PDA

View Full Version : First Competition Shoot Experience

Computalotapus
16 February 2014, 17:38
Now before we get to far into this it isn't a sponsored competition and there was no prize money. I am a member at a Sportsman's Club that has a decent setup. We have a50yrd archery range, 50yd 22 rifle range, 25yd magnum pistol range for indoor facilities. For outdoor we have a 100yd blackpower range, 100yd rifle range with 22LR silhouettes, trap skeet range, archery range, action pistol pit, and a 100yd x 100yd action carbine course.

Today my boss (who is also a member) and I decided to go up and clear the action carbine of snow and run some drills. Last time both of us had been out to shoot was Dec 7th. After clearing and spending about an hour running some target identifying drills we notice a bunch of people gathering around that club house. Come to find out on Sunday club members get together to run what they called a 5x5x5 competition. So today I entered my first competition shoot against people I didn't know.

$2 gets you in no prize money to be given out, all the money goes back into the club. 5 stations each station you get 5 rounds to shoot at a 5" circle on a 8 1/2" x 11" paper and you have 5 seconds to do it from a concealed carry position. 5pts for each hit inside the circle, 3 pts for hitting the paper outside the circle, -10 pts for anything off the sheet of paper, 5pts for every full second you beat the time limit, -10 pts for each second after the time limit. So 125 is a perfect score but you can do better if you come in with 4.0 or lower on the clock. You have to shoot your EDC weapon and must draw from a concealed carry position. You have to use either factory ball or defense ammo, no competition loads allowed.

Basically they do this to get the CCW holders to actually come out and shoot their EDC. I have to say I was nervous because the only people I have ever shot against have been friends. To make things worse the boss throws out not only bragging rights at work but loser has to buy beer and lunch after. Luck was on my side as I scored 107 and the boss came in with a 98 due to a failure to feed on his 4th station. He was a couple hundredths of a second faster at each station. Most of my station times were 4.4 to 4.6 I did have a 3.91 on my 4th station. Only had one station that I had a complete miss which was at my first station and I am pretty sure it was my first shot and I will throw that up to being nervous.

I will be going back on Sundays to do this again.

FortTom
16 February 2014, 17:57
Sounds fun. My knees, at least for now, prohibit any realistic competition at all. Maybe that'll change, we'll see. I miss "club" matches, where the grand prize was free beer and maybe a couple of boxes of ammo. No attitudes, but bragging rights are bestowed upon winners. I'm trying to get into a private local club here, and do some steel plate shooting. In my experience, USPSA/IDPA santioned matches were shot by 99.9 percent great guy's, and one or two anal "Richard Craniums", who had to bitch and challenge every thing from inches in distance to challenging the accuracy of the club timers. Sometimes those matches were just ruined by the one or two. Sound like you guys got it right, keep it "local" or vouch in only people who don't cry like children, when they get their butt's handed to them on a plate. P.S. Unless your boss is also your father-in-law, I'd use your "bragging rights" judiciously, around him. I once pissed off the Sherriff of the county of a private range, I lived in, by giving him a good old "butt whooping". Not one of my smarter moves...[crazy]

FT

GOST
17 February 2014, 09:34
Sounds fun, I'd like to try one like that sometime.

Computalotapus
17 February 2014, 12:03
FT I think you would like this as there is no running involved basically you walk from station to station. At the first station the RO has you make the weapon ready by inserting the magazine and putting a round into battery and re-holster and conceal the weapon. At the sound of the buzzer you draw and fire 5 shots at you 5" target that is 5 yards away in under 5 seconds. Show clear, slide forward pull trigger and re-holster. Move to next station rinse and repeat until done.

It was fun and a good way to get the members out and shooting with their EDC. Granted a defensive pistol class would be more educational and I have that scheduled for later this spring. I have been practicing for 2-gun and have totally neglected practicing the draw from concealed carry position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FortTom
17 February 2014, 14:33
[QUOTE=Computalotapus;49538

..... and have totally neglected practicing the draw from concealed carry position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people, myself included, are guilty of that. Especially those confined to indoor ranges. I know our two indoor ranges don't allow draw - shoot, but one, if the range is empty during the off peak times like mid-week early afternoon, will over look it as long as you're the only shooter, and don't blow holes through the shelf on the barrier, or put holes in your shoes.

FT.

gatordev
17 February 2014, 16:01
C-14 ( I can never spell it right, so I've resorted to this):

Sounds like a great way to start. I'm with you and FT...I'm not into tight, sweat-wicking shirts and lots of attitude. I enjoy going out and competing against myself (first) and then other friendly competitors. I think it's important for folks who take shooting seriously and want to improve to go out and shoot against a clock. Not because it's the end-all way to shoot (I think a mix is much better), but because it's an easy way to induce stress.

I didn't get into ARs until 2010 and as a result, got back into shooting in general at that time. Before that, I didn't really have any idea on what I was doing with a rifle, other than occasionally qualifying on the M-16. I was lucky and found a fantastic range in FL where I could go and practice weekly. Once one of the employees recognized I was there regularly, he invited me to come and compete at the myriad of competitions they have there. I really appreciated him taking the time to come talk to me and encourage my participation.

After doing a bunch of target transition and reloading drills on my own, I thought the best place to start was with their monthly Steel Challenge. Not much movement, just shooting accurately against a timer. I was nervous and screwed up a few times, but I was safe and appreciated the experience. From there, I started with an Action Pistol and then a Rimfire rifle/Centerfire pistol 2-gun that was a lot of fun. I also realized that even though you're shooting the fun, low-recoil .22, you still have to apply the fundamentals. Definitely good stuff.

I was able to do a few more Rimfire and pistol events before I had to PCS, but it was a good introduction of competition protocol and experiences. From there, I took a class or two, and was able to find a club here in CA that allowed multiple disciplines to compete in. The hard part here is being able to practice. But I greatly valued that initial first exposure. Now that I'm about to PCS back to the same place and go back to that same range, I'm looking forward to continuing the experience.

FortTom
19 February 2014, 18:41
I think one thing to remember is that competition (most) does not train you for self-defense. Point is, in a competition course, or plates or IPSC/USPSA/IDPA, all will improve your shooting skills. However, in every case you get to "pre-solve" the problem, in this case being the course, or predetermine the stop plate in plate courses, etc.
In a real world situation, say a normally "safe" place, not gang bang city, everyone is window shopping, drinking latte's and generally strolling along. Boom, out of nowhere, Joe Psycopath pulls out a gun and starts firing into the crowd. The place is full of men, women and children. You're carrying concealed. In seconds, you need to draw, find a safe line of fire so as not to take out the kid in the stroller, and put one or two in Psyco's chest. I'd bet that less than 10% of people with CCW's could handle that situation.

It takes dedicated training, top notch real world schools (classes) not just one or two but as far as your wallet will take you, even time in a "kill house", or CQC, as fellow military will remember how sweat drenching those simulations can be.

I'm not insinuating that neither of you know this, but many people, and I mean many, many folks that I've met that compete in regular competition, feel that prepares them for the "unthinkable" situation. Not by a long shot. Also, these skills are perishable, like golf, shooting pool, etc. You have to take the class home with you and do the best with what and where you have to work with, to keep practicing the techniques you've learned. I think the axiom goes, when SHTF, you will drop to your lowest level of training, or comfort zone.

You have to be able to do this without pre-planning. Case in point, a gunman walks into a theatre in Aurora CO, through the back door and starts unloading on movie goer's.
In the confusion, and people screaming, running, diving to the floor etc, you must react instinctively, draw, and lay bad guy out with two or more to the torso.

Ask yourself this question and answer honestly. Me, I think my lack of a place to practice combat shooting, at least until I can see if I can get into this local club, no. It would take me precious time to recognize what was happening, and by the time I drew my weapon, probably much carnage would have occurred, that had I been better practiced, and "tuned up", I might have otherwise saved more lives.

Not trying to rant, and especially not trying to dissuade shooting in any type of competition, but just not fall into a false lull, thinking comp and SD are one in the same. Hell, I know cops that throw up a target at 7 yards once a year, and if they get 6 or 7 rounds into the black at a man sized target, they'll reel the target in, congratulate themselves with a "hmmmphhh" and smile, and then go out and play first line of defense. No disrespect to LEO's on this forum who do diligence and train constantly, putting themselves on the line, every day.

Again, competition is fun, will teach you trigger control, and build speed, and you can have a lot of fun in "club" matches, where, when the guns are put away, the winner drinks for free.

FT[:)]

Computalotapus
19 February 2014, 19:49
FT I couldn't agree with you more. I am prior enlisted and when I say I was USAF I am sure the Army and Marine guys will get a chuckle. Back when I was in we were called Security Police, now days it's called Security Forces. I was in a long time ago and will not even pretend to think that the skill sets I learned back then are even remotely present in me at this point in time.

After the wife picked me up a AR last year for a Father's Day present, I realized just how rusty I was. Even just going through the basic function checks felt alien to me. I look at local competitions as building self confidence with the weapon system. Manipulating the rifle and pistol should be second nature and nothing gets that done better than just spending time with it, shooting, competitions, drills. etc etc. I have a M&P 9mm that I have been and currently setting up for competition and I have decided to get a second one to be my EDC. The only difference between my EDC and the competition will be no extended magazine, extended mag release, and will go with the APEX duty trigger vs the competition trigger kit. Practice with what you will be using on and off the field.

I have classes lined up for defense pistol/carbine and low light classes. I want to take classes to know how to use the med kit I plan on putting on my competition belt. Bad things happen and I would like to know how to use the stuff I carry. Rule of thumb is take the classes go home practice it and when I think I am doing good take the class again to see what I forgot, then take the same type of class from a different well respected instructor and learn something new. I am like most people and just blue collar so maybe 2 classes a year is all I can get in. Would love to get in on some active shooter training with the local PD... might sign up to be a bad guy just to help out and might learn something in the process. The wife is in good with the Chief of Police and the Sheriff so maybe she can vouch for me haha

gatordev
20 February 2014, 16:02
Completely agree, FT. I enjoy competitions because it's an easy and inexpensive way to elevate the adrenaline slightly and attempt to manage it while competing against myself. It certainly isn't to mimic a combat/"domestic" situation.