PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Announces the T2 Optic

UWone77
2 June 2014, 09:31
Thanks to our friends at Gear Scout (http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2014/06/02/aimpoint-to-launch-micro-t-2/?repeat=w3tc) for breaking the news.

Aimpoint (http://www.aimpoint.com/us/) has announced the T2 Optic. The T2 is an updated version of the much loved T1. Updates include a protective housing, front and rear protective covers (think iOCover), and protection for the sight adjustment turrents. Aimpoint also says the internal electronics will be more rugged, as well as a new front lens and new reflective coating.

No need to go out an buy new mounts as the T2 will work with all existing T1 compatible mounts. The T2 will continue to use a CR2032 battery with a 5 year life. No word on yet if it will be a 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot.

Aimpoint (http://www.aimpoint.com/us/) will continue to offer the T1 along with the T2. Personally, I'm hoping for PRO type pricing on the T1, while the T2 occupies the previous price point of the T1. You'll have some time to save up for this optic, as they are scheduled to be released in September. We'll update this post as more information and full specs are released. Checkout Aimpoint here (http://www.aimpoint.com/us/) to keep updated.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/Aimpoint-T-2_zps085d491b.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/Aimpoint-T-2_zps085d491b.jpg.html)

MoxyDave
2 June 2014, 11:07
Nice! Love my T1. They should have bought IO Cover and used that instead. I think it's a better solution than flip-up caps.

GOST
2 June 2014, 12:37
I'm about to go broke.

GOST
2 June 2014, 12:46
I'd probably take the caps off. Maybe this will cause a large amount of used T1s to hit the market at a decent price.

schambers
2 June 2014, 13:48
Definately looking forward to a T1 price drop. Hopefully I can get two for the price of one

mhmills
2 June 2014, 18:08
I hope I can get a used T1 for a good price.

Pyzik
2 June 2014, 18:34
Aimpoint (http://www.aimpoint.com/us/) will continue to offer the T1 along with the T2. Personally, I'm hoping for PRO type pricing on the T1, while the T2 occupies the previous price point of the T1....

I'd love to see that happen. I'd throw this PA micro on my AK and would throw a T1 on my BCM.

FortTom
2 June 2014, 19:13
I finally finished the Adam Arms "Voodoo" Ultra Lite upper today, and besides breakdown for cerakote and hydro dip, all it needs is an Aimpoint T1 or H1. My friend pulled one off of his, and the weight of the rifle is unreal light. I was going to order a T1 or H1, but it looks like we might have some price drops coming up? Man, I hope so, wouldn't mind seeing the T! and T2 cause a price drop in the H1.

Hope this all comes fast....

FT

Naytwan
2 June 2014, 19:31
Looks like I'll be waiting on that T-1 purchase. Hopefully I can snag a used one cheaper or like previously said we get pro pricing.

tappedandtagged
2 June 2014, 19:33
I'm about to go broke.

Too late. I'm there.

GOST
2 June 2014, 19:37
What's wrong with Aimpoint? Don't they know I had to buy a new car? These insensitive SOB's.;)

Liberal_Strong
2 June 2014, 20:00
"Personally, I'm hoping for PRO type pricing on the T1, while the T2 occupies the previous price point of the T1"

THIS! YES, THIS!

browcs
3 June 2014, 08:10
Oooooo

UWone77
4 June 2014, 20:36
I think it's pretty obvious based on every discussion thread I've read online so far about the T2 optic is that everyone is excited more about the possibility of a T1 price drop. That and the excited people hoping for blow out deals on used T1's.

I hope Aimpoint is paying attention and is able to offer PRO like pricing on T1's. Obviously dropping the price to PRO levels would kill the market on PRO's, but I could see a senario where they have a $500 MSRP and a $450 ish street price. I don't think Aimpoint will cease T1 production as they keep cranking out M3's and ML3's despite PRO's dominating the market with the same/or better features in the case of the ML3.

Should be an interesting fall when these are released!

FortTom
4 June 2014, 20:47
I don't really think they (T2's) will kill the P.R.O., UW. I know a lot of people who prefer the larger optics and lenses over the T1 or H1. Some not only consider the lens's and "view" are too small, unless mounted close to the upper, I've met several that think the diminutive size make them less "battle tough" than the P.R.O. I disagree with that, but I do like my P.R.O.'s and ML3. I've borrowed my buddies T1 a time or two, and just found it to be a good fit. And now that the "Voodoo" Ultra Lite gun is pretty much finished, I want to top it with an ultra lite red dot.

So, I don't think the PRO's will be killed off, and I wish they'd hurry up and get this thing going so I can see that hopeful major drop in price on the T1's or H1's. Wishful thinking I guess.

FT

GOST
5 June 2014, 01:41
The H1 is my favorite RDS. Would love to be able to get another around $450.

UWone77
5 June 2014, 06:53
I don't really think they (T2's) will kill the P.R.O., UW. I know a lot of people who prefer the larger optics and lenses over the T1 or H1. Some not only consider the lens's and "view" are too small, unless mounted close to the upper, I've met several that think the diminutive size make them less "battle tough" than the P.R.O. I disagree with that, but I do like my P.R.O.'s and ML3. I've borrowed my buddies T1 a time or two, and just found it to be a good fit. And now that the "Voodoo" Ultra Lite gun is pretty much finished, I want to top it with an ultra lite red dot.

So, I don't think the PRO's will be killed off, and I wish they'd hurry up and get this thing going so I can see that hopeful major drop in price on the T1's or H1's. Wishful thinking I guess.

FT

FT,

I think you may have misread my post, or I did a crap job of relaying my thoughts on it. I don't think the T1 or T2 will kill off the PRO. Like you said a lot of guys including myself enjoy the bigger field of view offered by full sized Aimpoints. What I was saying is, I don't think that if there is a price drop (and no one at Aimpoint has said there would be) on the T1, I don't think it would fall to the level of the PRO as it would compete with it. Then again, I don't pretend to understand Aimpoints pricing scheme as the PRO is much less than the M3 and ML3, but they continue to offer the latter.

In the end I'd like to see the MSRP of the T1 drop to $500, so we can see a street price of $450ish, and then shooters will have an option of the "entry level" Aimpoint at $360-$400 in the PRO and the micro Aimpoint at $450-$500. The newest models like the T2 and M4 can stay at $700 MSRP.

This is all wishful thinking on my end of course.

GOST
5 June 2014, 07:05
UW you need to rub that magic genie lamp of yours that gets you all the gear and make it happen.

Liberal_Strong
5 June 2014, 11:31
The H1 is my favorite RDS. Would love to be able to get another around $450.

totally forgot about the h1 and that one is already cheaper than the t1 right? i hope the t2 drops both price then i'd love to get either. now..what to do with my PA t1 clone..

Hmac
5 June 2014, 12:33
In the end I'd like to see the MSRP of the T1 drop to $500, so we can see a street price of $450ish, and then shooters will have an option of the "entry level" Aimpoint at $360-$400 in the PRO and the micro Aimpoint at $450-$500. The newest models like the T2 and M4 can stay at $700 MSRP.

This is all wishful thinking on my end of course.

I'm not a huge fan of the T1, and especially if you compare the pricing. I do like my PRO. I have my T-1 mounted on a rifle I rarely use. It's OK, just not my preference and way down my list on meeting my needs in the price/performance arena. There are some who really feel that that $700 price point is worthwhile for what they get, I'm just not one of them.

FortTom
5 June 2014, 13:08
Hmac, I can see you might have reasons to not be a huge fan of the T1. That being said, compairing the T1 and H1 to the P.R.0, IMO, is comparing apples and oranges. Therefore a price/performance analogy just doesn't make sense. I have P.R.O.'s and an ML3, and there are major differences in folks intended use for them vs. the T1/H1.

I don't care for the $700 price point of the T1 either, but will be buying one for a newly completed lightweight rifle. The PRO offers a much wider range of vision with it's larger lenses, and is battle tank tough. Placing a T1 about 1/3 or more down the length of your rifle offers a narrower "view" with it's smaller lens. Like looking at a nickel vs. looking at a silver dollar.

It's like saying I prefer a truck to a Prius, because of the price point. They both get you down the road, but in much different ways.

Just sayin [:)]

Hmac
5 June 2014, 16:14
Hmac, I can see you might have reasons to not be a huge fan of the T1. That being said, compairing the T1 and H1 to the P.R.0, IMO, is comparing apples and oranges. Therefore a price/performance analogy just doesn't make sense. I have P.R.O.'s and an ML3, and there are major differences in folks intended use for them vs. the T1/H1.

I don't care for the $700 price point of the T1 either, but will be buying one for a newly completed lightweight rifle. The PRO offers a much wider range of vision with it's larger lenses, and is battle tank tough. Placing a T1 about 1/3 or more down the length of your rifle offers a narrower "view" with it's smaller lens. Like looking at a nickel vs. looking at a silver dollar.

It's like saying I prefer a truck to a Prius, because of the price point. They both get you down the road, but in much different ways.

Just sayin [:)]

I have absolutely zero desire to drive a Prius, in fact desire NOT to drive a Prius (nor own another T1 and probably not a T2), especially at the price. Was my point.

Some people, many people, will pay extra for the size and weight and be happy to do it, however, I agree.

gatordev
6 June 2014, 12:29
Do people actually pay $700 for a T-1? Seems like there's so many other ways to get them for less than that.

KevinBLC
7 June 2014, 11:16
Do people actually pay $700 for a T-1? Seems like there's so many other ways to get them for less than that.

I'll stick with my SPARC. I'm not kicking down doors or looking for bad guys. And I'm on a budget.

GOST
7 June 2014, 11:31
I also thought that the micros were to expensive till I used one. Their durability and battery life are very impressive. I used to be an Eotech fan because of the larger FOV, but with both eyes open using a micro all you see is a floating dot. You can H1's for around $500 new with a little shopping around. I'm very pleased with the H1.

gatordev
7 June 2014, 12:20
My point was that you can find them online for much less. I bought a "used" NIB T-1 2 MOA on a forum with a LT-660 mount for ~$650 a year or two ago. I'm not knocking the optic (I have a couple), but there's just other ways to come by them for less if you shop around.

rob_s
9 June 2014, 03:28
Since the micros have become the tac-du-jour I also hope the new t2 drives down the price of the t1, and that in turn drives down the price of the PRO. I'm over the micros for guns that get shot and prefer the legacy 30mm tubes with a 2 MOA dot.

I'd love to see a $350 PRO, especially if it came with a better, smaller, mount without the big knob.

browcs
9 June 2014, 14:16
Since the micros have become the tac-du-jour I also hope the new t2 drives down the price of the t1, and that in turn drives down the price of the PRO. I'm over the micros for guns that get shot and prefer the legacy 30mm tubes with a 2 MOA dot.

I'd love to see a $350 PRO, especially if it came with a better, smaller, mount without the big knob.

Agreed. One can find the PRO at the $350 price point with a combination of luck and diligent shopping and/or whenever there are sales (Veteran's Day, Black Friday, etc.)

gatordev
9 June 2014, 17:44

Rob, you always preach quantitative measurements, so I'm curious, what is it that a 30mm tube does better than a T-1, besides price, for you? Price is a compelling reason, especially when compared to the weight difference (I think it's only 4 oz or so). The other prominent argument is FOV compared to a 30mm tube (or Eotech). When plinking, I can certainly notice the difference, but when trying to complete a dedicated task, I find the body disappears and finding targets isn't an issue.

I ask not to argue your preferences, just curious to your reasons. And I agree, a more efficient mount would be welcome.

rob_s
9 June 2014, 18:16
It's not so much of a field of view issue as it is an angle of view. The larger tube allows me to see the dot from a less-perfect angle than the T1.

I'm very much all about weight savings, but for me in the case of the T1 it comes at a cost I'm not willing to pay. shooting something like the 9-hole wall drill makes the 30mm tube preferable to me.

gatordev
11 June 2014, 11:59
It's not so much of a field of view issue as it is an angle of view. The larger tube allows me to see the dot from a less-perfect angle than the T1.

I'm very much all about weight savings, but for me in the case of the T1 it comes at a cost I'm not willing to pay. shooting something like the 9-hole wall drill makes the 30mm tube preferable to me.

I completely understand what you're saying. I think we have similar builds and I've found similar issues with RDS in general if I don't make the effort to bring the gun to my head rather than the other way around, resulting in contorting my neck. Not saying that's what you're doing, but that I understand how angles can be a consideration.

FortTom
11 June 2014, 17:56
I completely understand what you're saying. I think we have similar builds and I've found similar issues with RDS in general if I don't make the effort to bring the gun to my head rather than the other way around, resulting in contorting my neck. Not saying that's what you're doing, but that I understand how angles can be a consideration.

Gator, build size be damned. I can shoot a T1 about as well as I can a P.R.O. Therefore, with the impending and inevitable tanking of the value of the T1, I am more than willing to offer you any lowball price I can think of, for your, soon to be "cheap" T1. That's the least I can do, and I'm glad to stand up like a man and do it. You can thank me after I receive and take possession of it. er.. you are paying shipping, right?

FT[:)]

GOST
11 June 2014, 18:25
FT don't you be trying to buy up all the used micros![BD]

gatordev
12 June 2014, 13:46
For now, I think I'm good...

Seriously, though, I was bored at work today and perusing the classifieds on calguns.net. There were at least 3 different T-1 2 MOA RDS with 1/3 mounts for at or under $600. I'm tellin' ya people, the deals are out there.

FortTom
12 June 2014, 14:13
For now, I think I'm good...

Seriously, though, I was bored at work today and perusing the classifieds on calguns.net. There were at least 3 different T-1 2 MOA RDS with 1/3 mounts for at or under $600. I'm tellin' ya people, the deals are out there.

Yeah, I knew that, you have to look but there are deals to be had, for sure. I certainly wasn't going to pay $700 MSRP for one, GD. But since I'm going to be hung up on this rifle for a while, awaiting cerekote and then scheduling and waiting for ATAC camo dipping, I'm not in a real hurry. So, I've got some breathing room to either pull the trigger on a good deal I come upon, or wait and see if the new T2 will knock the prices back pretty good on a new T1 or H1. Plus, I bought a new safe today, so there went this weeks allowance.

And then there's the ridiculously lowball price I was going to pay you for yours when the T2 comes out, because I know you won't quit fidgeting around all day, like a craving drug addict, until you get a new T2....[:D]

FT "I'm FT and I approve this message"..

rob_s
13 June 2014, 04:08

All of which is well and good when standing on your hind legs, banging away at line-dancing class or the public range, or plinking. Same applies anytime you're upright, not under a time pressure, and shooting un-encumbered.

Add a timer, a 9-hole wall, and targets downrange that are partially obscured, and all the "bring the gun to the head" in the world just doesn't help the fact that the micros are less forgiving.

In those scenarios, you can't even bring the head to the gun fully, let alone do it the "right"way. This comes from not only my own experience but watching other shooters of various skill levels spend more time hunting for the dot/target than they should be with the little optics.

My usual go-to optic is a TA33, which is extremely unforgiving of head placement but at least it comes with a clear benefit in the form of magnification. The on,y benefit to the micro is weight and bulk reduction, which I'm all in favor of until it affects performance.

Once upon a time I would structure my next practice session around this and come back with times and scores from multiple shooters to prove my point, but now I just don't care. I'm only concerned with my own performance, which I know suffers with a micro vs a 30mm, and which I'm confident the vast majority of shooters will never experience because their definition of "shooting" differs from my own. I only offer my take here because there may be one or two that get something from it or resist the urge for "new hotness" because they realize their old isn't really busted.

I'd still like a PRO with a non-QD mount, at $350 MAP.

GOST
13 June 2014, 04:40
Rob_S has brought up some very good points. Don't get me wrong I like my H1 and do well with it, I also do very well with a PRO. In my opinion the PRO may be the best buy for a RDS. I myself often have to fight off the urge for the "new hotness", and I think I am already over the T2 even before it's been released. Since I've seen used SRS02's at roughly $600 I may try one of those next, but who knows I've playing around with my irons a lot lately.

GOST
13 June 2014, 05:18
Who am I kidding I'll probably buy a PRO, Form 1 and the girls swimming lessons have ate into the RDS funds. And the RDS fund can't borrow from the ammo fund.

gatordev
14 June 2014, 17:27
All of which is well and good when standing on your hind legs, banging away at line-dancing class or the public range, or plinking. Same applies anytime you're upright, not under a time pressure, and shooting un-encumbered.

Add a timer, a 9-hole wall, and targets downrange that are partially obscured, and all the "bring the gun to the head" in the world just doesn't help the fact that the micros are less forgiving.

In those scenarios, you can't even bring the head to the gun fully, let alone do it the "right"way. This comes from not only my own experience but watching other shooters of various skill levels spend more time hunting for the dot/target than they should be with the little optics.

My usual go-to optic is a TA33, which is extremely unforgiving of head placement but at least it comes with a clear benefit in the form of magnification. The on,y benefit to the micro is weight and bulk reduction, which I'm all in favor of until it affects performance.

Once upon a time I would structure my next practice session around this and come back with times and scores from multiple shooters to prove my point, but now I just don't care. I'm only concerned with my own performance, which I know suffers with a micro vs a 30mm, and which I'm confident the vast majority of shooters will never experience because their definition of "shooting" differs from my own. I only offer my take here because there may be one or two that get something from it or resist the urge for "new hotness" because they realize their old isn't really busted.

I'd still like a PRO with a non-QD mount, at $350 MAP.

Good grief, Rob, I'm thinking the internet gets in the way of comms with you sometimes. Believe it or not, you're not the only one here who does something more than plink from a bench. I have no doubt that there's a world of people out there that are better and faster than I am (and I'm sure you're one of them), but that doesn't mean I don't subscribe to a similar mantra.

The point of my post that you quoted was to say that I AGREE with you on the T-1. Yes, I simplified my response to a single example, but the basic premise is still true that "managing the angle" is "harder" with the T-1.

UWone77
14 June 2014, 17:42
I ran some drills this week engaging targets at 50 yards in various positions with barricades to simulate shooting around walls, under cars, ect. The drills consisted of 5 stations of 3 hits each. The first 4 times I ran the drill I used my T1. The last 4 times at the end of the week, I used a PRO.

My times averaged 15 seconds faster with the PRO than the T1.

I could definitely find the dot faster in the PRO compared to the T1. Most of the stations had me and my gun in odd angles and the larger tube definitely helped.

I've never paid for an Aimpoint Micro as I've received all mine in trades. I run ML3's or PRO's in my duty/HD/serious use guns. Having said that, I'm surprised the H1 is not more popular, as I would guess a very very very small percentage of T1 users are needing the NV compatibility.

rob_s
16 June 2014, 03:50
Good grief, Rob, I'm thinking the internet gets in the way of comms with you sometimes. Believe it or not, you're not the only one here who does something more than plink from a bench. I have no doubt that there's a world of people out there that are better and faster than I am (and I'm sure you're one of them), but that doesn't mean I don't subscribe to a similar mantra.

The point of my post that you quoted was to say that I AGREE with you on the T-1. Yes, I simplified my response to a single example, but the basic premise is still true that "managing the angle" is "harder" with the T-1.

Yes, the internet does seem to get in the way. I used your post as a launching point for a larger discussion, not strictly as a response or criticism towards you.

rob_s
16 June 2014, 03:55
I'm surprised the H1 is not more popular, as I would guess a very very very small percentage of T1 users are needing the NV compatibility.

In the beginning, the h1 was gloss and the T1 was matte, so everyone needed the T1 so as no go undetected in night operations (it reflected the glow of the commuter screens when posting on the internet, evidently). I just recently sold it, but I liked my R1 best because it was silver.

The popularity of the micros on ARs clearly surprised Aimpoint. I was at shot the year they were introduced and they had them mounted on bows, bolt-actions, and shotguns IIRC but no ARs. I stood at the booth and watched as one person after another asked them about a riser for the AR, TO WHICH MOST OF THE Aimpoint reps responded with guppie face. I think the gloss and silver colors were holdovers from that initial marketing gap.

At one point the T1 was <$50 more than the H1, I think, so a lot of people just bought the "better" optic.

gatordev
16 June 2014, 12:12
Yes, the internet does seem to get in the way. I used your post as a launching point for a larger discussion, not strictly as a response or criticism towards you.

Gotcha.

FortTom
16 June 2014, 19:41
I ran some drills this week engaging targets at 50 yards in various positions with barricades to simulate shooting around walls, under cars, ect. The drills consisted of 5 stations of 3 hits each. The first 4 times I ran the drill I used my T1. The last 4 times at the end of the week, I used a PRO.

My times averaged 15 seconds faster with the PRO than the T1.

I could definitely find the dot faster in the PRO compared to the T1. Most of the stations had me and my gun in odd angles and the larger tube definitely helped.

I've never paid for an Aimpoint Micro as I've received all mine in trades. I run ML3's or PRO's in my duty/HD/serious use guns. Having said that, I'm surprised the H1 is not more popular, as I would guess a very very very small percentage of T1 users are needing the NV compatibility.
UW, you, as well as the forum "guru" should know, as a LEO, with ongoing training, that "courses" or IPSC or whatever, is not combat, and those static targets that you can pre-solve won't go pew...pew...pew.. unless you have a speaker system set up to do that and "fire back" at you.... [:D]

Seriously, I'm not poking at you, just the poster with the same old b.s as to how everyone is a keyboard commando, and said poster's monitor must glow war figher red, with his bud's blood. Too much time playing war games on the keyboard, I think.

But really, I'd like to see your times, under a super stressful situation that mimics real combat, and see if that 15 seconds shrinks or even grows a bit.

When shooting IPSC and other "training" courses and the "foe" doesn't think, or hunt you as hard as you're hunting him, when said foe, might even have more training than yourself, or experience, these hypothetical's as to how one optic over another, seem to blur a bit.

I'm not saying that your training isn't as good or better than myself or others, i'm just trying to state, that when people start comparing other's experiences with their "courses" and don't have a clue what real combat is like, and how it can make even the best of plans and training go to hell in a hand basket, it's really hard to make a definitive opinion on something that one doesn't understand or know.

Respectfully, as always,

FT[:D]

UWone77
16 June 2014, 19:51
UW, you, as well as the forum "guru" should know, as a LEO, with ongoing training, that "courses" or IPSC or whatever, is not combat, and those static targets that you can pre-solve won't go pew...pew...pew.. unless you have a speaker system set up to do that and "fire back" at you.... [:D]

Seriously, I'm not poking at you, just the poster with the same old b.s as to how everyone is a keyboard commando, and said poster's monitor must glow war figher red, with his bud's blood. Too much time playing war games on the keyboard, I think.

But really, I'd like to see your times, under a super stressful situation that mimics real combat, and see if that 15 seconds shrinks or even grows a bit.

When shooting IPSC and other "training" courses and the "foe" doesn't think, or hunt you as hard as you're hunting him, when said foe, might even have more training than yourself, or experience, these hypothetical's as to how one optic over another, seem to blur a bit.

I'm not saying that your training isn't as good or better than myself or others, i'm just trying to state, that when people start comparing other's experiences with their "courses" and don't have a clue what real combat is like, and how it can make even the best of plans and training go to hell in a hand basket, it's really hard to make a definitive opinion on something that one doesn't understand or know.

Respectfully, as always,

FT,

I'm not sure by my post how you got that we were trying to simulate combat conditions.

We're not soldiers and definitely don't have the same mission, so our tactics and training will be different. For the most part, we punch paper a few times a year on quals which is all that is required. A small number of us keep up or try to keep up our skills on a more consistent basis. Engagements for LEO will likely be 1 on 1, 2 on 1, for the majority. We don't shoot and move in squads, or use cover fire.

All you can do in training is simulate having a little stress on you, whether that be a time limit, or number of hits on a target, moving, ect. All we're trying to do is have officers work through the stress and stay in the fight. A lot of LEO don't like guns, and dread going to the range. Many of them have a hard time working through basic malfunction drills and often get frustrated if they can't hit the target the first few shots.

I have no delusions of what my job is, and simulating combat like a soldier is not one of them.

GOST
17 June 2014, 01:51
What works best for some doesn't work for everyone. I also really like my H1 and PRO.

mustangfreek
17 June 2014, 02:32
I got talked into the PRO by a fella on here and had only used a Primary arms red dot before that, it worked but compared to the pro it is so much worth the extra $$, even though id run a PA RD on a .22 or something.

Never tried a micro but would like to one day.

One thing for me on the pro is i have to run the dot very low or it get starry for me ( if thats a word..lol)

rob_s
20 June 2014, 09:57

Respectfully, as always,

I wasn't aware you were still engaging in "combat"? Nor was I aware that anyone said anything about "combat"?

Even if it were, all that a target that returns fire would do to the equation relative to acquiring targets is make the micros LESS ideal, not more.

This thread is about a new micro optic from Aimpoint, not "combat".

We all get it, you served. In what capacity or whether that service involved "combat" is unclear, nor does it matter relative to the vast majority of topics on this forum, yet you constantly try to drag things back to that realm. Or, I should say, retreat back, presumably out of a lack of anything else to offer the discussion.

GOST
20 June 2014, 16:10
And I like red velvet cupcakes.

akersc
20 June 2014, 17:25
And I like red velvet cupcakes.

I like cupcakes too and this post took a big ol sassy turn. This is the reason I am afraid to comment on here sometimes, someone might eat my face off 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWone77
20 June 2014, 18:02
I like cupcakes too and this post took a big ol sassy turn. This is the reason I am afraid to comment on here sometimes, someone might eat my face off 😁

No one is going to eat your face off... comment as you please, we like having the resident lady on the forum.

Don't mind rob, he's actually chalk full of good information... This is the clip I think of best to describe him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XCFowMpLmAc

Seriously Rob, I've learned quite a lot over the years from you. I "get" your presentation [:D]

akersc
20 June 2014, 18:21
No one is going to eat your face off... comment as you please, we like having the resident lady on the forum.

Don't mind rob, he's actually chalk full of good information... This is the clip I think of best to describe him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XCFowMpLmAc

Seriously Rob, I've learned quite a lot over the years from you. I "get" your presentation [:D]

Oh I'll still post, I actually read more than post. If ya'll get sassy with me, maybe I'll eat your faces 😉

GOST
20 June 2014, 19:34
I do prefer the larger 30mm over the 20mm cupcakes.[BD]

camomike
20 June 2014, 23:13
I do prefer the larger 30mm over the 20mm cupcakes.[BD]

Careful with those 30mm cupcakes.... you'll end up taking up a larger part of the FOV

Eric
21 June 2014, 02:00
I think this has deteriorated enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

FortTom
21 June 2014, 16:29

No, don't let a bit of silliness deter you from posting. I think the industry, which was once totally male dominated, and for the most part still is, is attracting a lot more women in the shooting sports. Probably a bit less tactical, and more sporting clays, skeet, trap etc. But females can reach out to other females who've been fed the "anti-gun" propaganda, when they see other ladies interested in shooting. Women are also becoming major players in self defense pistol purchases, to defend themselves. I know the "left" hates that with a passion, I guess some ladies don't like other ladies from arming themselves against an overpowering rapist, attacker or whatever. The logic escapes me, but it seems that some groups think it's more "honorable?" to be attacked, than to put a slug in a would be rapist/attacker..etc.

Also there has been a surge of ladies in the sport shooting, and hunting arena's. I welcome them.

I think my daughter would have been a heck of a shooting fiend, except my ex-wife got hit in the head with something (she got indoctrinated in college), and I would have truly loved to have had her (my daughter) by my side at the range and in the field had she not been brainwashed after our divorce. (when she was about 4, she always talked about hunting lions)[:D]

Anyway, this forum, being dedicated to tactical weaponry, might not attract the majority of female shooters, their presence ( and yours) I think is something we all should welcome. I do think that I've read that several shooters here, do have wives/girlfriends/daughters, etc that shoot in one capacity or another in the "tactical" world. Some of the competition shooters are on a level playing field, as it's not necessarily a sport or competition that requires massive amounts of testosterone to be competitive.

So, post. It's good to look at things from all perspectives.

FT

akersc
21 June 2014, 19:22
No, don't let a bit of silliness deter you from posting. I think the industry, which was once totally male dominated, and for the most part still is, is attracting a lot more women in the shooting sports. Probably a bit less tactical, and more sporting clays, skeet, trap etc. But females can reach out to other females who've been fed the "anti-gun" propaganda, when they see other ladies interested in shooting. Women are also becoming major players in self defense pistol purchases, to defend themselves. I know the "left" hates that with a passion, I guess some ladies don't like other ladies from arming themselves against an overpowering rapist, attacker or whatever. The logic escapes me, but it seems that some groups think it's more "honorable?" to be attacked, than to put a slug in a would be rapist/attacker..etc.

Also there has been a surge of ladies in the sport shooting, and hunting arena's. I welcome them.

I think my daughter would have been a heck of a shooting fiend, except my ex-wife got hit in the head with something (she got indoctrinated in college), and I would have truly loved to have had her (my daughter) by my side at the range and in the field had she not been brainwashed after our divorce. (when she was about 4, she always talked about hunting lions)[:D]

Anyway, this forum, being dedicated to tactical weaponry, might not attract the majority of female shooters, their presence ( and yours) I think is something we all should welcome. I do think that I've read that several shooters here, do have wives/girlfriends/daughters, etc that shoot in one capacity or another in the "tactical" world. Some of the competition shooters are on a level playing field, as it's not necessarily a sport or competition that requires massive amounts of testosterone to be competitive.

So, post. It's good to look at things from all perspectives.

FT

FT I will continue to read and post, I just like yanking your guys chains. I do appreciate the support, you are a pretty great guy! As far as women getting into shooting, I hope more do! I do have one suggestion though, for those manufacturers that want to bring more women in, they really should stop trying to sell their products with half naked women. I for one do not like to see that and will NOT do business with those who do. If they want to bring more women in, advertise with real women, with real bodies, that know how to use the firearm they are showing! Make clothing in fluffy girl sizes and make it fit right, I hate shirts that are so tight you can see everything, if you know what I mean! Also woman are smaller than men, they need to make products that fit our hands. It took me forever to find the right grip, rail and buttstock that fit me. We need more choices and more companies that are build on good customer service and great products, that should be what sells things NOT naked women. If you need that to sell your products then you have bigger problems.

I love coming to the forum, its where I go to find new things and see what the boys have to say about them. I would never let someones bad attitude make me leave, it will take a heck of a lot more than that. I will be honest, the only reason I don't post a lot is because I don't think a lot of the guys on here take me very serious. I will show them one day that I am not just another dumb twit that acts like she knows what shes talking about (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't :) ) Thank you again for your kind words and sorry for my long-winded rant, this is a very hot button topic for me.

FortTom
21 June 2014, 20:01
uhhh... I guess then, you probably might not enjoy the advertisements for Harley parts? Just guessing...... [:D][:D][:D]

Me. I will not tolerate sexy women in tight clothing, shooting guns or anything else, for that matter. I promise. really, me and every other dude on the site... you have my word on it....[:D].. O.K., some things will change slower than others...[:)][:)]

FT:P
Sorry, just tying to be honest. Nothing more sexy than a female blasting away a cape buffalo.. or grizzly...[:)]

AK... you have my word on it. If I ever see a lady shooting with a very sheer looking blouse or skirt, next to me, I will do the right thing, and poke both of my eyes out with sticks.... So there, you now know that there are no male pigs on this forum.:P:confused:

akersc
22 June 2014, 08:27
uhhh... I guess then, you probably might not enjoy the advertisements for Harley parts? Just guessing...... [:D][:D][:D]

Me. I will not tolerate sexy women in tight clothing, shooting guns or anything else, for that matter. I promise. really, me and every other dude on the site... you have my word on it....[:D].. O.K., some things will change slower than others...[:)][:)]

FT:P
Sorry, just tying to be honest. Nothing more sexy than a female blasting away a cape buffalo.. or grizzly...[:)]

AK... you have my word on it. If I ever see a lady shooting with a very sheer looking blouse or skirt, next to me, I will do the right thing, and poke both of my eyes out with sticks.... So there, you now know that there are no male pigs on this forum.:P:confused:

Thanks for the support weirdo 😉

FortTom
22 June 2014, 21:19
Thanks for the support weirdo 😉

Akersc,
On a serious note, I do think that you'll start seeing less "scantily clad ladies" in ads, but it'll take a while. Even though more and more women are getting into shooting for SD, Competition, Hunting or just plain fun shooting, they are really still a minority. So, especially in the "macho" magazines it will take a while for the industry to adjust. If you look at the magazines that cater more to the hunting or Skeet/Trap/Sporting clays, I think while they've never had ad's that could really be called "offensive", they've made the transition to a "family oriented" publication(s).

On an related aside, I'm out of shooting for at least a short while until the doctors figure out what's wrong with my shoulder, I went to the club the other day, just to meet some guys and watch some trap shooting and five stage, I was both surprised and pleased to see about 7 to 10 young girls in their early to mid teens there with their dad's to learn to shoot Trap. I'd bet one of these young ladies will get serious and be kicking some serious butt in a few years.

Anyway, until the numbers, especially in the tactical arena, of women start growing significantly, you'll just have to deal with the testosterone fueled magazine ads, but my guess is that they'll start changing a bit in the not so distant future.

FT

akersc
23 June 2014, 14:59
Akersc,
On a serious note, I do think that you'll start seeing less "scantily clad ladies" in ads, but it'll take a while. Even though more and more women are getting into shooting for SD, Competition, Hunting or just plain fun shooting, they are really still a minority. So, especially in the "macho" magazines it will take a while for the industry to adjust. If you look at the magazines that cater more to the hunting or Skeet/Trap/Sporting clays, I think while they've never had ad's that could really be called "offensive", they've made the transition to a "family oriented" publication(s).

On an related aside, I'm out of shooting for at least a short while until the doctors figure out what's wrong with my shoulder, I went to the club the other day, just to meet some guys and watch some trap shooting and five stage, I was both surprised and pleased to see about 7 to 10 young girls in their early to mid teens there with their dad's to learn to shoot Trap. I'd bet one of these young ladies will get serious and be kicking some serious butt in a few years.

Anyway, until the numbers, especially in the tactical arena, of women start growing significantly, you'll just have to deal with the testosterone fueled magazine ads, but my guess is that they'll start changing a bit in the not so distant future.

FT

Awe sorry about your shoulder, I hope you get it all figured out soon.

As far as the ads go I can't wait to see the day. I love that I can go to Rainier Arms website and not have to worry about that crap. Phase 5 is legit as well. Their products sell itself and the customer service is top notch at both, I am a forever customer for sure.

bzdog
23 June 2014, 20:53
To a certain extent, cheesier products use cheesier advertising. Find good products/companies, less cheese (in every way).

-john

GR1M
15 August 2014, 11:34
Want!!!!!!

nCarnage
26 August 2014, 10:01
I'm about to go broke.

Same here. Wife is going to murder me.

GOST
26 August 2014, 15:56
You'll have to start you a black ops fund brother.

Stone
26 August 2014, 18:27
Looking forward to getting one of these, my new rifle is getting lonely. Last I read, the release date was supposed to be September does anyone have any kind of update? Woohoo! Coming soon! http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint?sort=popular

UWone77
10 September 2014, 18:21
Looks like the early talk on this optic is, Aimpoint is positioning the T2 as their premium optic, and the price of the T1 won't drop. If the T1 does drop, it will be a very small amount. No pricing has been given so far.

Stay tuned.

titanse05
11 September 2014, 07:11
Looks like the early talk on this optic is, Aimpoint is positioning the T2 as their premium optic, and the price of the T1 won't drop. If the T1 does drop, it will be a very small amount. No pricing has been given so far.

Stay tuned.I figured this to be the case right from the beginning. Why would Aimpoint drop prices when customers will shell out the coin for the current H1 and T1? Makes sense to me that the T2 will come in around $75 more than the T1. Time will tell.

I chose the H1 for my first Micro two years ago and have been completely satisfied with the purchase. The addition of the iO cover was icing on the cake.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

FortTom
11 September 2014, 09:54
I bought a "LNIB" H1 and am perfectly happy with it. The T1 plus a detachable mount just wasn't worth the money, for my needs. I doubt the T2 will be any different, as far as me wanting one, unless I came upon another once in a lifetime deal.

I never did buy into the theory that the price of the P.R.O would drop, since they are apples to oranges. So I wondered if the T1 would just disappear and the T2 would be the standard bearer. I guess I was wrong on that count. It's apparent that Aimpoint believes there is room for both a T1 and a T2, at least for now.

rob_s
11 September 2014, 10:40
There's nothing here to say that the price of the PRO won't drop. I think it still will within the next year. I think the real value of that optic is $350.

I'm disappointed to see that the H1 won't become the "PRO mini". A 2MOA H1 at $400 would be a good market filler. There's a big gap in price between the H1 and the next closest fakepoint.

GOST
11 September 2014, 17:31
Have to agree with Rob.

0uTkAsT
13 September 2014, 10:54
Looks great!

I'll echo every one else on the hopes of a cheaper T1 though lol

DutyUse
13 September 2014, 11:38

Stay tuned.

I'm just speculating here, but my prediction is the first 2-3 months the T2 is out, the price of the T1 wouldn't vary. It wouldn't be until the market is flooded with T2's and Aimpoint has quite a few T1's just sitting on store shelves gathering dust that the price of the T1 will begin to fall appreciably.

GOST
13 September 2014, 12:49
I'm hoping they do the H1 like they did the R1.

MechMan82
13 September 2014, 17:34
Looks great! Glad I waited to get one.

UWone77
14 September 2014, 18:35
Anyone else notice the Aimpoint T2 went from coming in September 2014, to Fall 2014, to.... disappearing from the website all together? I guess that's par for the course in the firearms industry. Release dates are all tentative.

GOST
14 September 2014, 19:35
They may be scared that a higher priced version of a T1 may bomb, but it probably won't. Still crossing my fingers for a price drop on the H1.

Stone
14 September 2014, 21:43
Anyone else notice the Aimpoint T2 went from coming in September 2014, to Fall 2014, to.... disappearing from the website all together? I guess that's par for the course in the firearms industry. Release dates are all tentative.

I PM'd a guy on another forum that's in the industry and he said probably after SHOT 2015. I sure hope he is wrong...[bash]

Thompson
15 September 2014, 09:59
I PM'd a guy on another forum that's in the industry and he said probably after SHOT 2015. I sure hope he is wrong...[bash]
That would explain why the release date was pulled. ... perhaps they've put the T2 on the backburner until SHOT's over?

GOST
15 September 2014, 14:44
Must have an overstock of micros they need to sell first.

dpphd
18 September 2014, 05:45
Sweet!

robs_g23
18 September 2014, 09:41
Aimpoint wins again!

UWone77
21 September 2014, 06:12
From Aimpoint:

The T-2 link was accidentally made live when it shouldn't have been made live until the actual launch. The T-2 will be here soon! There will be plenty of official announcements and you will see the announcement on our Facebook page and website.

mustangfreek
21 September 2014, 15:11
Huh...been wanting to try a micro, and hoping that this drops some of the other micro prices.....But Its a hard decision when you havent played with either and no where around me or anyone i know of locally has one to try out, before i fork out a pile of $$$

UWone77
22 September 2014, 08:25
Huh...been wanting to try a micro, and hoping that this drops some of the other micro prices.....But Its a hard decision when you havent played with either and no where around me or anyone i know of locally has one to try out, before i fork out a pile of $$$

In your case, I like I've said, I'd wait for the T2 release and then find an H1 on the secondary market. In fact you'll probably find people dumping them just prior to release in anticipation. Just from the specs, to me the T2, seems more like a T1.5. Not sure it offers enough of an "upgrade" for me to shell out anymore money.

titanse05
1 October 2014, 07:51
http://www.aimpoint.com/fileadmin/uploads/Aimpoint_Online_Library/Press_Material_pdf/Press_Releases/USA/2014/Micro_T2_US_Version_M01872.pdf

Well today the T2 has been released and at a $846 MSRP. For comparison purposes the MSRP on the T1 is $753. They will start shipping out to dealers mid-October. Sorry to all you price drop dreamers out there. :(

rob_s
1 October 2014, 07:57

I wish I could deliver projects in commercial and high-rise construction the way the firearms business does. I would literally have zero stress.

Magpul finally got the memo, as they stopped announcing anything they're not ready to release, for the most part.

rob_s
1 October 2014, 07:58
http://www.aimpoint.com/fileadmin/uploads/Aimpoint_Online_Library/Press_Material_pdf/Press_Releases/USA/2014/Micro_T2_US_Version_M01872.pdf

Well today the T2 has been released and at a $846 MSRP. For comparison purposes the MSRP on the T1 is $753. They will start shipping out to dealers mid-October. Sorry to all you price drop dreamers out there. :(

I would never have expected to see an immediate drop. That's not how these things work anywhere but at Apple.

titanse05
1 October 2014, 08:15
I would never have expected to see an immediate drop. That's not how these things work anywhere but at Apple.Even long term though I just don't get the feeling that Aimpoint will drop the prices on their Micro offerings. They are wildly popular and people have shown that they will pay the current prices. But boy I hope that I'm wrong, I would certainly like to add another Micro to my newest rifle at lower than current prices.

As far as the T2 goes, I would like to handle one to see the difference and then determine whether its worth the additional cost.

GOST
1 October 2014, 14:00
Looks to be a little to rich for me.

Rescu1fire
1 October 2014, 19:01
I need to try one. I don't care for my EO Tech. Anyone want to trade??

Vesticles
2 October 2014, 09:54
I'm just hoping that all the fanboys flood the market with used T1s cause they HAVE to have the latest and greatest for their pretty boy rifles that just sit in a safe :) , driving down the price of the used ones on the Equipment Exchanges.

paintballswimguy
2 October 2014, 10:26
I love built in covers...

GOST
3 October 2014, 09:09
Besides the caps I don't see any noticeable improvements in function. Supposedly more durable but never heard durability problems with either T1 or H1. For that much coin for a RDS I would probably try a Trijicon SRS since they can be found for about $600 used. The SRS is heavier but offers a 38mm objective lens over the 20mm of the T2. Wish the T2 would have been an improvement to a larger objective lens.

harm
3 October 2014, 12:53
I hold out hope for an H2 since I don't toy w NV

FortTom
3 October 2014, 13:20
Besides the caps I don't see any noticeable improvements in function. Supposedly more durable but never heard durability problems with either T1 or H1. For that much coin for a RDS I would probably try a Trijicon SRS since they can be found for about $600 used. The SRS is heavier but offers a 38mm objective lens over the 20mm of the T2. Wish the T2 would have been an improvement to a larger objective lens.
Aimpoint does have larger dia objective RDS's as you are aware. Why in the world would they want to make the T2 with the large lenses such as the P.R.O. and that line of scopes? The T1 and H1 are their "micro" line of scopes. Therefore, a 38mm lens, or almost double that of a T1 or H1 would not be a "micro" style RDS. It would be a competitor with their already existing lines of militaryLEO and civilian style 38mm or larger lens scopes.

GOST
3 October 2014, 13:41
Because their 30mm tubes are twice as long; not short like their micros, SRS or XPS. To me a shorter version of the PRO would be perfect. I personally don't want to pay an extra $100 for lens covers, but some may.

UWone77
3 October 2014, 13:45
To me this is more like Aimpoint T1.5

iOcover on an existing H1/T1 would suffice, unless there is something in the specs I'm missing.

GOST
3 October 2014, 14:00
I like the H1. I just don't see the benefits for someone like me to purchase the T2 over a H1. But I guess they wouldn't make it if there wasn't a market for it.

Spitfire147
3 October 2014, 17:00

Release dates in the firearms industry are like time schedules for a drug dealer...the only thing you can count on is NOT being able to count on them

XanderB
3 October 2014, 17:06
Can't wait for mine!

Doc_Fry
3 October 2014, 18:24
Very cool!

FortTom
3 October 2014, 18:42
I don't understand your logic... Let's have a T2 version of a large lens, and a T2 version of their very popular micro sights.... What the hell ever.... let's split in two and make it a 30mm lens...yeah what the hell... quit smoking that stuff, GOST, it's screwing with your mind...[:D] Just kidding..

GOST
3 October 2014, 19:04
I actually want just 1 version, a short and fat micro. A micro with a 30mm objective lens would only be 50% larger which would increase the micros weight from 3oz to 4.5oz. Keeping the micros footprint of 62mm would make it 68mm shorter than a PRO. This would give you a RDS that increases your objective lens by 50% like a PRO but has the footprint of a micro, by doing this you could get PRO performance and save 68mm of rail space and decrease the weight by 3.3oz. You get this by just adding 1.5oz to the original T2. This is just more my cup of tea than the T2 offering. Not saying the T2 won't be killer; just saying that it's already available and it's called a T1 with an IQ cover.

Tyrannosaur
3 October 2014, 19:12
I'm a big fan of the Trijicon ta44 1.5x magnification optic. My astigmatism hinders the use of the aimpoints. That being said I would like to see what the lens improvement is. Perhaps my eyes will work better with it... Or not.

GOST
8 October 2014, 11:33
For those interested the T2 is available for pre-order at Larue Tactical for $761.

http://m.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-micro-t-2

KevinBLC
8 October 2014, 17:14
Still thinkin a used H1 is the way to go.

Stone
9 October 2014, 20:28
I love built in covers...

And they will cost extra: "a new sight housing which allows the ADDITION of front and rear protective flip covers and anti-reflective devices"

GOST
29 October 2014, 18:34
Here's a link to Vickers' impression of the T2, and a cool pic of the Scalarworks mount:

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/10/29/larry-vickers-initial-impressions-aimpoint-micro-t-2/

https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/1381345_10154767090210416_1989707277180257154_n.jp g?oh=755e37a8b09560ebca83870e1663a137&oe=54B035B5&__gda__=1420604127_e3f6f9da9c157d156c52ad223fb1a72 3

Stone
29 October 2014, 18:43
Called Larue today and was told they started shipping a few days ago....

FortTom
29 October 2014, 19:21
If I were a tactical operator, I'd be in line for one. Being retired and a civilan? There ain't no freakin' way I'd pay that for one. I just got one hell of a deal on an H1 that was used (displayed on a gun in a gun store), removed and mailed with an AMD mount. Works fine for me on a rifle that was built with light weight from it's inception. If I just wanted to blow that much plus another 100 + for a mount, just so I'd be the cool kid on the block, I might. I don't think, for my purposes, the upgrades from the T1 and H1 are worth it. For a working professional, yes, I could see it.

FT

GOST
1 November 2014, 12:27
Being offered as a bundle with Scalarworks mount for $819.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-bundles/aimpoint-micro-t-2-ldm-micro/

Allrockabilly
5 November 2014, 06:53
I own 2 Aimpoint T-1's (2moa) and absolutely love them. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these new T-2's with a 2moa dot. These have always been expensive little red dots but they last forever....
I haven't done much research on the new T-2 so I'm curious how much more rugged the little guy really is but knowing Aimpoint the will be top notch.

GOST
10 December 2014, 04:11
T2 with ADM mounts for $761.

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQB1UwQ_vdGz-lUM&w=484&h=253&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americandefensemanufacturing. com%2Fimg%2F%3Ffilename%3D61dabe00724701ecd4ac64b9 4f48c1b3.jpg%26width%3D480&cfs=1

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/874/

rob_s
10 December 2014, 04:21
If I were a tactical operator, I'd be in line for one. Being retired and a civilan? There ain't no freakin' way I'd pay that for one. I just got one hell of a deal on an H1 that was used (displayed on a gun in a gun store), removed and mailed with an AMD mount. Works fine for me on a rifle that was built with light weight from it's inception. If I just wanted to blow that much plus another 100 + for a mount, just so I'd be the cool kid on the block, I might. I don't think, for my purposes, the upgrades from the T1 and H1 are worth it. For a working professional, yes, I could see it.

FT

I'm inclined to agree, although even most "pros" would be more than well served with an H1.

Somebody call me when Aimpoint introduces a 1-or-4 power red dot optic in a body the size of the M4. Until hen I think the innovation train is stalled and all we are getting is incremental "improvement". I wish the gun industry would take a lesson from Apple. Every new product has to be better AND cost less.