PDA

View Full Version : Review: G-Code / Haley Strategic INCOG IWB Holster System

voodoo_man
7 February 2014, 09:46
http://i.imgur.com/hirbBQc.jpg

Description:
Per the manufacturers website this holster is injection molded plastic, not kydex, wrapped in "tactical fuzz" which is a type of synthetic suede (per their description - "Tactical Fuzz is a "suede like" synthetic outer laminate. This outer layer presents a softer surface that significantly reduces noise during movement, lowers the rigs reflective signature in the IR spectrum and blends with the surrounding environment. "Tactical Fuzz" has a near 0% water absorption rate and is permanently bonded to the holsters outer surface. Tactical Fuzz is an available upgrade on ALL G-Code holsters (except for the SOC Rig) and magazine carriers as well as select G-Code accessories.") and is a "minimum bulk, multi-positional, deep concealment holster. Its distinctive features enable the concealed carry of a handgun from a variety of carry positions while facilitating the acquisition of a full firing grip on the weapon prior to the draw. Inherent are adjustments in the depth of carry, angle of carry, the position of carry and security of carry."

I was given this holster by a friend to review it. I wore it for about two weeks, hitting the range twice with it (for about 5 hours totals) and while that is not up to the standard I normally require for a solid review of something, especially an EDC item like a holster, I have hit the ceiling with this holster. The holster runs $69.95 plus shipping and a 4-6 week wait period. The holster can be purchased in various different colors and patterns (even kryptek!), for what purpose I do not know since it is designed to be a concealed holster.

The holster measures about 4 inches wide at its widest point (plastic clip end to trigger guard cut out), it measures 5.875 inches from bottom of holster to top of sweat guard, it measures 1.875 inches deep (opening for pistol). With the G-Code clips in their standard position once attached to pants and a belt, there is .5 (half) an inch of clearance from the top of the pants to the first finger groove of a Gen4 G19. The Glock is exposed about 3 inches from the same position from the top of the pants to the end of the slide. What does all this data mean? I'll explain as I am talking about master grip/grip placement, holster design, comfort and overall usage.

Read the full review here: http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/02/g-code-haley-strategic-incog-iwb.html

tact
7 February 2014, 11:14
I for one appreciate this as I am wanting to try another AIWB as that is all I use off duty. I almost ordered one before you posted this. I'll try your other recommendation.

Thanks again.

Eric
7 February 2014, 17:54
It sounds like the classic case of jack of all trades, master of none. Nice review with lots of great photos.

voodoo_man
7 February 2014, 19:30
It sounds like the classic case of jack of all trades, master of none. Nice review with lots of great photos.

Thanks, I wish everyone thought like this but I'm getting a good bit of flak for it since it wasn't the cookiecutter kneepad response.

Computalotapus
8 February 2014, 06:46
Good review lots of information and illustrations. I have used battleholsters for my OWB holsters think I will just order my AIWB/IWB holsters from him as I have enjoyed everything from him so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric
8 February 2014, 07:14
Thanks, I wish everyone thought like this but I'm getting a good bit of flak for it since it wasn't the cookiecutter kneepad response. I hear you on that. I've had similar issues, to include an angry phone call from a well known manufacturer who was bent that I pointed out an obvious flaw in their product.

voodoo_man
8 February 2014, 07:27
I hear you on that. I've had similar issues, to include an angry phone call from a well known manufacturer who was bent that I pointed out an obvious flaw in their product.

This whole thing goes towards my complaint of companies not allowing people to T&E their product outside of the "chosen few" who only say good things and don't actually use the product in the way it supposed to be used.

Then when someone negative or critical is said about the product everyone starts bashing the person because he decided not be a duck.

DMViergever
8 February 2014, 07:43
When I posted my Fortis review I got a ton of flaming messages. I have also had manufacturers tell me I was wrong and uninformed... Good write up.

gatordev
8 February 2014, 15:42
I'm always amazed how the firearms industry seems to have so many drama queens. And it's not just from one particular group of people. It comes from all sides...some manufacturers, dudes with huge post counts, SMEs, website owners, etc.

If the gear works for you, great. If you have some valid points that don't work for your particular use (like voodoman's issues), that's just more data for the end consumer to digest. So much drama.

When I posted my Fortis review I got a ton of flaming messages. I have also had manufacturers tell me I was wrong and uninformed... Good write up.

Do you have a link? I love my Fortis rail, but I'm always curious to read things about things I use that I may not have thought about.

Mike
28 February 2014, 13:29
I think that there must have been something wrong with the holster you reviewed.

I bought an INCOG off of a guy a few weeks ago and slowly start to make my own experiences.

For one, I can say that the G19 the holster was build to accomodate does sit snug in the holster. After reading your review I tried to shake it out but it sits tight and stays locked in the kydex.

I have to agree that I don't understand why the front sight is unprotected. I can't really see any reason not to extend the kydex body all the way down to the front. That would be a big plus.

Other than that for now the holster seems to be OK for a guy of my build (read on the upper limit of an acceptable BMI because food is good... [:D] ) to be worn at 12'o clock, even when sitting in a car. So far I never wore an IWB holster at 12'o clock but the INCOG seems to be acceptable to do so. I will continue to try shifting it around a bit to see if I find better positions.
When shifting the belt buckle of the 5.11 Operator Belt left until it hits the first left belt loop of the pants gives the setup enough clearance to fit nicely. The clips lock solidly into the belt and keep the holster steady.

It conceals nicely under a loose polo shirt when worn at 12'o clock, which is the main reason I wanted to try it out.

The 3-4 millimeter gap at the rear of the triggerguard is a non-issue IMHO.
NDs and ADs happen when holstering the gun while the finger is still within the triggerguard or something (like a piece of clothing) gets wedged between trigger and holster. This happens while the obstacle (be it finger or something else) is in front of the trigger, not behind it.
The other dangerous situation is during the draw, when the trigger finger is getting too close to the trigger due to bad technique, which may cause an ND.

I don't see any chance of anything relevant getting through that miniature gap and even if that should be the case that object is then still behind the trigger, not in front of it.

That said, I also see no reason why those additional few millimeters couldn't have been added to the kydex body.

For me the ability to remove the holster in an instant is actually quite important as I have to cross several borders when travelling through Europe. I do have a carry permit for some european countries, some of them don't allow carry but let you transport the guns locked away and at some borders I have to check in our guns with the border guards. Thus an easy-to-remove setup that can be taken off in a second without requiring a semi-striptease in the public is a big plus for me.
The INCOG is even better at that than a CQC Serpa with the paddle.

For now I am still working on the drawing technique, thus I won't comment on that but for now tend to agree with what vodoo_man wrote in his review. I'll give it some more time to finally decide.

Next holster to test will be a Griffon Industries IWB which at least seems to address that front sight and trigger guard topic, covering both completely. As far as I see it it's a direct competition to the INCOG.

KevinBLC
1 March 2014, 12:25
Other than that for now the holster seems to be OK for a guy of my build (read on the upper limit of an acceptable BMI because food is good... [:D] ) to be worn at 12'o clock, even when sitting in a car. So far I never wore an IWB holster at 12'o clock but the INCOG seems to be acceptable to do so. I will continue to try shifting it around a bit to see if I find better positions.

Best quote so far... thanks for being one of the guys who enjoys food and has no shame about it! :) I'm also looking at the Griffon Industries IWB, but as all good holsters seem to be, they are pricey, so I have to do some research and read reviews. Definitely post a review if you get one.

OP, awesome honest review. Thanks.

voodoo_man
2 March 2014, 08:44
Thanks for the replies.

From what feedback I have heard, this holster works well for bigger guys. No shame in it, of course, but bigger guys have more room for stuff around their midsection and do not take to pointy edges on kydex like guys like me (athletic built 6'0 in the 180 range). I have a buddy who is smaller than me and he can't even wear it, he said its almost painful because of the design.

As for retention, the holster I received I tightened all the screws first, because I did not understand why the retention was so poor. It did not help.