PDA

View Full Version : OSS suppresser

tact
13 June 2014, 19:29
I tried a search here, so forgive me if I missed it. I am looking for anyone who may have had experience using the OSS suppresser on a piston rifle and/or with subsonic ammunition.

Thanks for your time.

tappedandtagged
15 June 2014, 17:43
No experience, but I follow Steve Reichert and Craig Sawyer on Facebook. One of them (don't recall which) recently posted about OSS Suppressors saying how they are the best and most advanced suppressors on the market.

GOST
15 June 2014, 18:11
Never handled one myself, but I've seen those vids from SHOT is them on the new HK.

jjl103
20 June 2014, 21:05
I'm still on the fence about these. I feel the marketing is a bit aggressive and caters to the "tacticool" crowd. I haven't done much research on them, but I definitely plan to see if they live up to their claims. My main turn off is the styling. I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber/stainless steel look of them.

UWone77
21 June 2014, 20:32
After watching the SHOT Show video, it's not clear how their suppressor is any different than your standard stacked baffle design. Are any of these out in the market yet and form 4 approved?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZZE6EBXbQZw

Slippers
21 June 2014, 21:12
I got to hang out with the OSS guys in the crazy Beyond clothing suite at the Encore for two nights while at Shot. They had multiple suppressors laying around for people to check out, and a couple HK uppers with the suppressors mounted. Unfortunately I didn't get to shoot one on range day, but I did get to talk to the lead engineer for a couple hours. His explanation was that the twisting, turbine like internals cause the gases to travel much further while inside the suppressor, instead of just having multiple chambers divided by baffles in a normal suppressor. According to him, it's also supposed to reduce the amount of gas that comes back into the upper, both from the gas tube and in the chamber.

There was a silent auction to benefit a charity for one of the suppressors, which I bid on several times through the evening. It went for way more than I could afford, though. Good for the charity, at least!

GOST
22 June 2014, 03:45
Nice explanation of how they work. Would definitely be cool if it really does reduce the amount of gas coming back thru the upper.

UWone77
22 June 2014, 23:16
Nice explanation of how they work. Would definitely be cool if it really does reduce the amount of gas coming back thru the upper.

Surefire made that same claim of less gas.

I can't tell one bit of difference between my Legacy Can and SOCOM can.

If anyone gets an OSS I'd love to see a review.

jjl103
23 June 2014, 08:08
Surefire made that same claim of less gas.

I can't tell one bit of difference between my Legacy Can and SOCOM can.

If anyone gets an OSS I'd love to see a review.

My LGS sells them. I can probably run in and rent a gun they have one on. The only downside to that is that they are an LWRCI retailer as well, and the rifle would probably be piston. I'll have to check to see if they have any semi-autos with an OSS too.

tact
24 June 2014, 14:16
My LGS sells them. I can probably run in and rent a gun they have one on. The only downside to that is that they are an LWRCI retailer as well, and the rifle would probably be piston. I'll have to check to see if they have any semi-autos with an OSS too.

I am told it will not work on mid length as the current model requires carbine length because of the 4.25inches of space it needs to come back over the barrel. They are however supposed to be releasing a flush mount July -ish.

Gaspipeshooter
14 August 2014, 05:08
I got to handle, (but not shoot), both a 7.62 and 5.56 model yesterday at a local dealer. They actually took one apart and allowed me to look over the pieces parts. The company is supposed to be in town in the relatively near future for a range day/test drive experience. I hope it is when I am in town to be able to go...

MoxyDave
14 August 2014, 16:23
My thought about these ... they look very heavy, especially with both parts installed. What did you think of the weight?

Gaspipeshooter
14 August 2014, 17:57
My thought about these ... they look very heavy, especially with both parts installed. What did you think of the weight?

I don't know the specific weight, but a good portion of it goes over the barrel before the threads engage. Therefore some of the mass weight is behind the muzzle of the existing barrel. It's not like the entire thing is hanging off the end of the barrel.

Gaspipeshooter
14 August 2014, 18:07
Good video with more detailed explanation of the theory behind the design as well as the "nuts & bolts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXMrvDU7-Q#t=292