PDA

View Full Version : Brownell's Gun-Kote???

Gaspipeshooter
30 June 2014, 18:48
Anyone have any experience with it? A company with a page I "like" on Facebook did a torture test of it against other heat cure coatings and now uses KG Gun-Kote, (assuming it is the same stuff?), exclusively for their gun finishes. I ordered a can of the FDE and OD in matte, (thinking it would be flat, but apparently it is different, as they now are offering "flat"). Not sure yet what the curing process will do to the final appearance of it, but right now I'd call the OD I sprayed a "satin" finish. For the learning experience, I sacrificed a basic carbine I keep around for plinking and such. Broke it down and sprayed it with my Paasche airbrush today. I used Stickman's "sticky" as a basic guide, but ended up totally disassembling the gun, down to the last roll pin, because oil kept seeping out of the FA roll pin hole and the front pivot pin detent spring hole. It will actually end up being a "two-tone" gun when I am done, as certain parts will remain black/phosphate finished, (stock, grip, buffer tube, FSB, and flash hider). Thinking of doing a 12" Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS Series handguard as well, so that the black/phosphate is just an "accent". I hope it looks as nice as I imagine it in my mind. Unfortunately, I didn't even think about photos until after everything was done, so no pics of the prep work. I'll post a photo of the finished product.

UWone77
1 July 2014, 11:49
GunKote and KG Gun-Kote are the same thing. My understanding is that KG just teamed up with Brownells for their own version.

GunKote in my opinion is okay stuff, a buddy of mine finished his gun with it and it looked decent, but compared to getting it professionally done is no comparison in my opinion.

Then again, you can't argue, it's much cheaper, but in this case, I think you get what you pay for.

GOST
1 July 2014, 14:12
I've had GK and it's okay, better than Duracoat. Neither are close to Cerakote.

Gaspipeshooter
1 July 2014, 17:01
I've had GK and it's okay, better than Duracoat. Neither are close to Cerakote.

Interestingly, the company I referred to in my original post found that the Gun-Kote held up to their torture test better than Cerakote.

UWone77
1 July 2014, 17:12
Interestingly, the company I referred to in my original post found that the Gun-Kote held up to their torture test better than Cerakote.

What company? Does it have a vested interest in Gun Coat? Who did the Cerakote work for their test?

Gaspipeshooter
1 July 2014, 17:42
What company? Does it have a vested interest in Gun Coat? Who did the Cerakote work for their test?

The company is Weapon WORX in Arizona. They do not have a vested interest in either company. They do their own work. They also have an extensive video documentation of their testing on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/WeaponWorx Scroll back to January.

GOST
2 July 2014, 04:08
Interesting that's the only test I've seen that shows GK to be better than CK. In my experience with both I'd take CK by a mile. The only down sides to CK is price and prep. CK's high price is due to the prep, and all your Cerakoters are not the same. My boy Matt Nichols is the best Cerakoter in east TN by a mile.

Gaspipeshooter
2 July 2014, 04:58
Interesting that's the only test I've seen that shows GK to be better than CK. In my experience with both I'd take CK by a mile. The only down sides to CK is price and prep. CK's high price is due to the prep, and all your Cerakoters are not the same. My boy Matt Nichols is the best Cerakoter in east TN by a mile.

Have you seen other side by side comparison tests Gost? I'd be curious to take a look at them. I don't have any first hand experience with Cerakote, but would like to learn more.

GOST
2 July 2014, 06:58
From my experience both are good, they clean easy but the Cerakote is more durable over time. There are a lot of test out on different coatings, some are bias and some are good. What at first sold me on Cerakote was I was at a shop that told me to try and scratch up their demo rifle, it held up a lot better than both Duracoat and Gunkote I've had. Cerakote also seems to go on thinner if your worried about tolerance stacking. Not saying that Gunkote is bad, just not as good as Cerakote. To me Gunkote is easier to apply and cheaper. Cerakote durability also depends a lot on who is doing the job.

Gaspipeshooter
2 July 2014, 08:02
Thanks for the feedback Gost.

UWone77
2 July 2014, 08:45
GOST is correct when he says it depends on who is doing the cerakote work. Is it a professional outfit that knows what they're doing? Or someone working out of the garage.

I've seen both good and bad cerakote jobs and they aren't created all the same. I've had several cerakoted guns, and over time, if a sharp edge hits the finish, it will chip, but that's the same as when an anodized finish gets dinged.

Last cerakote job from Rainier Arms:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2041_zpsea48844a.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2041_zpsea48844a.jpg.html)