PDA

View Full Version : Odin Works 16.1" SS Ultra Lite Barrel

Computalotapus
17 June 2014, 09:41
Looks like Odin Works (http://www.odinworks.com/) has released a new barrel as well.

The ULTRAlite 16.1 (https://www.odinworks.com/223_Wylde_16_1_Carbine_p/b-223-16-ul-ml.htm)" 223 Wylde barrels is extremely slim and only weighs 1lb 6.6oz!

223 Wylde is a hybrid of the 223 REM and 5.56. 223 Wylde has a chamber throat that is tighter than the 5.56 achieving better accuracy but still reliably functional with 5.56 ammunition.

All barrels include a low profile gas block.
Price: $270.00

Technical Specs
•Length: 16.1"
•Gas placement: Mid Length
•Rifling: Button 8 twist
•Weight: 1lb 6.6oz
•Made from 416 Stainless Steel
•M4 Feed ramps
•1/2-28 Threading

https://cdn3.volusion.com/hsktt.uqzet/v/vspfiles/photos/B-223-16-UL-ML-2.jpg

GOST
17 June 2014, 10:27
Looks to be a 0.750 wonder why not 0.625?

RiverRat
17 June 2014, 12:16
Looks to be a 0.750 wonder why not 0.625?

Im making a leap here, but it's probably because running a .625 gas block doesn't really save weight but limits procurement options. When you compare the combined weight of barrel and block in either diameter, it's pretty much a wash because almost every .625 block I've seen is really a .750 blank drilled out with a smaller hole.

From what I've seen, it's actually possible to find .750 blocks that weight less than any .625 blocks - I'm specifically thinking of Parallax Tactical's design. I THINK V7 is now making a thin-walled titanium .625 gas block with a riser to get the muzzle end of the tube at the correct elevation - but I haven't yet engaged them in discussions to verify the design.

With respect to the barrel specs, I'm glad to see another manufacturer playing in this space. I know I'm in the minority in saying this, but the lightweight 416SS, 1:8 twist barrel in .223 Wylde is my dream configuration for low-volume shooting. I think Odin hit a home run with this one - it's better (on paper) than Wilson Combat's version (5.56 NATO chambered and 3 oz heavier than Odin's design).

I need another 16" 5.56/Wylde AR pattern carbine like I need a hole in the head, but building an upper with this barrel is going to be VERY hard for me to resist.

edited: to correct possible sourcing option for a lightweight .625 gas block.

Computalotapus
17 June 2014, 13:09
Im making a leap here, but it's probably because running a .625 gas block doesn't really save weight but limits procurement options. When you compare the combined weight of barrel and block in either diameter, it's pretty much a wash because almost every .625 block I've seen is really a .750 blank drilled out with a smaller hole.

From what I've seen, it's actually possible to find .750 blocks that weight less than any .625 blocks - I'm specifically thinking of Parallax Tactical's design. I THINK V7 is now making a thin-walled titanium .625 gas block with a riser to get the muzzle end of the tube at the correct elevation - but I haven't yet engaged them in discussions to verify the design.

With respect to the barrel specs, I'm glad to see another manufacturer playing in this space. I know I'm in the minority in saying this, but the lightweight 416SS, 1:8 twist barrel in .223 Wylde is my dream configuration for low-volume shooting. I think Odin hit a home run with this one - it's better (on paper) than Wilson Combat's version (5.56 NATO chambered and 3 oz heavier than Odin's design).

I need another 16" 5.56/Wylde AR pattern carbine like I need a hole in the head, but building an upper with this barrel is going to be VERY hard for me to resist.

edited: to correct possible sourcing option for a lightweight .625 gas block.

V7 has their titanium gas blocks for the .625 and the .750 diameters. They are a nice option for light weight low profile gas blocks. I am considering one of their ejection port covers as well. If I was to get this barrel I would have to mock it up with the gas block supplied by Odin Works before I make a decision on purchasing a titanium one from V7. At $70 bucks I don't know if the weight savings is worth it.

RiverRat
17 June 2014, 13:12
V7 has their titanium gas blocks for the .625 and the .750 diameters.

Yeah - my question about the .625 V7 block is does it actually have a smaller OD than the .750 version, or did they do what almost everyone else has (just hog out a smaller hole from a .750-sized blank.)

GOST
21 June 2014, 05:39
Yeah - my question about the .625 V7 block is does it actually have a smaller OD than the .750 version, or did they do what almost everyone else has (just hog out a smaller hole from a .750-sized blank.)

I remember the first .625 GB I bought, I took it out of the plastic and put it up to a .750 and thought you lazy @&$#+/'s.