PDA

View Full Version : Petition to remove suppressors as NFA regulated items

Gaspipeshooter
16 July 2014, 14:15
I saw this on Facebook, and thought I would share here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-suppressors-nfa-regulated-item/wVgXbqP8

MoxyDave
16 July 2014, 15:13
Thanks for the info. I'll sign it for sure!

GOST
17 July 2014, 03:11
There's also one for SBR's.

Computalotapus
17 July 2014, 06:05
Yep signed both
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Judicator
17 July 2014, 08:05
Where's the SBR one?

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

Computalotapus
17 July 2014, 09:32
Here you go

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-need-citizens-register-short-barreled-rifle-sbr-atf-paying-200-tax-stamp/h3YQxFCY

Aragorn
17 July 2014, 14:23
Done and done, and forwarded. Maybe I'm just cynical but, what are the odds this will actually bear any fruit?

GOST
17 July 2014, 18:41
You're probably right Aragorn, but I'd be tickled pink if it worked.

FortTom
17 July 2014, 19:01
Done and done, and forwarded. Maybe I'm just cynical but, what are the odds this will actually bear any fruit?
The current POTUS is intentionally flaunting his ignoring of a petition to get a marine out of a Mexican jail, for the crime of making a wrong turn, while planning to reward a deserter 350K and discounting his fellow troops testimony that he was a deserter. Does anyone actually think petitions for Silencers and SBR's are going to gain any traction with the most anti 2A WH and Senate in US history?

Just saying'... I'd love to think I'm wrong.

FT

UWone77
18 July 2014, 18:26
Has anyone seen what happens if/when a petition actually hits 100k signatures? That's how many you need correct?

FortTom
18 July 2014, 21:09
Has anyone seen what happens if/when a petition actually hits 100k signatures? That's how many you need correct?
For it to go to the WH. Not sure for the Senate or House.

FT

Hmac
18 July 2014, 23:09

Once the petition hits 100,000 signatures within 30 days, the White House is obliged to issue "an official response". The statement would be from the White House press secretary in most cases. Beyond that, nothing happens. It doesn't go to congress, this is strictly a White House function. The "official response" to the petition to deport Piers Morgan was Jay Carney saying that the first amendment allows Morgan the right of free speech. For example.

One thing that does happen...you will get a ton of weekly spam from the White House in your inbox. More spam than even the NRA generates. I didn't think that was possible. The difference is that the White House spam decreases a little if you "unsubscribe", whereas the NRA just ignores those unsubscribe requests. I observed this when I happened to check the email account I used to sign up for the We the People function you need to provide to sign a petition. I used the same throw-away account I gave to the NRA. Normally I don't check it, but between the NRA and the White House, I got a "full inbox " notice. The NRA just keeps sending email even after you unsubscribe. I finally had to block them at the server level.

This NFA petition is stupid and serves only to raise the visibility of the NFA. Not a good thing in the current political climate IMHO and there isn't even the remotest chance such a petition will have even a shred of influence on White House policy. I didn't sign it. I don't want to start the email flood again.

Computalotapus
19 July 2014, 06:36
Ah the little things in life for a Network Engineer, I see spam once......once. After that the nospam appliance stops it before it gets to the Exchange Server.

brich2929
17 September 2014, 02:19
Signed. I kind of expect this to go nowhere, as long as Obummer is in office.

VIPER 237
17 September 2014, 07:38
I think we have more of a chance with getting SBR's off the NFA vs Suppressors, especially with the loopholes like the SigTac Brace and such.

Nathan_Mack
5 October 2014, 11:52

An adage about getting blood from a turnip comes to mind.

Nathan_Mack
5 October 2014, 11:57
I think we have more of a chance with getting SBR's off the NFA vs Suppressors, especially with the loopholes like the SigTac Brace and such.

And they're working on suppressors, too. So to speak...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/sig-sauer-sues-atf-calling-muzzle-brake-silencer/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/06/foghorn/sig-sauer-suspends-lawsuit-against-atf-over-mpxs-new-muzzle-brake/

toolboxluis00200
5 October 2014, 18:20
i saw it on FB all so and the one for SBR so did both

Hmac
5 October 2014, 18:44
...what are the odds this will actually bear any fruit?

Astronomical against.