PDA

View Full Version : .300 blackout

mustangfreek
16 July 2014, 03:34
So i know quite a few like and shoot the blackout round and i am slowly warming up to it, for something in the future, will eventually have to build a 16" BO, just another excuse for another rifle..lol

Anyways i want hear peoples recipes for subs and supers, but i wont have a can for a while so mostly interested in lighter grain plinker loads.

So What
-Bullets
-powders
-oal
-chrono numbers

Is LC brass the best to convert, anything and everything, etc....Im new to the blackout round, but not reloading............Go !!!

Battle Cock
16 July 2014, 06:19
i wont have a can for a while
Same here, and that is the only reason I don't have a 300 blackout yet. But that also means I don't have any recipes to share.

mustangfreek
16 July 2014, 16:37
Well share away..[:D]

Just looking for general,info, im not stupid and i do work up my own loads, but i am new to this caliber.

looks like 110-130 gr are the majority for supers and even 147/150's

Ride4frnt
16 July 2014, 17:18
Interested in this thread. I don't have any recipes yet as I'm still shooting up all the factory loads I've accumulated. I have a 16" noveske barreled blackout I put together.

I'm running a Wolff xp spring and t2 spikes buffer. So far i haven't found a factory load it hasn't ran. Never shot subsonic though. I built it as an alternative to the 6.5 and 6.8 (since standard ar components work with no special bolts, etc) to shoot deer.

One day I'll take pics of firearms not laying on my bed...one day. The blackout is the bronze one.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/42716E78-9A87-4E88-B0D4-7B4F6DE8F806_zpsezymbn2v.jpg

mustangfreek
17 July 2014, 02:20
Looks like a nice build. so the 16" blackout has ran good for you huh..cool..

pistol length gas setup?

regular gas block or adjustable?

Gas port size?

Ride4frnt
17 July 2014, 07:48
Looks like a nice build. so the 16" blackout has ran good for you huh..cool..

pistol length gas setup?

regular gas block or adjustable?

Gas port size?

Yes, pistol gas. Non adjustable. Not sure on port size, whatever noveske uses from the factory. Got a sweet deal on this barrel from Precision Firearms (local dealer, awesome to work with) and couldn't pass it up.

UWone77
18 July 2014, 07:01
Occasionally, I'll buy some ammo from a local guy, but he never has subsonics, I guess 220gr bullets are still next to impossible to find. 115gr is abundant though.

If you plan to reload for subsonics, it might be difficult to find bullets.

Then again, you don't plan to get a suppressor, but everyone says that... in the beginning.

Ride4frnt
18 July 2014, 12:53
Occasionally, I'll buy some ammo from a local guy, but he never has subsonics, I guess 220gr bullets are still next to impossible to find. 115gr is abundant though.

If you plan to reload for subsonics, it might be difficult to find bullets.

Then again, you don't plan to get a suppressor, but everyone says that... in the beginning.

Only once have I ever found it locally and it was for a box of 200rds of remington UMC 115gr at a local gun show, since then I've had to order online mostly through PNW arms for their 147gr plinking ammo.

I think I'm gonna buy some 125gr Barnes black tips and work up some deer rounds.

UWone77
18 July 2014, 13:13
Only once have I ever found it locally and it was for a box of 200rds of remington UMC 115gr at a local gun show, since then I've had to order online mostly through PNW arms for their 147gr plinking ammo.

I think I'm gonna buy some 125gr Barnes black tips and work up some deer rounds.

The new Remington UMC 220gr Plinking Ammo looks like it has potential. Also less than $1 a round, which is a big plus.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/167410/remington-umc-ammunition-300-aac-blackout-762x35mm-220-grain-open-tip-match-otm-subsonic-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

mustangfreek
19 July 2014, 02:37
keep it coming this thread is helping me sway towards a blackout. Most likely a 16" gun.Will reload my own stuff, which helps a lot on price for this round especially.

Ya a can or 5.....are on the want list...as well as SBR's as WA just passed its law, but im not sure on the form 1 stuff, as the writing for it, was not correct or something..thats a whole other thread..

UWone77
19 July 2014, 09:01
keep it coming this thread is helping me sway towards a blackout. Most likely a 16" gun.Will reload my own stuff, which helps a lot on price for this round especially.

Ya a can or 5.....are on the want list...as well as SBR's as WA just passed its law, but im not sure on the form 1 stuff, as the writing for it, was not correct or something..thats a whole other thread..

Honestly, I don't know about a 16" 300 BLK Gun. 300 really shines with short barrels and/or suppressors. To have neither, and use a 16" barrel seems like a waste. I'll be the first to admit, I do have a 16" 300 upper, but that's before I knew better.

mustangfreek
19 July 2014, 15:41
Honestly , like i said i have not dealt with this caliber yet, but am giving it some serious thought. How does your 16" upper run? Whos barrel? pistol length gas i assume?

UWone77
19 July 2014, 20:32
Honestly , like i said i have not dealt with this caliber yet, but am giving it some serious thought. How does your 16" upper run? Whos barrel? pistol length gas i assume?

It's a RA UltraMatch. Shoots very well, and suppressed, but not sure I'd go with a 16" again in 300

nobodyspecial
19 July 2014, 20:56
I have a Rainier Ultra Match 16" too. I like the round. Our state does not allow us to hunt with short barreled rifles, so 16" it is for my hunting rifle. The SBR is for non hunting. ;-)

Ride4frnt
19 July 2014, 21:18
I have a Rainier Ultra Match 16" too. I like the round. Our state does not allow us to hunt with short barreled rifles, so 16" it is for my hunting rifle. The SBR is for non hunting. ;-)

Same reason I went with the 16". I wanted this gun to pull range and deer hunting duty. My bolt gun is chambered in .25-06 and it gets VERY expensive to shoot for deer season with the rounds that it likes, last I bought them it was about $45 a box of 20.

My 16" noveske barreled build runs very well, never had any issues with it, but as UWone77 stated, the round really shines with a shorter barrel and suppressed. Really depends on what your intended use is I would say.

mustangfreek
20 July 2014, 01:09
See thats another thing i need to find out, as what is the regs in washington about hunting with semi autos, been out of the deer hunting game for a while, but my son is showing interest, but i do know the minimum for rifle caliber to take deer is 6mm/243 but just need to find out about the semi auto part .

UWone77
20 July 2014, 20:32
Thanks for reminding me of the hunting aspect. I forget a lot of places require 30 caliber rounds to hunt with. That and with some states not allowing suppressor use for hunting, I see your points. So in that regard, if you plan to use 300 BLK For hunting, a 16" will work just fine.

mustangfreek, you better start on that suppressor paperwork and saving up for one before January's magical ATF 41P

mustangfreek
21 July 2014, 02:29
Ya i know you have yo have a minimum of a 6mm/243 bullet when doing modern firearm.,but i have been out of the loop for 6-8 years so no totally sure if anything there has changed.

Now about the 16" blackout barrels i see some with pistol and some with carbine length gas systems, is one better then the other? I see noveske favors the pistol and rainier the carbine length systems, this is just looking on rainiers site btw..

About the suppressor "magical ATF 41p" , i have no idea, as with having no cans unfortunately, i have not totally kept up on the laws and such...

Ride4frnt
21 July 2014, 08:18
Ya i know you have yo have a minimum of a 6mm/243 bullet when doing modern firearm.,but i have been out of the loop for 6-8 years so no totally sure if anything there has changed.

Now about the 16" blackout barrels i see some with pistol and some with carbine length gas systems, is one better then the other? I see noveske favors the pistol and rainier the carbine length systems, this is just looking on rainiers site btw..

About the suppressor "magical ATF 41p" , i have no idea, as with having no cans unfortunately, i have not totally kept up on the laws and such...

I believe the thought is the pistol system more reliably handles the varying pressures or super and sub rounds. That being said, I've not heard of many problems with the carbine systems. Most of the problems I have heard of were caused by a crooked gas block, or solved by a simple buffer swap on various length builds.

AAC even uses a carbine setup on their 16" barrels. I don't think you'll have a problem either way you go.

SwissyJim
17 September 2014, 00:30
I'm running mostly suppressed with 208 A-Max on 9.6g of A5744, COAL of 2.215 (I think... at work right now) - managed to get a bunch of the 5744 whereas I cannot locate but a single pound of A1680. I think my FPS is in the 950-1050 range?

For supers I run M80 pulls over 15.6g of H110, or Hornady 150 FMJ. I have a bunch of Varmegeddon and some blemished Barnes TAC-TX that I have yet to tinker with - I'm having WAY too much fun with the suppressor! (Specwar762)

Everything out of an 8" pistol gas 1:7 barrel with an SLR DA-7 adjustable block.
http://www.swissybaroo.com/Photos/var/resizes/Misc/DSCN0211.JPG

Sorry - know this is an older post but I'm just having too much fun reloading the 300blk subs!

CountChocula
18 September 2014, 21:54
My rifle is a 16 inch rainier select. I've only got two loads worked up for it right now. First one is CCI #400 primer, nosler 110gr varmageddon with 19.3 grains of W296, coal 2.060 with an average velocity of about 2350fps. Second load is CCI #400 primer, 125gr hornady sst with 17.8 grains of W296, coal 2.105 with an average velocity of 2170 fps. I'm going to use the sst for deer this year. I just lucked into some h110 powder and have some 125gr ballistic tips and some 125gr speer tnt to work up. I'm going to hold off on the new loads until I can sbr my blackout though. I've been eyeballing the Aero 8.2 inch barrel.

tcoz
18 October 2014, 20:16
Is LC brass the best to convert, anything and everything, etc....Im new to the blackout round, but not reloading............Go !!!

Yes, LC brass is best to convert. Wall thickness around 1.360 inches from the base will often determine success or failure. As a rule of thumb, if the wall thickness is greater than 0.014 (0.013 or less is best), there may be problems with the loaded diameter of the neck being too large to chamber easily. All LC brass has a wall thickness less than 0.014.

SwissyJim
20 October 2014, 18:00
Here's a good sticky from 300BLKtalk.com that deals with the good and bad cases to use
Good/Bad cases for 300BLK (http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88599)

mustangfreek
21 October 2014, 12:52
Good info fellas...Im still keeping tabs on this....for a possible future build.

Nickb
21 October 2014, 19:42
Last I checked you can hunt with a pistol in Washington.
I'm very slowly building a BO pistol, I plan on putting in for my stamp and making my own suppressor. I also plan on loading lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, they are making a bullet specifically for suppressed .300 blk.

nobodyspecial
24 October 2014, 06:13
I built my 300 for hunting. It is a Rainier ultra match 16" that I am thinking about having cut down and pinned with a mount for my new 762-SD that should be here soon.

Don't want to go SBR on this one, as ND won't let me hunt with it yet. We don't have any wording about suppressors, though.

JimmyT
23 February 2015, 11:08
FYI, the Bulls eye range in tacoma has H110 in stock. If I did not have 3 more pounds of IMR 4227, I would have bought some. I'll drop my loads I'm using with 110 grain bullets tonight when I get home from work. My Remmy 700 loves the PNW 155 grain match hollo point, it's moving at 2200 TPD and delivering 1400 ft lbs at least h muzzle. Velocity was measured with a magnitude o chrono yesterday. I'm having a lot of fun working loads for 300 black out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustangfreek
24 February 2015, 03:06
Thanks for the bump and info, still have no BO gun but have slowly collected components and wish that wasnt so far away. id like a pound of H110 to have on hand when i get there.

Swissy jim, your post and pics makes me rethink what i was planning which was a 16" gun for hunting purposes, but making up loads is something i enjoy and the short barrel/silencer sounds like a blast to play with

nobodyspecial
24 February 2015, 05:35
A very quiet blast, though. ;-)

SwissyJim
24 February 2015, 10:08
Thanks for the bump and info, still have no BO gun but have slowly collected components and wish that wasnt so far away. id like a pound of H110 to have on hand when i get there.

Swissy jim, your post and pics makes me rethink what i was planning which was a 16" gun for hunting purposes, but making up loads is something i enjoy and the short barrel/silencer sounds like a blast to play with

It is fun, no doubt. And truthfully, since the round really is optimized for a shorter barrel, there is no reason you cannot hunt with a shorter barrel (if legally allowed!) . I plan on attempting to get a caribou this coming fall with my SBR. Still working out details, but looks like a fly in caribou huntwill happen in late August! Have the Lehigh Defense bullets just for the occasion...

A very quiet blast, though. ;-)
I see what you did there.. [:D]

editing to add this - dunno if you saw it in my review thread of the PA optic, but after I finalized my 190g sub loads, I put a few thru the suppressor. Note the lack of my hearing protection

http://player.vimeo.com/video/86668923

my new goto sub load:
190g Nosler Custom Competition
2.215 COAL
11.6g Reloader7

gets me the follwoing:
Series, 3, Shots:, 5
Min, 968, Max, 994
Avg, 980 ,S-D,10.0
ES , 26

Series,Shot,Speed
3, 1, 977, ft/s
3, 2, 994, ft/s
3, 3, 986, ft/s
3, 4, 976, ft/s
3, 5, 968, ft/s

and the 5 shot group was all touching at my test distance of 25yrds. now that I have it tweaked, I'll load lots more and push the target out to 50, 75 and 100yds. and buying the 2nds at SPS for $.17 a round helps with the cost of plinking!

JimmyT
25 February 2015, 19:09
Ok, this is a few of my loads that I developed out of Hornady and Nosler info. All loads were shot from a Remey 700 AAAC-SD and DD M4V5 without troubles. Velocity was measured with a magnetospeed V3 chronograph.

Nosler 110 grain V-geddon tipped HP
PNW/Hornady/GFL brass
#41 primers
18.7 grains IMR 4227
OACL of 2.040
Velocity was averageing 2215 FPS

I shot this load and show no sighns of pressure and will go to 19 grains my next trip to the range to see if velocity and accuracy improves.

I am also loading 110 grain and 130 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. I post results after I get a round that my rifles really like.

mustangfreek
26 February 2015, 01:12
Thanks for the info, ended up with a pound of 4227 in a trade/sale i did today..

JimmyT
26 February 2015, 06:26
I was buying powder over the internet and ended up with three pounds of IMR 4227. I'm still playing around with loads for plinking and accuracy. When I get the sweet spot identified on my rifles, I will grank up the 550 and make a bunch for a rainy day!

mustangfreek
27 February 2015, 03:58
Cool, post up your new chrono results if you can, its always nice to see/compare what others are doing..

SwissyJim
27 February 2015, 08:57
anyone using 4227 on subs? I tried with the 190g Nosler's but could not get BHO at the proper FPS. I was thinking of trying it with some 220g's I have to see if it needs a heavier bullet.

Dstrbdmedic167
27 February 2015, 10:05
anyone using 4227 on subs? I tried with the 190g Nosler's but could not get BHO at the proper FPS. I was thinking of trying it with some 220g's I have to see if it needs a heavier bullet.

I haven't used 4227 but have used 8.5gr of lil gun with great success.

SwissyJim
27 February 2015, 15:04
I've got Re7, 1680 and 5744 subs that work well, but keep seeing guys on 300blk talking about 4227 subs. I am trying to get as many different loads dialed in since I never can find any amount of ONE powder. I figure if I cover as many bases as possible, I'll be golden. I have YET to see any Lil'gun ...

I'll see if the 4227 works with heavier subs, and if not I'll try it for supers. Altho 90% of my 300blk shooting is subs now that I have my can [BD]

Dstrbdmedic167
27 February 2015, 15:19
1680 should get it done with the subs. I know that's a good powder. It's also the 277 WLV favorite powder.

SwissyJim
28 February 2015, 10:45
Oh, it does... I have not found anything I cannot shoot with it. It's also a .458socom powder, which I'll be playing with soon. The only drawback is it is SUPER dirty shooting. Just a few shots with my can on and my NiB bolt looks like it's a parkerized bolt! It gets dirty and gummy pretty damn quick. That's what I like about the Re7 - my bolt stays MUCH cleaner for a lot longer (suppressed). And I'm reading the Re7 is also a Socom powder so that's nice. now if things woul djust be more available!

UWone77
1 March 2015, 10:40
Thanks for the info, ended up with a pound of 4227 in a trade/sale i did today..

Now that you have a 300 to play with, you can shows us the results that 300 project you're working on.

I'm paring down my 300 uppers to just shorty's for the most part.

JimmyT
1 March 2015, 18:40
Today I tried some 125 grain Hornady SSTs on top of 18.2 grains of IMR 4227. OACL was 2.105. This round likes my rifle and was shooting sub 1" groups all day log. Velocity was 2098 fps average out of 6 round measured. My 110 and 130 grain TTSX loads are coming along nicely too!

mustangfreek
3 March 2015, 03:58
Now that you have a 300 to play with, you can shows us the results that 300 project you're working on.

I'm paring down my 300 uppers to just shorty's for the most part.

Lol...im gonna post up a thread, for any tips or hints on this project

Thanks JimmyT- sounds like your loads are working well..

JimmyT
3 March 2015, 04:38
My shots were not that consistant... I would have the first two of a three shot string touching, then a flyer. I saw some comments on the Houge overmold stock on the 700 AAC-SD being flimsy and not free floating the barrel. Bell and Carlson stock in in the mail for an upgrade. I will shoot the same loads this weekend to see if there is a difference.

mustangfreek
16 July 2015, 03:44
Revive..

Have most parts for a 16" BO, but a short barreled BO pistol with a brace (KAK) is sounding like a lot of fun over the 16" ? And no cant do both...lol

toolboxluis00200
16 July 2015, 05:26
Revive..

Have most parts for a 16" BO, but a short barreled BO pistol with a brace (KAK) is sounding like a lot of fun over the 16" ? And no cant do both...lol

Sounds like u like tall woman and midgets lol

mustangfreek
17 July 2015, 02:39
Sounds like u like tall woman and midgets lol

Not following?

Just nevermind what i say lately..i am up to no good and have wacky ideas ...

toolboxluis00200
17 July 2015, 07:18
Not following?

Just nevermind what i say lately..i am up to no good and have wacky ideas ...

Lol ok