PDA

View Full Version : Getting a New Barrel

Arclight
27 August 2008, 09:56
Hello members of Weapon Evolution!

I'm new to the site, but have frequented it as a guest because of the wealth of knowledge stored here. But the time had come where I needed to share my newly found case of Black Rifle Disease with others. I currently own an Armalite M-15a4 SPR. It has a 20 Inch Barrel with a non-removable flash hider. I would love to get a Smith Enterprises Vortex for it, but to do so, I would first require a new barrel for my rifle. Unfortunately anything shorter than a 20" is not an option... because I just spent Four Hundred and Twenty Dollars on the ARMS 59M S.I.R.

I'm collecting all the parts I want to finish up my rifle, most of which I will buy from Weapon Evolutions partner "Rainier Arms" because I live in Oregon, and the good state of Washington is our neighbor. Not only that but because I had also purchased a POF GEN III Lower from them and received it with amazing customer service from another member of the site, John.

What I have come here to ask of you fine AR-15 shooters is on the subject of 20" barrels with threading, which is the most economical for quality? (If the two can be combined.)

I've heard good things about Bushmaster and Saber, and I've taken a peek at Rainier Arms barrels, but they don't come in full length rifle. Could I hear some suggestions?

jvencius
27 August 2008, 10:40
Is the flash suppressor machined into the barrel? If not, then you can always cut/grind the FS off and chances are the barrel is threaded underneath. That would be a mucho cheaper-o option than buying a new pipe.

Arclight
27 August 2008, 10:55
I'm guessing it'd be difficult to tell from a picture? I can take one, including all the current parts that I do Have for it. Lots of new goodies to come. Bobro VFG, POF Front Hooded sight, PMags.

Cutting and grinding isn't something I want to do with this rifle :(

TigerStripe
27 August 2008, 12:33
I'm guessing it'd be difficult to tell from a picture? I can take one, including all the current parts that I do Have for it. Lots of new goodies to come. Bobro VFG, POF Front Hooded sight, PMags.

Cutting and grinding isn't something I want to do with this rifle :(

Unless it is pressed on you wouldn't really be cutting or grinding on your rifle, just the flash suppressor. The easiest thing to do would be to ask Armalite how their flash hiders are attached.

TS

Arclight
29 August 2008, 10:21
Well that's settled, Looks like I got a "Post-Ban" configured barrel with a non-removable flash hider. But I did manage to install my ARMS S.I.R. Rail without much of a hassle.

So what's a good sturdy 20" barrel I should get? It's gotta be done now.

Pistonhead
3 September 2008, 19:39
Well that's settled, Looks like I got a "Post-Ban" configured barrel with a non-removable flash hider. But I did manage to install my ARMS S.I.R. Rail without much of a hassle.

So what's a good sturdy 20" barrel I should get? It's gotta be done now.

I just built one around one of these, http://www.superiorbarrels.com/Our%20Barrels.htm

I went with a 20" SDM steel in Hard blue. Worth every penny. With a good scope 1" 300 yd groups can be done. In the right hands even better.

BUT, a qualified gunsmith can remove the offending hider.

Arclight
4 September 2008, 09:54
Looks great, unfortunately it's out of stock. The quest continues