PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Releases M-LOK

GOST
23 April 2014, 01:31
Magpul releases M-LOK.

http://magpul.commercev3.com/downloads/M-LOK_Release_FAQs.pdf

GOST
23 April 2014, 03:39
I wonder if this means no keymod acessories from Magpul?

FortTom
23 April 2014, 06:29
I wonder if this means no keymod acessories from Magpul?

It would appear that way. I would think they'd be promoting their own M-LOK system, rather than competing with themselves, manufacturing rail, M-LOK and K-Mod. Maybe someone with "insider" info might give us a hint to the truth, though..?

FT

cma g21
3 May 2014, 12:28
FWIW, I've read elsewhere that Keymod doesn't work well with Magpul's polymer hand guards, and so Magpul has no plans to make Keymod accessories.

FortTom
3 May 2014, 12:52
I'm pretty certain that they will still be supporting picatinny rails for a very long time, just due to the sheer numbers of those rail systems that are and will be in use for a very long time.

FT

Deckard
3 May 2014, 13:21
We have been using our own standard since 2007. The MOE accessory market is measured in millions where the keymod is measured in the tens of thousands.

M-LOK is backwards compatible with MOE accessories and is more versatile and easier to manufacture than either MOE slots or Keymod.

M-LOK just updates the MOE standard with a TDP that is open to all manufactures and was designed from the outset to be utilized on metal, polymer or carbon fiber mounting surfaces.

Here are a few M-LOK advantages over Keymod off the top of my head

M-LOK works over a wider material thickness range than Keymod.
M-LOK uses a flat nut that is suitable for polymer, metal and carbon fiber mounting surfaces.
M-LOK is a true direct attach system so a line of accessories mounted next to each other do not need to be slid off to remove just one piece.
M-LOK has better recoil/impact support than Keymod.
M-LOK uses a larger bolt and has greater direct surface contact than Keymod resulting is greater pull out strength (a single MLOK mount exceeds 300 lbs in all materials)
M-LOK accessories are multi directional (can be mounted forward or backwards).
M-LOK has a uniform internal edge that can be generously chamfered allowing a better feel on the hand than Keymods 45 degree under cuts.
M-LOK can use any of the millions of MOE accessories already fielded via an adapter plate.
M-LOK slots are much lower cost to manufacture than Keymod resulting in lower cost to consumers.
M-LOK nuts are much lower cost to manufacture than Keymod resulting in lower cost to consumers.
M-LOK bolts are commonly available (user replaceable) and allow more torque to be applied than Keymod.
M-LOK slots requires no special CNC cutters or complex injection molds to manufacture an undercut like Keymod resulting in lower cost to consumers.

Keymod does allow for a slightly lower QD mount than MLOK and is almost flush on the inside of the tube (that might affect those mounting suppressors internally within a small freefloat handguard)

Saw this somewhere else.