PDA

View Full Version : Eotech vs Aimpoint?

CAPT KIRK
20 August 2008, 17:42
First, I like both the Eotech and the Aimpoint and would buy either depending on the theater of action I anticipated taking the sight into.

For my current situation (Law Enforcement) I decided to plunk down the bucks for a Eotech 516 which is not NV compatible but still uses the DL123 batteries. I love this sight, but now that (after the fact) I finnally got the $ to get one, certain influential people in my life (Aimpoint fans) have started pipeing up with negative coments on the Eotech. While I realize their are certain limitations which would cause me to choose differently for a sight goining into a lengthy feild combat enviroment, for my purpose the Eotech is awsome.

Only one potential comment that concerns me "The Eotech will drain batteries just sitting in the off position", however common sense tells me this is not possible, and if it had been at some point in time, surelly it has been rectified since.

Any thoughts from those here?

Paulo_Santos
20 August 2008, 18:04
JMHO:

I honestly like both sights alot. I like the battery life and ruggedness of the Aimpoints and the reticle and HUD style of the EOTechs. The constant EOTech bashing on the other sites is downright rediculous and it seems like the same 4 guys regurgitating the same stuff. Yes, the EOTechs have had some issues, but so did the Aimpoints when they first came out, which some people conveniently forget.

My Department and SWAT Team all have EOTechs and they work great and have had no issues. For LE, EOTechs are great sights because they are very fast for CQB work. For Military purposes, I like the Aimpoints due to the battery life, especailly if I was out in Iraq or Afghan.

The EOTechs require more maintenance such as periodically cleaning the battery contacts and replacing the batteries on a regular basis. When working properly, EOTechs are hard to beat. With either one, irons are a must.

TigerStripe
20 August 2008, 20:09
I've never used an Aimpoint. In fact, I don't think I've ever even looked through one. The big advantage of the Aimpoint is battery life. I've had one problem with one of my 552's and it was dealt with very well by EOTech. I'm tempted to get an M4 because of the AA battery and extreme battery life. I'm also tempted to get a 553 to be able to have all the same type batteries for my lights and sights...

TS

Stickman
20 August 2008, 20:25

There are people who make comments based on personal info, and there are those that are getting something out of it. The weapon community is getting inundated with people who are in the second group.

I've had problems with an Eotech in a real world event, and I've seen large cardboard boxes of Aimpoints that weren't usable from MIL guys.

Everything can break, its a matter of what it takes to kill it. There are a lot of Eotechs and Aimpoints out in LE and serving in combat very effectively.

I've got an Aimpoint T-1, M4, and M2, as well as a couple Eotech 552s. I carry a 552 on my duty weapon, and I'm not real worried about the comments of some of the other guys. I don't' doubt the Aimpoint may hold up a little better, but both are well built optics.

CAPT KIRK
20 August 2008, 20:33
JMHO:

I honestly like both sights alot. I like the battery life and ruggedness of the Aimpoints and the reticle and HUD style of the EOTechs. The constant EOTech bashing on the other sites is downright rediculous and it seems like the same 4 guys regurgitating the same stuff. Yes, the EOTechs have had some issues, but so did the Aimpoints when they first came out, which some people conveniently forget.

My Department and SWAT Team all have EOTechs and they work great and have had no issues. For LE, EOTechs are great sights because they are very fast for CQB work. For Military purposes, I like the Aimpoints due to the battery life, especailly if I was out in Iraq or Afghan.

The EOTechs require more maintenance such as periodically cleaning the battery contacts and replacing the batteries on a regular basis. When working properly, EOTechs are hard to beat. With either one, irons are a must.

You and I are thinking on exactly the same terms.... Thanx.

I am expecting great things from my Eotech, and appreciate all of your inputs.

Side Note: Stickman, my hat is off to you for this web site....

Eric
20 August 2008, 21:56
Each one has strengths and weaknesses. Aimpoint blows EOTech away in battery life. The EOTech reticule with the 65 MOA outer circle and the 1 MOA inner dot is great for CQB, yet gives a smaller aiming point for distance. The Aimpoint will require a separate mount and the EOTech has a mount built in. For overall ruggedness, I would give the Aimpoint a slight edge over the EOTech.

I have a few of each. I have a EOTech 512 on my patrol carbine now, but I'm looking at adding a new Aimpoint to my in-progress lightweight build. I've managed to break something from each manufacturer and they have each taken care of me well. It really comes down to a matter of personal preferance and understanding what each does.

Cold Zero
21 August 2008, 18:40
There are people who make comments based on personal info, and there are those that are getting something out of it. The weapon community is getting inundated with people who are in the second group.

Stickman said a mouthful. Guys have no idea how much of that is actually going on. Spot on.

The second group is sometimes referred to as "Whorriors".

Paulo_Santos
21 August 2008, 19:52
Stickman said a mouthful. Guys have no idea how much of that is actually going on. Spot on.

The second group is sometimes referred to as "Whorriors".

Where I'm from, we call them "sell-outs". I've also heard "people in the know". LOL.

The whole thing is sad.

TigerStripe
21 August 2008, 22:49
There are plenty of whorriors out there. I do my very best to follow my mentor and stick to only what I know and nothing else. Groupthink is a problem as well.

TS

RogerTPA
31 August 2008, 17:24
I know the Aimpoint beats the EOTech as far as battery life, but I have a EOTech 553 on my Colt and prefer the faster acquisition with the retical on it. YMMV.

TigerStripe
1 September 2008, 01:15
It (Aimpoint) definitely wins the battery life contest. The EOTech is faster and allows for more precision. It still comes down to personal preference for the most part.

TS

parabellum
1 September 2008, 03:00
i have a 552, Micro H1 and ML3

each has its positives...and perhaps drawbacks, but all three are good optics.

552 is a hair faster than anything else for me, ML3 works best with a magnifier and the H-1 is the lightest, smallest...and is my personal favorite.

like Stick i've had my EO fail on me in once. for me it was just at the range, but I had a fixed BUIS ready to go, so i didn't miss a beat.

then again, i've also had an issued CCO M68 (M2) go out on me - its battery died during a training exercise...but i was still able to use it as a large ghost ring and somehow bagged an OPFOR member with my un-zeroed MILES2000 emitter - purely through pray & spray technique and a bit of luck[:D]

this "debate" seems to be endless on almost all the firearms boards and as always, it all comes down to personal preference, budget and needs. i still feel that both EO and Aimpoint models have their place, but as just about anything else of this nature, the fanboys line up on each side - especially on forums.

tac40
27 October 2008, 08:30
I have been using both EO-Tech & Aimpoint, both are great red dot sights.
Our depart's EO-Tech 512 had problems with batteries leaking and damaging the sights. I never had problems with my Aimpoint-M4 or M2.

Our depart's cars however had problems installing the lock mounts for AR rifles with EO-Tech. The Aimpoints had no issues. Having deployed both, I appreciate their quick sighting and durability in everyday use out of a squad car.

My personal thoughts, I tend to pick up the EO-Tech sight quicker-circle/dot but my eye's tend to focus easier with Aimpoint single red dot. Maybe it's a age thing with my eye sight? We had top operators teach our depart and we see both sights, everyone has an opinion. In the end they work and gives us a tactcial advantage-isn't that what we all want? Be safe.

Dutch
27 October 2008, 11:03
I have both style of optics, I find I move faster with the Aimpoint than the EoTech. This can be easily explained, I am a .mil instructor/armorer I see and use many sights, by far the higher percentage being Aimpoint's. So I teach with them, train with them, and shoot qual with them. I have both on personal weapons though gravitate toward my Aimpoint weapon more as it is set up like my duty weapon. Neither one is soldier proof, or soldier enviroment proof, they will break given the time.

I will say I like the idea of only needing 1 AA battery to run an optic.

Dutch

TehLlama
27 October 2008, 15:08
The 553/516 line from L3 still has an edge - until Aimpoint can finally build a CompM4D (CR123A battery, decade or so of battery life).

I have both, even a Bushnell. My wife shoots better with an aimpoint, I shoot as well with either but a lot faster with an EOTech.

The only case where I'd say the aimpoint is far and away better would be for crossdominant shooters - a single dot in the nondominant eye is a lot easier to keep track of than the more elaborate HWS Reticle.

SHIHAN
29 October 2008, 17:38
The 553/516 line from L3 still has an edge - until Aimpoint can finally build a CompM4D (CR123A battery, decade or so of battery life).

I have both, even a Bushnell. My wife shoots better with an aimpoint, I shoot as well with either but a lot faster with an EOTech.

The only case where I'd say the aimpoint is far and away better would be for crossdominant shooters - a single dot in the nondominant eye is a lot easier to keep track of than the more elaborate HWS Reticle.

Did Eotech get the problems fixed that had the units recalled from SOCOM?

CAPT KIRK
29 October 2008, 18:45
Just an update...

My 516 has performed flawlessly (knock on wood). I have also found something cool about it that you cant do with an Aimpoint.

Within 0-15 yards we start to see a low impact because of the bore to site hight difference, however with my EoTech I can use the 6 oclock tick mark on the outer ring for point of aim/impact at close range.

I would absolutely go with the Aimpoint if I was bound for combat in the sand box where a little bit more durability and battery life were crucial, but for urban L/E work this EoTech rocks.

restfortheweary
1 December 2008, 06:11
Capt,
I'm brand new to this forum, so please forgive the advice right of the bat. I have a 512 and several Aimpoints. I have carried the eotech on my patrol rifle for 2 years and love it; however, I just completed a tactical rifle course dealing mostly with shooting from cover and positions of disadvantage. I don't know if this is universal, but for me there were several positions in which I could not get a sight picture with my Eotect. That's right could not even locate the reticle. I switched to my H-1 and was able to complete the drills. Because of that experience, I just switched to an aimpoint ML3 in a Bobro. My only advice on the eotech would be clear your weapon and lay down and curl up in every unconventional shooting position and insure you will have a sight picture. Otherwise I love the Eotech. [noob]

Eric
2 December 2008, 07:09
Capt,
I'm brand new to this forum, so please forgive the advice right of the bat. I have a 512 and several Aimpoints. I have carried the eotech on my patrol rifle for 2 years and love it; however, I just completed a tactical rifle course dealing mostly with shooting from cover and positions of disadvantage. I don't know if this is universal, but for me there were several positions in which I could not get a sight picture with my Eotect. That's right could not even locate the reticle. I switched to my H-1 and was able to complete the drills. Because of that experience, I just switched to an aimpoint ML3 in a Bobro. My only advice on the eotech would be clear your weapon and lay down and curl up in every unconventional shooting position and insure you will have a sight picture. Otherwise I love the Eotech. [noob] Interesting observation. While I haven't experienced that issue, it just goes to show that you really need to run your optic under various conditions to see how it will work for what you do. Thanks for posting this and welcome!

Mr.Goodtimes
13 June 2009, 08:08
i love my eotech. it was a birthday present from my dad to me for my big 2-0 back in december. i had a choice between the eotech 512 and an aimpoint ML2. i chose the eotech based on the reticle and the HUD type window.

I also like how the eotech runs off of AA batteries, so, if need be, batteries are extremely easy to find for the site.

I think that the aimpoints are great weapon sites, and, if going to the sandbox or for that matter, any theater of conflict, i would feel very comfortable with either optic.

I really like the large unobstructed FOV of the eotech and the reticle, and being a REV F, im not to concerned with durability problems. Its sitting on an American Defense riser mount. I cant wait to get the gun/optic combo to a Magpul class and run it through it paces.

CAPT KIRK
4 July 2009, 06:21
Capt,
I'm brand new to this forum, so please forgive the advice right of the bat. I have a 512 and several Aimpoints. I have carried the eotech on my patrol rifle for 2 years and love it; however, I just completed a tactical rifle course dealing mostly with shooting from cover and positions of disadvantage. I don't know if this is universal, but for me there were several positions in which I could not get a sight picture with my Eotect. That's right could not even locate the reticle. I switched to my H-1 and was able to complete the drills. Because of that experience, I just switched to an aimpoint ML3 in a Bobro. My only advice on the eotech would be clear your weapon and lay down and curl up in every unconventional shooting position and insure you will have a sight picture. Otherwise I love the Eotech. [noob]

Havent had any such problems myself. Of course the 516 sits up a little higher and that may contribute to my lack of issues in that area. I have shot from many different "modified" shooting positions without issue. Just completed a Spartan Tactical class and some of the guys with Aimpoints were struggling with the "roll over" position.

GUY IN BLUE SHIRT IN THE "ROLL OVER" POSITION (He is shooting the Leupold CQT).
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/Jim3.jpg

Stickman
4 July 2009, 09:16
Whats your south end pointing north for? Please tell me this was something other than your usual barricade positional shooting.... [BD]

m24shooter
4 July 2009, 12:41
Just an update...

My 516 has performed flawlessly (knock on wood). I have also found something cool about it that you cant do with an Aimpoint.

Within 0-15 yards we start to see a low impact because of the bore to site hight difference, however with my EoTech I can use the 6 oclock tick mark on the outer ring for point of aim/impact at close range.

I would absolutely go with the Aimpoint if I was bound for combat in the sand box where a little bit more durability and battery life were crucial, but for urban L/E work this EoTech rocks.

I'll have to see if that works with my 512. I've got a 3x FTS behind it and I'm thinking about putting it on the ADM riser so it should closely parallel yours.

I used Aimpoints for years, but got a 512 a few months ago. I love that thing, and the 3x is a nice little accessory to have if needed. And the HWS is slick.

CAPT KIRK
4 July 2009, 13:08
Whats your south end pointing north for? Please tell me this was something other than your usual barricade positional shooting.... [BD]

The position is used for say shooting under a vehicle and when you want to keep as much of your behonckus tucked in behind the wheel/engine block. I originally learned the "modified prone", but if your cover at ground level is just the wheels then you have some body/legs exposed if your threat looks under the car where the gunfire is comming from.

Me (far barricade in TAN) in the "MODIFIED PRONE"

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/P6160054.jpg

Classmate (near barricade in BLUE) in the "ROLL OVER"

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/Improvised.jpg

I figure if an experienced Delta Force operator thinks the "Roll Over" is good, then I'll go with that..... and have actually found I like it better that "Modified Prone" in some ways. Its a lot faster to get back up and moving from the "Roll Over" too.

Best Class I have attended yet....
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33049

Stickman, do you want me to copy this AAR over here.. or just leave the link?

Stickman
4 July 2009, 16:41
Hopefully you know I'm just giving you a hard time. The internet sucks the sarcasm out of things at time.... [BD]

Paulo_Santos
5 July 2009, 01:07
I never liked the idea of laying down on the ground to shoot underneath things such as cars because if the Bad Guy comes around you are screwed. I prefer the basic firing positions.

CAPT KIRK
5 July 2009, 09:44
I never liked the idea of laying down on the ground to shoot underneath things such as cars because if the Bad Guy comes around you are screwed. I prefer the basic firing positions.

The principal of shooting underneath a vehicle is this........ The bad guy is looking for you, because he can not see you down behind cover while he is standing. Now you can only see his legs (which likely are not wearing body armor) and you take them out. You have now just dropped his body to the ground, exposing so many more vital areas to your fire and he is still trying through the fog of his agony to figure out where it came from. The game is now yours.

Paulo_Santos
5 July 2009, 09:58
The principal of shooting underneath a vehicle is this........ The bad guy is looking for you, because he can not see you down behind cover while he is standing. Now you can only see his legs (which likely are not wearing body armor) and you take them out. You have now just dropped his body to the ground, exposing so many more vital areas to your fire and he is still trying through the fog of his agony to figure out where it came from. The game is now yours.

I understand it and we train for it. I just don't like it.

Have one of your co-workers be a bad guy and have a simulated fight and see what can happen when you actually have a bad guy in there. We did it a couple of times and I was behind a truck. When I went down to look under the truck to shoot the BG, my co-worker, the bad guy, was waiting for me and had a nice face shot on me. Another time one of my other co-workers was behind a car and as he went down to look for the guy, the BG, came around from behind him and unloaded on him. Too much risk for me. I don't like it at all. I rather do something else.

juan
12 July 2009, 08:27
question, what would you guys recommend, the 516 or the 517? any advise would be good since i dont have any experience with eotechs at all. i have been using my ML2 for the last three years and would just want to try another system... thanks

Eric
12 July 2009, 21:11
516 info. (http://eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=21&cat=2)
517 info. (http://eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=27&cat=2)
Both have a 1,000 hr rating (with lithium batteries) and a 7mm raised base, which places the iron sights in the lower third of the optic. The 517 is .6" longer, if rail space is an issue that might be a consideration. Price is about the same. I guess it comes down to your preference in battery, AA in the 517, or CR123 in the 516. AA batteries are everywhere and CR123's are common, but less likely to be found at the corner store.

juan
12 July 2009, 22:55
thanks eric. appreciate the help

cmoore
13 July 2009, 23:27
First, I like both the Eotech and the Aimpoint and would buy either depending on the theater of action I anticipated taking the sight into.

For my current situation (Law Enforcement) I decided to plunk down the bucks for a Eotech 516 which is not NV compatible but still uses the DL123 batteries. I love this sight, but now that (after the fact) I finnally got the $ to get one, certain influential people in my life (Aimpoint fans) have started pipeing up with negative coments on the Eotech. While I realize their are certain limitations which would cause me to choose differently for a sight goining into a lengthy feild combat enviroment, for my purpose the Eotech is awsome.

Only one potential comment that concerns me "The Eotech will drain batteries just sitting in the off position", however common sense tells me this is not possible, and if it had been at some point in time, surelly it has been rectified since.

Hey CAPT KIRK...

I've got an EoTech 553 (CR-123), NV compatible....I usually mount it in the car pre-shift, turn it on for usually the 4-hour or sometimes 8-hour duration....I got a shade over 3 years life out those batteries.....

Best regards....

Belloc
13 October 2009, 13:48
Anyone know why the 553s are rated to 1100 hours, but the 552s, with the longer AA lithiums are rated only to 1000?