PDA

View Full Version : Billet lowers....

Stickman
18 September 2008, 18:47
I think we can all agree that a lower receiver needs to hold the Fire Control Group, receiver extension, and magazine. As long as those parts are in spec, everything else tends to be a matter of personal preference.

I've got a few different billet lowers, and recently added another one to the collection. The Tactical Innovations T15BDX billet lower has got a good look, and just a hint of texture to its surface. In the below two different pictures, the lighting in one shows the surface a little more than the other. In real life, there isn't really all that much to notice, but its very subtly there.

I'll get up more pictures later after I drop in the parts, and see how it assembles. I think this lower is going to be dedicated as an extreme beater. I've been kicking around the idea of thrashing a billet lower to see how they hold up, and this might end up being the beast I do it with.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_8871%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Stickman
18 September 2008, 18:48
In the below picture, I edited out the serial number....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_8873%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Trace Rinaldi
18 September 2008, 21:36
Looks tough as a brick $hithouse! Very cool!

Cohibra45
19 September 2008, 05:18
Stick,

Looks very cool!!!!!!! I see that they bevel the inside of the trigger guard, but I can't see if they do the same to the outside of it??? That is the only thing I see that I would ask them to do.

Kelly (Cohibra45)

caporider
19 September 2008, 08:27
They don't bevel the outside of the trigger guard. This is one of the "constructive suggestions" I emailed to the company a while back. My T15BDX billet lower sits on my 6.5 Grendel precision rig right now, as I would not use it on a fighting carbine due to the sharp edges on the trigger guard.

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_5/65_range_1000.jpg

Uglyduck
19 September 2008, 14:40
That's a beautiful lower Stick. Let us know how it performs. I'm curious to know if it handles PMags well. It certainly rivals the SMOS lower but for 2/3 of the price. I may have to get one.

Stickman
19 September 2008, 20:48
That's a beautiful lower Stick. Let us know how it performs. I'm curious to know if it handles PMags well. It certainly rivals the SMOS lower but for 2/3 of the price. I may have to get one.

No problem, I'll let you know as soon as I assemble it and throw an upper on it. Inserting a PMAG in its unassembled form shows it to be free of restriction.

TigerStripe
20 September 2008, 21:25
They need to add a full auto or burst pictogram for posers like me. It does look sharp though.

TS

beagle
25 September 2008, 08:04
These lowers just recently came onto my radar. They seem to have a lot of nice features and great fit&finish.

Stick,
Would you happen to know (or be able to ascertain) if this lower is compatible with a Redi-Mag? I asked the good folks over at TacInnov, but they had no idea.

v/r,
B.

MadMax
25 September 2008, 08:16
Hey Stick,

New guy here(MadMax), you know the price of the Magpul or the TX15?

MadMax

beagle
25 September 2008, 08:21
Hey Stick,
New guy here(MadMax), you know the price of the Magpul or the TX15?
MadMax

The Tactical Innovations deluxe billet lower is $215 from the manufacturer.
They have 2 other options at lower price-points.

The Magpul lower can only be found on the secondary market.

v/r,
B.

TigerStripe
25 September 2008, 12:18
I think finding a Magpul lower will be almost impossible. I believe they dropped the lower as a project to allow them to catch up and keep up with other projects. I would imagine that ACR parts and UBR stocks would be at the top of the list currently.

TS

Stickman
25 September 2008, 13:50
I've not seen any of the Magpul lowers on the market (new or used). I've been offered some obscene prices, so I know that some people want them pretty bad.

Uglyduck
9 October 2008, 17:36
Stick you're a danger to my wallet. Thanks John and Rainier Arms for getting this to me so quickly. This was a purchase I certainly don't regret. It went together fairly easy, except for the trigger insertion. The trigger well tolerances were tight for my RRA 2 stage. I had to use a needle file to widen the well so the trigger would fit. A minor inconvenience. The rear pin detent capture screw was a great touch, it really made assembly less frustrating. Brand new PMags insert easily thanks to the flared magwell. They fit snug but drop free, contrary to another billet receiver I own. Its obvious some thought went into the design. A wonderful piece of kit!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/uglyfireduck/Cali038-1.jpg

Stickman
9 October 2008, 18:57
I like the layout and execution of that picture. :P

uspopo
11 November 2008, 05:42
Very nice lower. I just ordered a Dennys/GTS billet lower and realized that it was a Tactical Innovations lower for GTS..

Brew
16 November 2008, 17:31
The Tactical Innovations deluxe billet lower is $215 from the manufacturer.
They have 2 other options at lower price-points.

The Magpul lower can only be found on the secondary market.

v/r,
B.

Hello all,
Just stumbled across this fourm. Some very unusal and extremely nice images and info here. Thanks to the contributors.[:)]
Any idea if these Tactical Innovations lowers can still be found any where?
Thanks in advance for any and all help...

reiswigt
16 November 2008, 18:20
The Tactical Innovations lower can be purchased directly from Tactical Innovations, or Rainier Arms also has them in stock. A very nice item with a couple of nifty features.

Uglyduck
10 December 2008, 11:11
working on a review Stick?

10 December 2008, 12:41
Hello all,
Just stumbled across this fourm. Some very unusal and extremely nice images and info here. Thanks to the contributors.[:)]
Any idea if these Tactical Innovations lowers can still be found any where?
Thanks in advance for any and all help...
Looks like Rainier Arms is having them in stock right now.

Stickman
10 December 2008, 18:15
working on a review Stick?

I can do a review, but it would be a pretty simplistic one. Its a billet receiver that has a unique look, and is pretty well machined. The parts that matter function nicely, and there were no issues dropping in any of the parts.

Oddly enough, Magpul has released some pictures that look very similar to the above lower.

http://www.magpul.com/pics/mbus1.jpg

http://www.magpul.com/pics/mbus2.jpg

Uglyduck
12 December 2008, 07:10
Sorry Stick, I used poor wording. I should have said, how is the extreme beater test going?

Edit to add - It looks like Tac. Innovations is getting a little publicity with those new MBUS photos! That sure is a beauty!

reiswigt
12 December 2008, 08:39
FYI: Tactical Innovations has discontinued retail sales of receivers as of Dec. 8.

beagle
12 December 2008, 08:47
Well that's interesting, if not particularly happy news.

B.

Uglyduck
12 December 2008, 10:47
I'm guessing its because they can't meet the high demand right now.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ar15-receivers-c-359.html

Keebsley
17 December 2008, 19:29
That's a shame because I got the chance to finger one the other day at the local gun range. I might have to head down to where the shop is one day and check things out. Pretty odd that companies such as PWS, Tactical Innovations, Gemtech, Tactical Solutions and Blackdog are all located in Idaho.

Stickman
17 December 2008, 19:34
FYI: Tactical Innovations has discontinued retail sales of receivers as of Dec. 8.

Sounds like they are simply selling through their dealers, which I can understand. This keeps their items available, supports their dealer network, and eases up on their paperwork allowing them more shop time.

Stickman
17 December 2008, 19:37
Sorry Stick, I used poor wording. I should have said, how is the extreme beater test going?

Edit to add - It looks like Tac. Innovations is getting a little publicity with those new MBUS photos! That sure is a beauty!

I have not had a chance to use it for any testing at all, and its embarrassing to say that I haven't even done anything aside from dry fire drills with it.

Yes, they are getting some nice free publicity with those pictures, I liked the way that lower laid out with that upper, so it seemed like a logical choice for me to shoot the pics with that weapon. Evidently Magpul liked them as well. :P