PDA

View Full Version : Charging Handle Recommendations?

FortTom
9 February 2014, 19:53
I've pretty much got this builds parts, or at least on order, only waiting for BCM to spit out some Lightweight KMR uppers.
I am not really overly impressed by either of my existing weapons charging handles, especially after reading reviews here, of others.
Basically I've got two, my Colt uses a stock colt. My others are a PRI gas buster. Using with a NiB BCU. Gas didn't bother me, oil did, but the BCU needing little to no lube to blast into my face, well I didn't think that through very well. Last build was a BCM mod 4, and I'm just not real excited about it either. Both are o.k., and work as advertised, but I just don't get much more, for lack of a better word, "service" out of either. I looked at the Fortis Hammer, but, as minor as this might seem, I'd rather have one with a subdued finish, not a dull nickel finish.

I'd like one that I can grab with either hand, big and easy to get a good grab on without even looking, but not so huge as to have the handle poke me in the groin when carrying it.

If you would, maybe make a recommendation, that I can look at, and maybe point out your reason(s) for your liking it, I'd really appreciate it. Like I said, I think I've got every part or at least on order, other than the upper, and obviously, a charging handle.

I respect all of your opinions, appreciate your input, and thank you ahead for your time.

Thanks,

FT

GOST
10 February 2014, 01:21
The Rainier Arms Raptor is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Computalotapus
10 February 2014, 04:28
I have tried the basic CH that came in my S&W, a Phase 5 ambi EBL, BCM Gunfighter and the RA Raptor. Hands down the raptor is my favorite charging handle. Clean lines make it look like it belongs. The handles are easy to get your hand to either the fire control or support hand into position to charge.
The phase 5 one I don't like how I have to squeeze the right side to activate the release. Being in Michigan the BCM snags on my jacket when grabbin the weapon from the slung position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skd_tactical
10 February 2014, 06:40
Agreed!! The Raptor.

SOS

rob_s
10 February 2014, 10:50
I'll be honest, I don't get the ambi charging handles on uppers with a forward assist. The FA just gets in the way.

But then, I'm kind of an anti-fan of all this ambi hoopla anyway. i guess I learned to operate the gun before there were doo-dads to "fix" it so I never knew I was supposed to need them.

As for a charging handle, I'm using the BCM Gunfighter in all three sizes now. That's my preferred, and the medium sized one is the one I keep on hand as a spare and would default to.

FortTom
10 February 2014, 12:30
Seems to be a lot of love for the Raptor, I don't know anyone who has one to try, so I guess I'll try one based on recommendations.

Thanks to all that answered,

FT

MoxyDave
10 February 2014, 13:21
I like the Raptor as well. I've tried all the major ones and I keep coming back to the Raptor. Give it a shot, if you don't like it I'll buy it off you [:)]

FortTom
10 February 2014, 14:12
I like the Raptor as well. I've tried all the major ones and I keep coming back to the Raptor. Give it a shot, if you don't like it I'll buy it off you [:)]
MD, If I don't like it, I'll give it to you[:D]
I've got time. I'm waiting for an email from BCM letting me know when their next batch of Lightweight KMR lowers are ready to ship. This (the CH), is the last piece that I need, before the upper gets here.

Thanks,
FT

FortTom
10 February 2014, 14:23
I'll be honest, I don't get the ambi charging handles on uppers with a forward assist. The FA just gets in the way.

But then, I'm kind of an anti-fan of all this ambi hoopla anyway. i guess I learned to operate the gun before there were doo-dads to "fix" it so I never knew I was supposed to need them.

As for a charging handle, I'm using the BCM Gunfighter in all three sizes now. That's my preferred, and the medium sized one is the one I keep on hand as a spare and would default to.

Rob, I went through the same thing, after I retired from the military. I didn't need this or that new "gizmo"..and then I took a class. I didn't expect much, after 20, but my world changed, with new ideas about tactical/combat shooting. Same thing with accessories. I was slow to change and adopt new things. When I retired, the M4 rail platform was just getting going, and I didn't know much about it. If someone would have told me then that I would be shooting through "plastic" (MBUS) sights, someday, I would have looked at them like they had three heads. But we were always taught to "adapt - improvise - overcome", and I started looking around me more, especially with the "younger" generation, and became interested in things I never thought I would. Heck, my LMT lower was my first ambi safety, if that says anything. I can only speak for myself, and my personal tastes, but sometimes, I've found, more is better. Like cleaning NiB bolt tails with gun scrubber, and "scraping" them with my thumbnail.[:D] Now I'm waiting for a KMR railed upper...go figure.

FT

gatordev
10 February 2014, 16:56

Which kind of leads me to my overall question that I haven't been able to come up with a solid answer for... Under what circumstances do I need to use my strong hand to actuate the charging handle? I mean that as a serious question. The things I've come up with are either in a competition shooting weak side, where I can just actuate it with my weak hand anyway, or during a class doing one-handed drills assuming my one limb has been taken out of play. But how often will my limb be out of play and I need to keep shooting? I can think operationally that *might* be an issue, but if that were the case, and I had a M4 in my possession, chances are it would be an issue weapon with a standard handle anyway.

Because of the above, I just tend to grab a BCM MOD 4 whenever I need a new CH. So what am I missing? I'm sure I don't know what I don't know, so I'm curious how many other scenarios I'm not thinking about.

FortTom
10 February 2014, 17:55
Good points. Especially still being active duty w/ standard issue weapon. I would have thought the exact same thing, Gator. My answer would take up way to much room, but I'll take the short route. I didn't consider myself the be all and know all, as far as combat with a rifle, when I retired. I was talked into taking a class with a friend, and my initial reaction was yawn!.

What a wake up call that was. I was rolling, spinning and generally doing things I would have never thought of doing in a gun fight. Without interjecting my opinion too much, I'll take whatever advantage I can get, and if I never have a need for an ambi CH, then so be it. In fact, I truly hope things never come to that, outside of training. If I go with the raptor, it will be my first ambi CH. I have 3 rifles with number 4 waiting on an upper. The Colt is stock, and the other two wear a BCM mod 4, and a PRI Gas Buster. They are ok, but I'm not really excited by either.

Mako comes to KY, usually every year, which also allows me to visit relatives across the state. If my knees can handle it, they have, or in the past, had a intermediate class. If they come this year, I'm taking everything (guns), and maybe even another pistol class. I'll find out then.

My point is, you make perfect sense, but now that I'm no longer restricted to an issue weapon, I can have an ambi CH, and may come to like it very much. On the other hand, it might prove useless, or I might fall in love with it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but I can see a possible upside, and no downside, so it could be a wash.

I had eyeballed them in the forum for a while, and got several recommendations for one (the Rainier Raptor), so, I'm going to try it. At worst, I lost 85 bucks, if, for some reason I don't like it. On the otherhand, even if it proves to be of no use, it's not hurting anything, being an ambi.

Just my take on it,
Respectfully,

FT

UWone77
10 February 2014, 18:21
I like the Raptor only because I'm a lefty. $90 for a charging handle is a steep investment for anyone running an AR as it amounts to basically 10% of the rifles cost.

If you're not a lefty, a BCM Mod 3 or 4 is the way I'd go. Not only is it beefier than a mil-spec handle it's cheaper than a Raptor.

FortTom
10 February 2014, 19:07
Hmmmmmm..... Another valid point to think about, UW. Not sure about the 10% number, but it $95, for a CH is a bit steep for an unknown...Funny, UW. Picked out every component of this build, basically in a couple of days, after revisions, and I'm stuck on a CH[:D]

FT

Aragorn
10 February 2014, 19:51
I run the BCM and have never missed having an ambi feature. Even on drills involving shoulder/shoulder transitions I've never had the need to rack the CH while it was on my left, it's just not there frequently enough. The one lefty I know runs a BCM, he HAD an ambi, but promptly decided to go another way after nearly tearing off a fingernail on the FA.

mustangfreek
11 February 2014, 03:06
I run a bcm large on the spr and a raptor and fortis on the 16" guns, havent used either much , but i like both of them better then the bcm, probably the raptor a little more. i kinda choked on the price of the raptor for a while, then visited rainier arms during the summer and they had a tent sale/grand opening party and i couldnt resist one at the price. among other things..had to run to the atm..lol

rob_s
11 February 2014, 04:25
Tom, I spent 10 years as a gear queer. Always trying this new thing or that new doodad. Even got sent free samples of a lot of expensive new doodads. Even got paid to test and write about new doodads. I was shooting upwards of 5k rounds a year just in carbines, and taking at least two carbine classes a year and shooting in matches at least once a month. And I was doing almost the same number of rounds/classes/matches with the pistol.

I learned two things that matter over the course of that decade:
1) how to shoot
2) that I don't need doodads to do it

I also learned a bunch of other stuff, like how full of shills the industry is, how easily swayed people's opinions are for a minimal investment by a gear maker (I.e. One free item) without the "reviewer" even realizing it, that people new to the commercial AR market will inevitably fall for the hardware>software scam, and that nobody listens to advice they all have to learn it for themselves the hard way.

Eric
11 February 2014, 06:17
I'm late on the reply, but as others have already said, the BCM (MOD 3 is what I like) or Raptor is a good choice. I don't have any experience with the Fortis version.

Rob throws some common sense at us as well. Doodads are fine, if they serve a purpose and actually work. Too many aftermarket parts are purchased under the false assumption that they must be better.

GOST
11 February 2014, 06:48
I LOVE doodads, however I am not a LEO or even slightly tactical. I am ex-military, a crew chief not special forces or even slightly special, well maybe short bus special. I love to go out on the farm and play with about every firearm I can get my stubby hands on. I really don't know how many rounds I go through a year, I just shoot a lot. I may go out and run a drill or two then waste some lead on a few cow manure patties. I also like changing out parts like a little girl does clothes on her dolls. And I stick by my statement on the Raptor, it is the easiest and most comfortable CH to use on the market. And now I will be the first open gear queer in the NFL.

gatordev
11 February 2014, 10:52
What a wake up call that was. I was rolling, spinning and generally doing things I would have never thought of doing in a gun fight. Without interjecting my opinion too much, I'll take whatever advantage I can get, and if I never have a need for an ambi CH, then so be it. In fact, I truly hope things never come to that, outside of training. If I go with the raptor, it will be my first ambi CH. I have 3 rifles with number 4 waiting on an upper. The Colt is stock, and the other two wear a BCM mod 4, and a PRI Gas Buster. They are ok, but I'm not really excited by either.

For a class, I can certainly understand having something that helps with various drills. Also, probably the most important is the fact that you may just want the thing because you can. Who can argue with that?

I like the Raptor only because I'm a lefty.

Probably the best reason, right there. I was thinking about lefties when I asked my question, but forgot to type it.

FortTom
11 February 2014, 12:18
Tom, I spent 10 years as a gear queer. Always trying this new thing or that new doodad. Even got sent free samples of a lot of expensive new doodads. Even got paid to test and write about new doodads. I was shooting upwards of 5k rounds a year just in carbines, and taking at least two carbine classes a year and shooting in matches at least once a month. And I was doing almost the same number of rounds/classes/matches with the pistol.

I learned two things that matter over the course of that decade:
1) how to shoot
2) that I don't need doodads to do it

I also learned a bunch of other stuff, like how full of shills the industry is, how easily swayed people's opinions are for a minimal investment by a gear maker (I.e. One free item) without the "reviewer" even realizing it, that people new to the commercial AR market will inevitably fall for the hardware>software scam, and that nobody listens to advice they all have to learn it for themselves the hard way.

Not sure what you're saying. I wouldn't classify myself as a "gear queer"? The only thing on my rifles that are "extra" are LaRue clips, and an inforce light one the other.
Rest are optics, MBUS and upgraded components such as NiB bolts. Seeing that I must have a charging handle of some type, I just wanted some suggestions, and the Raptor is on my short list.

That being said, I guess I could regress to the 70's and 80's, replace my BCU's with phosphorus and spend as much time cleaning as shooting, hell just buy an old CAR. They worked, and didn't need "queer gear". Nor are my rifles worthy of posting on the 'net, as a joke, like the guns you see with every square inch of rail covered with some "tactical" piece of equipment. Fact is, I like mine pretty sparse and light. But I like options as well, and I can remember times, the class I mentioned, where an ambi CH would have been a blessing.

Anyway, I appreciate and value your's and everyone else's input, and the time and thought you guys put into it. As for the CH? My choice is still in the air. However, I did, last night, pull out the gun with the BCM Mod 4 CH, played with it for about 45 minutes or so, and while functional, I wasn't overwhelmed by it. Others like it, as testified in a post or two here.

Thanks much,

FT

FortTom
11 February 2014, 12:57
... Also, probably the most important is the fact that you may just want the thing because you can. Who can argue with that.
Probably the best reason, right there......

Ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.... There ya go, Gator![:D]

FT

rob_s
12 February 2014, 03:33
Not sure what you're saying.
Clearly.

My point is, I've been where you are, got free gear and got paid to be where you are, and came out the other side knowing that it doesn't matter. It's all just bullshit and marketing nonsense. But...

nobody listens to advice they all have to learn it for themselves the hard way.

FortTom
12 February 2014, 12:31
Clearly.

My point is, I've been where you are, got free gear and got paid to be where you are, and came out the other side knowing that it doesn't matter. It's all just bullshit and marketing nonsense. But...
I can certainly agree with that. Always the latest and greatest "gizmo" coming out. Initially gets all sorts of hoopla, then fades into obscurity. I've pretty much steered fairly clear of that, but have to admit, I've fell prey to over hyped products, a couple of times myself. Actually I think we're pretty much on the same page, more so than not.

FT

FortTom
12 February 2014, 13:31
The one lefty I know runs a BCM, he HAD an ambi, but promptly decided to go another way after nearly tearing off a fingernail on the FA.

Owwwwwww!

FT

skd_tactical
12 February 2014, 13:44
Owwwwwww!

FT

We all know fingernails are a crutch. Real men chew them off during the path to manhood.....

SOS

GOST
12 February 2014, 13:51
We all know fingernails are a crutch. Real men chew them off during the path to manhood.....

SOS

But mine grow faster than I can chew.

Computalotapus
12 February 2014, 15:07
But mine grow faster than I can chew.

That's why I wear gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOST
12 February 2014, 16:09
Gloves, you are very cunning.

bzdog
12 February 2014, 20:23
FWIW, just because you don't *need* something doesn't make it bad.

-john

GOST
13 February 2014, 04:18
FWIW, just because you don't *need* something doesn't make it bad.

-john

Can you design a wife friendly version of this quote?

bzdog
13 February 2014, 06:52
I may not *need* them, but I really, really dig my Raptor, AX556, BAD-ASS and PPQ (v1) and Ritter RSK for that matter.

-john

bzdog
13 February 2014, 06:55
Can you design a wife friendly version of this quote?

I doubt it.

;-)

-john