PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR 762 ...

Flatlander
6 March 2014, 13:54
I have idly looking for an AR10 for quite some time, turned off somewhat by previous experience (i.e., "this is a heavy damn rifle!") with Armalites and DPMS's. Have been pretty hesitant to buy one of the Rugers out of fear of more of the same ... and then from reading bad press about reliability with the supplied magazines ... then I was broke ... then a little concerned that it was a piston ... and so on.

I was taken somewhat by surprise the other day to find one, locally, at a competitive price. It was up on the wall with everything else and I ignored it, thinking that I was looking for one of the new SR762's. While filling out the paperwork for a S&W M&P Pro 9mm, I mentioned that to the owner, and was promptly hauled back to the wall, to find that the Ruger SR 556 was in fact an SR762, thus proving all reports that Ruger has scaled down the platform, at least enough to fool me.

It is a bit more compact, and it is a whole lot lighter.

So, I have now run a few different varieties of 150's through it and all of its supplied magazines, with 100% reliability and shooting into 3" at 200 yards. Considering I was using a fairly improvised rest and more importantly, the annoyingly awful factory trigger ... I am pretty jazzed by it.

My list of negatives regarding the rifle is short:
1) the trigger. I am not insistent on a light trigger, just one that is not ... atrocious. However, this is a pretty minor point for me. It will be getting a new one as soon as I recover from the purchase.

2) the lack of forward sling attachment points. I mounted a Magpul hook up front on top of the rail, but it sure would have been simple (?) to machine in a QD point.

I am adding a Bravo Battle comp up front and a Gunfighter charging handle to the rear. Replaced the factory stock and pistol grip with a CTR and a BCM, and I am done!

That's it. It was mentioned here that the scaling down of AR10's in weight and size is a factor to consider in whether to explore the "beyond the 5.56" calibers in the AR15 ... at least in terms of "need" ... and I think that is sound advice. I am fixing to start working with 150's in the 300AAC, and may tinker with the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel one day soon ... all for the sake of variety ... but unless this Ruger disappoints the next couple times we go out, it has earned an immediate spot in the spring hunting lineup.

usbp379
2 May 2014, 20:31
I have one of the early guns that came with what people are calling Gen2 mags. I've shot it quite a bit and have found it to be reliable with pretty much everything unless I use the latest "Gen3" mags in it. With the Gen3's it fails to feed with bolt over base malfunctions on a regular basis.

Ruger was quick to identify the tolerances that were keeping the rifles from working with the new generation magazines and the latest guns off the production floor are reported to work fine regardless of magazine used.

I have found my gun to be a pretty steady 1.5 moa rifle with decent ammo. With a better trigger and some judicious handloading I'm confident I could get the rifle closer to that magical 1 moa mark.

Ruger's done a nice job with these guns and I'm surprised/pleased to see a piston 308 that isn't priced much higher than its 223 counterpart. The only piston AR10 that I'm aware of that's even close to the Ruger is the SIG 716. Everything else is $2,000+

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk