PDA

View Full Version : Grease vs. oil on the buffer/buffer spring?

jvencius
10 September 2008, 12:36
Is there a consensus regarding whether to use grease or a lighter, oil-like lube on an AR buffer/buffer spring? Mine has a very light coat of Tetra Gun oil for now but if there's a more appropriate lubricant to use on that component, I'll switch.

TigerStripe
10 September 2008, 13:08
I may get smacked around for my point of view on this, but this is a place for opinions. I don't lube mine at all. I think it will only attract dust, carbon, etc. I haven't had any negative effects.

TS

Stickman
10 September 2008, 14:00
I may get smacked around for my point of view on this, but this is a place for opinions. I don't lube mine at all. I think it will only attract dust, carbon, etc. I haven't had any negative effects.

TS

Not sure why anyone would give you grief over that comment. I see no reason to run any form of lube on the main action spring. I don't do it in mine, and don't recommend it in classes.

The use of grease, and oil serves to pick up junk and foul it heavily. I understand that there are some people who wish to quiet it down, but I've never thought of the spring as making much noise when compared to the report of the weapon when fired.

Eric
10 September 2008, 16:46
I'm in the habit of using a light application of lube (CLP or gun oil, not grease). Large amounts for lube or grease just makes a mess. Since it's not really an area that gets nasty during firing, I don't always see the need to remove the buffer and spring. However, if I've been out in the muck, it comes out.

TigerStripe
10 September 2008, 18:56
Not sure why anyone would give you grief over that comment. I see no reason to run any form of lube on the main action spring. I don't do it in mine, and don't recommend it in classes.

I've read about people lubing theirs and the "conventional wisdom" I've seen has pointed toward lubing it. It just seemed to me to be unwise to do. I've learned to stay away from "conventional wisdom" and ask someone who knows about such things. "Conventional wisdom" is usually not very wise.

TS

Rampy
10 September 2008, 21:50
I like to keep it a tad wet with CLP, have been doing this since working in the SP armory many years ago as CATM always wanted em lightly moist as they felt the M16's functioned better.

Course this is the same CATM that wanted the BCG's wet with oil instead of bone dry like so many other CATM guys. Seems they always felt that a wet M16 just ran better than a dry one.

I never had a wet M16 fail, but have seen dry ones fail time and time again, so I'm a firm believer in just a touch (couple drops) of oil on the buffer spring.