PDA

View Full Version : New At this please help

weaveand
23 June 2014, 22:20
I am new to "building" an AR15. I have upper all but complete. I installed the bolt today. I know that when you charge an AR, the bolt comes back, and then springs back forward once you press the bolt release. My question is, what causes it to spring back forward? I do not have a completed lower yet, that is my next purchase. Is the spring that causes it to come back forward in the lower, or am I missing something in the upper? Below is a list of all the parts I have into the upper. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but again I am new to this. Thanks

● upper receiver
● bcg
● charging handle
● Forward Assist Assembly
● ejection port cover
● 16" Barrel
● Free floating barrel nut
● Free float quad rail
● gas block
● gas tube
● crush washer
● muzzle break

camomike
23 June 2014, 23:21
This video is going to be a cut out of the inner working of the AR15. It shows the BCG charging the buffer and spring back into the extension tube. The spring then drives buffer back forward, which in turn pushes the BCG back into battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ocGn4LD6g

List of parts looks good to me.

mustangfreek
24 June 2014, 02:28
Everyone is a newbie at some point...[:D]

So it sounds like you have all the parts to assemble the upper? If so how did you get the list ? friend?

What brand/model parts do u have, will ne easier to help you out if we know wjat you got already?
Whats the gun , gonna be used for? Also how much are you willing to spend=budget?

There are a lot of ways to go about doing the lower, pic a brand and go for it , ( and please research some) have a shop build it, have a friend help you or be brave and watch videos and if your halfway mechanically inclined, you'll see the lower is much easier to put together then the upper is.

On the cheap and of decent quality PSA is a GTG budget oriented company with some good and "better" stuff..this page has many different lower setups, ranging from bare bones complete lowers for $160 bux and will get the job done , but again need to know what your after, parts you have...That way we can tell you how to spend your money..[:D]

here is the link to the PSA site and the lowers page, i have like many here ordered many things from them, i have yet to run any of their uppers or lowers, but reports are they are GTG

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers.html

Oh and welcome..[:D]

weaveand
24 June 2014, 05:49
My barrel I got from a friend for $150. He wasn't sure of the brand but paid around $200 for it when he got it. It is a 1/9 twist. I started off with an Anderson Stripped lower, and the BCG is Rock River. I know there are brands out there that have extreme quality products, but with that quality comes a price. And I am guessing that here in the AR world, it is just like everything else, and you get what you pay for. I figured for my first build though that I shouldn't buy the most expensive parts in case something went wrong. As far as my parts list, I got it off of a website, and I assembled the barrel myself through videos online. Thanks for your help!

weaveand
24 June 2014, 06:03
Oh and so far I have about $425 into my upper. I was hoping to build one for around $600-700, somewhere around that ballpark. I was looking at PSA before, but my local gunshop said that he is not a fan and said I should go with stag arms and CMMA lower parts kit. Is there issues with PSA? Or was he just trying to get me to buy a more expensive peice. (He does not carry PSA). Also, if anyone could give me their thoughts on polymer lowers vs aluminum that would be great!

tappedandtagged
24 June 2014, 08:18
Oh and so far I have about $425 into my upper. I was hoping to build one for around $600-700, somewhere around that ballpark. I was looking at PSA before, but my local gunshop said that he is not a fan and said I should go with stag arms and CMMA lower parts kit. Is there issues with PSA? Or was he just trying to get me to buy a more expensive peice. (He does not carry PSA). Also, if anyone could give me their thoughts on polymer lowers vs aluminum that would be great!

PSA, Stag or CCMG lower parts kits are all going to be about the same quality, as is the case with most mil spec parts kit. I would get the cheapest. Sometimes you do pay more for the brand.

As for a polymer lower, well, they are not as robust as an aluminum one. There are many reports of them cracking and breaking between the pistol grip and receiver extension. You can find blemished lowers (mil spec aluminum) for less than a polymer lower in most cases. In my opinion, if you're wanting to build an AR that is going to last, use a real lower made out of aluminum.

I will add a disclaimer to this: I have never used a polymer lower nor do I have any first hand information on it. But I have read enough on the AR/gun forums to see that they are not as durable as aluminum. Aero Precision has their stripped lowers for $80 (or $55 when they have blemished ones in stock). I'd get one of those and not worry about the polymer lower. Eventually, the poly lower will break. When it breaks will just depend on how hard you use it.

UWone77
24 June 2014, 10:20
Here's what I ask all new builders or buyers.

What are you planning to do with this rifle?

weaveand
24 June 2014, 11:53
I am in a state that I cannot hunt with a semi, so this would be just for shooting at the range every now amd then and having some fun. Max shot would be 200 yards

Calico Jack
24 June 2014, 13:00
If you do buy from PSA stay well away from the PTAC line. Here is a stripped lower that cost the same as the polymer lower you are looking at if you don't have a problem with small cosmetic blemishes. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/psa-blemished-safe-fire-lower.html

Brownells has how to videos on building a ar15 from the ground up. Use the clevis pin trick for the detent springs and build that part in a bag. Or buy these
http://www.ar15news.com/2014/06/24/new-iron-viper-pivottakedown-pin-detent-spring-combo/

Good luck. I would be assembling my first rifle today but I ordered the wrong length gas tube by mistake...

UWone77
24 June 2014, 14:43
I am in a state that I cannot hunt with a semi, so this would be just for shooting at the range every now amd then and having some fun. Max shot would be 200 yards

Sounds like you just need a plinker to have fun with then. You're really in the golden age of AR's especially with regard to design, availability, and price. If I was a new buyer to the AR platform, I would buy either a Colt 6920 or 6720. The 6920 is the standard M4 barrel, while the 6720 has the lightweight barrel. Although you can claim to get a "better" gun, Colt is still the gold standard of AR's. No one else is building them to the TDP. What does that mean to you in reality? Probably very little, but you can rest assured that Colt builds rifles correctly with the correct materials.

Right now you can get Colts for less than $900, and if you look around closer to $850. That's really unheard of, and really just a little more than what you originally budgeted for.

Anyhow, looks like you've already purchased parts for your build, such as the upper?

In that case, for the lower, I'd stick with an aluminum lower. For the prices these days, I see little value going with a polymer lower.

Most of the time for lower parts kits, I go with one without a trigger group such as the WOA one Weapon Outfitters sells:

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/lower-receivers-parts/lower-parts-kits.html

Then I'll buy my own ALG QMS or ACT trigger.

Make sure you buy a 7075 receiver extension and not a cheap $15-20 6061 extension. I know a lot of people sell "mil spec buffer tube" kits, but they are not all the same.

mustangfreek
25 June 2014, 03:16
Good info UW...

..I believe you asked me that same question a while back..lol....hence why i also asked..

Also i am thinking of grabbing one of these QMS trigger/LPK/grip kit sale From Umbrella corp. I am interested in possibly using this grip and already have a few other QMS triggers and need another. plus a LPK all for $64 shipped or the grip and QMS for $50 shipped...good price for the complete jit , anyone have any experience with UC LPK's etc..

https://www.ucwrg.com/materiel/promos-deals-and-after-school-specials/

camomike
25 June 2014, 11:45
Not sure if you saw the red barn armory sticker in my build thread. I went with them because you can custom tailor a lpk and upk with what you want in it. No "spare" parts for the bin. Also, RBA was sponsor of arpartsfinder.com- a Web crawler that got me through completing a build during the panic. They sell the B5 branded version of the umbrella grip.

My advice is find someone to look over the rifle once you build it out; but build it yourself. Your learn a lot of how the rifle mechanically functions that way. Can save your trip to the range of you are able to diagnose a problem and fix it on the spot.

GaSwamper
25 June 2014, 18:07
Not sure if you saw the red barn armory sticker in my build thread. I went with them because you can custom tailor a lpk and upk with what you want in it. No "spare" parts for the bin. Also, RBA was sponsor of arpartsfinder.com- a Web crawler that got me through completing a build during the panic. They sell the B5 branded version of the umbrella grip.

My advice is find someone to look over the rifle once you build it out; but build it yourself. Your learn a lot of how the rifle mechanically functions that way. Can save your trip to the range of you are able to diagnose a problem and fix it on the spot.

I like the RedBarn build yourself as well and service has been good. They just had CMC drop in triggers fathers day weekend for around 130 bucks. I agree some nice rifles can be had decently priced such as the Colt that yes has been a standard for years. I also feel building your own is a special experience in its self and will make you much more familiar with your rifle. A buddy to help is always best and good forums such as this can be invaluable.

camomike
25 June 2014, 20:12
i have like many here ordered many things from them, i have yet to run any of their uppers or lowers, but reports are they are GTG

The CAR upper I have is theirs. Apart from it being a bit over gassed(even for a CAR) and having to polish my feed ramps I love the damn thing. And it only cost me $229 a couple years back on a Black Friday score. This was before they started selling the PTAC line. Which BTW is that Parallax Tactical selling through PSA?