PDA

View Full Version : Sale on Aluminum 5.56 Mags

GOST
11 April 2014, 09:14
Wilson Combat has aluminum 5.56 mags on sale for $8.98.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/AR-Style-Magazine-223-Cal-_-556mm-NATO-30-Round-C-Products-Defense/productinfo/TR-CPDMAG30/

rob_s
13 April 2014, 05:37
C-Products has been a no-go for a long time.

GOST
13 April 2014, 12:24
Sorry Rob, I'm not current on all the go and no go; I'm no operator.

KevinBLC
13 April 2014, 12:27
I made the mistake of buying a couple of C-Products mags during the panic. They flat out don't work. Maybe they've gotten better?

Slippers
13 April 2014, 12:38
No reason to touch those when you can buy NHMTG.

UWone77
13 April 2014, 17:54
No reason to touch those when you can buy NHMTG.

I think most of my metal mags are NHMTG and D&H.

Anyone beside me using mainly metal mags vs PMags?

Battle Cock
13 April 2014, 18:02
I only use PMags. But thats only because I can't stipple metal mags. (And still have them function anyway)

Eric
13 April 2014, 18:38
CP folded a few years ago with much drama, to later come back as CP Defense. The original CP SS mags I had ran great and were stout. Their chrome silicon springs rusted out and they went through all kinds of reliability issues within their product line. Customer service was inconsistent. With proven aluminum mags running about $10 each, I'll pass.

Slippers
13 April 2014, 20:32

Me :) I prefer the NHMTG 20 rounders, but occasionally use 30s when I want to monopod off them.

rob_s
14 April 2014, 03:25
If "operator" means "guy who actually shoots his gun", then yes, I are one.

If you're going to shoot metal mags, and metal mags are all I shoot, NHMTG is the only way to fly.

I have a whole system for them. Green Ranger plates are loaded with steel cased, tan ranger plates are loaded with brass-cased, black Ranger plates are loaded with ninja bullets. All get yellow Magpul followers. I keep 10 tan and 10 green loaded, each in a nylon mag purse that I can grab and take to the range. I keep 20 of each loaded in ammo cans, with four black in each can as well. Those are for taking to training classes. Black mags are for whatever zeroing we do, the others are for blasting. Ensures I never have to jam a mag until I get back to the hotel.

Then I have another 10 mags that stay unloaded for stages that require a downloaded mag to start. Those get no Ranger and no Magpul follower (a) to make them easy to identify and (b) because they are the most likely to get lost.

So I have thirty mags loaded with brass, 30 mags loaded with steel, and 10 mags loaded with ninja bullets. The extra two that aren't in an ammo can are on my ninja rifle, one in the well and one in the Redimag.

I really hate spending range time jamming mags...

But I don't use Pmags, and I don't use crap-products.

GOST
14 April 2014, 04:04
Educate me, what's wrong with PMAGS?

Computalotapus
14 April 2014, 04:37

Same here. I would like some education on this as well.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

MoxyDave
14 April 2014, 09:52
The new C-Products Defense mags are great. I bought a ton of them before the CO magazine ban and they work extremely well. I have some of their older mags and they work fine too. Just my $.02 ...

rob_s
14 April 2014, 11:44

Pmags, for me, turned out to be an unintentional change. I just woke up one day and had 50 of them, after having only ever bought 12. Once I realized this, I started to ask myself why I was using them, and why I wasn't using GI mags. I couldn't come up with a reason that was pro-Pmag for my uses so I went back to the solution that worked best for me.

so Pmags, for me, are just a choice.

C-Products, on the other hand, are garbage made by incompetents. Besides my own failures I've seen too many failures with other people to ever trust anything with that name, or any variation on that name.

tappedandtagged
14 April 2014, 12:01
Lancer. My new favorite. Not a fan of the Gen 3 Pmags. The feed lips drug on the bottom of my bolt carrier. Sold them all and bought Lancer mags. Haven't looked back.

GOST
14 April 2014, 13:17
I have a few of the clear Lancers and had no issues with them.

UWone77
14 April 2014, 22:48
There are nothing wrong with PMags, I just prefer to use Metal Mags. Why? Because Metal Mags are cheaper, and I don't know if PMags are actually better than their $9.99 counterparts. That and the fact I've cracked the feed lips off of at least 6 PMags.

That being said, I still have a good stash of PMags.

gatordev
15 April 2014, 14:41
There are nothing wrong with PMags, I just prefer to use Metal Mags. Why? Because Metal Mags are cheaper, and I don't know if PMags are actually better than their $9.99 counterparts. That and the fact I've cracked the feed lips off of at least 6 PMags.

That being said, I still have a good stash of PMags.

I think it's like everything else in the shooting world...it's how you intend to use the tool and what works for you. I have a handful of D&H mags that have worked well for me, but I've acquired so many Pmags (some inadvertently) pre-panic that if I crack a few feed lips, it's not a huge deal. And even if I do, I'm pretty sure Magpul will stand behind their product if I wanted to spend the time to pursue it. But again, it's how one uses the tool. For the last 2 1/2 years, I shot in the sandy (sometimes muddy) environment of S. California. Not once did I ever have a stoppage that was dirt-related, and that's after dropping mags in various dirt mounds at the primary range I shot and competed at. The DH mags still work fine, but I could tell they needed to be babied a little more. It's very similar to what I found with my Glock mags vs. my Sig mags. The Glock mags would eat sand and still work. The Sig mags would need some extra attention when loading when not cleaned.

But again, it probably matters most to the individual and what works for him/her. For me, Pmags have been the answer and I'm happy to keep using them for not much more than UWone paid for his metal mags just due to keeping an eye on the sales.

AR-10
16 April 2014, 08:40

Yep.

I prefer metal over polymer.

First choice would be Colt mags with Magpul followers.

Second would be newer production Okay Ind. with the tan anti-tilt followers and improved springs.

Slippers
16 April 2014, 10:37
Okay, NHMTG, and Colt are the same thing. :)

AR-10
16 April 2014, 11:06
Not sure what you mean about them all being the same.

The Okay mags I've received lately have a follower and spring that are not compatible with any other USGI magazine components.

The tab on the follower where the spring is inserted is in the center of the follower, normally the tab is slightly offset towards the rear.

The new springs are also wider and will not work with a standard follower.

I've never seen a Colt mag that didn't use standard parts.

On top is a Colt spring with a Magpul follower, below it are the new Okay spring and follower:

http://i57.tinypic.com/54iyo1.jpg

Slippers
16 April 2014, 12:48
I can't speak about revisions the company has made to the magazines they're producing over the years, but Okay Industries sells magazines to the consumer market through the Ronan Corporation (NHMTG), and also used to (and may still) manufacture magazines for Colt.

Besides the fact that all three companies are located in Connecticut within 20 miles of each other, there's also the fact that the Okay Industries website happens to use photos of magazines from the same photo shoot as NHMTG. If you look real closely at the first picture from the Okay Industries site, you'll notice the side of the magazine is stamped "NHMTG." :)

Okay: (taken from http://www.okayind.com/images/galleries/fire_arms_product/big/RonanAR-15-Mags_Bullets_Final.jpg)
http://www.okayind.com/images/galleries/fire_arms_product/big/RonanAR-15-Mags_Bullets_Final.jpg

NHMTG: (taken from http://nhmtgmags.com/)
http://www.ronancorp.com/RonanAR-15%20Mags_Bullets_2s.jpg

So I suppose what I really meant in my earlier post is that the magazines are all made by the same company. Not that all the magazines are identical (although when it comes to 20 rounders, they pretty much are, besides the base plate being stamped with "colt" or "nhmtg," and my pre-2000 era 20s having metal followers instead of plastic).

Txfilmmaker
29 September 2014, 10:35
Great and helpful thread!

Computalotapus
29 September 2014, 10:48

Switching over to metal mags for the competition rifle. Less issues with the billet receivers using the metal mags, I had to sand all my pmags to get them to drop free from the NTD set.

Thompson
29 September 2014, 14:46
Switching over to metal mags for the competition rifle. Less issues with the billet receivers using the metal mags, I had to sand all my pmags to get them to drop free from the NTD set.
The PMAG dimensions didn't fit your lower?

Computalotapus
29 September 2014, 16:30
The PMAG dimensions didn't fit your lower?

They fit but it was a snug fit for the Gen 2 PMAGs and they didn't drop free from the lower. I had to do some sanding on them to get them to drop free.

Thompson
29 September 2014, 21:14
Oh, ok.