PDA

View Full Version : Shop Etiquette

Battle Cock
1 April 2014, 13:51
I have spent an inordinate amount of time in gun shops ever since I got my driver's license so I have seen a wide variety good and bad shop etiquette from both customers and employees. This thread is aimed more toward discussing employee behavior. I am seeking employment as a sales associate in a local shop (both for the industry experience and the networking potential) and I wanted to hear from WEVO members about the kind of gun shop employees you tend to respect and which behaviors frustrate or annoy you. I like learning to avoid the' mistakes of others whenever possible.

Personally, condescending employees probably turn me off to a gun shop more than anything else. I know that they deal with fools spouting BS as or more often than knowledgeable customers, but when they approach that situation thinking that all customers are beneath them it can cause me to leave on the spot. The other side of condescension are those guys who pander to every BS notion they hear and act impressed by dangerous ideas just to make a sale.

I have great respect for those who are discerning and seek to educate those in need. The ones who respect a healthy exchange of information and are willing to invest a little time with a customer before making (or at least showing) judgements about them. I would never have developed a passion for firearms or for the people who love them, if it were not for the local men and women who took the time to feed my curiosity and show me trust when I was just a kid with eyes for every tactical looking piece they had.

GOST
1 April 2014, 15:17
I wouldn't ask to many question, but I'm a little on the paranoid side. And loud salesmen can be annoying. The last time my Wife bought a gun the salesman was very opinionated and she ended up buying her gun somewhere else. I'm not the best person to take advise from but I hope this helps and God bless.

FortTom
1 April 2014, 16:10
A good salesman does more listening than talking. Engage your customer to see if he/she and you have any common ground as a starting place. Ask the customer what their needs are. If they're knowledgeable, then accommodate them, and show them what they want to see. Don't be impatient, or looking around trying to size up someone else who might or might not be buying today. Take care of your customer, the one you greeted, and spend as much time with them as necessary, even if your working on a commission. If that person doesn't buy today, they may remember you when they come back and drop some serious cash.

A good salesman does more listening than talking. If a customer seems a bit, or completely lost, don't go straight for a pitch. Talk a bit. Ask them about their needs, their skill level, if they are strictly in the market for a hobby, or looking for a SD weapon. If you find out they're looking for a self defense weapon, ask them some relevant questions. Have they shot much, if any? Where do they live (what type of dwelling). Do they have 2 or 3 kids running around, and the neighbors kids over too. Are they going to take at least a basic firearms safety class and a basic SD class? Then offer several, if possible, firearms that meet THEIR needs, not yours. Don't have them going out the door with a .44 mag. Desert Eeagle, when a Glock 9mm will do, even if the boss says you get a bonus if you get rid of it. Doing right by them will get you word of mouth customers (you do always have a business card in your pocket, right?).

Really, sales are sales. Only the product differs. If you're an arrogant a$$wipe, you'll come off that way whether your selling grass seed, guns, or aerospace parts. You might do well to go to Barnes and Noble's and look over a few books on sales. Grab the one that, after you thumb through them, you find enjoyable to read and take it home and read it at least twice.

A good sales person knows this. Sales are completely dynamic, and not static. Every customer will be a bit different. You'll meet some truly great people, and you'll meet some complete jerks. The great salesmen know this and know how to handle every type of situation. The great salesman can make a sell to either.

Forget about the stories you'll hear about the know-it-all customer, or the arrogant know-it- all salesman. These people exists in every aspect of life, be it a visit to the gun store, or standing in line at the grocery store. It's how you handle the situation that will line your pockets with all kinds of folks. Last of all, and more importantly, be honest.
It's a falsehood to think that all salesmen are lying crooks. Sure, some are, but they'll burn through their customer base, and move on, leaving burned bridges and pissed customers behind. If you don't know something, then don't act like you do. Get help. It shows integrity.

This is getting too long. Get a good book. It'll help you handle all types of customers, their concerns, or when trying to close a deal, build value into the product (why am I, the customer, forking over $800 bucks for this), and learn to overcome objections, again (why am I the customer, forking over $800 bucks for this).

Happy Selling,

FT[:D]

GOST
1 April 2014, 17:07
What he said.

Battle Cock
1 April 2014, 22:09
Thank you both for your imput. I appreciate any answers I get because they all give some insight or another.

FortTom, Wow, that was so much more than I was expecting. Thank you for taking the time to share with me. Your point about "sales are sales" was a good reminder. That's something I knew, but hadn't consciously applied to the idea of gun sales. I'll take your advice and do some serious reading on the subject.

jjl103
2 April 2014, 09:38
I am very picky about the gun shops I frequent. I live in MS, and a lot of the ones around here have employees that are completely stuck up. Either they try to tell me that they don't carry X product because it isn't a bushmaster or colt (and according to them, they are the only ones who make quality ARs), or they sit back behind the counter and offer no type of exchange at all with the customer. FortTom is right, its all about engagement. I don't expect employees to drop everything they are doing to talk to customers who come in, but when they are leaning over the counter staring off into the parking lot, I at least expect a bit of friendly interaction - especially if the topic is a $600 optic I'm looking to buy. Don't become a gun shop snob and I think you'll do fine.

Great example of good customer service is Rainier Arms. They are the only ones I've called or have been contacted by that really made me feel like they cared about my interests and business.

MoxyDave
2 April 2014, 15:06
Based on your posts so far I think you'll do fine. It sounds as if you have a good attitude, evidenced by even asking this question.

The people I like to deal with at any store are friendly and knowledgeable. Learn everything you can about your product, listen to the customer and don't try to sell them junk they don't need. Answer their questions succinctly and stay on-topic. Use examples to explain why they might need or want a certain thing such as a nice holster.

I would start by becoming an expert in one field (say, AR15s or 1911s) then move on to the next once you have some mastery. Then when a customer comes in looking for that particular product, you can be the "go-to guy" for them. Other employees might respect you for this, or they might be combative if sales are based on commission. It all depends on the person ...

Good luck!

Battle Cock
3 April 2014, 00:35
These are some great responses. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I particularly like the idea of choosing an area of knowledge in which to specialize in the beginning. I know enough that I can give general information about most guns I encounter but I'm certainly not an expert in any of them. I'll be chewing on this food for thought for awhile.