PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries SSK Handguard Review

DMViergever
6 March 2014, 04:15
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_34912_zps195bc505.jpg
Midwest Industries has been around for quite a while and the reasons are obvious.* They make handguards and accessories for so many platforms it is insane.* Whether you are looking for a forend for your AK or a drop in handguard for you AR Midwest Industries can hook you up.* On top of simply having choices they also contain a certain level of quality that has come to be expected from them over the years combined with a good, affordable price that doesn't break the bank.

Their SS line of modular free floats was very popular several years ago and has since been followed up with the gen2 model which is a very slim slotted handguard that has modular rail segments that attach via screw holes.* This model has also served many people very well. The SSK is the newest model from Midwest Industries in their line of modular AR15 handguards and as you have probably guessed the K...stands for KeyMod.
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_3567_zps746282c5.jpg
Unlike a lot of companies I have seen though MI has actually changed the tube instead of just slapping in KM slots where the old slots were.* This was a refreshing detail since I have seen so many that had zero thought put into them and were nearly the same thing we had been seeing for the last several years. Like most the SSK uses a proprietary barrel nut, the one that MI uses on most of their AR15 line is essentially a mil-spec barrel nut accept that it is reversed.* Instead of teeth being at the muzzle end they are on the receiver side.* This is what*gives the SSK its*anti rotation qualities because of tabs that are built into the actual free float tube itself.* The tabs on the SSK slide into the teeth and as long as your barrel nut is tightened to spec (30-80 ft lbs) it has zero movement and lines up perfectly.* The kit comes with its own barrel nut wrench also.

Another difference between the Midwest Industries barrel nut and the mil-spec is that the MI is checkered and knurled.* The fit between the handguard and barrel nut is very good and even with the tension screws loosened you can swing the*SSK around pretty good without having the nut come out.* One thing I noticed when installing the barrel nut was that after putting it in my vise and block my torque wrench had a tendency to hit the vise when installed on MI's wrench.* Not a big deal at all as I just scooted the block out some.* It really just enforced the fact that I still need to buy a Reaction Rod!

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww27/DMViergever/IMG_3760_zpse89c453b.jpg

The full review and more photos please visit: http://almosttactical.com/midwest-industries-ssk/

Airman596
4 April 2014, 02:09
Cool looking rail. Almost makes me want to buy an AR-15. Almost [BD]

DMViergever
4 April 2014, 07:52
If you don't own an AR we will never be friends...

Airman596
4 April 2014, 09:06
I was issued an M16 and an M4 when I was in the service. Does that count?

FortTom
4 April 2014, 12:02
I just received a 15" MI SSK. Awaiting rest of parts for cerakote and camo dip. I'm hoping it lives up to it's reputation. I have a BCM KMR rail, and am very happy with the weight and reduced size.

FT

DMViergever
5 April 2014, 17:29
I was issued an M16 and an M4 when I was in the service. Does that count?

I suppose hehe. I am about to have a SCAR for a couple weeks...may end up with no ARs after that...never know haha!

FT I can't wait to see it!

Airman596
5 April 2014, 22:37
I suppose hehe. I am about to have a SCAR for a couple weeks...may end up with no ARs after that...never know haha!

Nothing wrong with the AR. It was the first rifle I ever shot and I will always remain fond of it. However, after carrying one around in Afghanistan on several deployments and owning a few semiautomatic variants, I've grown tired of it [BD] The SCAR is my current favorite. The Desert Tech MDR may unseat it in the near distance future.

DMViergever
6 April 2014, 09:34
Desert Tech seems legit. I am very excited to blast with the SCAR as well!

FortTom
6 April 2014, 20:11

Wow, I'd rather be playing with the SCAR!!...I'd love to get even a little time with one...

FT

Gaspipeshooter
3 July 2014, 07:23
It really just enforced the fact that I still need to buy a Reaction Rod!

I bought the Armorer's Kit from Geissele when they had a sale and it was money well spent. I got the Reaction Rod, the Trigger Fitting Pin, the Gas Block Roll Pin Tool, and the Gas Block Pin Punch Set for $110.00 shipped to my door and they included a t-shirt and hat.

It really makes torquing down barrel nut a breeze. the Trigger Fitting Pin is slick too. Get everything lined up with it then just push it through with the trigger pin. Pin punches are sweet too.

FortTom
3 July 2014, 10:24
I finally got my SSK and Voodoo Arms Ultra Lite barrel put together. I added back in a little weight with an Epsilon V6G hybrid muzzle brake/compensator/flash hider. On top I mounted Magpul MBUS sights and a friends Aimpoint T1. I'm going to send it home with a friend to weigh on his scales, but I can tell you it's crazy light. The OD, I believe is 1.25 across, and 1.5" height with the top rail.

I haven't gotten around to assembling the lower for it yet, I had too many irons in the fire, but I just stuck it on and existing lower. I thought balance was going to be crazy, but it balances about .250 rearward from the front of the mag well. I finally got to play with it a bit more than the day the upper was assembled. This is probably going to be it's selling point or a deal breaker for most people thinking of building a very light rifle.

The handling and pointing is extremely quick, compared to a govt. profile barrel and typical quad rail type "common" set-up. I had no problem keeping the dot on target, while shooting at paper, and randomly choosing various targets. This rifles primary function, like all of mine, are SD first, and fun second. I would not hesitate to pick this rifle up and head outside to defend myself, my home or property, as I instantly took a sincere liking to the fast and "whippy" handling of this rifle. It will be wearing a Noveske hand guard kit w/stop, as soon as I can get around to installing it. (Just snaps into place, but it's tight and can be a PITA to get snapped in). I'm probably looking at about 2 oz. or so extra weight. (I have one of these kits on my BCM KMR upper, and if you choose the Noveske kit, you have to buy 2 sets if you're going to do both sides and bottom. Crazy, but that's the way they package them, but they are cheap, at about $15.00 per set if I remember correctly).

I think the real issue here is whether people want an Ultra Light barrel and hand guard upper, and how each individual will like or dislike the handling characteristics. I do wish I had something like this back in the military, just to lighten the load from carrying all day. I personally love the handling aspect of this upper. I think that is highly subjective, and would go as far as suggesting that if one is considering such a project, that he/she try to seek out a friend or fellow shooter that has a similar set-up, weight wise, and put some rounds through it before spending the cash to build one and find out it's just not your cup of tea.

Shooting rapid fire 30 round strings was a mystery to me, as far as this light weight upper went and I didn't know what to expect, as far as muzzle flip, with this set-up. But the Epsilon Brake/Compensator came through in spades. It was extremely easy to hold on target, and was more akin to shooting a BB gun than a rifle. I was a little curious about how a "hybrid" compensator/brake would actually work, but it does exactly as advertised.

Again, this is all subjective, and I think given 10 people that there would be at least a 50/50 split in folks liking this type of setup and weight. But, I knew I liked my Bravo Company KMR with it's "light weight" upper, so I wanted to push the envelope a bit further, with an upper that weighs about 2.5 lbs. with a T1, MBUS and Muzzle Brake, a 16" barrel and 15" KeyMod hand guard.

As far as the Midwest KMR, it looks and feels about the same as the BCM KMR. I like the way it mounts into the "backwards" barrel nut, like teeth in a sprocket, and his held together on the bottom with 2 allen screws. Not the beefiest mounting system I've seen, but it appears to be as strong as anything else that I have. The only objective way I have to measure that is, if it fails, comes loose or some other issue pops up. So far, it seems as sturdy as a rock. I'll have to get a few hundred more "hard" rounds down the barrel and see. I had planned to have it cerakoted and camo dipped, but scrapped those plans, so as far as I'm concerned, it's one for the books, now. I think it'll be a go to rifle, a great deal of the time.

FT[:D]

DMViergever
9 July 2014, 20:57
Thanks FT! Good info for sure