PDA

View Full Version : Any Trap Shooters Here?

FortTom
7 June 2014, 21:02
After sitting on the bench for years, at several gun clubs, I was watching the guys and girls at my current club shoot trap.
I was always interested, tried it a couple of times, and really sucked at it. I was talking to a couple of guys at the club, and they seemed almost zealous convincing me that I should give it a serious try, and several of them offered me free instruction.

I scored a darned nice Baretta 390 Super Trap. Traded a G19 and a little cash for it. From what I see they go for, I think I got a heck of a deal. I figure I can get my money back out of it.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a real try this time, and take the guys who offered free instruction, up on their offer. I've done a lot of bird hunting, and have to say I suck at that too. Never been a good shotgunner. But it looks like so much fun, if one could actually hit anything.

Just curious if anyone else here shoots trap, what level are you shooting at, and whatever else you might want to share.

Thanks,

FT[:D]

Computalotapus
8 June 2014, 08:19
When I was in the military I did a lot of trap and skeet shoots at the Rod and Gun club. I had a Beretta Over and Under that I paid way to much for I am sure haha. I grew up duck hunting so it came natural to me. It has been a long time since I played with a shotgun tho.

FortTom
8 June 2014, 08:28
I've hunted Quail, Pheasant, Grouse and Dove. Wasn't very good at it. I don't like Duck, wild or farm raised, so I never tried hunting them. Same with Geese. I've been told, though, that shooting trap can actually screw up your bird shooting skills. Like I said I'm terrible with a shotgun, so things can't get any worse.[:)] I'm actually looking forward to getting some expert instruction, and see what happens, or if my trap gun will be up for sale at the end of the season.[BD]

FT

Computalotapus
8 June 2014, 09:10
Well we are headed up to the range. The Mrs. Is going to work on drawing from concealed carry and I want to work on transition from rifle to pistol.

Let us know how your shotgun lessons go haha.

mustangfreek
8 June 2014, 14:10
I used to shoot a lot of trap, using a old faithful rem 1100. I dont want it to come out wrong, but it just got to boring/easy after shooting so much. havent shot any trap or skeet in years and my oldest son shows interest in it, so thinking might venture back into it casually..

I also noticed lately how much shotgun shells have gone up since i used to buy them, about double since i really bought any, 10 years or so.

UWone77
8 June 2014, 14:13
I used to shoot a lot of trap, using a old faithful rem 1100. I dont want it to come out wrong, but it just got to boring/easy after shooting so much. havent shot any trap or skeet in years and my oldest son shows interest in it, so thinking might venture back into it casually..

I also noticed lately how much shotgun shells have gone up since i used to buy them, about double since i really bought any, 10 years or so.

You hit the nail on the head. Seems like Shotgun rounds have gone up quite a bit. I used to shoot a lot of shotgun when I first joined the Dept, but of course my interests leaned towards rifle as time went on. A few years back I got a basic Mossberg 500 to get back into it, and was planning on getting a 930SPX. I seem to remember shotgun ammo was a lot less expensive like you said. That's also one of the rounds our PD range doesn't stock for the patrol officers to shoot.

FortTom
8 June 2014, 15:43
UW & MF,
Even the guy's that shoot trap, that I know, don't reload like they used to. I guess the price of shot has skyrocketed, and it's just about as cheap to buy them (if you buy in bulk) than it is to load them, from what they're telling me. I've only reloaded metallic cartridges, but watching friends load shotgun shells, well it looks so much less involved.

Also, some of them are having a hard time, still, getting components. They tell when primers are available in bulk, they can't find powder, or this or that, and it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth, so they get together and try to order enough in bulk to get a great price, to last them all for the season.

I'm just going to buy a case (10 boxes) at a time, until I see if I can get the hang of it, and have fun doing it.

FT

GOST
8 June 2014, 19:27
I shoot some trap at the house, I'm just so so though. I use my Dad's A5, probably my favorite shotgun.

FortTom
8 June 2014, 19:47
I shoot some trap at the house, I'm just so so though. I use my Dad's A5, probably my favorite shotgun.
Dang, GOST,

You've got a trap range at the house? Where do you live, Graceland? Sorry, but us "poor Kentucky boy's" have to share a range with 400 more guys.... that's how I finally got into the new club... old guy's dying off, or people moving and 30 slots opened up. Filled in app, wrote check, got hazed verbally as to whether I was a good 'ol boy (not a felon or dope head) and got one of the slots..damn, I wish I could move in with you, it would be a heck of a lot easier....[:D]

FT[:)]

Jerry R
16 June 2014, 13:21
In the late 60's early 70's when in the military I shot a lot of trap at the Old Dominion Rod and Gun Club. Used a Marlin 120 pump with a 30" VR barrel - still have the old girl. In the 80's and 90's got into Sporting Clays and used a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U. Did fair at both, but I've always been a Joe Average at pretty much everything - never a medalist at anything.

Just remember --- in Trap the birds are always rising.

A lot of guys have a mechanical clay bird machine and shoot in the back yard - I did that too. That may be what Gost meant instead of a formal Trap range. But if not, I would love an invitation :P

FortTom
16 June 2014, 19:23
Me too! Heck if GOST has a genuine 5 station trap range on the farm, a totally realistic possibility, I think he should invite everyone here for the 2014 WEVO trap, sporting clays, and BBQ pig and beer invitational. O.K. GOST, give us the GPS coordinates, get that pig in the pit, and ice down that beer, and let's get everything going... P.S., if you're going to have beer, you might also consider a port-a-potty for Apre Shooting activities.[:D]

FT[:)]

GOST
17 June 2014, 02:06
Hehe it's just several machines that we setup on the farm to simulate trap for the ones who compete. It's not formal trap but it's as close we could get it. I don't compete I'm not good enough, but I do enjoy shooting with the guys who do. The range is actually very close to the house but I don't own a membership there, only shoot there occasionally with the guys from work on lunch. Mom's friend Holly is like a 5'10" Vietnamese woman that is ranked fairly high, she is by far the best of us that shoot at the house.

PS Dalmore is my drink of choice.

GOST
17 June 2014, 04:05
I haven't had the shotguns out that much lately due to being in the middle of hay bailing season. Mostly handgun training since I don't have to carry as much into the fields. The next time my friends call to take the trap machines out I need to check the dates to see if they've had a recent competition want to shoot with me to feel better about their abilities. I definitely don't set the world afire with a shotgun, but I'm practicing.

FortTom
21 June 2014, 15:52
In the late 60's early 70's when in the military I shot a lot of trap at the Old Dominion Rod and Gun Club. Used a Marlin 120 pump with a 30" VR barrel - still have the old girl. In the 80's and 90's got into Sporting Clays and used a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U. Did fair at both, but I've always been a Joe Average at pretty much everything - never a medalist at anything.

Just remember --- in Trap the birds are always rising.

A lot of guys have a mechanical clay bird machine and shoot in the back yard - I did that too. That may be what Gost meant instead of a formal Trap range. But if not, I would love an invitation :P

Jerry, although I've never been accused of being a "shotgunner" I do appreciate nice shotguns, especially O/U's. However, you go used (which there are a lot of good deals if one takes their time) it's hard to get an O/U for less than 1K and more realistically $1500 plus, for a decent entry level gun. Ruger Red Labels can be had for a grand, and nice used O/U's for $800 -$1000. I looked at a Baretta Silver Pigeon I at Dicks the other day, and entry level for that shotgun is $1695 (at least there it is). I did not realize that they (Beretta) has been making the Silver Pigeon for that long.

I'd like to get one in 12ga and 28" barrels for bird season this year. If anyone here is anti-hunting, don't worry, most of those birds are safe in the field with me.[:D]

I had neck surgery last fall, and got some plates and screws in my neck, and now I'm having problems with my right shoulder, front and rear, so I'm sticking with a Beretta S/A 390ST with a Super Trap barrel, and light 1 .oz's target loads until I find out what the problem is now. Getting to the point, I love an O/U shotgun, and shoot them, while not well, but they seem to point better than most other scatterguns I've shot. The Silver Pigeon, well, while the 12 ga. is not a "massive" recoil machine, being lighter and single shot (X2), will start to beat you up after 100 - 200 rounds, or more at a trap range.

Anyway, this being a forum with a mission statement dedicated to Tactical/LEO/MIL weapons, I think I might have taken this thread to far.

FT[:D]

avtech850
1 October 2014, 17:26
This is actually kind of my bread and butter. Shooting trap is the only way my wife will really go shooting with me so more days than not we are shooting trap and sporting clays. There is a really good course ten miles away from our house and a very good friend of her family has a private course built that is nicer than most golf course. I started off shooting with a Belgium built browning A5 and still shoot with it from time too time. When I earned my eagle scout my father bought me a ruger woodside o/u that just makes me smile every time I hold it much less shoot it. After I moved out on my own I sprung for a barretta 686 onyx and thought I was just the smoothest operator that over shot a course until I shot it and realized that Italian shotguns are made for short little fat guys and being a tall fat guy I couldn't hit the side of a barn if I was standing inside, my wife is absolutely amazing with it though. For the last few years I've been shooting a kreighoff k84 and absolutely love it. I could never afford to pay retail for one but the previous mentioned friend cut me a smoking deal on it and I haven't looked back since.

SINNER
1 October 2014, 18:25
Sporting clays. trap and wobble skeet rank very high on my list of fun time activities. And it gets you sharp before duck and goose season. Ruger Red Label over under and Benneli SBE2 are my usual choices. Using my VEPR12 on the wobble skeet stand was insane to say the least.

FortTom
4 October 2014, 18:58
Using my VEPR12 on the wobble skeet stand was insane to say the least.

Ha...ha..ha.. Sounds great, but we have a more "conservative" or old school bunch that using a Vepr12 for trap, skeet or 5 stand probably wouldn't go over to well here... I'd love to see someone try it though...[:D][:D]

hawzwood
4 October 2014, 23:40
I am not but would really like to learn the ropes.

Shift.Six
5 October 2014, 08:25
Sporting clays. trap and wobble skeet rank very high on my list of fun time activities. And it gets you sharp before duck and goose season. Ruger Red Label over under and Benneli SBE2 are my usual choices. Using my VEPR12 on the wobble skeet stand was insane to say the least.

This! But I only own an 870 😢

Really need to start saving for a good o/u

Gaspipeshooter
5 October 2014, 08:37

Nothing wrong with an 870 or 1100 for trapshooting. Some of the most accomplished trapshooters in the history of the sport shot them.

alamo5000
5 October 2014, 14:31
I love shooting the clays of all types.

I am by no means an expert but I do like to do it a lot. Usually I do it out in the back yard or a local cow pasture :)

If I were offering tips it would be to shoot the lowest bird first :) Practice leading targets (even just as a drill without even actually shooting)...just dry practice mounting (shouldering) your weapon and leading. Also study out (on paper) the geometry of flight patterns at your kitchen table. Once you get the concept of the angles down it becomes a lot easier. You gotta shoot where the bird is going to be at not where he just was.

As for gear, a properly fitted shotgun will make a WORLD of difference. An improperly fitted shotgun leads to a whole lot of frustration. It doesn't have to be perfect but it helps understand the basics of what you as a shooter should be doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLnGM3DXE0

FortTom
5 October 2014, 14:46

Nothing wrong with an 870 or 1100 for trapshooting. Some of the most accomplished trapshooters in the history of the sport shot them.

You're fine with an 870 or 1100. I use a Berretta A390ST with a Super Trap barrel. I take that barrel off and shoot game with the same gun and a 26" barrel. Lots of folks doing Trap are using the "under" single barrel type guns.
I see a lot of guys with 6K to 10K guns who aren't doing any better than those using Beretta's, Remington, and others. Also a O/U'S usually go two ways, cheap, and expensive then enough to buy a house with. Cheap O/U's are cheap for a reason. Unless you have a couple grand or more to spend on an O/U, just to try trap, your Rem 1100 is better quality than most O/U's in the same price range. If you find you really like it, then save 2K to the sky's the limit dedicated trap gun.

But for now, you're good to go.

FT

SINNER
5 October 2014, 15:46
Ha...ha..ha.. Sounds great, but we have a more "conservative" or old school bunch that using a Vepr12 for trap, skeet or 5 stand probably wouldn't go over to well here... I'd love to see someone try it though...[:D][:D]

We were burning their shells at a pretty good mark up so they didn't mind. Hahaha

Broke more clays and killed more birds shooting a 870 older than me than all my other shotguns combined. Only reason I retired the gun was as my father ages it's value to me skyrockets. Trigger time is trigger time.

Shift.Six
5 October 2014, 17:08
We were burning their shells at a pretty good mark up so they didn't mind. Hahaha

Broke more clays and killed more birds shooting a 870 older than me than all my other shotguns combined. Only reason I retired the gun was as my father ages it's value to me skyrockets. Trigger time is trigger time.

It is great for what it is, but I'm at the point where it just isn't the right tool for the job when playing faster clay games. Needing fast follow up shots for the doubles a pump isn't cutting it when I want to complete.

What's worse is I got to shoot the Beretta 692 Sporting... It's amazing 😀 and one will be mine one day.

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/lltek2002/media/05DBDFE3-FA4C-4B44-A179-00750F60FE68_zpsm4is7thl.mp4.html