PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Tail Cleaning

GOST
24 May 2014, 05:36
Here's something you might want to try. I've been using automotive mag polish to clean the bolt tail. I scrape the bulk off then put a little on a rag and rubb the rest off. It's been giving me very good results.

FortTom
25 May 2014, 14:39
GOST, I haven't scrubbed a bolt tail since the proliferation of NiB BCG's. Scrubbing those consist of taking a piece of T-Shirt, spraying parts with Gun Scrubber or like product and wiping off residue. "Stubborn" deposits require serious action. I usually hit them with another shot of Gun Scrubber and then a heavy application of my thumbnail to pop flake off.

Seriously, after cleaning everything from CAR's to M16's for years in the military, especially when you've been out in the heat all day, and that's the last thing you feel like doing, I see no reason to have to do it these days. All of my AR's use NiB bolts, and will until something even better comes along.[:D]

FT[:)]

GOST
26 May 2014, 07:16
I'm running NiB also on some, but still have to do some scraping on the ones that sit for awhile between cleanings.

Slippers
26 May 2014, 08:35
I guess I'm lazy. I never scrape bolt tails, as the buildup is self limiting.

tappedandtagged
26 May 2014, 12:21
I scrape them, but I don't worry about scraping it clean. I just get the main build up off and put it back together.

Computalotapus
26 May 2014, 12:36
I break mine down after every range session. Even if I only put 30 rounds through it. Break it down soak parts and scrub them clean. Apply lube and reassemble for the next day out.

GOST
27 May 2014, 01:28
I'm about the same way, but every now and then I will have a piece that sits for awhile before it gets cleaned.

MoxyDave
27 May 2014, 09:54
Man, you guys are anal. I clean my ARs after 1K rounds or so. Even then I only spend about 10 minutes ... bore snake, a toothbrush, and some compressed air. That's it.

UWone77
27 May 2014, 09:56
Man, you guys are anal. I clean my ARs after 1K rounds or so. Even then I only spend about 10 minutes ... bore snake, a toothbrush, and some compressed air. That's it.

My cleaning schedule is like yours Dave. AR's just like to be run wet, I find they can take a lot of dirt. Then again, I wasn't subjected to a white glove drill Sgt inspection in my life... so I can see where some guys would be more meticulous.

I've got 3 carbines in the office right now, probably at least 3k rounds through each, haven't cleaned any of them, except for a wipe down with a rag.

Computalotapus
27 May 2014, 10:21
My cleaning schedule is like yours Dave. AR's just like to be run wet, I find they can take a lot of dirt. Then again, I wasn't subjected to a white glove drill Sgt inspection in my life... so I can see where some guys would be more meticulous.

I've got 3 carbines in the office right now, probably at least 3k rounds through each, haven't cleaned any of them, except for a wipe down with a rag.

Ugh I couldn't do that. It would drive me crazy knowing they are dirty. Granted with new stuff like fire lean and froglube on the market cleaning is easier. Call me old fashion if you want but I still use Break-Free CLP for cleaning and lubricating.

GOST
27 May 2014, 11:00
You guys are nasty, you guys remind me of my friends that like to mess with the dirty girl as long as no one finds out. But guess what, everyone finds out when you got to go to the walk-in clinic, I kidd. [:D] When I was a kid Dad expected you to have your bed made and teeth brushed right after you woke up, and if he found your rifle laying around dirty he'd come unglued. And the product of this is an extremely anal cleaner. I use picks, Q-tips, coffee filters(cause they leave no lint behind), compressed air, brushes, different kits and usually Slip 2000 EWL. I can't even stand to leave the Glocks laying around dirty.

Pyzik
27 May 2014, 11:01
I was reading this as "boat tail" and thought at first you were talking about cleaning a boat tail projectile for reloading or something and was utterly confused.

Brain fart.

Mine is NiB'd too but needs some love currently. No better time then now as I think of it since the rifle is in pieces.
Thanks for the advice.

GOST
27 May 2014, 11:02
Pyzik don't be nasty like some of the others.[:D]

MoxyDave
27 May 2014, 11:10
I only feel uncomfortable with a dirty gun if it's a go-to weapon and it's dirty enough to be concerned about malfunctions. For example, my carry gun(s) are cleaned after each range trip, regardless of round count. But even then I only spend about 10 minutes cleaning. Once I discovered the bore snake, my cleaning times were cut way down. Many times I use the snake for a rag as well. Super easy!

FortTom
27 May 2014, 13:49
My cleaning schedule is like yours Dave... I've got 3 carbines in the office right now, probably at least 3k rounds through each, haven't cleaned any of them, except for a wipe down with a rag.

UNFREAKIN REAL.... Go home and spank yourself.....Do it!! Now!!, then clean those weapons.

Why do we do this? Everyone, all together now.... Because we don't know when the next chance to clean them will come. Seriously MD and UW, you ought to take turns flogging the heck out of each other....:mad:

FT[:D]

UWone77
27 May 2014, 14:12
I've run thousands and thousands of rounds without issue other than lube. In fact, a few years ago, I ran a test and posted on WEVO a home built gun with 5k+ Rounds though an AR15 platform and it didn't choke. I think it had 10 malfunctions, 8 of them ammo related. I might have to find that thread. Afterwards, a buddy of mine who ended up with the upper took several days to clean it.

I guess what I'm saying is, in my opinion, the cleaning aspect is been a little overrated. The gun wants lube more than anything. Obviously, these experiences are mine and you guys are free to clean as often as you wish. [:D]

GOST
27 May 2014, 15:38
You dirty man.

tappedandtagged
27 May 2014, 16:50
I've run thousands and thousands of rounds without issue other than lube. In fact, a few years ago, I ran a test and posted on WEVO a home built gun with 5k+ Rounds though an AR15 platform and it didn't choke. I think it had 10 malfunctions, 8 of them ammo related. I might have to find that thread. Afterwards, a buddy of mine who ended up with the upper took several days to clean it.

I guess what I'm saying is, in my opinion, the cleaning aspect is been a little overrated. The gun wants lube more than anything. Obviously, these experiences are mine and you guys are free to clean as often as you wish. [:D]
Find it please. I'd like that read.

I clean mine every few range/hunting trips. No set schedule. I just do it when I feel like piddling.

Now my duty weapon, I clean it after each use for inspection purposes. The bolt carriers gets sprayed down with break free and wiped off. The bolt gets dipped in Hoppes and wiped off with minor scraping on the tail. The firing pin gets wiped along with the the inside of the reciever. Q-tips in the barrel extention. Hoppes and a bore snake down the tube. Rand CLP all the parts up and back in the trunk it goes.

My personal guns are cleaned in the same way except I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner instead of the department supplied break clean. I supply the Rand CLP on both as the dept. wants us to use (and issues) Rem Oil! That watery crap is useless.

UWone77
27 May 2014, 18:57
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?4012-Rainier-Arms-Hammer-Forged-Barrel&highlight=torture

FortTom
27 May 2014, 20:28
UW,
I'm not trying to bust your balls, and what you do with your guns is your business, I get that, really. But in case of an unseen national emergency, and you had to run w/family, do you want to grab a dirty gun with 1K rounds through it? I know it's old, and I said it earlier, the reason to clean your weapon is that you don't know when the next time you'll get to will come. Drummed into my head in MIL with a hammer, but it's true.[:)]

FT

UWone77
27 May 2014, 21:01
UW,
I'm not trying to bust your balls, and what you do with your guns is your business, I get that, really. But in case of an unseen national emergency, and you had to run w/family, do you want to grab a dirty gun with 1K rounds through it? I know it's old, and I said it earlier, the reason to clean your weapon is that you don't know when the next time you'll get to will come. Drummed into my head in MIL with a hammer, but it's true.[:)]

FT

I see where you're coming from.... Of course a clean, properly lubed gun is the way to go if you had to grab and go. BUT...

Based on my own experiences, yes I'll grab one of my own carbines with 1k rounds though it that isn't spic and span. I know my go to guns are properly lubed, which I can say right now everyone else's 1 or 2 AR's they own, probably aren't. I believe a properly lubed gun is far more important than a clean one. In a national emergency, my plan is also not to get into some sustained firefight, and my 13 years as a LEO tells me people preparing for some kind of crazy firefights on the streets across America in a SHTF situation are living in fantasy land. As long as my gun functions in a self defense situation I'm fine with that. I've shot my go-to guns long enough to know how they operate without being white glove clean.

Don't get me wrong, I do clean my guns and I do think cleaning is important. I just don't lose any sleep or confidence in my weapon if it's not cleaned until the next range session.

FortTom
27 May 2014, 21:25
I have the same philosophy as you, when it comes to sustained fire fights in a world in chaos. A shot or two at someone meaning to do you harm is realistic. I just like mine sparkly clean and properly lubed, although these days I don't use much lube, as all mine are NiB.

I have proven all my rifles, with zero failures (knock on wood) and fully expect them to go bang when I pull the trigger. But as I said, when I walk out that door, I don't know when I will get to clean one again. So, they go out clean. And for some reason, maybe anal, I can't sleep at night with a dirty gun in the house. Go figure.[:D]

UWone77
27 May 2014, 22:10
FT,

When we move closer to your part of the county, feel free to come on over and clean my weapons [:D]

DMViergever
28 May 2014, 03:49
I hate cleaning mine enough that I may send them to him.

GOST
28 May 2014, 04:25
Didn't your Moms tell you that cleanliness is next to godliness?

FortTom
28 May 2014, 09:18
FT,

When we move closer to your part of the county, feel free to come on over and clean my weapons [:D]

I hate cleaning mine enough that I may send them to him.

Yeah, bring 'em over. I'll take them down and run them through the carwash. Would you like wax with that?[:D]

FT[BD]