PDA

View Full Version : Parallax Tactical FFSSR Review

DMViergever
23 February 2014, 21:07
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_3305_zps4d626115.jpg
I have had my hands on a slew of keymod handguards lately and aside from diameter and some basic functions all have been fairly similar. A lot of people are jumping into the keymod scene full force but others are certain that it is a fad and will go away like many of the products that people who have been in the AR world have seen in the past. Either way it is obvious that a lot of companies are fully invested in the picatinny accessory market, there are also somewhere around a bazillion attachments right now that work with it. Like I said, I have hand my hands on a lot of KM stuff recently and have decided that I like the platform and that it is not exclusive to a certain brand like many of the handguards out there that use detachable rail segments. This opens the field a little and will HOPEFULLY make it a bit cheaper if it sticks around. If not then we will still end up with an essentially proprietary modular system.

One thing is certain though and that is that there will always be a lot of choices as to rail mounted accessories and unless the military were to drop it, it will probably be around forever. Another company that has a ton of available accessories for their products is Magpul. From light mounts to handstops and VFGs that don’t require rail attachments, Magpul has you covered.

This is where the FFSSR from Parallax Tactical really shines. The FFSSR not only has the standard rail attachments on the end of the handguard, it also accepts any of the accessories, including more rail segments, from Magpul.
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_3308_zpsc608f4c6.jpg
I have been eyeballing the Free Float Super Slim Rail (FFSSR) from Parallax Tactical for quite some time but in all the keymod hype it had kind of slipped into the back of my mind so when I contacted Parallax Tactical to see if they were willing to send out any products for review I was kind of expecting to end up with their newest keymod system. When I heard back from them and they wanted to send their FFSSR I was certainly willing to take a look and was definitely ready for a change of pave from all of the KM madness I have been in lately.

The FFSSR was a breeze to mount with its round style barrel nut that uses a 1 1/8” wrench for torqueing. I have seen several barrel nuts that use this size so I went out and bought a set of open end wrenches that snap right into my torque wrench so that I can get the appropriate 30-80 Ft-LBS. There is no timing required for your gas tube like a standard barrel nut but it does have to be timed for the holes that you use to mount the handguard onto the proprietary barrel nut. My setup only required the use of a single shim to get the proper alignment and torque. Once it is timed and torqued properly the handguard attaches via 2 screws each at the 3, 6, and 9 O’clock positions which is nice to keep the longer 15” version good and stable instead have having a little bit of wobble out on the muzzle end like other models I have had hands on.

you can see the rest of the review and more photos at http://almosttactical.com/parallax-tactical-ffssr-handguard-review/

tact
23 February 2014, 23:56
That looks pretty good........ I like it.

GOST
25 February 2014, 05:25
Parallax seems to be offering up some nice stuff for a very good price.

DMViergever
25 February 2014, 05:47
It is a good, solid piece for sure. They have a KM version also that has KM slots at the 3,6,9 and also accepts Magpul items in the mount n slot areas. I may pick one up if people start putting out KM accessories here soon.

KevinBLC
26 February 2014, 00:26
DMV,

I enjoy your reviews, you must have a lot of free time and a big gun accessory budget!

DMViergever
27 February 2014, 08:45
Actually, I have a 40 hr job that leaves me very little free time and a 3 month old haha. She sits with me in my basement where I do the photography on my fridays off and then helps me with the write ups. I am a "blogger" and featured writer for Guns & Tactics as well so most of the time I get stuff on loan or demo status and have to send it back when finished. I make ZERO money off of.reviews and am occasionally allowed to keep items. I have my own range and do a lot of training so my reviews are usually based off of trigger time. That is why you see a lot of stuff that looks very similar as far as rifles go. I only have three lowers, one is SBR (tan) and the other is VERY basic and is what my wife uses to shoot.

I cover a lot of the cost and all the ammo though. I appreciate the kind words, hopefully one of these days I will be big time lime some of the other guys around here! Hehe.

KevinBLC
28 February 2014, 00:15
I don't always leave a comment on posts as I'm still learning, but please post all the reviews you do, guys like me that like to read appreciate it, even if you are just "almost" tactical!

Nicely done sir.

DMViergever
28 February 2014, 05:54
You are all good bud, I appreciate it! "Almost Tactical" became the name as sort of a joke. Everywhere you look is the term tactical and a lot of time it is the least tactical thing in the world. One day we were looking at some stuff on the web and it was tactical red lasers with tactical this and tactical that. So the joke was made that since we weren't into any of that that we weren't tactical at all, we were barely tactical. So when picking out a name we came up with "Almost Tactical". Like I said, this is really just an expensive hobby for me so having a little fun with the name seemed ok haha.

I appreciate the kind words brother!

mustangfreek
12 January 2015, 00:14
Bumping an old thread...heard parallax is up to a new rail or 2 and one similiar to this one..just a little different..[:D]

To keep it going, still enjoying the FFSSR fde rail i have..

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z176/mustang91_2007/06b3758b-1f56-4dc6-86fd-5a760baa082f_zps9751f436.jpg