PDA

View Full Version : Keymod

FortTom
1 February 2014, 22:26
Hey,
I need some serious technical expertise in building this, maybe my last AR.

But I'll just start with this one question. What, if any advantage is gained by going to Key Mod, over standard 1913 rails?

Any insight you can provide, would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your time.

FT

UWone77
1 February 2014, 22:45
KeyMod was developed as a superior interface to 1913. However, as of right now, direct connect accessories are just not there. A lot of people using KeyMod, have been so far limited to using rail covers (not exactly the break through keymod accessory) or using a short 1913 rail to attach to the keymod, then attach your favorite accessory to the 1913 rail. Seems redundant to me, and more possible points of failure.

However, KeyMod is open source, so it's been adopted fairly quickly by numerous manufacturers. I have no doubt more actual accessories are coming soon, but they just aren't there yet.

zero7one
1 February 2014, 23:28
I have no doubt more actual accessories are coming soon, but they just aren't there yet.

If only someone would create some new ideas....they could make a lot of money to fill the void.

DMViergever
2 February 2014, 03:43
Keymod is everywhere. Look at the back of your wall clock, shelving at wal-mart and. A bunch of other places. The big advantage, again when things become available, will be across the board compatability. Being able to use brand x's product with brand y's handguard will be great. Not having rails pre attached saves diameter and really makes for some lightweight, slim handguardsthat will be easy to modify. Again instead of having to stick with one brands rail attachment or product you can buy any. That SHOULD keep accessory prices down too...once they start being made. One thing I hated about my modular handguards was the fact that a 2 inch piece of rail was 15 or 20 bucks. Then you had the cost of whatever you were attaching to said rail.

I wish companies would quit adding QD sockets to the end of their KM handguards, it is ridiculous. The actual keymod whole itself WORKS AS A QD SOCKET!!!! I want my liht as far out on my 7 or 9 inch handguard as possible yet the furthest point of attachment is strictly QD socket. This is silly because anything you mount will now be blocked by you sling. If someone wants a QD socket all tge way out at the end they can simply use they KM whole.

rob_s
2 February 2014, 07:50
I still prefer picatinny for a variety of reasons, but I'll probably grab a BCM KMR when there is a length I like and a VFG available.

I like QD sockets at the muzzle end, especially if they allow a 45* anti-rotation.

DMViergever
2 February 2014, 12:28
I am pretty intrigued by the KMR. I have several KM handguards for review right now but the KMR and the PWS have been the two that appeal most to me. I haven't had hands on the KMR like I have the PWS but the PWS sure fits the hand good.

FortTom
2 February 2014, 12:55
I am pretty intrigued by the KMR. I have several KM handguards for review right now but the KMR and the PWS have been the two that appeal most to me. I haven't had hands on the KMR like I have the PWS but the PWS sure fits the hand good.

Thanks, all. I have two rifles with Centurion C4 rails, and most of that is a waste also. One holds an Aimpoint, and the front MBUS. Most of the rest is filled with LaRue clips. I have a BCM light weight 16", and was thinking about a BCM KMR 16" Light Weight for this rifle. This will make 4, and if I build anything else, it'll probably be an A-10. I was hoping that their KMR had a small dia. It does have a top rail, for MBUS and a Aimpoint P.R.O.

I was just getting a bit bored with what I had, and 3 rails, except for the QD sling mount, and a Inforce WML, it's all wasted space, in my particular case.

I'm in no hurry (I always say that, but once things get moving, I just go on a spree and buy everything), but this time, I'm going to take my sweet time and see if I can come up with something slightly different that meet the same requirements that I want it for.

Good call on the Wal-Mart shelve analogy, I've been seeing them forever, and didn't recognize them on a hand guard. Go figure..

Thanks again to all that helped me with this.

FT

GOST
2 February 2014, 12:57
The whole keymod idea is pretty cool, but personally I don't find it that attractive. My most recent build wears a 13" MK4 non keymod. I personally don't understand a keymod version of the MK4, I do however understand the MK5. The rail I'm waiting on isn't the KMR but the Gear Sector.

UWone77
2 February 2014, 13:14
The whole keymod idea is pretty cool, but personally I don't find it that attractive. My most recent build wears a 13" MK4 non keymod. I personally don't understand a keymod version of the MK4, I do however understand the MK5. The rail I'm waiting on isn't the KMR but the Gear Sector.

If you like the non-keymod MK4, better get'em while you can. Geissele is discontinuing them.

Eric
2 February 2014, 13:28
Key Mod isn't for everyone and I don't look at it as a replacement for the regular 1913 rails, rather just another option. Since the tube is more simplistic in design, there is less machine work involved, which can help keep the cost down a bit. Sometime this year I'll be picking up one of the KM tubes for a 16" LW barrel build.

UWone77
2 February 2014, 13:41
FT,

If you're concerned about wasted space, look at the CMR. Obviously, you have a couple of C4 rails, so you already know about Centurion's quality. Instead of worrying about wasted space or getting KeyMod specific accessories, you can just attach 1913 rails where you need them on the CMR.

And... why might this be your final build ?

GOST
2 February 2014, 13:53
Yeah I saw where WO had their last ones on sale. Saving money for some new optics, more rails are going have to wait.

FortTom
2 February 2014, 13:54
FT,

If you're concerned about wasted space, look at the CMR. Obviously, you have a couple of C4 rails, so you already know about Centurion's quality. Instead of worrying about wasted space or getting KeyMod specific accessories, you can just attach 1913 rails where you need them on the CMR.

And... why might this be your final build ?

This will be 4th AR. (One Colt). 56 years old, and with the associated aches and pains, and can't really train hard (mostly knees). In the case of a major national disaster, 4 are at least 2 more than I can carry. Nearly same guns getting redundant. Well equipped to take on a guerilla force of stampeding herds of turtles (common in this area).:P

Wouldn't mind having a 7.62 to play with. Plus, I say that with every Glock, M&P, 1911, AR I get...."this is absolutely the last..." Yeah, I'll go with that.

FT[:D]

scotheocelot
3 February 2014, 07:00
I have owned the typical 1913 rail, Troy Alpha rail and the NSR Keymod rail. The 1913 was the least favorite for my taste. I like to get as close to the barrel as possible with a solid "C" clamp grip. The 1913 rail is rough on the hands unless you wear gloves on the regular basis. I totally understand how military applications need full rails to adapt different accessories for mission specific duties. That being said I am not military. I choose to take control and accuracy over accessory mounting options.

My current setup for my (2) AR's is:
NSR Keymod w/NSR Hand Stops (5.56)
Troy Alpha w/Squid Grips/Troy Vert Grip (7.62)

I LOVE the keymod simply because it saves weight (extremely light) and they generally get your hand closer to the barrel. My rifle feels more like an extension of my body/arm.

AaronP220
3 February 2014, 07:19
I have a Geissele Mk4 half key mod that I'm pretty excited to try. It's my first key mod rail and it seems to be the new thing. The one thing I have noticed is I'll be adding key mod able 1913 rail sections so I can attach all the things I like to attach. Seems like there's an extra step in there, like mentioned before. Hopefully in the near future companies will see that it's kind of pointless to have a key mod just to add a rail section. At least it is in my opinion.

FortTom
3 February 2014, 18:52
O.K, I've got a BCM 16" "Lightweight" with Centurion C4, so I'm considering buying their 16" Lightweight KMR. I also like the fact that the barrels are CHF'd. I wan't this rifle, like my last to be light and quick pointing, without having to go to a SBR and all the NFA stuff. I'm hoping someday to receive a call back from BCM, concerning the dia. of the upper, but they are quick to take your money, but don't rate too high on my list as being polite. I'm hoping that the DIA. of the hand guard is quite a bit less than a 4 rail C4.

It also has a railed top, so an Aimpoint and MBUS will mount right up. Can't think of any "keymod" attachment's I'd need except a QD sling mount. I think it'd be a little silly to have to buy a rail attachment to put on a keymod handgaurd, sounds like it is a little ass backwards, but I can't find a keymod QD sling mount. Maybe one would pop up soon?

Anyone have any thing that they would like to add, or comment on, or dissuade, or whatever? You're opinions are all welcomed, and opinions valued, unless this thing goes south, then I'll just blame it all on you...just kidding of course.[:D]

FT

Slippers
3 February 2014, 19:12
There's a couple keymod QD sling mounts. Noveske and IWC make them.

FortTom
3 February 2014, 19:23
There's a couple keymod QD sling mounts. Noveske and IWC make them.
Thanks, I'll check that out!

FT.

mustangfreek
4 February 2014, 02:03
I have the noveske QD keymod mount and it works just fine.

I also have a few keymod rails, the noveske NSR and the fortis rev rail. Now i wasnt so much after the "keymod" fad but i like the ability to add something later down the road where i want, plus they are very light. I will add a light to the one gun and hoping they come out with some keymod handgrips off some sort soon.

I have the NSR on a spikes/fn chf medium contour barrel and the setup is nice for a range or do whatever gun, the fortis is mounted on my latest build that is a comp/brake away from being done, with a BCM LW chf barrel underneath it, and when mocked up it is a very light and module setup and im sure i will like this setup also.

scotheocelot
4 February 2014, 06:36
One more thing to keep in mind. Manufacturers have already given wind to keymod specific lights, grips and other accessories. It is only a matter of months until you see an Inforce light with a keymod attachment (foregoing the need for a 1913 rail). When this happens accessories will be so easy to access being mounted direct on the rail with absolute ZERO gap. The one thing I don't like about 1913 rails is some accessories "float" a few mm's off the rail. Again, not a big deal if you wear gloves as most operators do, but annoying to the naked hand. Well mine at least.

Here is my keymod NSR K9 w/QD
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/scotheocelot/5F0383F3-CE0F-43EA-A552-988DE9BC4EA0_zps15wmjreu.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/scotheocelot/media/5F0383F3-CE0F-43EA-A552-988DE9BC4EA0_zps15wmjreu.jpg.html)

AaronP220
4 February 2014, 07:23
I think I really like the new style that MEGA and a few others are putting out with 7 sided keymod systems. I really want to try those. My on my next build.

kdcgrohl
4 February 2014, 12:44
However, as of right now, direct connect accessories are just not there.

Knight's, Noveske and IWC all have a variety of KeyMod accessories available now.
http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10
http://shopnoveske.com/collections/parts/keymod
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/search/?keywords=keymod

UWone77
4 February 2014, 14:00
Knight's, Noveske and IWC all have a variety of KeyMod accessories available now.
http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10
http://shopnoveske.com/collections/parts/keymod
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/search/?keywords=keymod

I don't see any significant accessories, other than the previously mentioned 1913 panels and rail covers. Still pretty limited in what you can get.

Azurebeat
17 February 2014, 10:30
I know that Samson has announced that they are making keymod based accessories this year. So they're coming.

My opinion on the keymod is that if you wanted a modular handguard, get a keymod one. Keymod gets any advantages of a modular rail, with the ability to use common accessories without 1913 rails attached to it. If you have enough stuff that a quad rail system is a good idea, or you just want that style, keymod doesn't change that. I doubt that things like laser/IR illuminators are going to be using keymod.

FortTom
17 February 2014, 14:50
I don't see any significant accessories, other than the previously mentioned 1913 panels and rail covers. Still pretty limited in what you can get.

Yeah, I didn't find much useful stuff either, but I did get what I needed, a QD sling mount and a hand stop, both from Impact. A small piece of rail to mount my Inforce WML light won't hurt, considering I don't need the weight or bulk of a full rail, just for that.

Part of the allure of Key Mod, at least for me, was the lack of bulky unused rails. All of those holes milled into the hand guard (magnesium - aluminum) on the BCM KMR, aren't going to hurt a thing if unused, and serve to further lighten the guard. And a top rail for an Aimpoint Scope, and set of MBUS sights is just right, for me.

So I'm good to go, like it is. A super Operator, who might need Lasers, IR, Night Vision, Flashlights, barrier grabbers, and who knows what else surely would find one, a KeyMod HG, pretty useless at this time.

And, as more useful accessories become available, I'm ready.[:D]

FT

gatordev
17 February 2014, 15:47
Damn. I thought I had finally decided on a CA 10" rail for a soon to be built 12.5" rifle, but now that I've looked up the KMR...6.1 oz (plus a QD and hand stop) is pretty interesting. And a bit more expensive. Thanks FT. Thanks for making life more complicated. First world problems are a bitch.

FortTom
17 February 2014, 16:05
.... Thanks FT. Thanks for making life more complicated. First world problems are a bitch.
That's me, anytime or anywhere I can be of service.. hey, anytime you get home "wing side up" you ought to be happy so a hand guard problem is just gravy...[:)]

FT