PDA

View Full Version : Sheri Johnson leaves, Tim Dillon joins Noveske Rifleworks

UWone77
9 July 2014, 15:35
I found out about this several days ago, but it's still sad to read in print.

From our friends at Gear Scout (http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2014/07/09/sheri-johnson-leaves-tim-dillon-joins-noveske-rifleworks/?repeat=w3tc):

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/NOVESKE-500x130_zps4727facb.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/NOVESKE-500x130_zps4727facb.jpg.html)

Noveske Rifleworks announced the arrival of Tim Dillon as their new President and Chief Executive Officer this week just as longtime Noveske 2IC Sheri Johnson quietly left her position as the rifle and firearm part manufacturer’s general manager.

Among other positions, Dillon spent 20 years at Brownell’s, leaving as their director of operations in 2008 and was the president and CEO of STI International from 2010 until 2014.

“Not only does he bring extensive knowledge of business within the firearms industry, he observantly respects and understands the history of Noveske,” said company owner Lorina Noveske about Dillon. “Mr. Dillon possesses a character that will perpetuate the unique quality and culture of this company, and will capture the enthusiasm of our wonderful customer base.”

Johnson joined Noveske in 2004. She was promoted to general manager in March, 2013 during a restructuring of the company following the untimely death of Novekse Rifleworks LLC founder Johnny Noveske in January, 2013.

Johnson leaves Noveske to start a new enterprise, EraThr3 with former Noveske Rifleworks president Sterling Becklin and Jason Hulst, a former designer with Disney and a custom car maker. EraThr3 will be a lifestyle company producing products that embrace firearm culture without the tactical edge.

“I could never have left that place not knowing that it was in good hands,” said Johnson, “that place is too precious to me; it’s been my life’s goal and I’ve pumped my soul into that place.”

She characterizes her departure in personal terms. “I miss the garage days,” Johnson said, referring to the early days at Novekse. She said she hopes starting her own company will bring that excitement back to her.

“With Dillon coming on board it’s a great time for me to have a fresh start,” Johnson continued. “He has all new perspectives and ideas that I think are going to take [Noveske] places it’s never been to before. And, it allows me a clean break to do what I’ve always wanted to do; own and operate my own business on my own terms.”

Dillon’s prior experience running Brownell’s and STI International will serve the growing company well.

“I knew shortly after Lorina Noveske and I talked of bringing me on board, that this is a company that understands and shares my ideals of quality manufacturing and superior customer service,” said Dillon. “I feel honored to be a part of the Noveske Rifleworks family, and very proud to have the opportunity to bring this company to continued levels of success.”

Dillon takes over the Noveske brand as the company continues to grow and adapt to a changing customer demographic. Noveske’s success was built on a foundation of technical innovation demanded by military and law enforcement customers, but that reputation has brought with it a new, much larger customer base made up of firearm enthusiasts.

Noveske Rifleworks, formed by John Noveske in 2001, is known for its rifles that feature an extended life competition grade barrel, improved 5.56mm chamber, KX3 muzzle device, the Switchblock gas block system and the NSR lightweight rail system.

GOST
9 July 2014, 16:54
Company is going through quite a bit of changes. Good luck Sheri, hope to see EraThr3 on WEVO soon.

UWone77
9 July 2014, 21:03
Company is going through quite a bit of changes. Good luck Sheri, hope to see EraThr3 on WEVO soon.

One change I know is happening... they are shipping out all those stripped Gen 3 receivers I saw collecting dust when I was there. Rainier is supposed to get 98 of them.

1Adam12
10 July 2014, 00:54
I'm new to the board, so those of you who think Noveske can do no wrong will have to excuse me, but what is it that a guy from Brownells (warehouse work), and a few years at a 1911 shop is going to bring to an AR15 company? A healthy company doesn't get rid of the person running things to bring in a guy with no experience. I know Noveske is a sponsor here, so maybe someone can fill me in on what I'm missing. Thanks.

GOST
10 July 2014, 01:48
They'll never be able to replace John, but I wish them the best of luck.

GOST
10 July 2014, 02:23
One change I know is happening... they are shipping out all those stripped Gen 3 receivers I saw collecting dust when I was there. Rainier is supposed to get 98 of them.

Yeah I saw those up on RA.

mustangfreek
10 July 2014, 02:35
Well hope all goes well into the future for noveske..

Yeah I saw those up on RA.

I did also, sold out now.

Hmac
10 July 2014, 03:53
IMHO, "corporate restructuring" was inevitable. They needed a CEO, one that could address their issues, and new CEOs typically want to build their own team. This could be good for Noveske, a company that started in a garage and was built on personality and charisma of a small number of people, or moving it more mainstream might end up being a bad thing. Time will tell.

UWone77
10 July 2014, 20:20
I'm new to the board, so those of you who think Noveske can do no wrong will have to excuse me, but what is it that a guy from Brownells (warehouse work), and a few years at a 1911 shop is going to bring to an AR15 company? A healthy company doesn't get rid of the person running things to bring in a guy with no experience. I know Noveske is a sponsor here, so maybe someone can fill me in on what I'm missing. Thanks.

I have no idea who Tim Dillon is or what he did or did not do for Brownells, but I've met and spent time with Sheri. She's a good talent, and it's sad to see her go. I wish Noveske nothing but success, I hope they "turn it around" if that's what was needed. All the complete rifles/uppers I own from Noveske are from when John was still running the show. If they continue to make quality products, I will buy more.

Stickman
11 July 2014, 19:01
1Adam- GOST nailed it when he said that NO ONE is going to ever going to be able to replace JOHN NOVESKE. It was, is, and will always be his company, regardless of who is brought it to replace him.

The iconic image of John shooting out in the mountains is what I see in my mind every time I hear "Noveske".

GOST
11 July 2014, 22:55
Saw Tim's pic with Lorina and I believe John would at least approve of his beard.

n4p226r
12 July 2014, 09:31
one thing is for sure. i don't care what kinda tattoo's this Tim fellow has, i don't want to see pictures of them/him in a bubble bath

GOST
12 July 2014, 09:47
True true

Bimmer425
12 July 2014, 18:46
I own a couple of Noveskes. Honestly, the QC seems to have gone down the toilet since John died. Why was Noveske so successful and sought after before? I mean a lot of AR's are built to a high standard nowadays, a lot more people are offering double chrome lining, but what always set them apart was QC. Attention to detail, and customer service. All have taken a dive. I hope that Noveske pulls itself out of the tail spin and comes up with some better stuff because stuff like the Gen 3 doesn't seem to offer anything more than the Gen 2, except for more cashola and cerakote.

GOST
16 July 2014, 02:13
http://www.recoilweb.com/dillon-at-noveske-2-weeks-in-46995.html

GOST
16 July 2014, 02:31
I own a couple of Noveskes. Honestly, the QC seems to have gone down the toilet since John died. Why was Noveske so successful and sought after before? I mean a lot of AR's are built to a high standard nowadays, a lot more people are offering double chrome lining, but what always set them apart was QC. Attention to detail, and customer service. All have taken a dive. I hope that Noveske pulls itself out of the tail spin and comes up with some better stuff because stuff like the Gen 3 doesn't seem to offer anything more than the Gen 2, except for more cashola and cerakote.

I own some builds with Noveske lowers and other pieces, most were purchased before John's passing. Noveske did have some hiccups transitioning to Gen 3. I am one of the customers that purchased a Gen 2 during this transition that had issues. Noveske stepped up to the plate and went the extra mile to right their wrong. Now I'm feeling ya on the price of their new receivers, felt like inappropriate things had been done to me when I heard the price of both the upper and lower. In their defense trying to replace John who had obtained well deserved legend status in the AR world is impossible, and there has been some hiccups. In my personal experience with them they went the extra mile to make it right.

tac40
19 July 2014, 05:44
Good luck Sheri.