PDA

View Full Version : Polymer 80 Lowers

Thompson
7 June 2014, 06:27
I curious, and I'm thinking about investing in a Polymer 80 lower, by Guns 80.

Does anyone know much about polymer lowers? I read that one of the issues arises with trying to install the buffer tube, which apparently for some people damaged their lower.

Has anyone heard anything bad about polymer lowers, or Guns 80?

polymer 80 g150 (http://www.guns80.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63)

Ride4frnt
7 June 2014, 08:17
It going with a polymer lower, I'd recommend JMT tactical. Less than $100 on rainier, and comes with the jig. Reinforced polymer and some other awesome features.

UWone77
7 June 2014, 08:28
Any reason you want to go with a polymer lower?

I'd rather have a finished aluminum lower for about the same price.

GOST
7 June 2014, 10:31
I'm with ya, the 80% lowers are not much cheaper than a finished anymore. I guess it's no serial # has it's advantages.

Thompson
7 June 2014, 11:16
Any reason you want to go with a polymer lower?
Not particularly. It's more of an investment should I want to sell it later on down the road. But should I decide to use it, then I'd have one.

I've heard good things about JMT's poly lower.

Polymer80
7 June 2014, 11:24
Hi, my name is Loran I am co-founder at Polymer80. I saw this post and registered. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone here has about the Polymer80.

Just as an FYI, our new G150 Phoenix edition is pretty awesome, our geomatry is the most reinforced in the industry, we have a REAL life-time warranty and we stand by it. Our customer service is top-notch and when its all done, it looks GREAT as a rifle.

I would be very happy to answer any questions right here or you can reach my direct cell is 707-346-0075 or you can email me @ loran@polymer80.com as well.

Thanks!

tappedandtagged
7 June 2014, 14:49
I'd just buy a blem lower from Aero. If I was to go the poly 80% route, JMT does make it nice with the jig included for a package price. But, I'd be too worried about breaking the lower to really use it.

Thompson
7 June 2014, 18:25
But, I'd be too worried about breaking the lower to really use it.
Too worried of breaking it by completing the lower, or actual use of the lower?

MoxyDave
7 June 2014, 19:13
Don't buy a polymer lower. It will break at the buffer tube, probably on the top or shear the whole back off at the pistol grip hole. Simple as that.

Personally it was an interesting experiment but I found polymer is just not strong enough for an AR15 lower receiver.

For a dedicated .22lr, sure. No problem. That would be a good application, but I'd still rather have metal.

Wait for "blem" PSA lowers for $50 each. Just my $.02.

Thompson
7 June 2014, 21:39
Don't buy a polymer lower. It will break at the buffer tube, probably on the top or shear the whole back off at the pistol grip hole. Simple as that.
That's what I've been reading about poly lowers.

Will have to take a look at the blemished PSA lowers.

UWone77
7 June 2014, 22:31
Hi, my name is Loran I am co-founder at Polymer80. I saw this post and registered. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone here has about the Polymer80.

Just as an FYI, our new G150 Phoenix edition is pretty awesome, our geomatry is the most reinforced in the industry, we have a REAL life-time warranty and we stand by it. Our customer service is top-notch and when its all done, it looks GREAT as a rifle.

I would be very happy to answer any questions right here or you can reach my direct cell is 707-346-0075 or you can email me @ loran@polymer80.com as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to Weapon Evolution sir.

OP, there's a pretty good guide on the forum on how to mill out your own JMT lower using the jig. I've tried one myself, and ended up turning it into a hunk of plastic as the magazine well broke through rendering mine useless. That was operator error though.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?5437-James-Madison-Tactical-80-Lower-Instructional-Video

Because aluminum 100% lowers are the same price and in some cases lower, I see little investment value in 80% poly lowers.

Although aluminum is my personal preference, the lower for the most part is a low stress part. Your mileage will definitely vary.

tappedandtagged
7 June 2014, 22:40
Too worried of breaking it by completing the lower, or actual use of the lower?

By actual use. My AR is not a range toy. It get used and often and under some not so nice conditions (mainly pig hunting). I am confident I would have already destroyed a polymer lower. My other AR is dept issued and there is no way I'd trust my life to polymer (rifles)! (Insert Glock jokes here).

Polymer80
7 June 2014, 23:36
By actual use. My AR is not a range toy. It get used and often and under some not so nice conditions (mainly pig hunting). I am confident I would have already destroyed a polymer lower. My other AR is dept issued and there is no way I'd trust my life to polymer (rifles)! (Insert Glock jokes here).

Ok, let me just say that we have units out now that have several thousand rounds through them and are still running strong. As I have stated, we have a lifetime warranty and we do honor it. This would be a losing endeavor if most or as some of you have put it, all of them broke.

JMT does make a great lower, probably equal to ours, I just feel that we bring a better value at $90 retail you get the lower, the jig AND all the drill bits AND the custom, depth marked end mill to finish it out.

Polymer80
7 June 2014, 23:38
Welcome to Weapon Evolution sir.

OP, there's a pretty good guide on the forum on how to mill out your own JMT lower using the jig. I've tried one myself, and ended up turning it into a hunk of plastic as the magazine well broke through rendering mine useless. That was operator error though.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?5437-James-Madison-Tactical-80-Lower-Instructional-Video

Because aluminum 100% lowers are the same price and in some cases lower, I see little investment value in 80% poly lowers.

Although aluminum is my personal preference, the lower for the most part is a low stress part. Your mileage will definitely vary.

Thanks for the welcome!

here is our video, it is on our older model but gives and idea of how to do the newer one. An updated video is in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32cxlDF5Eg

Thanks!
-Loran

tappedandtagged
7 June 2014, 23:53
Ok, let me just say that we have units out now that have several thousand rounds through them and are still running strong. As I have stated, we have a lifetime warranty and we do honor it. This would be a losing endeavor if most or as some of you have put it, all of them broke.

JMT does make a great lower, probably equal to ours, I just feel that we bring a better value at $90 retail you get the lower, the jig AND all the drill bits AND the custom, depth marked end mill to finish it out.

That's not a bad deal. Are the jigs reusable?

Polymer80
8 June 2014, 01:19
No. This system is a one-time use jig. People HAVE done it but in all honesty it is not designed that way. There are guides within the guides, particularly on the side-holes that keep your bits from walking and force the bit to the exact spot to drill. It does this because you drill through these conical guides within the holes. This ensures perfect hole placement. Once you do it, those internal guides are obliterated.

browcs
8 June 2014, 09:18
I have a poly lower, but it's a dedicated .22LR light training rifle and plinker. So far, it's been ok, but it has not been run hard either.

Polymer80
9 June 2014, 10:50
I have a poly lower, but it's a dedicated .22LR light training rifle and plinker. So far, it's been ok, but it has not been run hard either.

Yes, not all polymer lowers are created equal. Material and geometry are very important. The good ones can run .50 beowulf no problem.

KevinBLC
9 June 2014, 11:00
Like it was mentioned earlier, isn't the lower a low stress part? Handling 50 Beowulf vs 556 on a lower doesn't seem like a big deal. How about mortaring the gun? Are polys going to hold us when mortaring the gun say on like a concrete surface with a metal buffer tube on a poly lower? I'm thinkin something has got to give.

tappedandtagged
10 June 2014, 21:51
Like it was mentioned earlier, isn't the lower a low stress part? Handling 50 Beowulf vs 556 on a lower doesn't seem like a big deal. How about mortaring the gun? Are polys going to hold us when mortaring the gun say on like a concrete surface with a metal buffer tube on a poly lower? I'm thinkin something has got to give.
Mortaring, being dropped, carried in a full trunk in a soft case, being stepped on/tripped over. All these things are things I would be concerned about with a poly lower. And I've done all of them on my rifle at one point or another. (Actually, I haven't motared MY rifle, just my work rifle during FTF drills with empties randomly loaded in my mag).
But I have had a hunting buddy step on my rifle after I placed it on the ground to drag a hog off a field. I've dropped my rifle, it lives in a soft case and in general its gets "used." Not sure I'd want to trust my lower if it was a poly.

GOST
11 June 2014, 05:17
I personally haven't been to interrested in poly lowers since companies like Aero are selling finished 7075 ones for $80 and blems for $55.

UWone77
11 June 2014, 20:58
I personally haven't been to interrested in poly lowers since companies like Aero are selling finished 7075 ones for $80 and blems for $55.

This is pretty much where I'm at with most Polymer Lowers. I don't doubt that Polymer can be made to duty quality, but with aluminum receivers at all time low prices, I just don't see the appeal right now. Obviously if you want to make your own out of an 80% there are some benefits with that.

Polymer80
12 June 2014, 14:03
Mortaring, being dropped, carried in a full trunk in a soft case, being stepped on/tripped over. All these things are things I would be concerned about with a poly lower. And I've done all of them on my rifle at one point or another. (Actually, I haven't motared MY rifle, just my work rifle during FTF drills with empties randomly loaded in my mag).
But I have had a hunting buddy step on my rifle after I placed it on the ground to drag a hog off a field. I've dropped my rifle, it lives in a soft case and in general its gets "used." Not sure I'd want to trust my lower if it was a poly.

Have not tried mortaring but ALL the others I have done with my Polymer80. Still going strong. We have done drop tests onto concrete with a fully built rifle and no issues. I beat my rifle up pretty good.

GOST
12 June 2014, 19:22
In my opinion I feel that if I was that good at polymer I would focus on stocks, grips and keymod rail panels. The lower market has to many great offerings in 7075-T6 at really low prices.

GOST
13 June 2014, 05:24
I think that someone needs to make polymer acessories for the Geissele MK4. From the emails I have received from Geissele they have no plans for a VFG or handstop.

Polymer80
13 June 2014, 13:12
In my opinion I feel that if I was that good at polymer I would focus on stocks, grips and keymod rail panels. The lower market has to many great offerings in 7075-T6 at really low prices.

The market is flooded with Polymer stocks and grips, even rails. The market does lack a variety of good Polymer lowers. I feel we are one of a only a hondful. So actually if you want a successful business, you would do what no one else is doing, like us! [:D]

GOST
13 June 2014, 15:11
Are you going to start offering your lowers cheaper than the finished blem lowers from Aero at $55?

Polymer80
15 June 2014, 13:13
The Polymer80 is technically cheaper, if you want to just talk about the lower alone. with the Polymer80, you get a jig, (elsewhere is an extra $50-100 expense) the lower, an endmill (that would be about $30 elsewhere) all the drill bits you need and the best warranty of ANY lower on the market for $90. And its not blemished nor is there a DROS fee or, depending on where you live, a waiting period.

Not to mention no serial number or threat of any future registration.

So taking that all into account the Polymer80 is a much better buy.

I mean the DROS fee alone is going to put the actual price for the blemished Aero right around 75-80 so it really is not a savings considering all the bennes with the Polymer80

GOST
15 June 2014, 13:29
My local shop has unblemished Anderson lowers out the door with all fees and taxes for $77.89.

Polymer80
15 June 2014, 20:02
Awesome. I say buy it!

I think you need to understand there are other reasons to buy 80% lowers, be they metal, polymer or whatever.

1. No serials. To some that's important, to others it isn't. If it is, then no matter how cheap the serialed lowers are, its not what they are looking for.
2. Pride in building something yourself. 80% products like the Polymer80 offer an opportunity to be able to really get to know your rifle platform without having to be a full-on machine shop or manufacturer. YOU get to build your own gun from scratch and that's awesome. Today is Fathers day and these are great projects to do with Dad.

80% receivers and 100% receivers are different products and not in competition with each other at the end of the day. I frankly don't care what Aero Precision or Anderson or Black Rain Ordnance sells their lowers for. We have a particular customer that wants something specific that NONE of those guys offer.

By all means if you see a receiver you like and that is ALL you want and the price is right; buy it. If you want to have the irreplaceable experience and pride of building your own gun, and the peace of mind that your purchase is totally private, buy a Polymer80.