PDA

View Full Version : Another Build, LOLWUT?!

Soisauss
4 July 2014, 22:12
Alright gang!

So I guess I can start another build. Long story short, when my LEO buddy built my first ever AR, he used mainly high quality parts and components and I gave him a budget of $2,000 that's including all mags, optics etc etc (so actual rifle costs was roughly about $1,700-1,800). Well at the time of the build, he used CMT lower and Aero upper because CMT has yet to release their upper, well now they did and I have since replaced that upper to matching CMT's.

This means I have a free floating upper and what kind of person would I be if I didn't get a matching lower......and VOILA!!! I ordered a aero lower when I was working the pistol build and the 16" build.

This build is going to be a 18" SPR build (a true one since my M16A4 DMR Mod don't truly qualifies for one - at least not in this current generation :P)

And this will most likely become a WEVO Dubbed build. :P and will probably be a long term build (resisting my utmost urge to start on a .308 as aeroprecision has a sale going, $308 to my hands is too my to resist too!!)

The AP set.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/BluFlare089/Firearms/WEVO%20build/20140705_000719.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/BluFlare089/media/Firearms/WEVO%20build/20140705_000719.jpg.html)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUICK UPDATE to the Build thread.

So no, I haven't even left the stage of this 18" SPR build yet because, well, because.

However i did managed to slide in on the Aeroprecision .308 sale a few weeks back and picked up this receiver set and fell in love the moment I opened the box. Couldn't resist the $275 price tag for a extremely high quality machining and beautification set.

This set, I'm thinking of turning it into a 18" SPR as well, since I plan to build a SR25 Clone using Palmetto States .308 set.

Now part hunting for black friday!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/BluFlare089/Firearms/308/20141110_161815.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/BluFlare089/media/Firearms/308/20141110_161815.jpg.html)

GaSwamper
5 July 2014, 03:16
Awesome. A great place to be, a receiver set and nothing but possibilities. Of course you know first off I'll vote for a 6.8. Do you reload any, this would open the door to wildcats.

Uffdaphil
5 July 2014, 05:52
This would be my direction. For so many reasons, tax stamps will never be in my future.

[URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/uffdaphil/media/imagejpg1-13.jpg.html]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/uffdaphil/imagejpg1-13.jpg[/URL

UWone77
5 July 2014, 19:30
You know, I know that Sig Brace is popular, but for so many reasons as you put it, it's a terrible "stock" and will never be in my future... marketing genius by Sig though, they can't sell them fast enough.

Soisauss,

So I'm guessing you have all of your long range needs met? Enough SPR type builds?

Enough 16's?

In that case a shorter barrel with a tax stamp or the above mentioned Sig Brace/Pistol maybe in your future.

I guess you have to figure out what's lacking first.

Computalotapus
5 July 2014, 19:53
If you have the long range stuff covered and you don't want to get the tax stamp you can always play around with the fun rounds. 458 Socom, 50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8.. or maybe a pistol build in your favorite pistol caliber. Maybe build a dedicated 22 plinker, I know you can pick up a M&P 15-22 for $550ish.

Uffdaphil
5 July 2014, 20:06
All of my "many reasons" are nanny state restrictions on SBRs. But based on personal use and many contented users, it's a stretch to call the SB terrible. It's plenty stable and has a decent cheek weld. Not too pretty and no quick variable length of pull are the only significant deficiencies I am aware of for a civilian. Do I prefer my CTR and Sopmod? Of course, but the minor cost in utility in short barrel applications is worth it for the freedom gained for many of us.

When the SB15 first came out there was a chorus of "Stupid, Ridiculous, Terrible idea". Not so much anymore since real world experience countered the labels. Calling it a compromise you are not willing to live with is the respectable argument.

UWone77
5 July 2014, 20:11
All of my "many reasons" are nanny state restrictions on SBRs. But based on personal use and many contented users, it's a stretch to call the SB terrible. It's plenty stable and has a decent cheek weld. Not too pretty and no quick variable length of pull are the only significant deficiencies I am aware of for a civilian. Do I prefer my CTR and Sopmod? Of course, but the minor cost in utility in short barrel applications is worth it for the freedom gained for many of us.

When the SB15 first came out there was a chorus of "Stupid, Ridiculous, Terrible idea". Not so much anymore since real world experience countered the labels. Calling it a compromise you are not willing to live with is the respectable argument.

Ahhhh, I just noticed Twin Cities, so I assume you're in MN, which explains the SBR thing.

Stocks are so subjective to the user, so what is decent for you, is terrible for me. I guess I can't get comfortable with it. I've tried to like it, but it just doesn't work for me as a cheek weld. But I am glad there are options out there for people in non-free states. I keep going back to NFA should be abolished and give me my SBR over the counter please.

Uffdaphil
5 July 2014, 20:19
Amen to that, brother. And when are suppressors going to be recognized as a noise pollution issue here ? I want to can up in the worst way.

UWone77
5 July 2014, 20:25
Amen to that, brother. And when are suppressors going to be recognized as a noise pollution issue here ? I want to can up in the worst way.

I'm not obviously familiar with the politics of Minnesota, but I'm kind of surprised that it's not a free state. All the states around you are. For states that are non-NFA friendly, I would suspect the usual offenders, NY, CA, MA, CT, NJ ect... with the rest of their draconian gun laws, but Minnesota of all places eh?

Uffdaphil
5 July 2014, 20:51
Our newest Senator is AL FRANKEN! We are boo-hoo Blue in Mpls-StP and in the NE Iron Range. Add in some election fraud and a flood of dependent immigrants and the Progs reign is secure. Surprisingly SBRs are still allowed for now, but not cans. The struggle is eternal.

Soisauss
5 July 2014, 21:31
You know, I know that Sig Brace is popular, but for so many reasons as you put it, it's a terrible "stock" and will never be in my future... marketing genius by Sig though, they can't sell them fast enough.

Soisauss,

So I'm guessing you have all of your long range needs met? Enough SPR type builds?

Enough 16's?

In that case a shorter barrel with a tax stamp or the above mentioned Sig Brace/Pistol maybe in your future.

I guess you have to figure out what's lacking first.

Umm, as far as long range, only have the A4 set for long range, was planning to do a pseudo Mk12 Mod clone (same pseudo clone with the A4), can't hurt with a 18". As far as SPR type builds, I cannot fathom what else I can build it into. 2 16"s with a pending standard M4A1 config soon, i believe that's more than enough.
SBR is a definitely must, but have yet to read up on how the process goes in Indiana, which I guess I can do since that is the ONLY thing in terms of configuration that has not been built yet haha.

If you have the long range stuff covered and you don't want to get the tax stamp you can always play around with the fun rounds. 458 Socom, 50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8.. or maybe a pistol build in your favorite pistol caliber. Maybe build a dedicated 22 plinker, I know you can pick up a M&P 15-22 for $550ish.

Comp, I haven't gotten into reloading yet, just been collecting brass every time I go to the range. With those "off" calibers, ammo is a big concern since I don't reload. Pistol caliber is defintely on my hotlist, but I;m reserving that caliber for either the Double diamond receiver or JP rifles receiver.

I guess I got some thinking to do....bleh lol

MoxyDave
6 July 2014, 13:49
Save your money. Don't do it. Or go buy ammo instead and go shooting. I guess I've reached burnout wrt building ARs [:)]

UWone77
6 July 2014, 16:47
Save your money. Don't do it. Or go buy ammo instead and go shooting. I guess I've reached burnout wrt building ARs [:)]

I'm with Dave, as un-sexy as it is, I would concentrate on buying more ammo and shooting vs building more guns.

Sounds like you're happy with what you have so far.

Judicator
6 July 2014, 16:54
^-- this is some serious crazy talk. I love building.... My bank account don't. Then on the other hand silly to build them and not have money for ammo. Once my SBR is done I'm done for awhile myself.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

MoxyDave
7 July 2014, 09:53
Haha I know how it is. For me it's an OCD thing; if I have 50% or more of the parts I need, I had to keep going. So I quit buying parts and now I'm just spending time shooting.

Once I tried all the things I was curious about, I realized that I only need a couple good quality guns and a shitload of ammo. Time to work on a different skill set now ...

Soisauss
10 November 2014, 20:23
new toy added to the OP :P

if lazy, here it is..

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/BluFlare089/Firearms/308/20141110_161815.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/BluFlare089/media/Firearms/308/20141110_161815.jpg.html)

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 20:35
new toy added to the OP :P

if lazy, here it is..

Firearms are not toys!

Soisauss
11 November 2014, 09:08
I guess we have varying definitions between you and I? :)

GOST
11 November 2014, 13:48
Nice looking set, looking forward to see the finished product. It needs to be Cerakoted Kikkoman brown.

Pyzik
11 November 2014, 14:07
Man, I am taking notes!
I am just not a good AR builder. A year and a half to build a pistol... LOL

I am with MoxyDave. I keep buying ammo and range time.

FWIW, I call my guns toys too.

GOST
11 November 2014, 14:44
Man, I am taking notes!
I am just not a good AR builder. A year and a half to build a pistol... LOL

I am with MoxyDave. I keep buying ammo and range time.

FWIW, I call my guns toys too.
I'm in the same boat, last build took me almost 2 years. The shops around here don't stock many parts, so every time I order something my buddies end up wanting it. Then I end up trading with them for ammo.

Soisauss
11 November 2014, 17:30
Nice looking set, looking forward to see the finished product. It needs to be Cerakoted Kikkoman brown.

Working on my logo :p

Yeah, I'm currently stock piling ammo at the moment since I have no decent range within 1 hour limit from my house.

And because my other hobbies (cars and pc) are on extensive hold, I cansplurge a bit more. Car parts or pc parts aren't cheap..about as expensive as this hobby........lol