PDA

View Full Version : Which 300 Blackout Barrel?

GOST
6 May 2014, 04:34
I've been considering either a Noveske 10.2" 300 AAC or the Rainier 10.5". Don't know which Rainier though, to many options is a good thing. Select, Match or Ultra Match? Between the 4 barrels which would you pick? I will be shooting supersonic, can't afford a supressor for the time being.

UWone77
6 May 2014, 23:50
Rainier likes to tell you when asking which barrel, do you want to shoot, quarters, nickels, or dime sized groups?

In my experience, the Select and Match barrels shoot about the same. The Ultramatch shoots a bit tighter, but I think you would need to be a pretty good shooter to get the maximum accuracy out of all the barrels. 300 isn't known as a precision round, so if it were me, I'd go with the Select 10.5" and call it a day.

If money is no object, you can't go wrong with the Noveske Barrel.

GOST
7 May 2014, 03:42
After I buy a gas block and have it pinned the Match and Select will run about the same as the Noveske.

Airborne_EWO
7 May 2014, 08:28
If it is going to be about the same price, I'd go with the Noveske. They both have great stuff, but dosen't Noveske make their own barrels in-house?

Sent from the center of the universe!

Ride4frnt
7 May 2014, 08:35
Fwiw, I bought a noveske barrel for my .300blk (got a good deal on it) and I could've gotten away with something much cheaper still. Yeah, the quality is there, and you're buying from a great company who is awesome to their customers, but as UWone77 said, the gun is only gonna be as accurate as the shooter, and I'm not as accurate as a noveske barrel.

GOST
7 May 2014, 11:38
I've seen the Noveske for $345 and free shipping, not bad considering pinned gas block. Subtract the pinned gas block and your looking at about a $260 barrel.

Ride4frnt
7 May 2014, 11:46
That's why I got my noveske. $380 during the huge panic last year, and it came with the pinned block and tube. And it wasn't a bad price considering the increases and noveske advertises $455 retail for that barrel. If you think it's worth the extra money, do it. I love mine, but could have gotten away with something cheaper.

zarmbie_killer
7 May 2014, 19:53
I got an 8." AAC, it shoots great, my suppressor is still in nfa purgatory so I'm only shooting supers.

FortTom
8 May 2014, 22:04
I'm interested in doing a 300 AAC, but I've been told that anything beyond a 10 to 11.5 inch barrel totally screws up all the benefits of having the round in the first place.
I wouldn't mind having a 14.5" barrel with a pinned brake, or comp, etc. I really don't want to get into NFA anymore, KY is very staunch in protecting our 2A rights, NFA stuff
can be a big pain in the ass, and I just don't want the problems associated with a SBR rifle.

Thanks,

FT

WHSmithIV
9 May 2014, 00:23
I'm going to do a .300 ACC for my next build. I figure it's gotta be one heck of a home defense weapon. I'm just going to go ahead and do a pistol build of one - I also have no interest in paying $200 tax stamps and NFA paperwork (though I may someday cough it up for a suppressor). As for what barrel I find, time will tell. I will be going for something under 10.5" for sure.

UWone77
9 May 2014, 10:53
I'm interested in doing a 300 AAC, but I've been told that anything beyond a 10 to 11.5 inch barrel totally screws up all the benefits of having the round in the first place.
I wouldn't mind having a 14.5" barrel with a pinned brake, or comp, etc. I really don't want to get into NFA anymore, KY is very staunch in protecting our 2A rights, NFA stuff
can be a big pain in the ass, and I just don't want the problems associated with a SBR rifle.

Thanks,

FT

I don't know if it "screws" up all the benefits, but for the most part you heard correctly as 300AAC Blackout really shines with both a short barrel and a suppressor. Where I live, we weren't allowed to have SBR's until just recently, so my 300's were Pinned 14.5" barrels. My main 300 is a Noveske, and it runs well with any ammo with/without a can. I'm not a big fan of pistols builds in general but have a Noveske 8.2 and a Rainier 8.5" uppers.

NFA can be a pain in the ass if you're not familiar with the process. However, once you understand the process it's not actually too difficult, just a lot of waiting involved and of course it adds $200 to each purchase.

Ride4frnt
9 May 2014, 11:53
I agree with the "not trying to deal with NFA" comment. I chose a 16" barrel and this caliber because the only thing different about the it for the AR platform is the barrel itself. I wanted this for a deer gun, and it was before I was familiar with the 6.8 spc round.

Now I have a 16" noveske 300blk and it runs all sorts of ammo fine (I mainly shoot UMC 115gr and PNW 147gr target rounds) but it handles PNW hunting ammo and Barnes hunting ammo just fine as well. Have never shot subsonic with it, but I have no need to being as it isn't suppressed.

In my opinion, where the noveske barrels really shine is in that pistol length gas system, rather than a carbine length, at least with the longer barrels.

GOST
28 May 2014, 11:42
Anyone running Daniel Defense's 10.3" 300 CHF salt bath nitride barrel?

lattin1
28 June 2014, 15:49
I bought two 10.5" match grade barrels from Wilson Combat and they're awesome. They also cost $100 less than a Noveske barrel.

UWone77
28 June 2014, 16:27
I bought two 10.5" match grade barrels from Wilson Combat and they're awesome. They also cost $100 less than a Noveske barrel.

Did they include the gas block and gas tube?

GOST
28 June 2014, 17:30
I checked out those Wilson Combat barrels, 11.3" was the shortest 300 they make. They were also only $70 less than the Noveske. Once you add $50 for a gas block, $30 to pin it and $15 for a gas tube the Wilson will end up being about $25 more than the Noveske.

tact
28 June 2014, 17:46
Looking at the Seekins now myself.

GOST
28 June 2014, 21:07
I'm trying to decide between the Daniel Defense 10.3" or the Noveske 10.2".

Gaspipeshooter
29 July 2014, 06:39
Resurrecting this thread to ask about a .300ACC/Blackout build. Recently got my Aero Precision "Pistol" marked lower, and have been thinking about a .300 pistol build instead of a .223/5.56 build. Looking at the Rainier Arms Select 10.5" barrel, but am wondering how the pistol length gas system functions in this cartridge? Would a pigtail gas tube be a worthwhile investment? Hoping the brain trust here can give me some good advice about this.

UWone77
30 July 2014, 00:05
Resurrecting this thread to ask about a .300ACC/Blackout build. Recently got my Aero Precision "Pistol" marked lower, and have been thinking about a .300 pistol build instead of a .223/5.56 build. Looking at the Rainier Arms Select 10.5" barrel, but am wondering how the pistol length gas system functions in this cartridge? Would a pigtail gas tube be a worthwhile investment? Hoping the brain trust here can give me some good advice about this.

Pistol length gas is optimal for many 300 BLK barrels. Longest most manufacturers use is carbine. Personally, I've seen no reliability edge to either gas system.

bzdog
30 July 2014, 02:38
I think Robert Silvers say use pistol < 16". My 16" Noveske 300 BLK complete rifle came with pistol gas and H2 buffer.

-john

Gaspipeshooter
30 July 2014, 05:03
Thanks for the feedback UWone77 and bzdog. Any advice on buffers? Standard carbine weight buffer or should I be considering a heavy buffer?

bzdog
30 July 2014, 16:51
H2

UWone77
30 July 2014, 19:07
As there seems to be no standard, and some barrels even require a suppressor to cycle, I'd start with a carbine buffer and move up from there. All my 300s work best with carbine buffers.

Ride4frnt
30 July 2014, 19:25
As there seems to be no standard, and some barrels even require a suppressor to cycle, I'd start with a carbine buffer and move up from there. All my 300s work best with carbine buffers.

Agreed. Mine seems not to mind. It will run fine with standard carbine buffer and spring, or t2 and Wolff xp spring, or any combination of those. Start running subsonic or suppressed that's when you may need to start playing with it.

Lolife
22 September 2014, 11:51
I have the Noveske myself, but to be honest most of those barrels are better than me.... I wanted to build a SBR with no doubt quality, my only regret was not going for a shorter barrel.....

GOST
23 September 2014, 02:03
What length did you go?

MO_AR
25 September 2014, 19:54
Does anyone make a 9" melonite or similar coated barrel of decent quality besides AAC?

aatheiss
29 September 2014, 12:33
I'm trying to decide between the Daniel Defense 10.3" or the Noveske 10.2".

I know I'm a bit late, only recently started browsing the forums. If you haven't lightened your wallet yet, maybe I'm not TOO late...

I recently bought a DD 10.3" S2W barrel for my 300 BLK pistol build. I went DD for two reasons. First, my brother's 10.5" 5.56 DD Mk18 build outshot my Delton 16" rifle. Second, the 16" mid-gas DD barrel I got to replace the Delton was both easy to install, and shoots very, very well.

I managed to find the 10.3" 300 barrel for $275 at Bravo Company USA. Couldn't pass it up! I've only shot it once to make sure the gun functioned right, so I haven't done any real shooting yet. There's no decent ranges around here...

ZaneMasterx
2 October 2014, 14:16
Love my rainier arms 8.5" on my sbr.

GOST
2 October 2014, 14:37
I know I'm a bit late, only recently started browsing the forums. If you haven't lightened your wallet yet, maybe I'm not TOO late...

I recently bought a DD 10.3" S2W barrel for my 300 BLK pistol build. I went DD for two reasons. First, my brother's 10.5" 5.56 DD Mk18 build outshot my Delton 16" rifle. Second, the 16" mid-gas DD barrel I got to replace the Delton was both easy to install, and shoots very, very well.

I managed to find the 10.3" 300 barrel for $275 at Bravo Company USA. Couldn't pass it up! I've only shot it once to make sure the gun functioned right, so I haven't done any real shooting yet. There's no decent ranges around here...
Let me know how she does.

Bubbasuwannee
16 October 2014, 20:40
I was going to use a Rainier 10.5" but they were out of stock at the time. Ended up going with a 9.5" Core 15 barrel instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MidwestShooter
22 October 2014, 03:00
I have has a sota arms 16" a rainier arms select 16" a DD 16" then a Wilson 11.3 cmmg 8" and seekins 10.5 and rainier select 14.5 in the last year . Im in a suppresor free zone so all i sot is supers and reloads so far best out of the box performance has been seekins and Wilson at 100m paper with 125g smk bullets over 4227 powder sub moa results

gmar
24 October 2014, 19:18
I have has a sota arms 16" a rainier arms select 16" a DD 16" then a Wilson 11.3 cmmg 8" and seekins 10.5 and rainier select 14.5 in the last year . Im in a suppresor free zone so all i sot is supers and reloads so far best out of the box performance has been seekins and Wilson at 100m paper with 125g smk bullets over 4227 powder sub moa results

How do you like your 8" CMMG?

rteno671
30 October 2014, 17:09
....the intended use for the barrel should be your guiding thought. Many report "home defense" as their intended use, so unless your lawn extends beyond 200M, the majority of the barrels on the market will meet that need. Realistically, many shooters can't hold to the same accuracy of the barrels potential. The barrel may be capable of "sub-MOA", but how it is assembled, who assembled it, what components are used and what ammo is used with it are all factors that influence the resulting accuracy of the firearm in totality.

....if the firearm can hit within a 9" circle at 200-300M, it can defend a person as well as feed a person....

Sak007
30 October 2014, 22:45
I'm thinking about a 10.5 barrel suppressed . Is there any reason to run a 10.5 over a shorter barrel ?

tcoz
1 November 2014, 05:52

I don't agree with this. I love my 16". For me, the two big benefits were being able to build an upper and using my AR15 lower and mags and also the ability to reform .223/5.56 brass and load 'em up. It's a lot of fun to shoot my supers up to 2-300 yds max, but that's all I have access to anyway.

usbp379
9 November 2014, 04:13
Check these guys out if you haven't made a purchase yet. I have two of their 223 barrels and am happy with both.

www.ballisticadvantage.com

cagekicker204
15 November 2014, 20:58
Anyone running a 8.2/8.5 Noveske? What do you think of it? I am considering one for my sbr.

xAZxE30x
16 November 2014, 02:22
Anyone running a 8.2/8.5 Noveske? What do you think of it? I am considering one for my sbr.

I just ordered one.. Give me a few weeks and I will let you know! A buddy runs one with zero issues at all

UWone77
16 November 2014, 07:17

I have a Noveske 8.2" Great barrel, but like their 8.5" is optimized for subsonic with a suppressor or just supersonic rounds. I've only shot supersonic through the barrel, and it locks back everytime. I shoot about MOA with it at 100. I haven't shot this particular barrel suppressed as right now it has a KX3 on the end of it. That may change later on if/when I break the gun down and reconfigure it. Originally, I was looking for the 10.2" but found someone selling a barely fired 8.2" locally, so I picked that up for a smoking deal.

Doing a quick search on Noveske's website, I don't even see the 8.2" listed anymore as the 8.5" seems to have replaced it. Not sure why that's changed.

Thompson
16 November 2014, 08:35
I have a Noveske 8.2" Great barrel, but like their 8.5" is optimized for subsonic with a suppressor or just supersonic rounds. I've only shot supersonic through the barrel, and it locks back everytime. I shoot about MOA with it at 100. I haven't shot this particular barrel suppressed as right now it has a KX3 on the end of it. That may change later on if/when I break the gun down and reconfigure it. Originally, I was looking for the 10.2" but found someone selling a barely fired 8.2" locally, so I picked that up for a smoking deal.

Doing a quick search on Noveske's website, I don't even see the 8.2" listed anymore as the 8.5" seems to have replaced it. Not sure why that's changed.
Are there specific barrel lengths are best for shooting subsonic/suppressed (since that's the route I want to go with my 300 BLK build)? Or is that something that varies manufacturer to manufacturer?

xAZxE30x
16 November 2014, 08:52

I just bought a 8.2" on Friday from Rainier and was curious and found out that they wanted to make them uniform with the 556 barrel lengths. Earlier this week there was a weird influx of in stock 8.2's. I even got mine on sale. Clearly making room for the 8.5's but the .3 difference and trying to clear space didn't make sense to me.

cagekicker204
16 November 2014, 12:29
Thanks I might just have to order one if they are in stock payday

SwissyJim
16 November 2014, 13:04
And Aero *added* and 8.2" to go with the listed 8 and 8½" versions - don't see it on the Aero site, but what I got from them says, and is, 8.2"
weird.

Dstrbdmedic167
16 November 2014, 13:09
Mad dog weapons also has an 8.2" barrel. I've got the 9.2" version and absolutely love it. It's shooting MOA with a standard red dot without much trouble. It's a fluted barrel and only $150 shipped!!

six8
17 November 2014, 07:35
Mad dog weapons also has an 8.2" barrel. I've got the 9.2" version and absolutely love it. It's shooting MOA with a standard red dot without much trouble. It's a fluted barrel and only $150 shipped!!

I don't see that on their site

Dstrbdmedic167
17 November 2014, 07:37
I don't see that on their site

Already gone!! It was there when I posted yesterday but of course is not now. If you want one you can give him a shout or let me know and I can text him and see how long it would take to get one.

n4p226r
2 December 2014, 11:37
Slightly off topic but does anyone know why noveske has 10.2" and 10.5" available? Is one preferable over the other?

xAZxE30x
2 December 2014, 13:17
Slightly off topic but does anyone know why noveske has 10.2" and 10.5" available? Is one preferable over the other?

It is to my understanding that they have switched to .5"'s to be in uniform with their 556 line ups. They are probably still offloading the 10.2's. I picked up an 8.2 before going out of stock and now all I have seen are 8.5's

Not 100% on that reasoning. Just what I have heard