PDA

View Full Version : DRY OR WET

eldogg
7 July 2014, 17:01
How to you run your NIB bolts carriers ?

mustangfreek
7 July 2014, 17:07
New gun i have been keeping a good coat of minty froglube on it, dont know if its needed or not, but figured a new gun for a couple hundred rounds, it is not gonna hurt anything, will run less down the road and see how far it will

FortTom
7 July 2014, 17:50
Very little, if any.

FT

UWone77
7 July 2014, 18:07
I always run it wet. I don't however, re-lube them while they're in storage like I do with some other rifles.

I guess it's out of habit, but since I lube the parts that get metal to metal contact like the charging handle to the upper, I might as well put some lube on the carrier. The lube doesn't adhere well to the NiB or it's mainly lubed on range day.

FortTom
7 July 2014, 18:53
...... The lube doesn't adhere well to the NiB or it's mainly lubed on range day.

That's what I experienced, when I first started using them. I read all the hoopla about how many rounds you can shoot a NiB and not melt your gun..etc..etc, but I started off cautiously. Then I realized that all I was doing was slinging CLP all over the place. I don't know if my method of just using a very thin film is best practice, or not, but I've not noticed any appreciable wear caused by under lubing it.

I do hit the CH as you do, and a drop or two here and there.

FT

GOST
7 July 2014, 18:54
I run mine sloppy wet. I'm an over luber, mine is dripping with slip 2000 when it goes back into the upper.

Aragorn
7 July 2014, 19:38
I do inside the upper and the charging handle. BCG gets a light application and then wiped off after several minutes. I do make sure to leave a light coat on the gas rings though.

MoxyDave
7 July 2014, 20:40
I use normal lube, but it just blows off the NIB anyhow, especially with a suppressor. After the first mag it's all but gone.

RiverRat
7 July 2014, 22:34
I won't run any firearm moving bits completely dry, even if the parts are coated.

The NIB or nitride BCGs get less lube than the uncoated ones for sure, but I still hit the carrier, bolt, inside of the upper and changing handle with a very light film or sheen (depending on oil/lube). Been trying Froglube these days (requires a pretty complete cleaning/overhaul to get started) and I've kinda liked the paste version so far.

Uffdaphil
8 July 2014, 03:36
I slop the Slip on my Fail Zero based on the argument of "Pascal's Wager". In a nutshell - can't hurt, might help.

Pyzik
8 July 2014, 06:28
I lube mine as I would any other AR. Though as others have said, I noticed pretty quick it doesn't stay lubed well.

Only issues I've had was with PMC Bronze and I think it was the ammo.

Jerry R
8 July 2014, 07:14
I run mine wet - all treated the same. Old habits die hard.

FortTom
13 July 2014, 14:19
I run mine wet - all treated the same. Old habits die hard.
Jerry, I bet you're still using the original cleaning kit they gave you in boot camp....just kidding[:D]

Pyzik
28 July 2014, 11:05
Went to the annual picnic & shoot with my local org (Michigan Gun Owners), ran my NiB'd BCG dry just to see how it would act...
Ran the following without hiccup:
PMC Bronze .223
Tula steel .223
Unknown brown box of 5.56
Federal XM193 5.56
Unknown XM855 5.56

I don't plan on making it a habit to run dry but nice to know it worked fine.

Naytwan
28 July 2014, 14:30
I lube mine semi wet after cleaning but I don't lube between range trips. The lube just ends up creating a carbon sludge on the carrier.

gatordev
28 July 2014, 15:45
I lube mine semi wet after cleaning but I don't lube between range trips. The lube just ends up creating a carbon sludge on the carrier.

I think it really depends on the type of lube and how useful it can be. I ran my MK18 upper with a WMD BCG and some Slip 2000 oil (not the EWL...Slip sent me the wrong stuff a few years ago and I used it a little bit). If I ran that suppressed, it wouldn't make it much past 200 rounds without needing more oil. With Slip 2000 EWL (which is what I normally use), it keeps on going. The sludge just indicates the lube is still there, which is a good thing.

Naytwan
28 July 2014, 16:18
I think it really depends on the type of lube and how useful it can be. I ran my MK18 upper with a WMD BCG and some Slip 2000 oil (not the EWL...Slip sent me the wrong stuff a few years ago and I used it a little bit). If I ran that suppressed, it wouldn't make it much past 200 rounds without needing more oil. With Slip 2000 EWL (which is what I normally use), it keeps on going. The sludge just indicates the lube is still there, which is a good thing.

I use mpro7 lube.

Sent from my big @$$ phone

gatordev
29 July 2014, 10:21
I use mpro7 lube.

I'm not really passing judgement on your lube. My point is that not all lubes are the same and just because one person (with NiB) says they don't need it doesnt' mean soemone using another kind (even made by the same company, as in my case) has the same results, especially after addin a suppressor.

Naytwan
29 July 2014, 10:22
I'm not really passing judgement on your lube. My point is that not all lubes are the same and just because one person (with NiB) says they don't need it doesnt' mean soemone using another kind (even made by the same company, as in my case) has the same results, especially after addin a suppressor.

Suppressor, I wish. I'm in California.