PDA

View Full Version : DIY accessories

Ride4frnt
2 July 2014, 15:28
Anyone here into making their own accessories? Ive been thinking about trying some things out lately, not necessarily to save money, but for the enjoyment of making something myself and using it.

2 things immediately came to mind: a rifle sling and a belt.

I purchased plenty of paracord and adjustable straps and all of the metal hardware needed to make myself a single point sling for ~$17, and that will be my project for this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted on the final product.

Now for the belt, I priced scuba webbing and nylon webbing for buckle attachment. Total price for all the materials to make that would be ~$20. Not too sure I'm going to go through with this one yet because of the need to hand stitch the scuba webbing (sewing machine not quite strong enough to stitch double layer scuba webbing) but I still may try it. Worst that can happen is it not work and I'm left with some materials to use for something else.

What have you guys made for yourselves?

Computalotapus
2 July 2014, 16:57
Accessories not much. I do paracord stuff and actually last year sold enough at a craft fair to purchase the wife's G19 Gen 4.

I mess around with kydex as well. The initial investment was around $600 for tools and scrap material to learn with. We will see if it pays for itself here soon, the first paid for holster will be made this weekend. I am more gearing this towards ppl that shoot 2-gun / 3-Gun style competitions using HSGI mini drop leg panels and tek-lok strips to secure it to the molle webbing. But I think I have a decent OWB design for people that just want something on the belt.

For you guys that get to keep your facial hair I have some really cool beard oil and mustache wax recipes if you are into that kinda thing...( for you slick faced guys... I am sorry the burden of manhood was to much for you hahahaha )

Ride4frnt
2 July 2014, 17:35
Accessories not much. I do paracord stuff and actually last year sold enough at a craft fair to purchase the wife's G19 Gen 4.

That's a very good idea. We have all sorts of craft fairs around here. Maybe if I enjoy doing this stuff I'll buy enough materials to make a few things and sell em.

Computalotapus
2 July 2014, 18:16
That's a very good idea. We have all sorts of craft fairs around here. Maybe if I enjoy doing this stuff I'll buy enough materials to make a few things and sell em.

you can make bracelets but honestly you can package the material needed to make the bracelet and printed instructions on how to make the instructions and sell them for the same price.. save yourself some work.

FortTom
2 July 2014, 18:47
Comp

What kind of crafts did you make with para cord, besides bracelets? That's pretty interesting....

FT

Computalotapus
2 July 2014, 19:12
Comp

What kind of crafts did you make with para cord, besides bracelets? That's pretty interesting....

FT

Key Fobs, lanyards, germ bombs, bracelets, dog collars, leashes,

Germ Bomb
http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/1389004_237701523052601_210651455_n.jpg

Slippers
2 July 2014, 19:30
My friends call me the "closet seamstress" since I sew quite a bit of my own gear. If you only consider the materials cost...well yeah, it's way cheaper. But if you consider the time involved, it's not worth it at all compared to getting paid for a normal day job and simply buying the gear ready-made.

Here are a few of my creations (sorry for the hideous lighting):

http://i.imgur.com/jrY16qv.jpg

There's a cylindrical 12" x 6" poly-filled bag which I use for high power as an ankle bag in kneeling position, and as a front bag for prone (not for high power of course, and usually on top of something else, like a backpack, depending on the height). It's also a damn good pillow, and weighs 4.5 oz total, despite its size.

Also a smaller flat rectangle 4" x 6" poly-filled bag which is a good rear rest depending on the position.

The top sling is a copy of the Proctor WOTG sling. Seriously the easiest sling to make, as it literally has one stitch and the hardware is easy to find.

The bottom sling is hard to see, but it's a copy of the Blue Force Gear Vickers/Victory sling. Adjusts the same way using a captured front slider, which was actually the hardest thing to find.

The magazine pouch was by-far the hardest thing to sew, and took a decent amount of measurement, making a pattern, and revising. It has a pair of malice clips on the back, and you can stack another magazine pouch on the front. I'm actually kind of proud of that one, as in person it looks as good as my Tactical Tailor pouches.

Anyway, like I said before, it's not worth it from a time perspective. I just enjoy making this stuff, and I only make things I actually use. The waifu loves the fact that I'm handy with a sewing machine, too!

FortTom
2 July 2014, 19:51

Germ Bomb
http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/1389004_237701523052601_210651455_n.jpg

Wow, I've never seen those. What a good idea. Skeeter/Bug juice in one, Purell in another for use after skinning squirrel, rabbit, and dressing birds in the field. Hang 'beeners off of belt/game pouch. Maybe you can start a factory....[:)]

FT

bzdog
2 July 2014, 19:55
I made some keymod panels from G10.

-john

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/03/enebajav.jpg

bzdog
2 July 2014, 20:01

Nice!

-john

Computalotapus
2 July 2014, 20:03
I made some keymod panels from G10.

-john

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/03/enebajav.jpg

Those rail scales are sick. I got some homemade micarta sitting down in the shop might have to try it

bzdog
2 July 2014, 20:17
Micarta might give some nice grip.

-john

Ride4frnt
2 July 2014, 20:22
Awesome stuff guys! I wouldn't do this to try and make a living from, or even to try and turn a profit. I just like using my hands and making something that I'll use. Maybe make a few for friends or something, but nothing commercial.

Speaking of, if you guys are into some light reading, I suggest a book called "shop class as soulcraft." It's written by a motorcycle mechanic and deals with the challenges and the fulfillment of working with ones hands.

FortTom
2 July 2014, 20:23
The Micarta, while not my thing, is amazingly slick and innovative! [adore] Very cool, but now the "copy cats" are already in their garages cutting away... ;) Just kidding.. but really, what a cool idea, haven't seen anyone else doing it.

FT[:D]

UWone77
2 July 2014, 20:28

Germ Bomb

That's an awesome idea to carry hand sanitizer.

Computalotapus
3 July 2014, 05:07
Awesome stuff guys! I wouldn't do this to try and make a living from, or even to try and turn a profit. I just like using my hands and making something that I'll use. Maybe make a few for friends or something, but nothing commercial.

Speaking of, if you guys are into some light reading, I suggest a book called "shop class as soulcraft." It's written by a motorcycle mechanic and deals with the challenges and the fulfillment of working with ones hands.

Been looking for a good book to read and the description sounds just like me. Pulling it down from Amazon now.

The Micarta, while not my thing, is amazingly slick and innovative! [adore] Very cool, but now the "copy cats" are already in their garages cutting away... ;) Just kidding.. but really, what a cool idea, haven't seen anyone else doing it.

FT[:D]

I got into the micarta because I wanted something unique for a knive. Every now and then the wife will stop and grab some bright colored fabric item at the goodwill store for me to cut up into strips and stack together. I think for a railscale black denim will do just fine and provide a nice texture.

That's an awesome idea to carry hand sanitizer.

Great part is they are refillable. Kids carry them on their backpacks, wife has one in her purse, I have one on my backpack, and there is one on the range bag.

My friends call me the "closet seamstress" since I sew quite a bit of my own gear. If you only consider the materials cost...well yeah, it's way cheaper. But if you consider the time involved, it's not worth it at all compared to getting paid for a normal day job and simply buying the gear ready-made.

http://i.imgur.com/jrY16qv.jpg

There's a cylindrical 12" x 6" poly-filled bag which I use for high power as an ankle bag in kneeling position, and as a front bag for prone (not for high power of course, and usually on top of something else, like a backpack, depending on the height). It's also a damn good pillow, and weighs 4.5 oz total, despite its size.

Also a smaller flat rectangle 4" x 6" poly-filled bag which is a good rear rest depending on the position.

The top sling is a copy of the Proctor WOTG sling. Seriously the easiest sling to make, as it literally has one stitch and the hardware is easy to find.

The bottom sling is hard to see, but it's a copy of the Blue Force Gear Vickers/Victory sling. Adjusts the same way using a captured front slider, which was actually the hardest thing to find.

The magazine pouch was by-far the hardest thing to sew, and took a decent amount of measurement, making a pattern, and revising. It has a pair of malice clips on the back, and you can stack another magazine pouch on the front. I'm actually kind of proud of that one, as in person it looks as good as my Tactical Tailor pouches.

Anyway, like I said before, it's not worth it from a time perspective. I just enjoy making this stuff, and I only make things I actually use. The waifu loves the fact that I'm handy with a sewing machine, too!

You want to barter? I wouldn't mind a single point sling that will slip into a Magpul MOE stock :)

Ride4frnt
10 July 2014, 08:48
Finished my single point sling last night. All in all I like it. It's comfy, is adjustable to fit ANYTHING I could be wearing ( I'm not a big guy), and most of all I enjoyed making it. I'll post pics in a bit.

Uffdaphil
10 July 2014, 10:08
This isn't my original idea, but can't remember where I saw it. Heavy duty tie wrap as a cat-tail. Piece of fishing gear sold in England.
I had a 3-gun CT that looked elegant and worked okay. Mine looks ugly and works better. Quicker to grasp and superior leverage make for faster transition.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/uffdaphil/image-23.jpg (http://s150.photobucket.com/user/uffdaphil/media/image-23.jpg.html)

UWone77
10 July 2014, 10:27
That cattail looks really good. Reminds me of a new universal product. It's about time someone came out with an affordable cattail. That DIY one though, looks like it has a lot of leverage!

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/c54b70ee1de0296cef360b581adc986a_zpsa0d25a09.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/c54b70ee1de0296cef360b581adc986a_zpsa0d25a09.jpg.h tml)

Ride4frnt
10 July 2014, 11:47
For my single point paracord and webbing sling I started with 50' of cord, 25' of each color, and the strap and hardware.

Paracord: $5.39/100ft x2
Strap and hardware: $10.24 including shipping for a grand total of $21.02, and I have enough of each color to make 3 more slings, so any additional slings will only cost the strap and hardware plus shipping.

Strap and metal hardware came from strapworks.com using code AR15 for 10% off your entire order.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/006fbc7e-b993-47d1-9686-882e4f18c948_zps0e9c5754.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/11FE32B3-F76A-4947-A71F-E5F939E9C201_zpsfgk1h7da.jpg

If anyone is interested in making one I can message you the links for the things that I bought to make it.

Computalotapus
10 July 2014, 12:28
That sling turned out pretty good.

Ride4frnt
10 July 2014, 13:05
That sling turned out pretty good.

Gonna do one in desert camo now for my brother. Few things I would change about it after the first go'round. Mainly id use a 1" ring instead of 1.5" and I'd use 2 HK snaps so I could make it convertible 1 to 2 point. Gonna work a nice sling up with a different weave for my bolt gun too. It's a pretty fun hobby, too bad I'm late to the show.

Computalotapus
10 July 2014, 13:19
Gonna do one in desert camo now for my brother. Few things I would change about it after the first go'round. Mainly id use a 1" ring instead of 1.5" and I'd use 2 HK snaps so I could make it convertible 1 to 2 point. Gonna work a nice sling up with a different weave for my bolt gun too. It's a pretty fun hobby, too bad I'm late to the show.

Do a king cobra weave add some thickness to it :)

Ride4frnt
10 July 2014, 13:43
Do a king cobra weave add some thickness to it :)

This one is wider than it seems, about an inch. There are 6 strands underneath the weave. I was thinking a double cobra weave for my bolt gun. May go back and do a king cobra over this.