PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Optics SPARC II

UWone77
7 June 2014, 10:32
The Vortex Optics (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-sparc-2-red-dot-with-bright-red-dot) SPARC II is now available. This is the update and followup to the popular SPARC Optic. MSRP remains the same at $289. Checkout Vortex Optics (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-sparc-2-red-dot-with-bright-red-dot) for complete details.

Description:

Get on target fast with the SPARC II. Ultra-compact and lightweight, the SPARC II (Speed Point Aiming for Rapid Combat) is equally at home mounted on an AR-15 or shotgun. Digital rear facing controls for powering on/off and adjusting the 2 MOA daylight bright red dot brightness at ten intensity levels—automatically returning to the last dot intensity used when powered up. Rugged single-piece body machined from aircraft grade aluminum is o-ring sealed for waterproof and fogproof performance.

Note:

The versatile multi-height mount system accomodates most firearms including AR-15s needing absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness heights, and mounts on standard Weaver or Picatinny bases (not included). A modular three-piece base offers four separate mounting heights for user- and weapon-specific customization: 18.0 mm (.709 inches), 21 mm (.823 inches), 37 mm (1.457 inches), 40 mm (1.575 inches).

Features:

Fully Multi-Coated: Multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces increase light transmission.
Bright Red Dot: Display is highly visible in daylight.
Single-Piece Chassis: Compact and lightweight.
Waterproof: O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments.
Fogproof: Nitrogen gas purging delivers fogproof, waterproof performance.
Shockproof: Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
Hard Anodized Finish: Highly durable low-glare matte finish.
Operating Temperature: Rated from -4 degrees to +158 degrees Fahrenheit.

Multi-Height Mount System: Includes a high mount, low mount, and a spacer that can be combined to provide various mounting heights: lower 1/3 co-witness (40 mm), absolute co-witness (37 mm), 21 mm, and 18 mm.

Unlimited Eye Relief: Non-critical eye relief for rapid target acquisition.
Adjustable Dot Intensity: Provides ten variable illumination settings—the lowest two settings are night-vision compatible.
Battery Life: 12-hour auto-shutdown feature maximizes battery life. Typical battery life is 300 hours at maximum brightness and 5,000 hours at minimum brightness setting.

Specifications:

Magnification: 1 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 22 mm
Eye Relief: Unlimited
Adjustment Graduation: 1 MOA
Travel per Rotation: 45 MOA
Max Elevation Adjustment: 90 MOA
Max Windage Adjustment: 90 MOA
Parallax Setting: Parallax Free
Length: 3.1 inches
Weight: 5.9 ounces

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/4731833cfb29c6c29a691beabed52283_zps5f8d451b.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/4731833cfb29c6c29a691beabed52283_zps5f8d451b.jpg.h tml)
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/920bd64578dbdd554834a2c4b8fdd914_zps585f1086.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/920bd64578dbdd554834a2c4b8fdd914_zps585f1086.jpg.h tml)

mustangfreek
7 June 2014, 15:31
I think an upcoming plinker build i will be trying one of these..

KevinBLC
7 June 2014, 23:31
Seems like a modest upgrade. Lens caps, 300 Hour Battery Life, and auto shut off after 12. Worth getting vs blow out SPARC I's? Hmmmmm

Computalotapus
8 June 2014, 08:05
I have a SPARC and I have been very happy with it. The dot was crisp I have not had any issues with the supplied mount coming loose at all. I have used it for well over a year now and still working on the same battery. I had originally put a SRS on a build list but after reading more on the SRS I don't think I will be getting it. Issues mentioned on it shouldn't be issues on a $900 optic. So I am either going to get an Aimpoint PRO or a SPARC II.

browcs
8 June 2014, 09:12
Has anyone here taken a (or several) classes with these Vortex RDS' and if so, how did it perform?

UWone77
8 June 2014, 09:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2f7jy3-9mM&feature=player_detailpage

FortTom
8 June 2014, 11:09
Hmmmmm.... just 2.2 ounces heavier than a T1. I wish there was info available from LEO/Contractor/MIL that these things would hold up under hard use. I'd almost be tempted to try one. Not quite sure I'd want to be the 'test dummy' at nearly $300.

FT

mustangfreek
8 June 2014, 14:15
FT, the new sparcs are popping up i noticed in the last few days at $199 shipped

FortTom
8 June 2014, 15:32
FT, the new sparcs are popping up i noticed in the last few days at $199 shipped
You know, MF, the thing is this. I know I'll pay through the nose for an Aimpoint. However, I know that they'll take a lot of abuse. So, if I knew the Vortex would hold upt to hard use, I'd buy one to try. However, if it's just a big bust, I'm out $199 (less than the $299 MSRP) but still a couple of Benji's. So, even at $199, if it's a piece of junk, I've just wasted $200.

I'm not saying it is a piece of junk, but I just don't have any info, except from Vortex, that it isn't, either, if you get what I mean. That's why I said I don't want to be the "test dummy". I seriously doubt the MIL is using them, and unless some big city SWAT team, or High Risk Security Contractors come out and "swear by them", I don't want to be disappointed $200 worth. That's $200 that could have went towards an Aimpoint. (I'm partial to red dots). Plus I'm waiting to see how the new T2 that UWone77 previewed, will affect the price of the T1's and H1's.

Thanks,
FT

Computalotapus
8 June 2014, 15:38
FT I know one of the guys did a review of the original sparc. Was a good review. One of the reasons I bought a sparc. They have a lifetime no bullshit warranty. If its broke or not acting right, they will repair or replace it. And that lifetime warranty is transferrable.

mustangfreek
8 June 2014, 15:42
For just a range toy and not operator status the sparc seems like a decent choice

FortTom
8 June 2014, 15:56
FT I know one of the guys did a review of the original sparc. Was a good review. One of the reasons I bought a sparc. They have a lifetime no bullshit warranty. If its broke or not acting right, they will repair or replace it. And that lifetime warranty is transferrable.
I dunno, maybe I'll try one. It's for my "Voodoo Ultra Lite" but it's only 2.2 oz. heavier.

For just a range toy and not operator status the sparc seems like a decent choice
MF, basically, all my rifles are "range toys". However, they are all built with quality parts, to the point that I could choose any one of them, and feel confident in an apocalyptic scenario. But you have a point. The T1 is waterproof to 150 feet. That's cool and all, but I don't scuba dive, and am not a Navy Frogman, so I truly hope I don't find myself 150ft under water.[:)]

On the other hand, I don't want to drop my rifle, and pick up a non-functioning scope.

Something, I've always preached, more when it comes to hunting rifles, is that I'd rather have a great scope and a mediocre rifle. I can do things to accurize the rifle, but the scope is what it is, when you get it.

Maybe I'll find the review that Comp was talking about.

FT[:)]

Computalotapus
8 June 2014, 16:04
I dunno, maybe I'll try one. It's for my "Voodoo Ultra Lite" but it's only 2.2 oz. heavier.

MF, basically, all my rifles are "range toys". However, they are all built with quality parts, to the point that I could choose any one of them, and feel confident in an apocalyptic scenario. But you have a point. The T1 is waterproof to 150 feet. That's cool and all, but I don't scuba dive, and am not a Navy Frogman, so I truly hope I don't find myself 150ft under water.[:)]

On the other hand, I don't want to drop my rifle, and pick up a non-functioning scope.

Something, I've always preached, more when it comes to hunting rifles, is that I'd rather have a great scope and a mediocre rifle. I can do things to accurize the rifle, but the scope is what it is, when you get it.

Maybe I'll find the review that Comp was talking about.

FT[:)]

Here you go

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3413-Vortex-Optics-SPARC-Torture-Test-Review&p=31946#post31946

FortTom
8 June 2014, 16:35
Wow, just about everything but the "taped it to a claymore" test. Pretty impressive....

FT