PDA

View Full Version : Ballistics Calculator Question

tappedandtagged
9 February 2014, 00:38
I recently swapped from an IPhone to a Android. Love the new system! When I went to re-download all my old apps, I noticed the Nosler Ballistic Calculator app that was free for Apple was $2 on Google Play. As I was about to pay for it I complained to a friend about it. He told me to check out another free ballistics calculator (Strelock- Russian for "shooter").

The free Strelok app has all the features I need, but I noticed it lacked one thing. Nosler's app had an input for bullet diameter whereas the Strelok doesn't.

My question: Does the bullet diameter mean anything when calculating bullet trajectory or wind drift or is it all about ballistic coefficient?

RiverRat
9 February 2014, 07:05
Bullet diameter does matter, but it is already baked into the ballistic coefficient so you shouldn't have to explicitly input diameter or caliber.

tappedandtagged
9 February 2014, 10:38
Bullet diameter does matter, but it is already baked into the ballistic coefficient so you shouldn't have to explicitly input diameter or caliber.

Great! Thanks for the explanation. Guess I just saved $2!

FortTom
9 February 2014, 19:34
I've got that app on my Android Razr Maxx. I like it pretty well. Turned several friends on to it also. I can't remember if it was totally free, or if I "upgraded" to a paid version, but either way it was at most a couple of bucks. Not a bad deal.

FT