PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms/Seekins Precision 18" build

Ride4frnt
11 May 2014, 21:17
Just wanted to share with you guys my latest project. Have gone the shorter route a few times with 14.5 and 16 inch guns, this time I wanted something a bit different. Being on here and seeing all of your sweet builds has inspired me to get the SLR out and snap some pics to share with you. (I'm no Stick, but you get the point. Maybe some of you guys can give me pointers, I swore I saw a "how to" photography thread on here.

And, thanks to all the sponsors from the 50k giveaway, and UWone77, this thing will be getting a major facelift in the form of a billet upper to go on the billet lower.

Build is as follows:

Seekins Precision billet lower
Aero upper (to be replaced)
15" Rainier Arms Force keymod rail
18" Black Hole Weaponry polygonal 5r barrel, rifle length
Rainier Arms RAC comp
Rainier Arms BCG
Geissele SSA-E trigger
A2 stock (to be replaced by Luth-AR)
Nikon P-223 3-9x scope in Nikon mounts (stolen off my dads rifle for photo purposes)

I still need a Rainier Raptor and to pick out an optic to grace the top of this thing. Looking for mid range work, nothing shorter than 100yds, possibly out to 600, but that would be a rare occasion. Most likely going with an American Defense mount, but sure on glass though. Im open to all possibilities, but I don't have Nightforce money.

So along with any photo tips you may have, list down what you would do about optics.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/IMG_2099_zps20a1c04e.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/7EFA9F2C-C95D-4599-884F-6D4F1CB50688_zpsakki0fxf.jpg

Soisauss
11 May 2014, 22:52
What's wrong with going the Nikon? I think the P223 scope is perfect for both "semi" cqb and midrange ballistics. That is what I currently have on my 20" A4 for 600 yards shots, soon to be transplanted to my pseudo Mk12 ar.

Random question, how well does a polygonal rifling perform on a rifle?

Ride4frnt
11 May 2014, 22:58
What's wrong with going the Nikon? I think the P223 scope is perfect for both "semi" cqb and midrange ballistics. That is what I currently have on my 20" A4 for 600 yards shots, soon to be transplanted to my pseudo Mk12 ar.

Random question, how well does a polygonal rifling perform on a rifle?

Nothing wrong with the nikon at all, except this isn't mine. It was robbed from my dads gun for photo purposes. I have never used it.

Never shot a polygonal rifle barrel either, but from what I've read they shoot pretty well.

mustangfreek
12 May 2014, 00:39
Nice looking build..like the look of that rail the more i see it.

Side note... i use a nikon p223 3x9 on my 18" gun sitiing in a adm mount and out too 300 yards (furthest i have had the chance to shoot this one) It shoots quarter sized groups and easily rings the 6" gong, even with a crappy mil spec trigger..something id like to upgrade one day, but the p223 has treated me we'll. Tracked well, box test worked good, and has nice turrets for the price....Sure id like better, but feel only if i was shooting past 600 yards would i need a little bigger optic on mine..

Soisauss
12 May 2014, 07:16
Nothing wrong with the nikon at all, except this isn't mine. It was robbed from my dads gun for photo purposes. I have never used it.

Never shot a polygonal rifle barrel either, but from what I've read they shoot pretty well.

Five finger discount from him lol lol loo loo lol lol

Shooting anything past 600 yards is where my future .308 will do and my current 700 in .30-06, that's also not saying the .308 won't be used for anything closer either :-) :-) :-)

UWone77
12 May 2014, 08:52
You need a black RAC my friend.

Ride4frnt
12 May 2014, 08:54
You need a black RAC my friend.

I surely do. I ordered this on a whim from revolvr when Rainier first released them, didn't see that it said stainless. I'll get a black one eventually.

UWone77
13 May 2014, 08:09
I should be able to let you know later today what kind of billet upper we can swap it for.

Ride4frnt
13 May 2014, 09:56
I should be able to let you know later today what kind of billet upper we can swap it for.

That's cool. No rush. Still need to find a permanent optic for this one anyways. So many choices.

UWone77
14 May 2014, 09:05
That's cool. No rush. Still need to find a permanent optic for this one anyways. So many choices.

Maybe it's just me, or is there a forward assist missing in that upper? Not installed yet? I suppose it doesn't matter since that upper of yours is getting a minor face lift later this week. Let us know how that all works out for you. What are you going to do with the other now spare forged upper?

Ride4frnt
14 May 2014, 09:36
Not installed yet. Everything on there is hand tight. I have everything for it.

As far as the spare forged upper, I'm lost. May post a "help me with my next upper build" thread. I've toyed with the idea of 6.8spc or 6.5 Grendel. Also throwing around the idea of another 5.56 upper in an unknown configuration. Shorter than 14.5 is out of the question unless I use a longer pinned comp because all my lowers are rifles therefore cannot be made to pistols.

Thought about doing a 6.5 or 6.8 exactly like the upper in this thread, but I don't know if I want another alternative caliber.

Basically whatever upper I build with it has to complement the lower in this thread, or one of these two.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/42716E78-9A87-4E88-B0D4-7B4F6DE8F806_zpsezymbn2v.jpg

Ride4frnt
14 May 2014, 18:02
What I really need do decide on is a permanent optic for this rifle. I thought about a 3-9x nikon like in the pics. I've thought about the viper PST but I don't need 4-16x or 6-24x, and I'm not sure if 1-4x will cut if for me. Thought about the new 1-6x primary arms scope as well. Of course there's always the leupold option.

What's everyone's take on this? Want something to shoot groups with at shorter distance, and shoot steel with out to may 600yds. The majority of the time I'll spend with this rifle will be <300yds

RiverRat
14 May 2014, 23:37
I had a lot of quasi-philosophical rumination in the draft - I decided it didn't really answer your question, so I deleted it to save ones and zeroes.

I suspect you're best served planning around that 300 yard range with a modestly priced 3-9x40 scope. Since that is a very competitive market segment, manufacturers tend to give you a lot of value at the $200-$350 price point. If you decide later you need/want more power, that scope is really easy to re-pupose. I suggest something not-illuminated (unless you're shooting in low light)and not-mildot.

Most of the scopes I'll mention are mounted on bolt action rifles and are decidedly not-tactical. My experience doesn't reflect the differing recoil and counter-recoil of an AR15 - but I don;t expect any huge failure rate from any of these scopes in normal civilian use.

I have Vortex Viper 3-9x40, Diamondback 4-12x40 and Crossfire II 2-7x32 rimfire. All are well made with good clarity, resonable brightness and mimimal distortion - especially given their prices ranging from $120 to $240. Yes, the Viper is brighter than the others, but they are all pretty darned good. This is my go-to manufacturer for "everyday scopes" and I have complete confidence in their warranty and service. My biggest complaint is that they tend to have a narrow range for eye relief. The Diamondback is the worst of the three in this regard because the narrow relief range occurs at a short distance. I recommend the Viper, even at the $300 normal price - with the caveat around eye rellief.

My Sightron SI 3-9x40 makes me wonder why no one else seems to buy this brand. Good optics, great brightness and clarity for the price. The SI line is no longer available, but I expect the SIH and SII lines to remain solid options. As an aside, I wish I could justify the price tag on their 1-7x24 scope, but $1K is too much for me to take a leap of faith.

I have a discontinued Nikon Monarch 1-4x24 on a 16" AR and have spent a little time with the less expensive P-223 and M-223 scopes. I greatly prefer the clarity of the Monarch glass - yes, I sacrificed the nifty exposed turrets for better glass and a German #4 reticle - and I would do it again. I suspect the Monarch 3 line continues the trend and I also expect the trend continues at the 3-9x40 product line. This isn't to say the P/M-233 scopes aren't nice - I just had a good line on the Monarch and really wanted that specfic reticle.

Hope the perspective helps a little and let me know if you want anything else.

Ride4frnt
15 May 2014, 11:54
I like the nikon scopes. I like their bdc reticles compared to other manufacturers. I know a 3-9 will suffice for what I need to do. I'm thinking maybe I will go with a nikon for this rifle and put a little better glass on my bolt gun.

Like you said, I'm kind of on the fence about the illuminated reticles because this rifle obviously won't be used for cqb purposes, illumination would just be a fancier option.

Ride4frnt
18 May 2014, 19:20
With any luck, this baby is getting a facelift tomorrow then I'll have to show everyone more photos.

Stickman
20 May 2014, 22:25
Looks like a fantastic upper!

Ride4frnt
20 May 2014, 22:45
Looks like a fantastic upper!

Thanks! I took my time with this one. Really waited to buy parts to make sure that's what I really wanted, ex. waiting for the 15" force over the 15" MCSRv2. Thanks to the fine folks here, yourself included, the upper got a makeover in the form of a CMT billet receiver. Can't wait to get out and shoot this one.

Also, no clue why my second photo of the whole rifle wouldn't show. I re uploaded to photobucket. Hope it works this time.

Stickman
20 May 2014, 22:56
Thanks! I took my time with this one. Really waited to buy parts to make sure that's what I really wanted, ex. waiting for the 15" force over the 15" MCSRv2. Thanks to the fine folks here, yourself included, the upper got a makeover in the form of a CMT billet receiver. Can't wait to get out and shoot this one.

Also, no clue why my second photo of the whole rifle wouldn't show. I re uploaded to photobucket. Hope it works this time.

Congrats,

The CMT Tactical is probably one of my favorite uppers and lowers for that matter. The owner is also a great guy. Interested to hear your impressions when you put it completely together.

Ride4frnt
10 October 2014, 14:11
Well, update on this thread. The gun is fully assembled now, need to take picks. The CMT upper is badass as previously mentioned. The whole gun is stupid light for its size. And I finally bought optics for it. Waited it out because I wanted to try the Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS. Scope was released yesterday and is expected to sell out today. For $269 it's not an investment that will kill me if I absolutely hate it, and if I decide on higher power for this rifle, I may up this to the PA 4-14 FFP ACSS when it comes out and repurpose the 1-6x to my 14.5" gun.

Anyone got any ADM (or similar) 30mm mounts they no longer have the need for?

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 20:30
Scope will be here Monday or Tuesday. Review and pics will follow.

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 13:26
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2492_zpsd0481a9b.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2490_zpsc7d47798.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2482_zps4beb0a4d.jpg