PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Bolt Carrier Groups - Where to buy?

UWone77
19 February 2014, 16:11
I usually buy complete Bolt Carrier Groups, but recently I picked up a couple of bolts (6.5 Grendel) for a future project, and thought I needed the rest of the carrier.

Anyone put together their own BCG's? If so where do you source them? I thought about getting the Phase 5 Tactical Stripped BCG,

http://phase5wsi.com/m16-m4-chrome-lined-black-phosphate-stripped-bolt-carrier.html

but then I would need to buy a gas key and fasteners. There are a few other options with the gas key already installed for about the same price as buying them separately. Probably not too many of you that do this, but I figure I'd throw out the question.

GOST
19 February 2014, 16:46
Joe Bob Outfitters has the Kies NiB carrier and the JP M16 carrier in stock. I had a Kies it was one of the most polished out carriers I've owned.

GOST
19 February 2014, 16:48
The JP is by far the best machined carrier I've seen but out of my price range.

Eric
19 February 2014, 19:05
I've got gas keys, new screws, sealant, torque wrench (inch/pound) and a MOACKS for proper staking. Let me know if you end up with a stripped carrier that needs to be finished.

mustangfreek
20 February 2014, 02:05
..6.5 grendel huh...:P.....I have looked into one also and have to say those 6.5 bullets are a very flat , fast shooting accurate round. My old man has a bolt action in 6.5x84 and its a tackdriver..

GOST
20 February 2014, 04:37
I've read with a proper setup that 6.5 Grendel will still be supersonic after 1000 yards.

RiverRat
20 February 2014, 10:13
UWone77,

Glad to see I'm not alone in starting on a 6.5 Grendel. It's the cartridge that I want to love, but dread building around.

It's not just excessive lead times (which are getting better), it's also the potential design and QC issues making me cautious. Reading about the recent Satern fiasco has me thinking I'm still effectively limited to only a couple of sources for both bolt and barrel. Knowing your experience to attention to detail, I'm pretty sure you got 0.136" recessed bolts from a reputable manufacturers (do I get 2 guesses on who?) and I see you're already banked a spare.

So, on the topic of carriers without bolts, I would run the following procedure:
- If less than two new 5.56 bolts in the parts bin, buy a quality complete BCG that matches the 6.5 bolt finish and drop the supplied 5.56 bolt in the parts bin.
- Otherwise, contact Young Manufacturing for availability of a carrier with key installed. I'm pretty sure they'll still supply parts this way, though the key may not be factory staked.
- If unavailable at Young Manufacturing, inquire at Bravo Company. Before 2013, they sold stripped carriers without the BCM logo. Now that we're back to a general in-stock situation, they might be willing to help out.
- If also unavailable at BCM, just buy a complete BCG and sell/donate your least favorite spare bolt to someone who doesn't yet have a spare.

Can't wait to see your bill of materials for the Grendel.

Judicator
20 February 2014, 16:42
Buy a nib x BCG and sell me the bolt for a good price :)

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

AR-10
20 February 2014, 18:19
I just happened to see this before reading this thread:

Link (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/611106/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-hotbuy-_-full_arstoner_20140220_1-_-Main_Image)

$49.99, I can't comment on the quality since I've never bought one.

I'm betting it has an investment cast gas key.