PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint/LaRue mounting?

jvencius
19 August 2008, 17:31
Question #1: When mounting an Aimpoint (ML3 in a cantilever LaRue mount), do you set it up so that the windage/elevation knobs are pointing toward 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock?

Question #2: Is the lever on a LaRue QD mount supposed to be REALLY REALLY tight? I haven't been able to budge mine so before I try using a tool to pry it open (carefully) and break it, I thought I should see if that is a normal condition.

Question #3? Is the front lens cap on an Aimpoint supposed to spin around pretty freely or is there a way to set it so that it only opens in one direction?

parabellum
19 August 2008, 17:45
1) yes. 12 & 3

2) i like to adjust my LT levers so they start to engage the rail when the handle/latch part of the lever is at a 45 degree angle to the side of the rail. (does that make sense to you?). they are supposed to be quite tight, but you can have too much of a good thing as well.

3) mine doesn't really spin around, maybe its not on the body of the optic far enough?? also i don't bother with an ocular lens cover only the objective.

jvencius
19 August 2008, 17:53
1) yes. 12 & 3

OK--I wanted to make sure before I Loctite-down the mounting screws.

2) i like to adjust my LT levers so they start to engage the rail when the handle/latch part of the lever is at a 45 degree angle to the side of the rail. (does that make sense to you?). they are supposed to be quite tight, but you can have too much of a good thing as well.

I'll have to adjust mine then--I'm a fairly strong guy but I can't even budge the lever. It should rotate straight out, i.e. no "push up, then it'll turn" shenanigans, correct?

3) mine doesn't really spin around, maybe its not on the body of the optic far enough?? also i don't bother with an ocular lens cover only the objective.[/QUOTE]

I pushed mine on just a tick and now it doesn't spin, so now I know. I'll leave the ocular cover in place until I get used to it and figure out if I need it or not.

parabellum
19 August 2008, 18:00
if i understand what you're asking....during removal, yah it should rotate straight out...a bit resistance at first before it "breaks free".

it might take a little adjusting to get it perfect...the adjustment nut is pretty sensitive so just try a few turns until you get it so that the lever starts engaging your rail when the its at a 45 degree angle.

also, i like to put CLP on a q-tip and just brush it on the shiny engagement surface of the levers....just cos.

Dutch
19 August 2008, 18:29
jvencius,

Sounds as if parabellum was able to answer your questions for you. I have one for you though, area you mounting this on top of the receiver or on a rail? How far forward are you mounting it?

Dutch

jvencius
19 August 2008, 18:33
jvencius,

Sounds as if parabellum was able to answer your questions for you. I have one for you though, area you mounting this on top of the receiver or on a rail? How far forward are you mounting it?

Dutch

Yep--his info helped.

The ML3 will be on top of the receiver, not a rail. I got the cantilever mount in case I decide to get a magnifier at some later time. As for mounting position, I don't really know since I figure on trying it in different spots to see what position looks/feels most comfortable to use.

jvencius
19 August 2008, 18:49
I didn't realize that you have to pull the lever on a LaRue QD mount rearwards before it'll rotate...:o

Stickman
19 August 2008, 18:52
Duplicate thread, merged together. Evidently the title jumped to your second thread title.

ETA- title changed back

Stickman
19 August 2008, 19:07
Question #1: When mounting an Aimpoint (ML3 in a cantilever LaRue mount), do you set it up so that the windage/elevation knobs are pointing toward 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock?

Question #2: Is the lever on a LaRue QD mount supposed to be REALLY REALLY tight? I haven't been able to budge mine so before I try using a tool to pry it open (carefully) and break it, I thought I should see if that is a normal condition.

Question #3? Is the front lens cap on an Aimpoint supposed to spin around pretty freely or is there a way to set it so that it only opens in one direction?

1. Do everything you can to align them so they are correct, other guys have pointed out how.

2. If it is opening and locking that tight, remember you are camming hard and directly against your rail. Not a big deal if you don't remove it much, but think about how much tension you really want to grind against your upper. If you need a tool to remove it, its not really a QD mount anymore, so figure out what your needs are and go from there. If you were having a hard time figuring out the LT lock, its pretty straight forward once you use it. I still prefer the ADM and Bobro mounts for a variety of reasons.

3. The cap should rotate, but they are usually pretty tight.