PDA

View Full Version : First "Smart Pistol" Hits Shelves in CA

MoxyDave
21 February 2014, 13:46
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/20/first-smart-pistol-shelves-in-california/

I hear about this sort of thing every so often. I believe it's far too complicated to ever be a useful design. Interesting to see something actually available for purchase. I wonder if anyone will buy one?

What do you think?

RiverRat
21 February 2014, 14:55
Riiiiiiiiighhttttt.......

Transponder recognition has come along far enough for this to be technologically feasible - just look at how toll roads collect fees for proof of concept. But it's next to useless as a self defense option.

If an intruder enters my house, the last thing I want to do is fumble for a wristwatch "key" to arm my self defense weapon - managing light options and correctly identifying the threat are more than enough for me to handle. Not to mention that pretty green light would instantly put the user at a disadvantage in low light conditions. Could you imagine that think glowing in your face in a darkened house? And if that intruder were to gain access to my sidearm, regardless of it being "smart" or not, his ability to actually use the firearm is probably a moot point.

IMO, its a fine example of a solution looking for a problem.

FortTom
22 February 2014, 14:22
Riiiiiiiiight.

IMO, its a fine example of a solution looking for a problem.

My sentiments exactly...and when a tragedy occurs because a "true believer" fails to stop an assailant and is killed, the CA thought police can then announce that no firearm is safe, and another round of bans will start.

I remember several years ago, some genius came out with a firearm that required you to wear a ring with a magnet in it to activate the trigger. Never saw one in a store, and if anyone with any common sense thinks one of these through, I doubt that they'll be adorning store shelves for long.

FT.

UWone77
23 February 2014, 12:44
The pistol sells for $1,399 and the watch retails for another $399 — more than double the cost of .40-caliber Glock handgun, according to the article.

My only question is... where are they buying their Glocks? :)

MoxyDave
7 March 2014, 13:51
"Oak Tree’s association with Armatix the last year was never satisfactorily explained, and their recent back pedaling trying to explain it away has unfortunately created an even bigger problem for those of us who care about our Second Amendment rights."

Well that was quick. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/california-smart-gun-store-prompts-furious-backlash/2014/03/06/43432058-a544-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html)

FortTom
7 March 2014, 15:20
"Oak Tree’s association with Armatix the last year was never satisfactorily explained, and their recent back pedaling trying to explain it away has unfortunately created an even bigger problem for those of us who care about our Second Amendment rights."

Well that was quick. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/california-smart-gun-store-prompts-furious-backlash/2014/03/06/43432058-a544-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html)

A strange tale, indeed, MD. I read the whole story today.

Seems that NJ has a law that states that when a company develops a true "smart gun" for sale, in any state, that all guns in NJ must then be "personalized" , which in NJ, means all other's (regular "dumb guns") will be banned from sale there. Everyone will then be forced to purchase "smart guns" or none at all. That was a major reason for Oak Tree Lodge, garnering so much bad attention, and generally being shunned from the firearms community. "Back pedaling" doesn't even begin to describe it. If it wasn't so scary, it would almost be funny.

I guess I'll never figure out the east coast, and how little support for 2A rights, and apathy towards preserving them. I have to believe that salivating liberals have to make up at least 51% of the populations of those states, most of which have some of the highest crime rates in the nation. The left coast, about the same.

FT.