PDA

View Full Version : Sports Cards

UWone77
29 June 2014, 09:04
Any of you guys collect Sports Cards back in the Day?

Just rediscovered my Stash in the garage. My brother and I had countless hours of fun when we were kids and thought we were going to be rich someday... Checking the Beckett Guide every month to see if anything went up a nickel. Those were the days. [BD]

I guess it was like holding on to Enron Stock.

Might have to post a few pics later on.

GOST
29 June 2014, 10:54
I collected mostly football cards.

tact
29 June 2014, 11:47
Yes I have quite a bit in storage.

mustangfreek
29 June 2014, 12:28
Any of you guys collect Sports Cards back in the Day?

Just rediscovered my Stash in the garage. My brother and I had countless hours of fun when we were kids and thought we were going to be rich someday... Checking the Beckett Guide every month to see if anything went up a nickel. Those were the days. [BD]

I guess it was like holding on to Enron Stock.

Might have to post a few pics later on.

haha...i was a card junkie also. and had so many, like 10's of thousands..same thing little card shop around the corner where we hung out and traded , etc.. I sold all mine years a go for a song..they have died so much in the last 10 years..

UWone77
29 June 2014, 13:00
I remember my holy grail card as a 13 year old was a Donruss 1986 Jose Canseco Rookie Card.

I traded my 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. for one, thinking that Jr. would never have the HR power.

Oops.

GOST
29 June 2014, 13:06
My best card was a Terry Bradshaw rookie.

eldogg
29 June 2014, 13:27
I didn't collect them, just clipped them in my bike spokes:)

Ride4frnt
29 June 2014, 18:08
the extent of my sports card collection was the entire Fleer 97 series. Only reason I have the whole series is because it took me months to get the elusive 1997 Fleer Alex Rodriguez card when he was with Seattle.

tact
29 June 2014, 20:08
the extent of my sports card collection was the entire Fleer 97 series. Only reason I have the whole series is because it took me months to get the elusive 1997 Fleer Alex Rodriguez card when he was with Seattle.

I still have an authentic ARod Mariners jersey in plastic because I thought he was going to be something great. About as great as all my McGuire crap now.

UWone77
29 June 2014, 20:14

1997 Fleer... I think I have that Alex Rodriguez Card somewhere. My memory is fading, I used to know what every year looked like.

Tact,

That reminds me, I was a huge Big Mac Fan. He still had big time HR power even if he wasn't juicing.

Ride4frnt
29 June 2014, 21:09
This made me look around for what cards I have still around the house, which really isn't much at all. Pretty bad we all thought these little pieces of cardboard would be worth something. Anyways here's some of what was left at the house, the rest are with my brother or in storage. Sold the ones that were worth anything a few years back.

Being a Mariners fan as a child I had a lot of those cards (mentioned hunting that 97 fleer ARod), I've since switched my affiliation to the hometown Orioles, but the M's still hold a place in my heart. You can see from my avatar I'm still an avid Seahawks fan.

Here's a few Griffey's I had still

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/25D65721-7822-4E24-BFE0-74964D647A1E_zpsai1f7hvk.jpg

And a 95 Fleer Alex Rodriguez rookie card

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/6AE23BD4-917A-4225-9E29-12C24B22A06F_zpsprf5plmc.jpg

And two Jeter Rookies and a signed Brady Anderson

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/A55C8DA7-CF4E-4A52-83B8-34AD7B554AE6_zpskcjxpf4i.jpg

I'm sure you guys have much larger collections as I was just a child in the 90's when these were popular. I guess that's not really a bad thing looking back on how much money was put into them.

I have a LOAD of basketball cards too, but I think those are worth about the least.

mustangfreek
30 June 2014, 02:02
haha flashback seeing those.....griffey and A-rod..when they were in their prime...

UWone77
26 July 2014, 14:28
haha flashback seeing those.....griffey and A-rod..when they were in their prime...

You know my brother and I were on the phone talking about our favorite players back in the day. Griffey in my opinion fell off the map when he left Seattle and was injured the rest of his Cincinnati Career.

I then had a wild idea to buy a box of 1990 Leaf Baseball on eBay.

2 hours later, wife yelling about the mess later, I finally completed my Series I & II sets I started back 24 years ago.

mustangfreek
26 July 2014, 15:27
^^ haha..your like a little kid...

RobSWVA
1 October 2014, 16:11
eh, it will be just like way back in the day...they will end up being worth quite a bit once they are 40+ yrs old. all it takes is the fad of collecting coming back around, and all those cards that 'aint worth s**t' getting tossed cause they werent worth a buck now, will be in demand later on. I had tons of cards growing up; football, baseball, hockey, basketball, nascar...if they made a card, I collected em. bastarding older neighbor kid broke into our house when I was in high school and swiped all my binders and boxes. After that I gave it up, but had tons of good ones. jordan rookies, aikman rookies, all the baseball rookies, etc etc

iowa hawkeyes
1 October 2014, 18:58
Pretty sure I've got a box full somewhere around here. Haven't looked at them in years, mostly late 80's early 90's cards

GOST
1 October 2014, 20:26
My best card was a Terry Bradshaw RC. My favorite card was my 2nd year Gale Sayers.