PDA

View Full Version : Got my upper back from ADCO!

rxer311
3 February 2014, 16:26
I have a rifle that had a Rainier Arms Select 14.5" barrel with pinned XTC and a MI SS rail that had a failure of the gas block. My VLTOR clamp on block had one of the bolts shear and it was leaking gas. My first reaction was, "oh crap, this sucks." But, then I got to thinking outside of the box. With a little help from ADCO and a new Cerakote receiver set from Aero Precision, I now have this rifle.

First, I picked up a flaming pig flash hider and seekins MCSR rail. I then sent it to ADCO to have the comp cut off and the barrel shortened, rethreaded, and recrowned. They then installed and pinned the KX3 flaming pig and fit my Seekins rail over it for a 16" legal barrel. Here is the result.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/rxer311/P1040980_zpseda5eb58.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/rxer311/P1040978_zps78cb5760.jpg

KevinBLC
5 February 2014, 02:08
Just curious, how come you didn't contact VLTOR and tell them your gas block failed? Seems like they owe you a new gas block!

GOST
5 February 2014, 12:41
Curious how much does that 13.7" weigh?

rxer311
5 February 2014, 16:34
Just curious, how come you didn't contact VLTOR and tell them your gas block failed? Seems like they owe you a new gas block!

I am in contact with them now. Waiting to hear back with what they say.

rxer311
5 February 2014, 16:35
Curious how much does that 13.7" weigh?

I will weigh it when I get a chance. I have been down with the flu this week.

jymbeux
5 February 2014, 20:10
I had a bolt shear on a vltor gas block as well. Replaced the bolt with one from home Depot and it's been fine since. Your build looks good!

Jerry R
6 February 2014, 07:34
Nice looking build. I like your choice of Cerakote color. Which mag-release extension is that?

rxer311
6 February 2014, 08:39
Nice looking build. I like your choice of Cerakote color. Which mag-release extension is that?

ODIN Works

John Hwang
6 February 2014, 09:23
ADCO does great work. Great people & fast service!

DMViergever
6 February 2014, 13:49
Good looking build, I am doing some review work for Odin right now and was really impressed with the XMR. It is meant for the three gun world but we had a snow storm the other day and it was great with gloves. For as much extra as you get it sure doesn't catch and bang against stuff like others I have ran, lays very flat.

rxer311
6 February 2014, 14:16
Good looking build, I am doing some review work for Odin right now and was really impressed with the XMR. It is meant for the three gun world but we had a snow storm the other day and it was great with gloves. For as much extra as you get it sure doesn't catch and bang against stuff like others I have ran, lays very flat.

I am fitting all of my rifles with this little piece. It really adds to the ergonomics of the rifle and has great functionality. As you said, it lays flat and doesn't catch on stuff, but actually aids in mag changes.

rxer311
6 February 2014, 14:18
Next time I get down to Lanco Tactical I am going to put a Lanco Tactical Gripstop on the hand guard.

rxer311
11 February 2014, 16:00
VLTOR will NOT replace the gas block...

GOST
11 February 2014, 17:16
Surprised to hear that.

rxer311
11 February 2014, 18:24
I wasn't really surprised because I wasn't expecting them to replace it. But, I am disappointed because the part failed and they aren't going to fix it. Basically they said the screw was probably over torqued, and since my gunsmith did the work so I could not tell them what the screws were torqued to, they would not replace it.

UWone77
21 February 2014, 20:20
I forgot to ask you before, how did the gas block fail ?

rxer311
4 March 2014, 19:18
The tension screw failed and sheared in half. It was installed and was fine. Shot about 700 rounds through the rifle and it fell out when I went to clean the rifle.

KevinBLC
8 March 2014, 02:11
The tension screw failed and sheared in half. It was installed and was fine. Shot about 700 rounds through the rifle and it fell out when I went to clean the rifle.

I don't understand how that was anything but a gas block failure on their part.

GOST
8 March 2014, 04:15
My guess is that they are gonna say the installer may hav stripped during installation.

KevinBLC
9 March 2014, 00:18
That's a good point. I wonder if they would have warrantied it if he could prove he used a professional gunsmith? Or would the gunsmith be liable? Doesn't seem like the screws would be a high stress part, but the again, I'm still very much a newbie.