PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion please

Jethro
23 August 2008, 12:27
Any thoughts or opinions, good, bad, or ugly, on the Model "1" brand of uppers? Their prices seem pretty darned reasonable which is making me question the quality. Thanks.

Stickman
23 August 2008, 13:11
I've heard good, as well as bad, but have no personal experience with them.

SHIHAN
23 August 2008, 17:07
They are priced low as the quality follows. I see them all of the time at the shows and look at their stuff and its JUNK.

Dutch
23 August 2008, 17:21
I can't speak from experience or first hand knowledge, but I have not really heard any real talk on thier products good or bad. That in it's self says a lot to me.

Dutch

TigerStripe
23 August 2008, 17:42
It all depends on the purpose of the gun. At the site where I'm the AR mod a guy, police officer, asked about what gun to get. He said he had $1400 to $1600 to spend on a duty carbine. I gave him some choices, my opinions. He goes to M&A Parts and "builds" an upper there. I told him I wouldn't trust my life to one of those guns. He asks why and I tell him the parts kit guns aren't the best quality. He says that they are using all LMT parts. I went and looked and there was some mention of LMT, but not the all LMT statement. I told him again not to buy it. He ignored what I told him. He gets it in and it's "jamming". He posts a pic of the upper and barrel extension. His upper is M4 cut but they installed a barrel with a rifle extension. I told him it wasn't LMT and to send it back and demand his money. Haven't heard from him since....

TS

jeffy
23 August 2008, 19:10
From my research, I'd to stay away from Model 1 sales. Too many negative threads from people who's bought kits from them.

Jethro
24 August 2008, 07:32
From my research, I'd to stay away from Model 1 sales. Too many negative threads from people who's bought kits from them.
Agreed...The more I look into them, the more I'm convinced to stay away. I've owned my Oly for a couple years now, and want to build one for me and give the Oly to my wife. Although I've heard a lot of bad things about Oly Arms, I've never [and I really mean NEVER] had a problem with mine. I don't want to spend much more than a grand to build a new one so I need to make the right decisions without any let-downs 10-4?

docsherm
24 August 2008, 08:35
If you just want a plinker they are fine. Stay away from them if you want a serious rifle.

Jethro
24 August 2008, 08:52
I'm not sure how Panther stacks up in all of this, but I do know that 3 of my friends have Bushmasters and it seems that when we go to the range they are screwing with their rifles trying to get them unjammed while I'm just plinking away. I could understand if it was just one of them, but it happens EVERY time. Right now, Panther and Rock River are on my list to check out.

TigerStripe
24 August 2008, 10:45
Check out Charles Daly. Stickman has a review or two on them here. Here's one of his Link (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408).
Here's mine at AR15Armory: D-M4 review (http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Charles-Daly-Defense-M4-t33944.html)

TS

Army Chief
24 August 2008, 11:08
I would be very, very hesitant to buy any AR component, receiver, or accessory based solely upon price, and Model 1's chief claim to fame in the marketplace seems to be that they offer truly excellent prices.

Whether or not Model 1 offers real value likely depends upon your intended use(s) for the rifle/carbine you source from them. It isn't my purpose to criticize anyone's choices, but for me, when there is doubt, there is no doubt. I would much prefer to spend a bit more up front and put such concerns to rest from the very beginning.

Chief

Jethro
24 August 2008, 14:26
I did check out the Chales Daly site and was pretty pleased with the price of the D-M4 Carbine. I noticed the "LE" version was slightly more. Is this for "Law Enforcement" only? Or does it stand for something else? Is the barrel composition any different than the D-M4? The carry handle is not really an issue for me. I can take it or leave it.

TigerStripe
24 August 2008, 17:45
I did check out the Chales Daly site and was pretty pleased with the price of the D-M4 Carbine. I noticed the "LE" version was slightly more. Is this for "Law Enforcement" only? Or does it stand for something else? Is the barrel composition any different than the D-M4? The carry handle is not really an issue for me. I can take it or leave it.

I think LE originally stood for Law Enforcment, but there are many other "L--" models coming out or going into production. The LE model isn't a Law Enforcement Only carbine. The differences between the two are:

1)D-M4 barrel is made of 4140 steel while the LE uses mil-spec 4150 steel.

2)The barrel twist rate is 1:9 on the DM-4 while the LE has a 1:7 twist.

That means you can shoot the bigger grain bullets with the LE and that you can (theoretically) shoot the barrel for a longer period of time and get it hotter. I think you can see in my review that you probably won't ever shoot a standard D-M4 enough to see.

TS

Charles Daly
29 August 2008, 10:07
One other difference between the two, the D-M4LE uses the mil-spec receiver extension and "H" buffer while the D-M4 uses the commercial spec receiver extension and a standard buffer.

TigerStripe
29 August 2008, 10:58
I liked the one I T&E'd enough to buy it.

One other difference between the two, the D-M4LE uses the mil-spec receiver extension and "H" buffer while the D-M4 uses the commercial spec receiver extension and a standard buffer.

Thanks, Mr. K. I forgot those.

TS