PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight BALIOS Billet Upper and Lower Receiver Sets from 2A Armament

MoxyDave
9 May 2014, 14:52
These new receivers from 2A Armament look pretty sweet. I like a lightweight build in .22lr, otherwise I really don't care much but weight weenies might want to have a look. I think these are probably a better option than a skeletonized aluminum or polymer receiver.

I like the minimalist markings and the built-in sling points, and the machining looks pretty good.

BALIOS Billet Upper and Lower Receiver Sets (http://www.2a-arms.com/our-products/21-balios-billet-upper-and-lower-receiver-sets)

http://www.2a-arms.com/images/IMG_3261.JPG

RiverRat
9 May 2014, 20:45
IMO, the cooler version is the lite one.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/10003651_728832770470888_3430475723774944_o.jpg
Image credit: direct link from 2A's facebook page

MoxyDave
12 May 2014, 11:33
IMO, the cooler version is the lite one.

Well dang, that's what I thought I was posting. Ha!

Pyzik
12 May 2014, 11:38
Haha.

That second lower is sick!

GOST
13 May 2014, 05:12
I like the first lower better, but what do I know.

Judicator
14 May 2014, 10:39
No price on the website :(

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

DWood
14 May 2014, 12:35

http://www.hawktecharms.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=2A+Armament

UWone77
15 May 2014, 11:34

If you were too lazy to click the link above, they are $264.95 for the Lite Lower, and $216.95 for the Lite upper. I don't think that's much more than some high end billet upper receiver sets.

Judicator
15 May 2014, 11:35
I wasn't lazy! I clicked :) was to busy watching the Bruins lose to reply haha.

UWone77
15 May 2014, 11:37
I wasn't lazy! I clicked :) was to busy watching the Bruins lose to reply haha.

Well I used you as my out. [:D]

Since you didn't post, I had to take the extra step to click on them myself and figure it out. That was complete Corn... with a K.

RiverRat
15 May 2014, 11:49
Gotta say that I really like the way they blended the PMAG crosshatch into the magwell, so that the look of the magazine continues into the lower.

The last time I looked the Lites were still pre-order status. Today, there are 90 of them from the first run still available. Must resist.......I have other things I need to accumulate right now.

UWone77
15 May 2014, 11:58
Gotta say that I really like the way they blended the PMAG crosshatch into the magwell, so that the look of the magazine continues into the lower.

The last time I looked the Lites were still pre-order status. Today, there are 90 of them from the first run still available. Must resist.......I have other things I need to accumulate right now.

Besides, you already have a bad ass lower coming.

RiverRat
15 May 2014, 12:58
Hence needing to accumulate some other stuff. [wow]

I've already started looking for a billet upper that looks right. The way the entire top edge is beveled on that lower makes it a little more diffiicult to find an upper that seems well-suited.

Yes, it's a "barbie doll, first world" problem, but it's going to be something that I'll notice forever if I don't get it right.

UWone77
15 May 2014, 18:18
Hence needing to accumulate some other stuff. [wow]

I've already started looking for a billet upper that looks right. The way the entire top edge is beveled on that lower makes it a little more diffiicult to find an upper that seems well-suited.

Yes, it's a "barbie doll, first world" problem, but it's going to be something that I'll notice forever if I don't get it right.

So far the closest billet upper I've seen that matches is the Rainier Arms Billet. No time table yet on when San Tan will release their upper. It's gone through a few revisions...

back on topic...

Dr Tran
19 May 2014, 22:03
Finally the upper we've been asking for. A little pricey though.

Audiophiliac
9 June 2014, 19:58
It has been a while since I have been around here, but I saw this and thought I would chime in. I know one of the founders/owners of 2A Armament/2A Machine personally, and I can say that I have no doubt that these are fantastic pieces of precision machinery. Their machine shop is amazing and full of the latest and greatest from Makino, Zeiss, and others. They turn out stuff for lots of industries, not just firearms. (medical, off-road, defense, etc....stuff that requires absolute precision). I plan to purchase a set of the Balios Lite receivers to start my next build. It is always nice to be able to buy top notch gear from local companies. I hope to be able to completely build an AR out of parts made in my state. A lot of them made right here in Boise. If I wait long enough, I am sure 2A will be coming with more and more parts for us.

I will post updates of my build once I get around to starting it.

UWone77
10 June 2014, 17:26
It has been a while since I have been around here, but I saw this and thought I would chime in. I know one of the founders/owners of 2A Armament/2A Machine personally, and I can say that I have no doubt that these are fantastic pieces of precision machinery. Their machine shop is amazing and full of the latest and greatest from Makino, Zeiss, and others. They turn out stuff for lots of industries, not just firearms. (medical, off-road, defense, etc....stuff that requires absolute precision). I plan to purchase a set of the Balios Lite receivers to start my next build. It is always nice to be able to buy top notch gear from local companies. I hope to be able to completely build an AR out of parts made in my state. A lot of them made right here in Boise. If I wait long enough, I am sure 2A will be coming with more and more parts for us.

I will post updates of my build once I get around to starting it.

I hope your friends/connections there can get the price down a bit. Heavy Heavy Competition for everyone's dollar right now, so shelling out almost $500 for a receiver set is a tough pill to swallow as I know some .308 sets going for that much aren't selling well right now.

The receivers do look great though!

GOST
11 June 2014, 05:13
Competition for the dollar is good for the customer. At the local Wal-Mart you can get a Colt 6920 Magul edition for $850. These great looking receivers but without the credibility of manfacturers like Noveske it may be hard to move them at that price. You also have BAD now getting into the extreme LW department.