PDA

View Full Version : SLR Rifleworks Sentry Adjustable Gas Block

UWone77
19 February 2014, 11:08
The next evolution is adjustable gas blocks from SLR Rifleworks (http://www.slrrifleworks.com/).
The Sentry Series Gas Blocks (http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57)

In production now.

.750 Set Screw versions available around March 1st.

Production Schedule

1st .750" Set Screw
2nd .750" Clamp-On
3rd .936 Clamp-On
4th .875" Clamp-On
5th .625 Set Screw

MSRP $114.95

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/61234_zps432ec5df.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/61234_zps432ec5df.jpg.html)

Judicator
19 February 2014, 11:15
Ooooh... Front A sight style please

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

ksenter
20 February 2014, 10:27
Im not sure I understand all the features. What is the "leaf spring detent" for?

Who doesnt love titanium coloring? But what the heck is it for?

MoxyDave
20 February 2014, 12:34
Im not sure I understand all the features. What is the "leaf spring detent" for?
Who doesnt love titanium coloring? But what the heck is it for?

Good question. I wonder if they have a video? In today's age there is no excuse for not having a good video up-front when you release a new product.

I suspect the leaf spring is used for making the adjustment have a positive "click" when you turn the screw.

ksenter
20 February 2014, 13:00
okay, I see what you are saying. The titanium leaf is the spring itself with the detent under the leaf. It says "click to adjust". So the titanium leaf is a spring to the SS detent listed. Makes sense now.

Definitely a different way of skinning the cat

UWone77
2 March 2014, 01:10
On arfcom, someone asked what the function advantage of these gas blocks were over their older DA-7 Gas Blocks. Here was their answer, some of which I found interesting. I guess there is a lot more that goes into designing a gas block. The leaf spring detent question was addressed:

A few things.

The foremost reason is the height from the top of the barrel bore to the top of the gas block is much less. We needed to do that to make compatibility 100% with all HG systems.
Especially on the 8/9 size blocks.

Our detent on the DA series would not allow that. You cannot get a smaller detent with enough spring pressure to work reliably.

What is done by others I will not do
If a tiny ball is used it must travel in a tiny bore with tight tolerances to keep it in place.
Any spec if grit, carbon or whatever stops that ball from moving. Multiply that over years of use and it just dose not work. Same with a tiny coiled spring in that same bore as the ball. You don't want that ball just pushed up against the adjustment screw totally. Disassembly becomes risky at best and it traps carbon and grit in place which is a killer on adjustable blocks.

Our detents on the DA's don't really have that problem as the ball gets to move around a bit when pushed up which helps clean it up a bit before it rests back down.
Being a captured ball in the detent allows the adj screw to be removed without losing parts and keeps the ball off the adj screw not trapping carbon.

The detent on the DA's are outsourced from Germany. I really wanted to mfg all the parts in house and keep the supply chain simple for the Sentry series.

The Sentry series are super low profile allowing AR15/AR10 use under pure tube HG's. Those types of HG's are super popular today so meeting that target was a no brainer.
As regular gas tube is now used on all Sentry blocks which is super nice. I'm sure JP Rifles will miss the DA8/9 straight gas tube sales. LoL

The Ti leaf spring allows more spring pressure for even more positive engagement along with total corrosion resistance. Getting rid of the coiled spring and ball is huge when looking at years and years of use. It relatively huge in comparison to a coiled spring as well.

The single screw on the side allows the entire gas block to be dissembled in less time than it takes to type this sentence. Total disassembly is nice if you go for 2 years without cleaning your rifle or you shoot a bunch of .22LR though it like i do.

The SS plunger under the leaf spring floats but is captured from totally bottoming out in the adjustment screw slots. This allows carbon to pass through without building up and also allows the adj screw to be removed without fear of losing the plunger.

The adjustment screw has been refined with a proprietary threading and shape allowing the same 100% gas seal at closed and even better fouling resistance. This is the heart of the block and the toughest to get right when making the blocks/screws in the thousands.

We have tried multiple surface treatments, materials over the years.
What we spec in production gives the best mix of reliability, production consistency and overall cost.

Thats a very small look at the endless hours trying to make the perfect wide range adjustable gas block.

Ha- wall of text.

Can I go eat dinner with my family now ? They are looking at me like

Thanks Todd