PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower, Would you buy one?

UWone77
17 February 2014, 13:25
Aero Precision (http://www.aeroprecisionusa.com) is putting out some feelers about a Skeletonized Lower. Lately Aero Precision has put out some great lowers starting with their "PEW" lower then their Ghost Gun lower. However, this is a bit on the extreme side for those who like to own one of everything. This is still in the should we produce this product phase. Here's a sneak peak of what it will look like, and a short video.

I think we can see some of the drawbacks on a skeletonized lower, but I'm sure a ton of people would be interested in it for aesthetics. Don't shoot the messenger. [:D]

Would you buy one? Or is this not a good idea? [crazy]

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/1948048_766036960086872_151139629_n_zpsa6fd45e9.jp g (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/1948048_766036960086872_151139629_n_zpsa6fd45e9.jp g.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDPM2zozcM

voodoo_man
17 February 2014, 13:51
meh....

rxer311
17 February 2014, 14:02
I would definitely get one. I wouldn't use it as a fighting gun...but I would use it to build something fun.

Mrgunsngear
17 February 2014, 14:05
I'd get one. Okay… I'd get like 5 :D

FortTom
17 February 2014, 14:16
Probably not. Dirt test aside, you can't convince me this thing wouldn't be the largest crap catcher ever built. Also just waiting to catch a string from your jacket, or some other foreign object, from the outside to jam your weapon. If it were used for competition only, I'd still be skeptical, until it had been well tested and evaluated by individuals not working in the "sales" staff, who have had success or failure with it.

A little bling is cool, but this stuff is getting ridiculous. I say upgrade existing designs with increased/improved functionality, not introduce a "Star Wars" lower. Change, for the better, or even attempted improvement is cool, but change, just for the sake of change, is usually a monumental waste of time.

Change that to, absolutely not.[:)]

FT

eldogg
17 February 2014, 15:55
no..........

GOST
17 February 2014, 16:39
No

tappedandtagged
17 February 2014, 17:48
Nope. Stupid idea unless its only for a demonstration gun to show how an AR lower's internals work. But for something I'd shoot, nope.

MoxyDave
17 February 2014, 20:01
Not interested. If I want a lightweight lower for plinking, I'd pick up a composite ATI hybrid (http://www.americantactical.us/page/hybrid.html).

Aragorn
17 February 2014, 21:43
Probably not. Dirt test aside, you can't convince me this thing wouldn't be the largest crap catcher ever built. Also just waiting to catch a string from your jacket, or some other foreign object, from the outside to jam your weapon.

My thoughts exactly.

mustangfreek
18 February 2014, 02:09
No thanks

UWone77
18 February 2014, 02:15
No thanks

You know this is right up your alley... I have you signed up for 2 :)

mustangfreek
18 February 2014, 02:16
You know this is right up your alley... I have you signed up for 2 :)

Haha..sure if your buying..ill T&E one of them..[:D]

Eric
18 February 2014, 05:15
Nope. Even a piece of a blown primer or other debris in or under the FCG can lock it up. With that said, build it and there will be those who will buy.

Judicator
18 February 2014, 17:32
I would consider it if they somehow managed to put lexan in all the openings. But I'll pass

KevinBLC
19 February 2014, 11:19
I would consider it if they somehow managed to put lexan in all the openings. But I'll pass

LOL!!

Wasn't there a prototype of a clear upper and lower posted here last year?

Judicator
19 February 2014, 11:21
Oh no clue... But I more meant the skeletonized lower with the lexan covering all the openings to stop crap from getting in.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

KevinBLC
24 February 2014, 01:29
As I keep looking at this lower, I don't think I'm going to be interested in it. I'm just a range shooter, so for me it's not all the debris that could be caught in there. Looks like from Facebook, they plan to charge $125 for it because of the extra machine time. Also since no one will be stocking these lowers as they are a limited run, not only do I have to pay more for it, I also have to pay to transfer it through a local FFL. Just doesn't seem cost effective for a lower that doesn't do a whole lot.

UWone77
25 March 2014, 00:21
My buddy Chad from Aero Precision running the Skeletonized Aero Lower. Looks like it's getting closer to production.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/10014696_606722312738815_809331428_n_zps02c15ae4.j pg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/10014696_606722312738815_809331428_n_zps02c15ae4.j pg.html)

GOST
25 March 2014, 01:44
How light does a rifle need to be? V7 is making a lot of money selling lighter parts.

DMViergever
27 March 2014, 05:04
I have been toying with the idea of buying one of these to SBR. I have a take off upper from a carbon , 4" taccom .22 barrel, 7inch handguard and some DD iron sights a Minimalist stock and my suppressor. My daughter would have a cool toy to learn to shoot on that would be silly light and a heck of a conversation piece...

GOST
27 March 2014, 05:06
Hey DMViergever doesn't look like it has a lot of room for engraving.

DMViergever
27 March 2014, 07:17
Can also be engraved on the barrel from what I understand

GOST
27 March 2014, 08:25
Did not know that. I was under the impression that it had to be engraved on the serial numbered part(lower receiver) to make it a SBR.

DMViergever
27 March 2014, 10:28
I will look up the language if I can find it in my pile of stored crap on my p.c.

UWone77
27 March 2014, 12:32
My understanding is that the barrel is not part of the frame or receiver, so it's a no-go.

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

Battle Cock
27 March 2014, 12:42
My understanding is that the barrel is not part of the frame or receiver, so it's a no-go.

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

I agree about the barrel being ineligible for marking. What you posted seems to be for general firearms production. Are there more specific requirements for production of an SBR or other NFA item?

DMViergever
27 March 2014, 12:54
Hmm damn it...I thought I had something else on it but the guideline for building your own apply. Looks like there would be space on the front of the magwell however.

UWone77
27 March 2014, 13:00
I agree about the barrel being ineligible for marking. What you posted seems to be for general firearms production. Are there more specific requirements for production of an SBR or other NFA item?

Well if you are filling out a Form 1, you are manufacturing a firearm. I don't believe they make a distinction for "general" firearms production and a form 1. That and I'm too tired to look up all the ATF regs...

GOST
27 March 2014, 13:17
Hmm damn it...I thought I had something else on it but the guideline for building your own apply. Looks like there would be space on the front of the magwell however.

There probably is enough room on the front of the magwell. Trying to decide where I want to engrave my lower.

DMViergever
27 March 2014, 14:06
I did mine on the opposite side of the magwell. I have seen side of magwell, above trigger pins, couple other spots.

DMViergever
27 March 2014, 14:08
Well if you are filling out a Form 1, you are manufacturing a firearm. I don't believe they make a distinction for "general" firearms production and a form 1. That and I'm too tired to look up all the ATF regs...

This is correct, I tried to say that in my post above but was a bit tired myself. I just got some fresh beef sticks and a Monster from the meat processing plant I drove by so I am alive again!