PDA

View Full Version : Which railed FF handguard?

Trace Rinaldi
14 September 2008, 02:00
Im stumped.. I thought I had decided to go with the YHM lightweight quadrail handguard. I've seen them on alot of rifles, they look good, and the price is really nice.. The more I hear people advise against YHM stuff, it has me wondering though.[noob];)

I would rather not spend $300 or more, but if I do what makes the more expensive ones better? And which ones are the best bang for the buck, so to speak?

I need a 12" tube, and will have a 22" bull barrell that's 1" in diameter hangin out of it..

What do you guys think? Pics and ballpark prices would be a great help..

Thanks!

Paulo_Santos
14 September 2008, 09:32
The Troy/MI/Samson Style rails would be great, but you may have a problem installing a barrel nut since the barrel is so thick. If a barrel nut fits over that Bull Barrel, I'd go with one of the 12" Troy/MI/Samson.

If that doesn't work, JP Rifles makes good handguards. Daniel Defense makes great rails, but they are $350.

Stickman
14 September 2008, 14:20
Trace,

Do you need a rail, or can you use one of the tubes? PRI and Viking Tactics are two companies that might be worth your time to take a look at.

Here is a Viking Tactics tube, I don't have any PRI variants to take pictures of.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Noveske/IMG_1763%201028%20Stick.jpg

Trace Rinaldi
14 September 2008, 14:36
Hey Stick, I had pretty much settled on wanting a railed handguard. Makes it EZ to hang bipods, lights, BUS's etc. on them it seems.

I have a regular Hogue tube that would work fine, but I dont want to be drilling and tapping to mount things to it.

Stickman
14 September 2008, 15:17
Sounds good, I like the rails myself, but the above mentioned ones come pre-taped and you can drop railed pieces where you want them. They certainly aren't as popular as the railed versions, but I think they give a little more space inside for the fatter gas blocks.

Trace Rinaldi
14 September 2008, 18:29
I think the gas block sits out front a bit of a 12" tube from what I remember so clearance shouldnt be an issue..

The more I look at that tube you posted the better I'm liking it.. DAMN!!! Now Im even more cornfused..LOL.

OK, about the YHM.. Is it poorly made? I really like the looks of it. Is it just a POS?
How about the Troy Ind. rails like Paul mentioned? They seem pretty nice, and arent too expensive. Anyone have experience with either of them?

I dont want to be cheap on this project but DAMN these things become a money pit fast..HA!!

Stickman
14 September 2008, 18:39
Its worth taking a look at the Midwest Industries rails if you haven't done that yet. I work with a few officers who are using them on their duty carbines, and they are very happy with them.

Trace Rinaldi
14 September 2008, 19:04
Those are all 2 piece right? Does that matter? Im sorry for all the lame ass questions..

Stickman
14 September 2008, 19:47
Not a lame question at all, wait until I start asking you about angles for sharpening, and if I can use my Spyderco sharpener for everything.....

Yes, the MI is a 2 piece rail, and its a pretty simple installation. Take a look at the below link to for a guide on installation.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3

Trace Rinaldi
14 September 2008, 20:20
Hey! Yer pretty handy with a dremmel Stick. Once I get moved up to N. Idaho, you'll have to come over and try your hand at grinding a blade;-)

No problemo on the knife questions, and that goes for any of you guys if you need help with something sharp..

OK back to the rails.. I think I like the one piece idea.. What do you think of the Troy units? Are those 2 piece?

Stickman
14 September 2008, 20:34
Troy units are 2 piece rails.

Trace Rinaldi
16 September 2008, 12:25
I'm thinking the MI rail might be the ticket Stick... Thanks man.

car01038
3 May 2010, 15:03
I think the gas block sits out front a bit of a 12" tube from what I remember so clearance shouldnt be an issue..

The more I look at that tube you posted the better I'm liking it.. DAMN!!! Now Im even more cornfused..LOL.

OK, about the YHM.. Is it poorly made? I really like the looks of it. Is it just a POS?
How about the Troy Ind. rails like Paul mentioned? They seem pretty nice, and arent too expensive. Anyone have experience with either of them?

I dont want to be cheap on this project but DAMN these things become a money pit fast..HA!!

Trace... I have two YHM rails which I installed. Biggest thing is aligning the rails... if your not installing it then no worries. If you like the way it looks the quality (installed correctly) is just fine.