PDA

View Full Version : Buffer swap when suppressed?

tappedandtagged
28 April 2014, 20:29
My tax stamp for my SWR Specwar 5.56 should be here in a few weeks. When I shot my AR with it a while back with my dealer I noticed a nice puff of gass in my face on each shot. My solution to that is safety glasses (should have been wearing them all along). I'm not really worried about gas in the face.

But... I am concerned about increased wear on my rifle. My SOT recommended a H2 buffer to slow the BCG down.

I've searched the forums and googled the crap out of this. All the stuff I've found is more geared to the gass blowback and the wear factor is kinda pushed to the sidelines. So, I figured you guys should have an answer.

Should I get the H2 or just have fun and run the carbine buffer?

Rifle is a Windham Weaponry 16" carbine. Brass was ejecting at the 4 o'clock unsuppressed and about 2 - 2:30 suppressed.

FortTom
28 April 2014, 20:37
As far as the gas goes, you might want to take a look at one of these. PRI Gas Buster CH Here: http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186694 I have one that I've swapped around with different rifles under different conditions, and feel they do what they advertise, and in your case, you'd see even more benefit. A little expensive, but will keep gas, lube, etc out of your face. Just a thought.

FT

UWone77
29 April 2014, 00:28
Unfortunately that's life with a suppressor. The hot gasses not only blow back into your face, but are harder on your guns components. However, changing the buffer will not in my opinion slow down the wear and tear on your gun. It's also my opinion that you will need 10's of thousands of rounds to really see a difference.

I would go with whatever works and shoot the crap out of it.

What's your setup?

GOST
29 April 2014, 03:50
My friend runs a LMT enhanced carrier only, AR gas vent foward assist and RVT to help seal around the charging handle. This works pretty good for him.

tappedandtagged
29 April 2014, 05:20
Unfortunately that's life with a suppressor. The hot gasses not only blow back into your face, but are harder on your guns components. However, changing the buffer will not in my opinion slow down the wear and tear on your gun. It's also my opinion that you will need 10's of thousands of rounds to really see a difference.

I would go with whatever works and shoot the crap out of it.

What's your setup?

It is a Windham Weaponry AR with a 16" carbine gas system. The buffer and spring are the stock standard carbine spring and buffer. I went with the SWR Specwar 5.56 suppressor.

The gas doesn't really bother me. I just didn't know if the H2 buffer would slow the wear or not. My dealer suggested it, but I didn't know if it was sage advice or if he was just trying to make another sale.

MoxyDave
29 April 2014, 11:21
I like to run a heavy duty spring and H2 buffer in all my carbine-length guns, suppressed or not. It won't make any appreciable difference in wear. I've tried the Gas Buster and it's ok, but it doesn't really help much. The worst part of gassy-face is all the ammonia in the smoke makes your eyes and nose burn like hell with a high volume of fire.

Another option I like is Spike's T2 buffer. About the same weight as an H2, but uses powdered tungsten instead of weights. Less banging around and seems to shoot a little softer.

gatordev
29 April 2014, 13:05
Warning: I've done a lot of reading on the internet, so take this for what it is...

When reading stuff from guys like Iraqgunz and similar folks, it seems to have to do with more than just the buffer, but also the gas port, and how "in spec" it is for the gas length. Some manufacturers have a larger or smaller gas port than "spec," which can effect what buffer you may need (to "fix" the issue). I was really worried about this when I had a Colt 6920 cut down to a 10.3" barrel, but I asked ADCO about this and they knew the right gas port size to adjust it to. Also, assuming the gas port is good, say for example on a "spec" barrel, then you should use the "spec" buffer. Another example...I have a 14.5" Colt stock barrel and the spec (again, based on what I've read) is a H2 buffer. As a result, the thing runs like a top suppressed or unsuppressed (as does my CQBR thanks to ADCO).

At least that's what I've found in my research, and so far it's been working for me. Probably the first step to see confirm what works for you (after some break in) and then adjust, if necessary. I'm with UWone on the wear...by the time you see it, be it 5k or 10k rounds, you'll have spent so much more on ammo that worrying about replacing a Bolt, buffer, extension, or even a barrel isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

ETA: My little 12.5" carbine I put up in the "Layout" thread is running a ST-T2 buffer. Regardless of all the physics or science I mentioned above, that thing is incredibly smooth (unsuppressed). So much so that when I was shooting it, I was hearing a rattle and worried something wasn't right because I figured all the recoil was going somewhere it shouldn't have been. Turns out it was just the ASAP link rattling around on the end plate. Running it suppressed was a little "stiffer," but that's not unexpected.

FortTom
29 April 2014, 14:18
Another option I like is Spike's T2 buffer. About the same weight as an H2, but uses powdered tungsten instead of weights. Less banging around and seems to shoot a little softer.
MD
I've got them in two rifles, and soon will be in all 4. I tried one out of blind faith from a review I read somewhere, and was hoping for the price, it wasn't a gimmick. I could swear they both seem to "quiet down" a bit and run smoother, and as you say "softer".

FT

tappedandtagged
29 April 2014, 20:52
Great advice. If it's not going to make appreciable difference in wear then I'll just stick with it stock.

Thanks everyone. I've been doing good on my wait for my stamp thus far, but now that it's so darn close it's really starting to wear on me!!

Eric
29 April 2014, 23:55
I'd be running an H2 if not an H3 in that. The increased back-pressure with the can causes the action to cycle faster and you're more likely to encounter a malfunction. The increased buffer weight will help mitigate that. With the amount of money you already have invested the added cost is negligible.

tappedandtagged
1 May 2014, 00:48
Hoping to find a good deal on an H2 or H3 pop up in the classifieds, here or on one of the other sites. I've likely have two more months to wait. Form 4 went pending early December.

XxMerlinxX
1 May 2014, 17:54
Another trick to combat gas in the face is the RTV fix. Basically you put Permatex Ultra Black RTV on the charging handle around where the top of the rail ends and build up a little base there. This helps seal that channel a little bit as well as deflects the remaining gas away from your face.

http://03designgroup.com/photo/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-chargining-handle/DPP_0003copy%5B1%5D.jpg

tappedandtagged
7 May 2014, 20:45
Another trick to combat gas in the face is the RTV fix. Basically you put Permatex Ultra Black RTV on the charging handle around where the top of the rail ends and build up a little base there. This helps seal that channel a little bit as well as deflects the remaining gas away from your face.

http://03designgroup.com/photo/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-chargining-handle/DPP_0003copy%5B1%5D.jpg

I'll have to try that! Thanks.