PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a general purpose mid length upper optics and rail?

johnson
25 August 2008, 20:05
I have my lower put together and have about $800 so far for an upper. This will be my first rifle and will mainly shoot less than 100 yards (that's the max distance of the range I go to). The plan right now is Noveske 16" mid length barrel with FSB, Troy BUIS rear, Aimpoint Comp C3 and Daniel Defense 9" rail. Not sure what model rail yet. Decided on a C3 over the M4s because I don't need NV capability or water resistance to 45M. Lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness? Any thoughts?

TigerStripe
25 August 2008, 20:17
Nothing wrong with that setup other than the need for more money. ;) I have different personal preferences but I wouldn't tell you to change anything so far.

TS

johnson
25 August 2008, 20:33
What are your preferences?

I figure I need another $150-$200 for everything excluding the optic.

Dutch
25 August 2008, 20:37
johnson,

What is your skill background as far as AR15 rifles go? Is this going to be a rifle setup for benchrest shooting? Will it be carbine deisgned around the CQB thought? what type of lower are you running with? Does the company that made your lower offer uppers?

AR15's are like candy, they come in lots of flavors and price ranges. Any rifle/carbine platform can have upgrade mods anytine you want.

I personally feel the pocketbook should guide your build/design schedule, not everyone has the abiltiy to buy dreams at the drop of a hat.

Answer some the questions above and you will be able to given educated options and opinions

Dutch

P.S. Welcome to the board and welcome to the illness

Custom-X_Sponjah
25 August 2008, 20:44
I plan on slapping together a Middy as my New go to/3 gun..

CMMG 16" Mid Lenght upper
CMMG lower
DD LITE Rail - 10.0
Magpul CTR
(Unknown Brand Variable Power Optic) 1-4x
Arms 40-L BUIS
I just love the Hogue AR Grip so thats a must.
And am stuck between a Chip McCormick Trigger pack And a Timney Trigger pack.
PWS FSC 556
Any other accessories will be added on as needed..

Just a sweet and to the point lead tosser...

CXS

Eric
25 August 2008, 21:03
It sounds like a solid setup to me. The C3 is a reasonable choice if you don't need NV and it saves a few bucks. The lower third vs absolute co-witness debate resembles that of a Ford vs Chevy debate. It comes down to what works for you. I have weapons configured both ways, but my preference is for an absolute co-witness. Some folks argue that the optic sits too low this way, but that has not been my experience at all. The dot positioned near the tip of the front iron sight is not distracting to me either. Some folks prefer the more open view with the irons in the lower third. If possible, test drive before you buy.

johnson
25 August 2008, 21:12
johnson,

What is your skill background as far as AR15 rifles go? Is this going to be a rifle setup for benchrest shooting? Will it be carbine deisgned around the CQB thought? what type of lower are you running with? Does the company that made your lower offer uppers?

AR15's are like candy, they come in lots of flavors and price ranges. Any rifle/carbine platform can have upgrade mods anytine you want.

I personally feel the pocketbook should guide your build/design schedule, not everyone has the abiltiy to buy dreams at the drop of a hat.

Answer some the questions above and you will be able to given educated options and opinions

Dutch

P.S. Welcome to the board and welcome to the illness

Ive pulled the trigger a few times and other than that I have no experience.

The purpose of the rifle is for all around use e.g. home defense, plinker, shtf, etc. The only other rifle I have is a CZ 452 Lux with iron sights. If you only had 1 rifle for said uses, what would be on it?

Current lower is a Noveske stripped lower, Rock River LPK, Magpul MIAD and trigger guard, and VLTOR E-MOD stock.

I figured around $2000 as a budget. An LMT, Colt, or Noveske would have costed more than that after I changed some parts out. A BCM upper fits the bill but i'm gonna put out a little more money for the better barrel.

After adding everything up it looks like a Noveske N4 Light Recce Basic + DD Lite 9.0 is not much more than what i'm wanting if you figure in they give you a magazine and flash hider of your choice. Is there a way to do it cheaper?

TigerStripe
25 August 2008, 22:08
I don't there's a way to get what you're talking about for less than that price. My personal preferences are an ARMS 40-L, 40L-P, or 40L-SP and an EOTech, still it's just personal preference.

TS

Dutch
26 August 2008, 16:12
johnson,
Thanks for answering some of my questions, it gives me a better chance to give you my opinion based on facts not me guessing at things.

1st thing I would say is don't get wrapped around the axle with high end names and equipment. I am not saying don't buy quality equipment, just don't over look skill is built on pulling the trigger many times and developing skills, they can't be bought with high end gear.

I think ARMS makes great backup iron sights (BUIS) I like the 40L, though I have a carbine that has a MATECH sight on it as it mirrors my issued carbine.

Eotech and Aimpoint both make what I consider to be the best CQB optics available for the cost. I have both an Eotech 512 and Aimpoint Comp ML2 and like both, though I lean toward my Aimpoint as it is what I have the most time with and teach soldiers with. I won't get into which is better as that is a long drawn out process, evaluate both, read what others have to say as far as pro's and con's and make your best decision for you.

As this a "recreational" weapon not a working gun, I would lean towards spending excessive amounts of money on Ammunition rather than a 1k plus upper. People will disagree with me, but skill comes from trigger time and rounds down range. Find an upper receiver that meets your needs and won't break the bank to modify to your wants and needs.

The uppers you have mentioned are all fine choices I can't speak for one over the other as I don't have experience with them.

Good luck and hapy shooting

Dutch

johnson
27 August 2008, 07:11
deleted