PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Installation Question

FortTom
23 March 2014, 18:13
I learned how to install a barrel in an AR in the service, by watching and volunteering to help an armorer (not my field). I've seen quite a few installed and have done a few myself.

My question is this: Today, I was "dressed down" by a self-proclaimed armorer for not using grease on the barrel nut threads on the receiver, and around the barrel itself before inserting into the upper. Supposedly, I'm supposed to be using some kind of anti-seizing "bearing grease". Alleged armorer, and his helper "monkey" (wagging his head in agreement) says this is mandatory.

I've never seen anyone do anything except to clean threads, and "pre-stress" them by tightening the nut up to about 30 ft. lbs. and backing back down. Some don't do that step either, and some do.

I just wondered what experiences some of you have had with this. Have I been wrong all this time? (Hey, I'm not afraid to admit it, if so), or is "armorer" and assistant monkey correct, and this should always be done?

Thanks in advance,

FT

UWone77
23 March 2014, 18:23
You should grease the threads and barrel nut, helps protect the threads.

FortTom
23 March 2014, 18:34
You should grease the threads and barrel nut, helps protect the threads.

O.K. that's a vote for....what kind of grease do you use, UW? I would think that the wrong product might heat up and seep out a bit. An "anti-seize" product, might, and correct me if I'm wrong, please, allow the barrel nut to eventually vibrate loose?

Thanks, UW - FT.

Judicator
23 March 2014, 18:49
Well I'm in that boat to... Built 4 ARs and never heard or been told to grease the threads. Makes sense that it protects them while torquing down the nut tho.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

UWone77
23 March 2014, 18:56
Copper based anti-seize is always a winner.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-38650-Copper-Anti-Seize-Lubricant/dp/B0006Q7H36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395626399&sr=8-1&keywords=copper+anti+seize

Another product I've used:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/action-lube-plus-reg--prod1147.aspx

FortTom
23 March 2014, 19:04
Copper based anti-seize is always a winner.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-38650-Copper-Anti-Seize-Lubricant/dp/B0006Q7H36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395626399&sr=8-1&keywords=copper+anti+seize

Another product I've used:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/action-lube-plus-reg--prod1147.aspx

Don't get me wrong UW, I don't mean to ask a question, then argue the answer, but is it wise to use a metal (copper in this case) based lubricant on aluminum threads? Maybe a Moly based grease?....hell, I don't know, I'll take your word for it..[:D]

FT

UWone77
23 March 2014, 19:16
Don't get me wrong UW, I don't mean to ask a question, then argue the answer, but is it wise to use a metal (copper in this case) based lubricant on aluminum threads? Maybe a Moly based grease?....hell, I don't know, I'll take your word for it..[:D]

FT

Well, if copper anti-seize is good enough for Glocks..... and the label says it prevents Galling, Seizing, and Corrosion.... labels are always right! :)

Actually, I'm no expert, and could not tell you the actual reason behind it. However that's what I'd been told by master armorers in the past, and it's worked well for me. I've probably put together over 70+ Uppers.

I know people have used Moly Grease before but I've read some debate over not using moly-grease. In the end, I think guys over think the grease.

DMViergever
23 March 2014, 20:10
I have built a ton of uppers, swapped handguards etc and never used grease until rrecently. The grease makes removing and installation a but easier. I just use a synthetic moly grease, not a tton or it is a mess. I take it to 30 and back off, 30 and back off then my finishing 30 and line it up. Biggest thing is not to over think it as was said above. A good moly bearing grease is good but graphite is what is bad.

Sodbuster
23 March 2014, 20:25
Graphite is be catholic on bare aluminum but the hard anodizing protects it . I wouldn't us any thing with it on threads in case you damage the anodizing torquing the nut.

mustangfreek
24 March 2014, 00:14
Aeroshell #33MS

GOST
24 March 2014, 01:24
Umbrella Corporation sells the Aeroshell that meets the mil-spec standard.

rob_s
24 March 2014, 04:50
I love that because you've never heard of it all the people telling you how to do it right are "monkeys"and "self-proclaimed". Yes you should be using grease. If whoever you watched in the Army wasn't using grease THEY were doing it wrong (which should come as no surprise). Kind of makes you wonder what else people learn in institutional environments that isn't correct either... or it should.

Yes, you do not want copper or graphite in the grease. Ironically, Bushmaster of all people used to sell the right stuff and I've had the same small bottle from them for years. A little dab'll do ya.

Anyone that's ever had a barrel nut that was ungodly stuck (and WASN"T loctited on, yes, someone used LOCTITE on a barrel nut, and no it wasn't one of the aftermarket ones that calls for it) you can thank the "monkey" that assembled it with no grease. [bash]

DMViergever
24 March 2014, 06:29
I love that because you've never heard of it all the people telling you how to do it right are "monkeys"and "self-proclaimed". Yes you should be using grease. If whoever you watched in the Army wasn't using grease THEY were doing it wrong (which should come as no surprise). Kind of makes you wonder what else people learn in institutional environments that isn't correct either... or it should.

Yes, you do not want copper or graphite in the grease. Ironically, Bushmaster of all people used to sell the right stuff and I've had the same small bottle from them for years. A little dab'll do ya.

Anyone that's ever had a barrel nut that was ungodly stuck (and WASN"T loctited on, yes, someone used LOCTITE on a barrel nut, and no it wasn't one of the aftermarket ones that calls for it) you can thank the "monkey" that assembled it with no grease. [bash]

The bold part would be exactly why I started using it. Nothing like trying to remove a barrel nut that has bebeen on for 3 or 4 years and had ZERO grease used...

AaronP220
24 March 2014, 08:07

FT

You're talking about galvanic corrosion.

FortTom
24 March 2014, 09:58
I love that because you've never heard of it all the people telling you how to do it right are "monkeys"and "self-proclaimed". Yes you should be using grease. If whoever you watched in the Army wasn't using grease THEY were doing it wrong (which should come as no surprise). Kind of makes you wonder what else people learn in institutional environments that isn't correct either... or it should. can thank the "monkey" that assembled it with no grease. [bash]

"All the people who tell me how to do it right?" You mean both of them, or do you just not read to well?

I love the fact that you don't know the situation, the two people I'm referring too, their qualifications, or anything else, other than they got it right this time. Wrong branch of service, but then again, reading through your threads, mostly vitriol, with a lot of loathing vendor's or anything for AR's that Stoner himself didn't personally touch, the fact that every match you ever shot in, you're in the top 1% in the world, that NO government training class, including Delta, S.E.A.L.'s, CIA, etc. etc. can possibly come close to what you've learned from your recommended trainers, how could you, in your own mind, be wrong.

Then, there's every parts vendor in the world, bringing you semi-truck loads of free gear, but you won't touch it, because 99.9% (your figure, I believe) is B.S. and junk, and 99% of said vendors (again, your numbers) are full of B.S.

You probably shoot so well, according to your own assessment, that no operator in the world could beat you in a match, and you could do it with a sling shot and a couple of empty shell cases.[adore]

When I see a person who proclaims to be an armorer, installing a barrel, in a vise, protecting the upper with nothing more than a couple of shop towels, and clamping on a flash suppressor with a pair of vise grips, yes I have to assume that he seriously needs either a "refresher" course, or that the (if any) agency pronounced him a master gunsmith and an AR "armorer" should give him his money back. Said "monkey", if he could have got the beer can out of his face long enough, would have agreed, if the "armorer" told me that fecal matter was the preferred lubricant for barrels.

So, please, and I mean this sincerely, take your self loathing and condescending hatred and disdain of anything not in your realm, and spew it on someone else's thread/questions. You add nothing, but bitter vitriol, at least that I can see. Sorry about what ever in life made you the bitter arse you are, and I apologize to the rest of the forum members (should I get kicked off this forum for replying to your post in a way you sorely deserve) for this post. WEVO certainly deserves and demands better.

FT[:D]

GOST
24 March 2014, 10:56
There are probably a lot of rifles assembled without the grease, mil-spec MIL-G-21164D calls for it though. The beauty of the grease sold at Umbrella Corporation is that it's in a small container and only $3. I don't have an operator of tactical bone in my body, so if it wasn't for the fact I get bored at work and read a lot I probably wouldn't have known either. I hunt some and do some target shooting, but when I'm target shooting at home in the pasture I usually end up shooting cow manure. There's nothing like exploding poo. Here's the link to the Aeroshell:

https://www.ucwrg.com/materiel/miscellaneous-components/18/aeroshell-33ms-grease/

UWone77
24 March 2014, 12:01
I think the question has been asked and answered, along with some excellent advise and some extracurricular comments.

Let's all hug it out later. [:D]