PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Can Input Please

tappedandtagged
30 June 2014, 19:36
I'm beginning my search for a 22 can. I'm not going to get in any kind of hurry and plan to weigh my options and research until early September when I'll likely buy one (if all goes as planned).

So far, I'm fairly sure I want steel baffles so I can use an ultra sonic cleaner on them and for the extra durability. I'm currently looking at the YHM Stinger and SWR Spectre II. The SilencerCo Sparrow is a bit more than I want to spend, but if it's worth the extra, I can swing it.

I have a 5.56 can already and plan to use this for only a 22LR. I have no plans to buy a 17HMR or 22 mag (actually sold my 17 due to ammo costs and from lack of using it, don't miss it).

So, what's everyone here running? How do you like it? And what should I be looking for in a 22 can?

***Update on post #13***

mustangfreek
1 July 2014, 02:30
Im tagging along here also as im still not in the silencer club yet, but have read a lot. I have a savage fv-sr bolt action 22, and M&p 22 rifle and pistol that i want to start out playing with

Number 1 question is always how much are you wanting to spend?

I have looked at a few including the new huntertown SS or TI can. Also the SilencerCo Spectre II can,

Short video from mac about the huntertown can and it has links to their site. http://www.thebangswitch.com/new-guardian-22-suppressor/

Now i said im a newbie and others with more knowledge will chime in , im sure.

Jerry R
1 July 2014, 09:11
I have an AAC Prodigy that I have been very pleased with. Only one ear works, so it's hard for me to compare - but the can works well and does not affect POI

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Ruger%2022-45%20with%20Tac-Sol/IMG_2319Tac-SolSuppressedFramedWatermarked_zps8b120957.jpg~ori ginal

MoxyDave
1 July 2014, 10:07
I used a Gemtech M4-02 (5.56) can for .22lr for a long time before I bought a dedicated .22lr can. Worked great but obviously was much heavier than a dedicated .22lr suppressor. It was super dirty all the time and the threads got buggered very quickly. If I didn't frequently clean the threads it would be very difficult to install and remove, causing wear on both the suppressor and rifle threads.

22lr leaves a lot of lead deposits so be sure to fire some 5.56 through it periodically - this will vaporize most of the lead and clean out the suppressor.

I saved up and got a couple SilencerCo 22Sparrow suppressors. Best rimfire can on the market, bar none.

Once you've seen how dirty they get you will appreciate how easy the 22Sparrow is to clean.

I use a solution of vinegar (acetic acid) and hydrogen peroxide to remove the lead deposits. 60/40 Hydrogen Peroxide to Vinegar, put it in a quart mason jar and drop your disassembled suppressor parts right in. Let it sit for an hour or so and watch the lead disappear into solution [:)] This creates a Lead Acetate solution, which is very dangerous because lead in this form can pass through your skin right into your bloodstream. So use gloves and be super careful.

Afterwards, dump some table salt into the solution to create Lead Chloride, which is less permeable through the skin. Label it "battery acid" (you are in effect creating a battery with this procedure) and drop it off at the local hazmat collection site.

.22lr suppressors are a lot of work - more than you'd expect, but boy they sure are fun.

Save your money and get the 22Sparrow. It's worth the extra coin.

UWone77
1 July 2014, 13:10
I used a Gemtech M4-02 (5.56) can for .22lr for a long time before I bought a dedicated .22lr can. Worked great but obviously was much heavier than a dedicated .22lr suppressor. It was super dirty all the time and the threads got buggered very quickly. If I didn't frequently clean the threads it would be very difficult to install and remove, causing wear on both the suppressor and rifle threads.

22lr leaves a lot of lead deposits so be sure to fire some 5.56 through it periodically - this will vaporize most of the lead and clean out the suppressor.

I saved up and got a couple SilencerCo 22Sparrow suppressors. Best rimfire can on the market, bar none.

Once you've seen how dirty they get you will appreciate how easy the 22Sparrow is to clean.

I use a solution of vinegar (acetic acid) and hydrogen peroxide to remove the lead deposits. 60/40 Hydrogen Peroxide to Vinegar, put it in a quart mason jar and drop your disassembled suppressor parts right in. Let it sit for an hour or so and watch the lead disappear into solution [:)] This creates a Lead Acetate solution, which is very dangerous because lead in this form can pass through your skin right into your bloodstream. So use gloves and be super careful.

Afterwards, dump some table salt into the solution to create Lead Chloride, which is less permeable through the skin. Label it "battery acid" (you are in effect creating a battery with this procedure) and drop it off at the local hazmat collection site.

.22lr suppressors are a lot of work - more than you'd expect, but boy they sure are fun.

Dave is spot on with the .22 cans and lead deposits. I only shoot jacketed .22lr through my suppressor.

I own an AAC Aviator. It's an okay can, and really I should have done my homework before buying this particular suppressor as it's a sealed .22 can. I got a smoking deal on it, which is the only reason I overlooked the sealed part.

I also have an AAC Element 2 in NFA jail right now. Hopefully it'll be released in the next 2 months. It's one of the pricier .22 suppressors, but it's also one of the lightest and quietest.

.22 suppressors are just so much fun, maybe not too practical, but throw one on an M&P22 or a Ruger 10/22, it's a great time for any shooter.

tappedandtagged
2 July 2014, 08:42
I've looked at the Sparrow, but with the extra price over SilencerCo's Spectre, I dismissed it. Guess I'll re-visit that one. It's only about $100 difference. In all reality, I'll probably have a list of cans that I'd be willing to buy, go to the two dealers in driving distance from me and buy whichever one they have in stock! I did the Form 3 transfer last time (and the Gov shutdown delayed that by a good length). After that debacle, I will probably just stick to whats in stock and can be e-filed on that day.

According to the below linked youtube video from SWR, the Spectre II slightly out performs the Sparrow. However, it was by only 2.2 dB which in all reality is not enough to notice. But, what advantages does the Sparrow have over its cousin that cost $100 less and is also made from steel components instead of aluminum? The only real advantage I see from the specs is that the Sparrow is nearly an inch shorter. Both appear easy to clean from the youtube videos out there.

In all, I'm not going to argue over $100 on such a large investment, but I both were found in stock and both perform very well, what advantage do I have with the monocore Sparrow versus the "click together assembly" baffle stack on the Spectre? Both are backed by SilencerCo's warranty as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_xsaJ-iyM

UWone77
2 July 2014, 08:51
Honestly, I'd probably do the same thing, just buy what is in stock. I've shot 1/2 dozen .22 cans and to the shooters ear without earpro, they all sounds about the same to me.

Just pick what's in your budget.

Also make sure you post your review... we need more inputs in the suppressor arena around here.

MoxyDave
2 July 2014, 11:21
But, what advantages does the Sparrow have over its cousin that cost $100 less and is also made from steel components instead of aluminum? The only real advantage I see from the specs is that the Sparrow is nearly an inch shorter. Both appear easy to clean from the youtube videos out there.

The Sparrow is stainless, it's shorter, and the Multi-Part Containment or whatever they call it makes it very easy to disassemble even when it's really dirty. The outer shell keeps the lead inside the core so the tube remains clean. You just push out the core, pull off the side plates and bingo. Not sure about the Spectre, but some baffle-type designs can become basically welded together and are very difficult to get apart after they get leaded up.

I have no personal experience with the Spectre, but I spent a lot of time looking around before I chose the 22Sparrow.

All modern .22lr cans are going to sound about the same to your ear. A few dB will make zero difference in the real world. They're all hearing safe, they're all fun as hell ... just up to you how much time you want to spend fooling around cleaning instead of shooting.

Keep in mind that this is something you will likely have for a lifetime. Getting rid of NFA items isn't as easy as listing them on ArmsList [:)] For me, spending the extra money seemed like a good choice.

DMViergever
2 July 2014, 19:41
Love my Griffin Armament cans.

tappedandtagged
2 July 2014, 21:12
Moxy Dave, I had previously been concerned about the baffle "welding" to the sleeves. Have you had any issues with that! And what's the highest estimated round count you've gone between cleanings you gone?

Also, Uwone77, I'll have to remember to do a review of my Specwar 556 now that I've had some range time with it. I really do need to get over my feelings of photo inadequacy. All of you photographers make this country boy feel ashamed!

MoxyDave
3 July 2014, 11:44
[QUOTE=tappedandtagged;56085]Moxy Dave, I had previously been concerned about the baffle "welding" to the sleeves. Have you had any issues with that! And what's the highest estimated round count you've gone between cleanings you gone?

Never been a problem. They just pop right off. I typically go at least 1,000 rounds between cleanings.

1Adam12
10 July 2014, 01:18
I have fired a bunch of .22 cans, and to my ears they all sound pretty close to the same.

tappedandtagged
29 July 2014, 12:33
Well.... Yesterday my brother in law and I drove an hour to visit a Class III shop. We were able to demo a few cans, but sadly they didn't carry any SilencerCo/SWR products. My brother in law went ahead and bought a Huntertown Guardian SS. I held out buying one still wanting a Spectre or Sparrow. An acquaintance of mine has his SOT (albeit across the stateliness). I spoke with him and he recommended a friend of his in my state.

I just got off the phone with that dealer. He doesn't stock anything as he just started, but said he could get me a SWR Spectre II for $349. So.... I asked him to place the order with his distributor who has one in stock. Now I wait for the Form 3 at which time I'll be able to send in my form 4.

Alas, the wait begins again. In the meantime, I need to buy a threaded 10/22 barrel.

Das Jared
15 September 2014, 16:57
You picked an outstanding can.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

xxspudxx
18 September 2014, 17:58
Love my Spectre II. You will be very pleased with your purchase.

Ranger3579
19 September 2014, 00:14

Spot on w his advice!
We own an SilencerCo 22Sparrow and use it on an sig 1911 22lr. Love the fact that the outer tube slides free of the debris, thus cutting down on wear. The monocore baffle is contained within 2 metal shell halves and then the tube slides over and a cap tightens everything down! When you have to wait forever on a stamp and $200 on top of that every little detail counts and that was a big factor in our decision. Very happy with the performance, size, weight and looks.
The 22lr sparrow imho is the smartest decision for an 22lr suppressor!
The only downside too this one would be, it def. is not rated for 5.56/.223 so I would not recommend firing 5.56 thru it for any type of "baking" for a cleaning process. Stick w the 60/40 hp vin solution or I personally use froglube, when it came out of the box everything except the o rings were properly froglubed, now cleanup is a breeze w some froglube spray cleaner and a standard mil spec toothbrush :) .

Happy shootin!

yamma
22 September 2014, 19:43
I have a sparrow and a warlock II. Both work great but the warlock weighs half as much so it I use it on my pistols and the sparrow stays on the rifles. Warlock and sparrow are same can just different material and thread-end cap. Silencerco is great to deal with as well. I've broken my warlock twice due to improper barrel threading on an upper and a lousy barrel on an m&p22 pistol. Both times they fixed it quickly and without hassle. The first time I had to send it in the second time I just sent the endcap back and they sent me a new one. Then ups lost it and they overnighted me a replacement for the replacement. I also had the pouch for my sparrow break the day I got it home and they sent me a replacement for that as well. All in all great cans and customer service as well.

RMAdventure
25 September 2014, 13:35
I have a Spectre II and really enjoy it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

toolboxluis00200
2 October 2014, 15:54
i have a gemteck OUTBACK II i use it mostly on my Savage Mark II bolt rifle

Ryo
3 October 2014, 19:47
AAC's Element 2 is a pretty awesome can. First round pop is practically nonexistent. It's definitely better than my old Gemtech Outback II which has a louder first round pop. I heard the Sparrow has a louder first round pop than the Element 2 but I haven't compared them.

Definitely the sparrow is much easier to disassemble over the Element 2.

toolboxluis00200
4 October 2014, 08:17
AAC's Element 2 is a pretty awesome can. First round pop is practically nonexistent. It's definitely better than my old Gemtech Outback II which has a louder first round pop. I heard the Sparrow has a louder first round pop than the Element 2 but I haven't compared them.

Definitely the sparrow is much easier to disassemble over the Element 2.
i use CCi Quiet ammo no pop :P

mustangfreek
4 October 2014, 17:32
Anyone using the AAC Pilot 2?

Spectre 2?

Huntertown guardian SS or TI ?

I am so close to pulling the trigger..ready to buy a trust...which for some reason this giveaway is making me wait..just incase i am lucky to win one of the trust setups...Anyways..

Jmz5
5 October 2014, 06:33
Here is another vote for the Spectre 2.

mustangfreek
7 October 2014, 02:33
Need to eat .. or need a can......hummmmm..

JFQuest
7 October 2014, 10:32
Well... finally time to start collecting my stamps. I set up my trust last month, and as long as it is in stock I am going to start the paperwork to get a Warlock II today! Then, as the $$ comes in for my birthday and Christmas from family, I'll look at getting a few more in the process. My overall plan is for (3) cans total: .22, .30, and pistol.

mustangfreek
8 October 2014, 03:01
Back to this...

For people with a spectre 2, did you run into any problems on your hosts for it, with the threading?

tappedandtagged
8 October 2014, 11:18
According to the certified letter tracking number, the NFA received my paperwork yesterday for my Spectre II. I'll let you know in 9-12 months if I have any thread issues.

mustangfreek
9 October 2014, 04:31
Congrats on the purchase....Im jealous..

Also have heard paper form 4's are down to around 5-6 months ...