PDA

View Full Version : Building a Rifle for your Wife

UWone77
11 May 2014, 07:10
I know several of you have built or setup rifles for your significant others. Did you modify your existing setups for them or just build a rifle to their wants/needs?

I've finally decided to build my wife a rifle as she's finally taken some interest. That's mainly because she saw my CMT Titanium cerakoted receivers and decided that Tungsten cerakote would look good with pink furniture. I know... but whatever gets her interested.

Anyhow, at first I thought about just reconfiguring one of my existing rifles, but realized I don't have many Lightweight barreled uppers, and the ones I do have won't be getting torn apart. So I'm building this around a LW barrel. A few considerations:

Lightweight
Forged Receivers
Top Tier Components
Range Use mainly (100 yards in) but setup for HD
2 point sling
Red Dot Optic

And of course, whether I like it or not pink furniture. I'm building this for someone who has no previous experience with a rifle, so there will probably be a lot of trial and error on particular accessories on what feels comfortable.

Those of you that have built rifles for your ladies or not feel free to chime in as I've figured out not a lot of the components yet.

Computalotapus
11 May 2014, 07:27
I will say this from my experience. Christina was very hands on and wanted to touch and feel how everything would feel on her rifle before she picked. She hated the MOE and the UCWRG grips but loved the way the Hogue overmolded grip with finger grooves felt. She hated my MOE stock but loves her CTR stock. Take her maybe out to Rainier and let her handle a lot of different components show her a lot of different configurations. Whatever you do don't tell her "NO" unless you have a good reason behind it.

She picked everything out except the receiver set.. but me knowing that she is a huge resident evil fan it was a no brainer to get the UCWRG receiver set. She told me she wanted a lightweight barrel so I go it from BCM. Other than that she picked every part on her rifle. Looking forward to seeing your build on this one.

Airborne_EWO
11 May 2014, 07:58
I built my wife an AR from the ground up. Fortunately, she hates all the pink gun stuff.

When I was picking out parts, I went with top-shelf components as well. I gave her a few different options to choose from, explained the differences, and she picked out each part based on which she liked the best. We also went to about 4 or 10 gun shows so that she could fondle all the parts over and over again. She went lightweight on most everyting.

Seekins SP223 billet lower
RA upper, BCG, and Ambi CH
BCM LW 14.5 middy and low profile gas block
RA flash/brake
Noveske NSR 13.5 (BCM KMR wasn't out yet) and QD attachment
ALG ACT
BAD CASS regular/thin
BCM QD end plate
Magpul MOE stock
Hogue overmold grip
Magpul poly BUIS
EO Tech EXPS 2-2

Of course she then wanted a second one and had me get her a matched Noveske N4 chainsaw set from RA. slowly collecting parts for that one now. Probably going to SBR this one.

Sent from the center of the universe!

camomike
11 May 2014, 08:08
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/d9/ec/94d9eca9421f23d9794a80660506ea76.jpg
Are we taking pink pink? or a "shade" of red pink? The upper I'm going to chop into a car - dissy clone I did a purple tiger stripe pattern on. Rit dyed magpul FDE to make it work. So far it's held up quite well.

BCM makes this setup http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

I'm big on the idea of a fixed FSP for an HD gun, it's one less thing to worry about fumbling with in the dark.

If you do decide to dye or paint it, a magpul ACS-L stock balances out the front end weight nicely.

Also, for someone with little to no experience with rifles, I'd give them as much sight-post distance as possible. It will help with accuracy and in the long run build confidence that you can hold tight groups.

camomike
11 May 2014, 08:11
but me knowing that she is a huge resident evil fan it was a no brainer to get the UCWRG receiver set. Still want to get one of these sets.

Judicator
11 May 2014, 10:52
I did the same as airborne. Picked out companies I trusted, and let her pick from there. She really didn't care for lightweight tho. Think she cared more about its looks haha.

York arms custom lower
Cmmg lpk
Ati buffer kit
Mako stock
Stark industries grip w/ Qd point
Matrix upper
YHM low pro gas block
Yhm forearm
Green mountain barrel
Ra minicomp

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/daveby3u.jpg

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

RiverRat
11 May 2014, 11:13
I'm glad your wife is getting interested. I've been going though some of the same general exercises with my wife - across all three platforms (9mm pistol, shotgun, AR). I think you've made the right decision to make sure her stuff is hers, not yours. Thank goodness I didn't have pink color constraints.

Like others have mentioned, I found it crucial for my wife to put hands on assembled firearms. We pulled EVERYTHING out for her to handle and that allowed her to make pretty rational decisions even without tons of range time. From there, everything we have considered for her has been "up-sizable." If she doesn't like it, I'll get it. In fact, I hope she'll dislike the Sig 226 Elite SAO we're eyeing for her, cause I know I want it.

Onto your build, though....I'm going to offer a suggestion to discuss with your wife.

Hydrodipping instead of solid pink.

It opens up a lot of component choices for stock and grip that you don't have if you're trying to source factory parts. It might be a pain, sending out more parts, but you're already doing that to coat the receivers and the eyesight you save might be your own.

UWone77
11 May 2014, 11:15
Unfortunately, several of you guys are correct. She cares a lot about how it looks, but whatever gets her on the range is my thing, so if it looks a little hokey, that's something I'm willing to do. I'll have her try out several stocks and grips to see what she likes. In the mean time, I'm going with a Forged Receiver set (manufacturer yet to be determined) and a LW .625 at the gas block barrel. BCM or DD.

RiverRat
11 May 2014, 11:22
I'm going with a Forged Receiver set (manufacturer yet to be determined)

Forged SET that you're then coating? If you're not dedicated to the set, it might open some options......like getting a lower roll mark she likes (cough....Noveske chainsaw...cough) but putting it with an Aero or Rainer slick side upper. I know you said this might have an HD configuration, but she prefer omitting the FA (either for aesthetics or simplicity).

EDIT: Ooop, I see from another thread you're mulling over UCWRG. Another good rollmark and coating a HUUCR seems like an interesting option too.

And it sounds like you're going 14.5" on the barrel? At least that's my take if you're talking .625 blocks.

UWone77
11 May 2014, 12:01
RR,

I might have another 14.5" LW DD Barrel like the one you have floating around the house somewhere. If I do, then that's what I'll use. Otherwise, I'm thinking of a 16" BCM LW.

RiverRat
11 May 2014, 12:06
Ah.

You know what's keeping me from building that DD barrel out? I'm missing a gas tube roll pin.....funny.

For your wife, I would have suggested a 16", simply because unpinned muzzle devices seem like a good thing for a person's first AR. But I think you might have enough experience to pick a suitable device for her :) Just don't coat it pink.

I was having trouble envisioning the combination your wife was chasing. I found this on Cerakote's site

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_11737_1200xauto.jpg
Image credit: Cerakoteguncoatings.com

Note: edited to get titanium/pink instead of tungsten/pink

UWone77
11 May 2014, 12:13
I think there was a slight misunderstanding. The receivers will not be cerakoted pink, they will be cerakoted in Tungsten. The furniture, stock, grip, rail covers, ect will be pink.

browcs
11 May 2014, 12:25
All of you have cool wives......like Comp; he has an uber-cool wife!

Computalotapus
11 May 2014, 12:32
All of you have cool wives......like Comp; he has an uber-cool wife!

I truly did get lucky. And thank you Browcs for the compliment.

UWone77 I will say I have been extremely happy with the UCWRG receiver set. Jamie from Umbrella was extremely helpful and went above and beyond with customer service. The 14.5 LW barrel from BCM has been solid. No complaints from that either.

gatordev
11 May 2014, 12:39
For your wife, I would have suggested a 16", simply because unpinned muzzle devices seem like a good thing for a person's first AR. But I think you might have enough experience to pick a suitable device for her :) Just don't coat it pink.

It may just be best to start with an A2 anyway. It shoots fairly straight and doesn't have the associated "scary" loudness to it. The first time I took my wife (then GF) to shoot an AR, it had a brake on it (it might have been a BattleComp, but I can't remember). She was leery of shooting it because it was loud and she was worried about recoil (despite there not actually being much on an AR). After we got married, we went to the range one day and were just shooting .22. A guy down the line had a mostly stock MOE 6920 and offered to let her shoot it. It wasn't quite so scary this time, but it was "still loud."

I had her shoot a few rounds with a can for the first time yesterday while shooting through an ACOG out to 100 and it was a much more enjoyable experience for her. 9/10 rounds within 3-4" of center, which is pretty good for the second real time behind an AR.

Airborne_EWO
11 May 2014, 13:17
If your set on the forged set, I agree with River, let her choose the rollmark that she likes best. Lots of great options out there...another vote for Noveske!

schambers
11 May 2014, 17:57
My wife just set out some guidelines and let me run from there. I ended up getting lucky and found some rare/unique parts at the time I was building it out so her rifle is a hodgepodge of things. Shoots sub-moa with 77gr .223 rounds, the fit is super tight and shoots incredibly smooth. This got her more interested in shooting my bolt gun so a .308 of her own might be next on the agenda.

Highlights:
Complete upper by Iron Brigade Armory
Hart Barrel
War Sports/Legion lower
Geiselle 2-stage
Leupold glass

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Igoqm8tVWFg/Uh0_QUpeWqI/AAAAAAAAAFc/ei59WAhMGfg/w900-h621-no/photo+1.JPG

I really need to start taking quality photos of my weapons...

Ride4frnt
11 May 2014, 19:10
I wish my girl would shoot a rifle. The only guns she shoots out of my collection are my Henry lever action .22 and my Beretta 92. At least she shoots those though.

RiverRat
11 May 2014, 20:14
UW -

I hate to admit it, but I spent too much time today looking at pink components for your wife's carbine. I'm ashamed to say that I now know that the Battle Arms BAD-ASS and Tactical Link EBAL components aren't cerakoted with the same shade of pink.

If I weren't so happy that your wife is showing interest, I would curse you for putting me in touch with my feminine side. Heaven forbid this process somehow leads to severe manscaping.

hunt_ak
11 May 2014, 21:58
My wife says she knows 'more than she wants to' regarding AR's since my interest in them has greatly increased since we got married 9 years ago and she has taken multiple training courses. She wanted 'her rifle', so I just let her choose and went from there. I'm still waiting on a few parts to be sent for TiN coating (she's always wanted a gold trigger, so hey, she gets a gold trigger).

I did throw her a curve-ball though and told her since it was going to be her rifle that she would have to build it herself! :D

I posted a few of these earlier but will throw 'em up here again since it pertains to this thread.

Seekins Billet Receivers
Fortis 14" REV
Vltor A5
Mega Trigger
SIONICS Barrel

Installing the barrel nut
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1660625_10152012241222880_1898917566_n.jpg

Torquing (dont judge, my reaction rod was in the mail and I couldn't wait to assemble)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1016209_10152012240857880_10928642_n.jpg

Gas block/tube installation
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1604540_10152012240962880_1347504609_n.jpg

Rail alignment
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1622887_10152012241982880_1479335456_n.jpg

Muzzle device
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/150265_10152012242107880_193412836_n.jpg

Done!
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1621926_10152012242432880_573355004_n.jpg

hunt_ak
11 May 2014, 21:59
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1604603_10152012245282880_2053660564_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1625524_10152012245847880_1459440976_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1560528_10152012246347880_658223665_n.jpg

mustangfreek
12 May 2014, 01:19
Easy rich, take her down to your hangout..Rainier and let her touch and feel all the different rails etc...It would be like shopping for her, but for you..lol...

But ill just stand back and wait for pics..[:D]

Peckerinak
12 May 2014, 11:11
Rich,
For my wife she doesn't like the feel of metal in her hands so I went with Magpul forend. Light weight was definitely the goal so I used a DD Lw barrel, Vltor forward assit-less upper, RA XTC, RUC factory lower and a BCM mod 3 CH, she wanted a wider handle so it wasn't as hard on her hands. She also preferred a angled foregrip over a vertical grip. I've been debating on trying to get a railed gas block or a flip up one so she can co witness with the Strikefire she has, she gets rusty and doesn't seem as accurate as when she could just put the dot on the front post.

UWone77
12 May 2014, 11:24
Easy rich, take her down to your hangout..Rainier and let her touch and feel all the different rails etc...It would be like shopping for her, but for you..lol...

But ill just stand back and wait for pics..[:D]

Jason,

Why would I have to leave the house, I have every rail/grip/stock already [:D] I know, you hate me.

Actually, over the weekend, she tried out various grips, and it looks like the MOE stuff will workout for her. Then again it may change during actual shooting. Nothing is set in stone, and the furniture is the least of my worries.

I'm going to figure out what receivers to cerakote and which barrel to use.

Here's what my buddy Mike at AR15Chatterbox.com built:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/Pink_zps77181550.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/Pink_zps77181550.jpg.html)

Computalotapus
12 May 2014, 12:02
But....its pink

UWone77
12 May 2014, 12:08
But....its pink

You just have an eye for details [adore]

nobodyspecial
12 May 2014, 12:31
My Wife said absolutely no to pink. ;)

She ended up with a 16" Sabre Defence barrel with an A2 upper and fixed FSB with a rifle length FDE MOE handguard and matching FDE MOE furniture. One rail section to mount a flashlight finished off her home defense rifle.

ZKK
12 May 2014, 12:48
I like all the pink details, the sling ,bad lever and trigger. Nice work! Mrs.ZKK doesn't like the pink either, she does like the Moe handguard, went with black. I made the new pistol to be simple for her to run. I was going to go with a light barrel rifle but the pistol lightens things up and make for a compact package.

rob_s
13 May 2014, 10:01
I went from the use end and worked backwards.

The problems with rifles for everyone, but especially women, are:
1) Heavy
2) Hot
3) Loud
4) Long
5) "Painful" (not really, but people equate recoil to pain)

some of these issues countermand one another. For example, if you try to address #5 with a full brake, you increase the issues relative to #4. If you try to address the issue of #5 with a mid-length gas system, you increase weight (however incrementally). and in general, any time you reduce weight, you increase felt recoil. With that in mind...

The way I addressed each issue
1) Heavy
-barrel that is 14.5" long, 0.625" OD
-carbine-length gas system
-Troy Alpha Handguard
-9mm flattop upper with gas-hole drilled (no forward assist, no bras deflector, no door)
-Iron sights (today I'd probably get one of the small reflex sights)

2) Hot
-Tan furniture
-12.0-13.0 handguard (to cover barrel)
-Squid grips for handguard

3) Loud
-FH, not brake (at the time I used a Vltor, today I'd probably use a BCM Comp as it's not fully as loud as a real brake)

4) Long
-Magpul K-Grip
-CAR stock
-14.5" barrel

5) "Painful"
-de-burred all plastic
-plasti-dip the CAR stock
-Vltor FH (rumored to have mild braking effect, today I'd go with BCM comp)

Something to avoid is the urge to do a gun in 9mm. IME the 9mm AR kicks more than the 5.56. If your lady is truly recoil averse, get a S&W M&P15-22 and be done.

rob_s
13 May 2014, 10:04
BTW:

What Alaska says is a good point... let her pick her parts if you can. Or, build the whole thing and hand it to her as a surprise. If you try and do anything in between the two, like showing her the parts as they come in and getting her opinion, you'll never finish. If you're going to go the route of surprising her with a complete gun, but you want to get some input from her, get other guns for her to try and pay attention to WHY she likes certain parts. She may like a DD handguard over a Larue for no reason other than the DD is "pretty" because it's tan. If you don't know the why and then get a black DD handguard, she'll think you weren't listening.

ZKK
13 May 2014, 11:00
Mrs. ZKK has her own way of doing things. I, for some reason, unknown to me now, assumed she wanted a pink gun also. Big mistake. She was kinda irritated and asked " do you have a pink gun? Then why the hell do you think I would want a pink gun?" oops, silly me, black it is!

GOST
13 May 2014, 12:39
Mrs. Gost says all of mine belong to her. House isn't big enough to hide stuff from her.

browcs
13 May 2014, 16:22
But....its pink

Don't be a hater....pink is the new Ranger Green.

rayjax82
21 May 2014, 02:14
Gotta say Rich, my wife likes the feel of the rifle you built me. Its light enough for her to handle, and it balances right for her. She doesn't like pink guns, but maybe something similar to that.

UWone77
21 May 2014, 23:42
Gotta say Rich, my wife likes the feel of the rifle you built me. Its light enough for her to handle, and it balances right for her. She doesn't like pink guns, but maybe something similar to that.

That was a thought, but she doesn't care for the Parallax Rail. Specifically, how it feels in her hands. She wants something with a little more girth.

I will be looking for a similar if not the same barrel I used on yours however.

I just got back from Noveske with a bunch of stuff [:D] So this project and everything else is going on the backburner. I hope my wife doesn't notice she doesn't have a pink rifle this summer.

gatordev
22 May 2014, 12:44
Specifically, how it feels in her hands. She wants something with a little more girth.

Not sure you'll be able to make up for your own short-comings by building her a rifle. I'm just sayin'...

FortTom
22 May 2014, 13:28
WOW!!! Uh...Oh....[pop] this isn't going to be good...cover your eyes, children....[:D]

FT

MoxyDave
22 May 2014, 14:32
She wants something with a little more girth.

I resisted! But I knew someone had to go there hahaha [:)]

FortTom
22 May 2014, 16:38
I resisted! But I knew someone had to go there hahaha [:)]
Like they couldn't??? hahahahahahahahaha!

FT

UWone77
22 May 2014, 16:44
Not sure you'll be able to make up for your own short-comings by building her a rifle. I'm just sayin'...

gator, with all that military experience, I figured you'd have better than 8th grade material [:D]

GaSwamper
22 May 2014, 18:55
Made the big mistake of letting the old lady shoot the last 6.8 build. Now I goota find a new rifle.

gatordev
23 May 2014, 14:37
gator, with all that military experience, I figured you'd have better than 8th grade material [:D]

Let me tell you something about the military... It's all fart jokes and finishing sentences with "...that's what she said." Well, at least when I'm around.

True story, though: don't get aviators talking about peeing or pooping in aircraft. The conversation will never end.

ETA: Here's some evidence... One of the threads goes on for 5 pages. I may or may not make a cameo appearance in there.

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/props-make-you-poo-plane-capt-appreciation-thread.30650/

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/when-you-gots-to-go-but-youre-in-the-air-toilet-humor.33238/

UWone77
28 May 2014, 21:03
Picked up a 14.5" LW Daniel Defense barrel for this today. Undecided about receivers, but I have lots of time to piece meal this thing together.

GOST
29 May 2014, 01:18
Them BAD receivers would be cool.

DMViergever
29 May 2014, 06:33
My wife picked up one of my rifles one day and started busting clay pigeons we had set up after an IDPA match. It was one of my first rifles and was built on the cheap...It started as a M&A parts kit with A 16" carbine gas Wilson barrel with A2 handguards and MOE stock with an Eotech 512. Now it wears an AA kit and MOE handguard and her Eotech is purpl. She also has an AFG and Hogue grip. I think she's going to claim my Fortis 9 CAR cut soon though.

I did however have a SCAR in to do some photography for a company the other day and now she wants one of those with BROWE optic....FML.

camomike
15 June 2014, 18:35
[QUOTE=DMViergever;54111

I did however have a SCAR in to do some photography for a company the other day and now she wants one of those with BROWE optic....FML.[/QUOTE]
I don't feel bad about your problems, I have a wife and there by some of my own...

LanceCriminal
23 June 2014, 08:08
I've had a 16" DD Carbine LW barrel sitting in the closet for over 2 years now. I picked it up specifically to build the wife a light rifle but so many other things came up in the meantime. The plan is to do a forged upper/lower, Auto BCG, Centurion 12" CMR (thinking maybe even 10 or 11"), carbine extension and a light stock. I'll probably set her up with a PA Micro dot or similar budget dot as she wouldn't shoot as much as I do, but I'd still want something that works for when I "borrow" it. It's not one of the crazy 5lb diet rifles, but my old 16" M4 was just a bit too heavy for her to hold up, so I'm thinking LW barrel and CMR should help it stay light out front, and we can mount a Surefire Scout 300 for the house.

UWone77
23 June 2014, 20:30
I've had a 16" DD Carbine LW barrel sitting in the closet for over 2 years now. I picked it up specifically to build the wife a light rifle but so many other things came up in the meantime. The plan is to do a forged upper/lower, Auto BCG, Centurion 12" CMR (thinking maybe even 10 or 11"), carbine extension and a light stock. I'll probably set her up with a PA Micro dot or similar budget dot as she wouldn't shoot as much as I do, but I'd still want something that works for when I "borrow" it. It's not one of the crazy 5lb diet rifles, but my old 16" M4 was just a bit too heavy for her to hold up, so I'm thinking LW barrel and CMR should help it stay light out front, and we can mount a Surefire Scout 300 for the house.

I've got a 14.5" DD LW Barrel but haven't been sitting on it as long as you have, but my wife's rifle project has taken a backseat. My wife has been asking here and there, so I might have to move it to the front burner here pretty soon.

bzdog
23 June 2014, 21:15
Random thoughts.

Going short would help with weight. Going 300 BLK means good performance from short. I know it'll be a while, but we can SBR finally so maybe take advantage of that?

Something like an 8.2" Noveske barrel under a BCM 9" KMR paired to maybe an V7 upper on top of a Noveske Gen2 FFL would be pretty sweet. Of course it might be a bit of a trick finding an unused stripped Gen2 but I bet they are out there.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-m4-upper-assembly

Maybe a hybrid brake like a MAMS (OK, adds a bit of weight, but.. shrug).

You could even go the route I did and make custom G10 panels.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/ra9yvy9u.jpg

If pink is in order, you could do a two tone black and pink.

http://usaknifemaker.com/handle-material-hardware-c-95/micarta-tm-g10-phenolic-c-95-36/g10-pink-black-3-16.html

-john

Airborne_EWO
24 June 2014, 20:13
Aero Precision has an upper/lower set cerakoted pink on sale right now

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-receiver-set-with-cerakote-blemished.html

UWone77
25 June 2014, 17:59
Aero Precision has an upper/lower set cerakoted pink on sale right now

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-receiver-set-with-cerakote-blemished.html

Thanks for the link, I had her look at that, but she feels like that's too much pink. She wants to keep the furniture pink, but will probably go with a light colored cerakoted receivers, like Rainier's Concrete, Titanium, or Tungsten.

She's still trying out different handguards, so while she tries to decide on that, I think I'll just go have the gas block pinned to the DD barrel.

Slowly but surely.

Airborne_EWO
25 June 2014, 18:01
You're welcome, glad its coming together.

LanceCriminal
27 June 2014, 22:21
I've got a 14.5" DD LW Barrel but haven't been sitting on it as long as you have, but my wife's rifle project has taken a backseat. My wife has been asking here and there, so I might have to move it to the front burner here pretty soon.

I was thinking about throwing a can on it someday, but honestly I don't know if she'd appreciate the weight. I actually was thinking of just throwing a duckbill ur-M16 style FH on there, just to mix it up a little.

UWone77
28 June 2014, 22:15
I was thinking about throwing a can on it someday, but honestly I don't know if she'd appreciate the weight. I actually was thinking of just throwing a duckbill ur-M16 style FH on there, just to mix it up a little.

Definitely not going with a can for the wife. If she wants to shoot suppressed, other guns are available.

Based on my wife's weight and strength, this is definitely going towards the lightweight scale. Tentatively we are going to use the BCM 13" KMR rail with the 14.5 LW DD barrel.

I haven't decided on receivers, but forged will be the route.

LanceCriminal
3 July 2014, 20:28
Definitely not going with a can for the wife. If she wants to shoot suppressed, other guns are available.

Based on my wife's weight and strength, this is definitely going towards the lightweight scale. Tentatively we are going to use the BCM 13" KMR rail with the 14.5 LW DD barrel.

Basically my thoughts too. I want a Centurion CMR to try out, so why not on her rifle? The 11" seems to have some more material shaved out of it, I think that would be perfect for her!

Calengor
4 July 2014, 07:47

Why not the 13" KMR with BCM's ELW-F 14.5" barrel?

UWone77
5 July 2014, 09:03
Why not the 13" KMR with BCM's ELW-F 14.5" barrel?

That's obviously a great combination and in fact I was thinking about just scrapping the idea and going with a factory BCM 14.5 LW upper with the KMR already installed, but I already obtained the LW DD Barrel. It was one that Rainier wanted to test some cerakote on, so they sold it to me pretty cheap. Over the weekend I was going back and forth with ideas, and mocked up an upper with the 14.5" DD barrel and an 11" Centurion CMR Rail. I think we may have a winner here.

RiverRat
5 July 2014, 18:30
....mocked up an upper with the 14.5" DD barrel and an 11" Centurion CMR Rail. I think we may have a winner here.

UW -

Nice "spare" rail to be lying around. I don't think you can go wrong with a CMR, BCM's KMR or MI's SS/SSK/SSM rails - all of them have that small OD which allows someone with smaller hands to comfortably experiment with grips and stances and see what works at baseline.

When my older daughter was visiting last year, all it took was grabbing a slim-railed carbine and offering a quick "try this." We made a few adjustments to the stance after the photo was taken (and I've since swapped the MOE grip for a K2 to fix that chicken wing), but she never came close to running out of rail space. Based on seeing the kiddo experiment, I expect the 11" CMR will be perfect for your wife.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/14396683720_652263405f_b.jpg

UWone77
6 July 2014, 17:51
UW -

Nice "spare" rail to be lying around. I don't think you can go wrong with a CMR, BCM's KMR or MI's SS/SSK/SSM rails - all of them have that small OD which allows someone with smaller hands to comfortably experiment with grips and stances and see what works at baseline.

When my older daughter was visiting last year, all it took was grabbing a slim-railed carbine and offering a quick "try this." We made a few adjustments to the stance after the photo was taken (and I've since swapped the MOE grip for a K2 to fix that chicken wing), but she never came close to running out of rail space. Based on seeing the kiddo experiment, I expect the 11" CMR will be perfect for your wife.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/14396683720_652263405f_b.jpg

RR,

I'm curious, how tall is your daughter in the picture? Looks like she has plenty of space on handguards for her arms to stretch out.

I was just thinking about this a few nights ago when we were playing around with handguards and I thought, my very first Noveske has a 11" SWS rail and she found plenty of space in that one, but didn't like the quad rail.

I then remembered I had a 11" CMR so bam!

It's funny how just a few years ago when I used a 14" DD Lite rail, everyone thought it was just too long. Now everyone is gravitating towards 13.5-15" Rail systems. 9, 10, and 11" are relegated to step child status.

LanceCriminal
6 July 2014, 19:05
Funny you mention the rail fad. I remember flowing through all the fads, participated in some myself. Quad rails, piston guns, 6.8, modular rails, now keymod an mlok. Not to say any aren't without merits, just watching the forum flavors of the month.

Im hoping an 11" CMR with 16" pencil barrel will balance nicely. Wife doesnt have lots of upper arm strength so balance is important.

RiverRat
6 July 2014, 22:43
UW -

My daughter is about 5' 8" and yeah the rail is probably long enough for her to go fully extended. We did play around with a more extended left hand grip, elbow raised and less bent, wrist position modified - and there was still plenty of room on the 12" rail at that point.

I get what you're saying about rail lengths. I wonder how much of the longer-length mindset has come from decreasing the rail outside diameter. Its not just weight at that point, it's how your wrist and hand connect with the rail and how that relates to elbow position. I'm sure there are some fancy biomechanical reasons that some of these styles work comfortably for some rails, but are clumky with others.

UWone77
7 July 2014, 21:35
RR,

Your daughter looks like she knows how to handle herself and that weapon. Nicely done.

I mocked up a new CMT Tactical UPUR-2 with the DD 14.5" and a Centurion CMR 11" The Fortis RED is just a place holder until I figure out a muzzle device.

I think we may have a winner. I know I wanted to keep this lightweight, but she's really liking the CMT Receivers. I don't have a spare lower to match, so I'll have to buy one, but just for shits and giggles, I'm going to weigh a forged set vs this billet to see how much weight we are adding.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2048_zps68ad569c.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2048_zps68ad569c.jpg.html)

mustangfreek
8 July 2014, 01:01
Nice!!

I kinda chuckled when it said i didnt have a matching lower...lol...nothing...carry on..

UWone77
8 July 2014, 23:38
The CMT Upper weighs 8.5oz without the dust cover, compared with a Mega Arms Forged Upper without dust cover/forward assist weights in at 6.95oz.

Not sure I'm going with the Billet since the weights will compound with the lower. Picked up a BCM .625 gas block and a gas tube today (not pictured) but mocked up:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2048_zps68ad569c.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2048_zps68ad569c.jpg.html)

UWone77
10 July 2014, 09:46
I kind of hit a snafu today.

The gas block in not pinnable as I don't have a jig, and neither does Rainier for a .625 gas block. Since it's covered with the rail, I could just use the set screws, or go with a .750 barrel. Eh. I suppose this isn't going to be run hard so the set screws will likely work just fine. I guess I'm stuck in the mentality of all the guns I own "should" stand up to abuse.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2049_zps71e92563.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2049_zps71e92563.jpg.html)

mustangfreek
10 July 2014, 20:53
the screws will work just fine for the woman..hell most set screws, never come loose if installed correctly and a quick stake is applied..

looking good on the build though..

UWone77
8 August 2014, 09:58
Well, this project has been scrapped and going back to the proverbial drawing board. The CMR Rail did not work for her. However, she did look at my Rainier Arms NiB gun and liked that setup, so I may swap out the furniture to pink as she requested. She doesn't like the setup up as far the weight goes, so I'll have to see what I can do to cut the weight down.

Computalotapus
8 August 2014, 11:20
What is the desired weight you are shooting for in this build?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Calengor
9 August 2014, 08:20
Well, this project has been scrapped and going back to the proverbial drawing board. The CMR Rail did not work for her. However, she did look at my Rainier Arms NiB gun and liked that setup, so I may swap out the furniture to pink as she requested. She doesn't like the setup up as far the weight goes, so I'll have to see what I can do to cut the weight down.

Definitely think about BCM's 14.5" ELW-F with 10" or 13" KMR. The whole setup is light, but it feels even lighter due to the barrel taper which keeps the weight closer to the shooter.

What is the desired weight you are shooting for in this build?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Good question.

UWone77
9 August 2014, 08:28
Definitely think about BCM's 14.5" ELW-F with 10" or 13" KMR. The whole setup is light, but it feels even lighter due to the barrel taper which keeps the weight closer to the shooter.

I knew you were a BCM shill! I keeeed I keeeed [:D]

Right now I have a mock up going with some of the pink furniture. I may swap the handguard out with a KMR like you suggested.

I'm just happy we decided on a receiver set. Ditched the Billet idea because of the weight, and she started eyeballing my BAD Lowers, so I'm glad she was distracted by the NiB receiver. Even added the CMC Pink trigger.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/IMG_2200_zps66f90518.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/IMG_2200_zps66f90518.jpg.html)

Calengor
9 August 2014, 08:37
I knew you were a BCM shill! I keeeed I keeeed [:D]

Right now I have a mock up going with some of the pink furniture. I may swap the handguard out with a KMR like you suggested.

I'm just happy we decided on a receiver set. Ditched the Billet idea because of the weight, and she started eyeballing my BAD Lowers, so I'm glad she was distracted by the NiB receiver. Even added the CMC Pink trigger.

I'm not a huge pink fan, but that's looking nice with the failzero coated receiver.

Shit, if I'm a BCM shill I need to contact Paul Buffoni and inquire where they've been sending the checks, because I haven't been getting them :P

camomike
9 August 2014, 09:47
I'm glad my wife likes black, not sure I could handle that much pink next to my black and wood in the safe. I'd have to get her own fortress of solitude to keep it in. You sir, are a saint.

UWone77
9 August 2014, 11:02
I'm glad my wife likes black, not sure I could handle that much pink next to my black and wood in the safe. I'd have to get her own fortress of solitude to keep it in. You sir, are a saint.

With as many as I have in the safe, this thing sticks out like a sore thumb. But hey whatever gets the wife into shooting.

Calengor - this is a botch job some local guy did, not Fail Zero, which is why it looks more white than NiB.

KevinBLC
10 August 2014, 12:24
That thing looks white and pink. I wonder if you're able to swap out some of the other small parts with pink. I wouldn't want to pay to cerakote small parts, doesn't seem like it's worth the money. But whatever you wife wants I guess!!

IRacknBack
18 August 2014, 12:40
Wow man, That's an awesome Mag release on that rifle. I wish I knew where to get one of those...... At least it's not still sitting on your mantle or WTF you said it was.

Oh, hahaha.....Thanks for the sig line!?!? [bash]

Txfilmmaker
13 September 2014, 11:26
How do and she like the lightweight BCM barrel? I am thinking of going with the 14.5 ELW barrel or a 16" LW Daniel Defense barrel. Thanks

DutyUse
13 September 2014, 12:34
How do and she like the lightweight BCM barrel? I am thinking of going with the 14.5 ELW barrel or a 16" LW Daniel Defense barrel. Thanks

My wife has shot many types and styles of AR since we have been together, when she shot the LW BCM 14.5 middy for the first time that was it…my newest build instantly became hers

VIPER 237
13 September 2014, 12:44
My wife has shot many types and styles of AR since we have been together, when she shot the LW BCM 14.5 middy for the first time that was it…my newest build instantly became hers

Yeah my wife has taken over my new 16" ELW with 13" KMR build... but with a Leupold 1.25-4x it's under 7lbs so I can't blame her.

GaSwamper
14 September 2014, 08:57
Mine took over my 6.8 build right away, which is a good thing since it actually got her shooting with me. What she doesn't know is behind the scenes I've been collecting up some spare parts to build her one! Small stuff right now, bolt carrier, block and tube, grip, etc.. Maybe I can scoop up something out of the giveaway for her, unless its one of the knives, I cant put sharp things in her hand!

Txfilmmaker
17 September 2014, 11:51

Thanks for responding. :)

UWone77
22 September 2014, 08:29
Anodized Pink 80% Lower from 80% Arms. I had a fleeting thought about doing my own, since it was already anodized pink. But, I think I'll leave machining to the professionals. Not a super good picture, but I didn't feel like changing the lighting setup. [:D]

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2350_zps48a8ebd6.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2350_zps48a8ebd6.jpg.html)

harm
22 September 2014, 10:44
Following this thread as my wife asked for her own AR last week.

UWone77
14 October 2014, 16:46
Settled on the rifle.

Pink Parallax Tactical FFSSR KeyMod Rails. NiB Coated Rainier Receivers. As long as the rifle isn't black and "scary" my wife is more likely to use it. Plus she really liked the feel of the FFSSR Hand guards.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2440_zps0ce87dca.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2440_zps0ce87dca.jpg.html)

mustangfreek
14 October 2014, 23:33
I seen a pink rail on parallax's facebook page not too long ago, and thought that looks like it would match the magpul pink well, and it look like it does...

Ride4frnt
14 October 2014, 23:46
Please do not let my girlfriend see this. I'll be building another one!

UWone77
17 October 2014, 19:51
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2459_zps4fa87ff2.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2459_zps4fa87ff2.jpg.html)

tact
17 October 2014, 20:10
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2459_zps4fa87ff2.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2459_zps4fa87ff2.jpg.html)

Showed it to my daughters......now they all want one ....gee thanks UWone77.....I can't very well tell them no.

camomike
17 October 2014, 20:34
This turned out great. Too bad Magpul hasn't jumped on the pink mags yet.

Strike1st
18 October 2014, 19:54
Too bad my wife hates pink! I'm trying to find a badass purple solution.

UWone77
18 October 2014, 19:58
Showed it to my daughters......now they all want one ....gee thanks UWone77.....I can't very well tell them no.

I see nothing wrong with that tact! Another gun/build is still another gun in the safe. Have fun with it. It took months of the wife checking out different parts to see what she is comfortable with. Right now, she thinks it's a tad on the heavy side, so this carbine will likely go on a diet.

Soisauss
18 October 2014, 21:22
I see nothing wrong with that tact! Another gun/build is still another gun in the safe. Have fun with it. It took months of the wife checking out different parts to see what she is comfortable with. Right now, she thinks it's a tad on the heavy side, so this carbine will likely go on a diet.

LOLOL http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ultimate-ruger-1022.jpg

or this..

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img87/3844/634845994541382885s1xds.jpg

mum said not enough cowbells and swag. :P

camomike
18 October 2014, 22:58
Too bad my wife hates pink! I'm trying to find a badass purple solution.

I rit dyed Magpul FDE furniture. With UW'S ok t post a pic to this thread I'll load an image. Rather simple process to do. I think my purple turned out ok.

UWone77
18 October 2014, 23:05
I rit dyed Magpul FDE furniture. With UW'S ok t post a pic to this thread I'll load an image. Rather simple process to do. I think my purple turned out ok.

Post away!

Aragorn
19 October 2014, 06:30

That's bright I squinted when I saw it!

CoxeyDiesel
19 October 2014, 11:06

This looks awesome. I think a pink pmag would look cool. I doubt you would want to cerakote the Aimpoint pink but maybe you could dye the rubber outer cover.

UWone77
19 October 2014, 15:11
This looks awesome. I think a pink pmag would look cool. I doubt you would want to cerakote the Aimpoint pink but maybe you could dye the rubber outer cover.

I've got a backorder on a cerakoted pink mag on DSG Arms. Unless anyone knows of pink magazine available in stock somewhere.

CoxeyDiesel
19 October 2014, 15:23
I've got a backorder on a cerakoted pink mag on DSG Arms. Unless anyone knows of pink magazine available in stock somewhere.

Found these. They may be a decent replacement while waiting for the pmags. https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000842

WHSmithIV
19 October 2014, 16:28
I'm a wee bit afraid to build one for my wife. She wants one in purple. I doubt I would ever want to take it to a range. I might do her an AR pistol though. Her right eye is having a problem so with a simple red dot on it she could use her left eye to sight it plus, it wouldn't be very heavy for her to hold with maybe a 20 round mag. Hmmm.... I think I just defined my next project after the 7.62x39 build without planning to....... OK WHO IS THE OP? I'm not sure I'm going to forgive you for doing this to me! ;) ... Guess I'll have to Duracoat the parts....

camomike
19 October 2014, 18:08
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/94/d9/ec/94d9eca9421f23d9794a80660506ea76.jpgIs the Purple I was talking about.
Recipe for purple was 20 cups near boiling water, 2 tsp Rit Purple, 1/4 tsp royal blue. Parts were heated in an oven for 5 minutes at 170. Soak time was around 1:30-2 minutes depending on part. Parts were taped off with electrical tape in this design, then redyed with RIT Black

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 11:50
That came out REALLY nice camomike. Where did you get the dyes from?

JoshAston
22 October 2014, 21:00
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/ea82ebecc3af6a4758218473ab62dfd1.jpg

iPotato pic, but:

UCWRG color fill pocket lower
Chopped UCWRG grip
LWRC ultra compact stock
V7 castle nut/end plate
ALG fire control group
BAD-ASS safety w/ short levers on both sides
RRA 9mm upper with gas tube hole
V7 port door/rod
Rainier Arms Raptor
SLR 7" Solo Ultra Lite keymod
VooDoo Innovations 7.5" pencil barrel
Kineti-tech muzzle brake and shield
MP5K grip modified to keymod
MI keymod panels
Primary Arms micro red dot
Seekins absolute co-witness mount
Magpul MBUS

camomike
22 October 2014, 21:16
That came out REALLY nice camomike. Where did you get the dyes from?

I got the RIT dye powder packs at Walmart.

Strike1st
24 October 2014, 19:56
I got the RIT dye powder packs at Walmart.

that's about the color purple I've been looking for. ..a.darker purple...thanks!

vivi00
2 December 2016, 18:36
Hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting a 2 year old thread but it seemed the most appropriate. So here's where the Recce 5 went I mentioned in the transfer time thread. Shoots great and the wife loves it, she even kept the pink to a minimum.

Lower specs:
BAD GEN 1 forged lower
BAD Ti pin set
V7 Bolt catch
V7 Mag catch
Geissele SSA
BAD Short throw selector
ERGO Grip
V7 Receiver extension, castle nut and end plate
H2 buffer
Blue Sprinco spring
MFT Minimalist stock

Upper specs:
BCM 11.5 in. ELW barrel
BCM Upper receiver
V7 Titanium gas block
BRT 0.060 Gas port insert
Griffin Armament minimalist Ti brake
LMT Enhanced carrier
Sionics NP3 bolt
BCM Ambi charging handle
MI Gen3 Lightweight Mlok handguard

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w441/gvicich/Mobile%20Uploads/CBADC867-3486-4DFE-94BD-737E14FDE5DF_zpsczix2sdu.jpg (http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/gvicich/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CBADC867-3486-4DFE-94BD-737E14FDE5DF_zpsczix2sdu.jpg.html)

fledge
2 December 2016, 18:48
A worthy resurrection. Nice collection of parts and color accent.

alamo5000
3 December 2016, 05:38
Hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting a 2 year old thread but it seemed the most appropriate. So here's where the Recce 5 went I mentioned in the transfer time thread. Shoots great and the wife loves it, she even kept the pink to a minimum.

Lower specs:
BAD GEN 1 forged lower
BAD Ti pin set
V7 Bolt catch
V7 Mag catch
Geissele SSA
BAD Short throw selector
ERGO Grip
V7 Receiver extension, castle nut and end plate
H2 buffer
Blue Sprinco spring
MFT Minimalist stock

Upper specs:
BCM 11.5 in. ELW barrel
BCM Upper receiver
V7 Titanium gas block
BRT 0.060 Gas port insert
Griffin Armament minimalist Ti brake
LMT Enhanced carrier
Sionics NP3 bolt
BCM Ambi charging handle
MI Gen3 Lightweight Mlok handguard

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w441/gvicich/Mobile%20Uploads/CBADC867-3486-4DFE-94BD-737E14FDE5DF_zpsczix2sdu.jpg (http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/gvicich/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CBADC867-3486-4DFE-94BD-737E14FDE5DF_zpsczix2sdu.jpg.html)

That looks like you done good. And the fact that your wife goes shooting with you is way big bonus points. [:D]

Tyrannosaur
3 December 2016, 07:31
I've built so many rifles for my wife... someday I'll let her know I did

KW900A
3 December 2016, 08:04

HAHAHAHA I'll remember that line!

vivi00
3 December 2016, 08:39
I'll have to remember that one too, "I swear honey, I built it for you...".

din
3 December 2016, 21:56

That is sig line material right there.

ZhouJett
9 September 2018, 22:37
Told my wife i built her an AK... she fell for it..!!! ;)

Former11B
10 September 2018, 04:53

I pull “hers” out of the Safe occasionally to shoot and she rolls her eyes and says “You didn’t ask if you could use my rifle”.

[BD]

I think she’s on to me

ChattanoogaPhil
10 September 2018, 12:15
Most of the shooting the wife and I do together is recreational suppressed rimfire. We've got two rimfire cans, M&P 15-22 and CMMG rifles, and Ruger pistols. It wasn't until I put a Lantac brake on my AR did the wife say she'd like her own. She said she didn't like the weight and large quad rail on my rifle. With that in mind... a light weight rifle with slim handguard were priorities.

Palmetto upper. Midlength stainless pencil barrel and slim light weight 13.5in handguard. I already had a BCG but the wife wanted a 'shiny' one to match the stainless barrel... yeah I know... so I chose a Palmetto premium NiB. I was thinking about just using the CMMG lower for it but decided to get a complete Palmetto blem lower. LaRue MBT. You guys here at WEVO had earlier posted about a deal at Cabela's on a Trijicon RMR01 including AR riser so I already had that in the AR parts box waiting for a host. The one mistake I made was assuming the wife would want a stainless brake so I purchased Epsilon VG6. Oh no... the wife wouldn't have it -- Why didn't I get a Lantac like you have!?! Women... sigh... AR parts box + 1 VG6. Complete rifle 6lbs on the button with Lantac brake.

She's been using it at the club's plinking range bouncing around soda cans and shooting steel at 50-100yds. So far she's gone through maybe 500rds of M193. The Lantac brake keeps the rifle remarkably calm in her hands. The RMR is always on with nothing to fiddle with. The rifle has operated flawlessly with an ejection pattern 3-3:30. For a low volume recreational shooter it turned out quite well. Wife likes her rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/IaU3iBC.jpg

Joelski
11 September 2018, 03:32
Nicely done. It can be hard to please the OIC, but compliance has its benefits. [:)]

ChattanoogaPhil
11 September 2018, 14:47
Thanks.

The things I do to keep the little missus happy. No one said it would be easy...