PDA

View Full Version : First pistol build

Ride4frnt
17 July 2014, 16:14
Well, since Maryland State Police gave us permission (funny we had to ask for permission) to buy lowers again, I've decided I can't take staring at others' pistols all day and I'm going to do one myself.

Just wanted to start this thread and make a list of tentative parts so I could share with you and get some thoughts and insight.

Right now I'm going to just buy the basics and everything else will be looked into over time. Keep in mind this will be a budget conscious build.

UPDATE: all parts finalized
Anderson lower
Aero upper
Rainier Force rail (still need to swap my 12" for a 9")
AIM nib bcg
Damage industries lower parts
Rainier trigger guard
Magpul K2
CMC trigger
MFT minimalist stock
Low pro gas black and tube from red barn
MAS defense barrel
Vg6 epsilon
NTD Ti fang fwd assist (thanks comp)

With this being a budget conscious build, I think I hit the mark. All told, with some of these parts being free/gifts, I have $767 in this rifle, minus the stamp and optics. Hoping to try some of the optics from the t&e program before I settle on something.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/D7CE8E2C-CB24-400C-9DA5-13F9116B23B0_zpsjt9so7cq.jpg

Lower: Anderson Manufacturing forged lower

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/0F800823-6D99-492A-9F92-AE39AE2CA782_zps4cl7yre6.jpg

Upper: have a stripped AERO laying around unused since UWone77 got me a CMT billet from the last giveaway

Handguard: will do some shopping around, but I really love my Rainier FORCE, so it may be a 12" FORCE

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/pistolrec_zpsccc811cf.jpg

Trigger: CMC

LPK: shop around til I find a decent deal on one without a grip and FCG, likely buy the parts separately at a gun show.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/B42035F4-E2B8-49B2-B651-D8406E77BE19_zpsxezehwbk.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/E64828EB-6306-4ABE-AB52-39AD7994E183_zpszfiiy8hw.jpg

Grip: Magpul K2

BCG: another one of those things I'll shop around on. Not too cheap but find a good deal.

Barrel: Need advice on this one. I guess I'm going the 10.5-11.5" route, but need some input on the best "bang for my buck"

Muzzle device: not too sure on this one either, but I'm leaning the Noveske kx3 route, but I do really like that new Primary Weapons CQB muzzle device too.

Optics: Primary Arms red dot, or I'll move my Vortex Sparc off my 14.5" and put a 1-4 on that rifle.

That should pretty much be a complete rifle with the exception of some odds and ends trinkets that I can add later. Interested to hear you guys thoughts.

Funny how the tables have turned. I was told last summer before the ban that I wasn't allowed to build a pistol (which was BS) and now I'm being told explicitly that I have to build a pistol or HBAR.

Gaspipeshooter
17 July 2014, 17:40
My Aero Precision "Pistol" marked lower and accompanying upper should be here next week, so I am definitely interested to follow along. Someone just posted this link a little while back for this LPK:

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/woa-lpk-white-oak-armament-lower-parts-kit-no-trigger.html

I like the Phase 5 Tactical pistol buffer kit. I think mine is going to sport a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel as well, so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.

mustangfreek
18 July 2014, 03:51
Following as i like build threads....[:D]

I am almost there for my pile of parts for my first pistol also, went with the 10.5" Aero nitrided barrel and force rail.

One thing wrong here, build threads require pics..[noob].....[BD]

Computalotapus
18 July 2014, 04:44
This is going to be awesome
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Calengor
18 July 2014, 06:32
I've been thinking about an AR pistol after hearing the news. Was personally leaning towards 11.5" KMR upper from BCM. But I should probably get uppers on my rifle lowers before I start buying more lowers and the such...

Ride4frnt
18 July 2014, 08:57
Following as i like build threads....[:D]

I am almost there for my pile of parts for my first pistol also, went with the 10.5" Aero nitrided barrel and force rail.

One thing wrong here, build threads require pics..[noob].....[BD]

Well if you want pics of a stripped upper id be obliged otherwise you'll have to wait til I get the sb15 and lower.

UWone77
18 July 2014, 09:10
My Aero Precision "Pistol" marked lower and accompanying upper should be here next week, so I am definitely interested to follow along. Someone just posted this link a little while back for this LPK:

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/woa-lpk-white-oak-armament-lower-parts-kit-no-trigger.html

I like the Phase 5 Tactical pistol buffer kit. I think mine is going to sport a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel as well, so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.

The WOA LPK that Weapon Outfitters sells is GTG. I especially like the option of not having the trigger included. Also like to support WO whenever I can.

Ride4frnt
18 July 2014, 09:57
The WOA LPK that Weapon Outfitters sells is GTG. I especially like the option of not having the trigger included. Also like to support WO whenever I can.

He sent me a link last night to a kit from WO that you can configure yourself. The WOA kit with the K2 grip, magpul trigger guard and ALG trigger is $120.

Ride4frnt
18 July 2014, 10:00
Pic added to first post since you wanted pics. There's enough money in there to cover the lower and get me a old fashioned coke at the general store above my FFL.

Just got off the phone with my shop, $100 cash (including tax and fees) for the lowers, they'll be in next week.

And earlier this afternoon I called Ryan at SIG and he extended me a pretty sweet deal on the SB15 brace even though I missed out on the deal for the free rifle bag.

Ride4frnt
19 July 2014, 15:36
Alright folks, talk to me about this.

Realistically I don't think a pistol will be used past 25-50yds, so I need to know what to do about barrel length. It's undeniable that a 7.5" barrel looks awesome, but how do they compare to a 10.5"? I know the velocities and stability are going to suffer on a 7.5, but what else? I'm leaning toward the 10.5 but id like to hear some input about both if anyone has any.

Calengor
19 July 2014, 15:53
If it's for plinking it shouldn't be a problem, if it's for defense, due to the decreased velocities most defense ammo will not reliably expand. I think the 50 gr TSX will work out of barrels as short as 8", IIRC they developed it in conjunction with LWRC's original UCIW 8" barrel program. I could be wrong, however.

Uffdaphil
19 July 2014, 16:51
I'm waiting on a 7.5" barrel right now, but for a first/only pistol I would go 10.3-11.5" for more reliability and less obnoxiousness. I already have AR, Sig and AK ~10" shorties. Have you hefted a KX3? It's like an anvil on the end of the barrel. KX5 is much lighter. I use a Troy Clamore for less $$$.

GaSwamper
19 July 2014, 17:49
I was following a build through MadDogWeapons that a guy used one of his 7'' 6.8 barrels and he was getting .75 groups at 100yds with I think about 2300fps with 95gr. TTSX pills so the 100yd possibilities are there I think. Mad Dog also has some 8.2 6.8 barrels that I thought was mighty tempting if he's getting this kind of shorty performance with the 7''. I am also hearing good things about the Black River Tactical linear comps for pistols, but the KX5 would be sweet peeking out.

Ride4frnt
21 July 2014, 12:31
Gun shop is holding me a lower to go pick up tomorrow. It's an Anderson Manufacturing forged lower. Not really what I wanted but it's what I'll have to take.

Sidebar: never really heard of Anderson rifles before but they claim you can run them with no lube ever, and clean with soap and water... Not sure id buy into it, and certainly wouldn't want to run the gun dry, but it sounds interesting if it works.

http://www.andersonrifles.com

Gaspipeshooter
21 July 2014, 14:25
Gun shop is holding me a lower to go pick up tomorrow. It's an Anderson Manufacturing forged lower. Not really what I wanted but it's what I'll have to take.

Sidebar: never really heard of Anderson rifles before but they claim you can run them with no lube ever, and clean with soap and water... Not sure id buy into it, and certainly wouldn't want to run the gun dry, but it sounds interesting if it works.

I think you have to buy their complete rifle; they don't sell pieces/parts coated with their "RF85".

Ride4frnt
21 July 2014, 14:29
I think you have to buy their complete rifle; they don't sell pieces/parts coated with their "RF85".

Yeah I'm not worried about having it, I just saw it when I looked the company up. Had never heard of them, it's just what the shop has in stock, and Maryland residents cannot be choosers at this point.

Also been seeing a lot of people on other forums complaining about their marketing strategies, but the people who do have their products say there is nothing wrong and they like them. I'll look it over well before I buy one.

FortTom
21 July 2014, 15:28

They are located about 20 minutes from me, less if no traffic. You can buy their products here locally, fairly cheap. Their complete rifles come with a tag that states "Do Not Lubricate". I've seen several around here, and they don't lubricate them, for the most part, maybe a drop or two here or there and that's it. I was skeptical at first, but I've not seen one worn out, having abnormal or premature wear, or any other undesirable side effects. I've become much less of a skeptic. I do have one of their lowers, but not the coated model. I can say that it's very well made, has no slop, and parts fit as they should. Those will go on sale locally for as low as $49.00 plus tax. Quality is right on par with my LMT, BCM and other "expensive" lowers.

FT

Ride4frnt
21 July 2014, 15:54
They are located about 20 minutes from me, less if no traffic. You can buy their products here locally, fairly cheap. Their complete rifles come with a tag that states "Do Not Lubricate". I've seen several around here, and they don't lubricate them, for the most part, maybe a drop or two here or there and that's it. I was skeptical at first, but I've not seen one worn out, having abnormal or premature wear, or any other undesirable side effects. I've become much less of a skeptic. I do have one of their lowers, but not the coated model. I can say that it's very well made, has no slop, and parts fit as they should. Those will go on sale locally for as low as $49.00 plus tax. Quality is right on par with my LMT, BCM and other "expensive" lowers.

FT

Awesome, all I needed to hear! My FFL is selling the lowers for $100 including all the MD fees and sales tax. My other option was a spikes or aero and then I'd be paying for shipping, $50 transfer (fees went way up since the shops lost a lot of money to the gun ban) and $10 for MD application fee.

schambers
21 July 2014, 16:58
Realistically I don't think a pistol will be used past 25-50yds, so I need to know what to do about barrel length. It's undeniable that a 7.5" barrel looks awesome, but how do they compare to a 10.5"? I know the velocities and stability are going to suffer on a 7.5, but what else? I'm leaning toward the 10.5 but id like to hear some input about both if anyone has any.

Very generally speaking, as you decrease the length of the barrel, there is more heat, gas and debris trapped in a smaller area and this all serves to shorten the lifespan of the weapon's internal parts. Pistol length gas systems also also louder and more violent than similarly set up carbine and mid length systems. As mentioned earlier, you will need to mess with buffer weights and spring tensions a little more than with a carbine or longer gas system but there is a lot of information out there to help with that.

If you haven't seen it already, check out Thordson Customs. They are making a pistol buffer thing similar to what SIG is producing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-JYbgigVw)

Also, I would never use soap and/or water to clean a weapon. No matter what a manufacturer says.

Ride4frnt
21 July 2014, 17:12
Very generally speaking, as you decrease the length of the barrel, there is more heat, gas and debris trapped in a smaller area and this all serves to shorten the lifespan of the weapon's internal parts. Pistol length gas systems also also louder and more violent than similarly set up carbine and mid length systems. As mentioned earlier, you will need to mess with buffer weights and spring tensions a little more than with a carbine or longer gas system but there is a lot of information out there to help with that.

If you haven't seen it already, check out Thordson Customs. They are making a pistol buffer thing similar to what SIG is producing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-JYbgigVw)

Also, I would never use soap and/or water to clean a weapon. No matter what a manufacturer says.

Thanks for the info about the barrels. I've decided in going with a 10.5" anyways. I'll be honest if I went with a 7.5" it would be for novelty. No sense in building a gun based on looks alone.

Also, I would never use water to clean a gun either, I just found it interesting they advertise that this can be done because it goes against what we've always been told to do with a weapon.

Calengor
21 July 2014, 17:59

Let me know what you think of their lower when all is said and done. I'm curious as to whether or not they're decent, as they seem to be some of the only lowers you can currently find in MD.

UWone77
21 July 2014, 18:07
10.5 .... you made a good choice.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/IMG_1780_zpsbb8176c3.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/IMG_1780_zpsbb8176c3.jpg.html)

Ride4frnt
21 July 2014, 18:14
10.5 .... you made a good choice.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/IMG_1780_zpsbb8176c3.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/IMG_1780_zpsbb8176c3.jpg.html)

Love that one. I'm thinking in gonna go with a 10.5" with a 12" FORCE. Think I may try out the PWS CQB muzzle device.

Thinking about a lighter silver color cerakote or maybe a NIB coating on the receiver set, and a stainless barrel with black handguard and furniture. Tough choice, cerkote will run me $140 locally, or WMD costs $150 for NIB receiver coating.

On the topic of barrels, who is offering decent barrels for good prices? So far it's
Looking like around $200 for a barrel. 3 ive been looking at are Rainier Match, Sionics, and Aero Precision. Any other offerings I should be considering?

RiverRat
21 July 2014, 18:42
On the topic of barrels, who is offering decent barrels for good prices?

Best priced 10.5 I've seen is Faxon's - haven't handled one and they might be hard to find. But the specs are pretty good and the $119 price is amazing.

http://www.faxonfirearms.com/content/images/thumbs/0000470_ar_15_556_nato_stainless_105_700.jpeg
Image Credit: www.faxonfirearms.com

• Barrel Material: 416R Stainless
• Barrel Type: Button Rifled
• Barrel Caliber: 5.56 NATO
• Barrel Twist: 1:8
• Barrel Length: 10.5"
• Barrel Profile: Light
• Barrel Gas System: Carbine
• Inside Finish: Raw
• Outside Finish: Raw
• Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
• Gas Block Diameter: .750"
• Gas Port Diameter: .078"
• Barrel Extension: M4
• Weight: 1.09 lbs

KevinBLC
21 July 2014, 23:42
I have no clue how that shoots, but the Faxon is beautiful!

mustangfreek
22 July 2014, 00:45
I have no idea also on the faxon barrels, as they are fairly new.

I am almost done collecting parts for my first pistol build and went with the 10.5" Aero nitrided barrel, had a chance to mock it up with a 9" force rail and VG6 epsilon..Should be a fun little toy..Was gonna go with a piggy but got a great deal on the epsilon and wanted to be different..

Calengor
22 July 2014, 05:42
On the topic of barrels, who is offering decent barrels for good prices? So far it's
Looking like around $200 for a barrel. 3 ive been looking at are Rainier Match, Sionics, and Aero Precision. Any other offerings I should be considering?

Not sure what they're going for, but did you see the 10.5" barrels that Engage Armament is having WOA make for them? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=156596

Ride4frnt
22 July 2014, 08:24
Not sure what they're going for, but did you see the 10.5" barrels that Engage Armament is having WOA make for them? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=156596

Ooooh! Yes I forgot about those! I read they were having them made and completely skipped my mind. Looks like a trip to Rockville soon. I messaged andy to see what the cost would be.

Ride4frnt
22 July 2014, 12:27
Thought about it more today when I went to buy my lower (he wanted to sell me a LPK too). I have no need to buy a LPK because I have a few things laying around.

The Hex2 comes with the castle nut and end plate, the ACT trigger comes with springs and pins, using a BAD safety, and using a Rainier trigger guard when they are released. I have a bolt catch, spring, and plunger at the house.

Add anything to this that I may have forgotten but I think I'll only need the pivot/takedown pins, detents and springs, safety detent and spring, buffer detent and spring and a mag release and spring.

All the other parts will come with something else I'm buying.

Ride4frnt
24 July 2014, 11:29
So much for this being a slow build...

Yesterday I went through all the misc lower parts I had at home and ordered the rest of them from damage industries.

Today, the Rainier Modified Trigger Guard went live on revolvr, so I got that too.

Sig brace will be here shortly, and I'll pick up my lower on Tuesday. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning these days.

Edit: then rainier proceeds to post pics of their extended mag release...as if I wasn't already broke.

UWone77
25 July 2014, 09:46
So much for this being a slow build...

Yesterday I went through all the misc lower parts I had at home and ordered the rest of them from damage industries.

Today, the Rainier Modified Trigger Guard went live on revolvr, so I got that too.

Sig brace will be here shortly, and I'll pick up my lower on Tuesday. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning these days.

Edit: then rainier proceeds to post pics of their extended mag release...as if I wasn't already broke.

Well... speed is all relative. They always start out as slow builds then, something happens, a great deal pops up, and suddenly you're a barrel and a handguard away from finishing.

What's the parts list/wish list looking like now?

Ride4frnt
25 July 2014, 12:19
Well... speed is all relative. They always start out as slow builds then, something happens, a great deal pops up, and suddenly you're a barrel and a handguard away from finishing.

What's the parts list/wish list looking like now?

QMS trigger, phase 5 hex2 and the lower is done. Need to find a nice bcg for a decent price and decide on a barrel.

Trying to determine if a PWS CQB muzzle device (1.4" OD) will fit inside a force rail (1.5" ID) safely.

Anyone know how kns pins work with the alg triggers? I know bill advises not to use them with the geissele triggers. I have a set of kns pins that wouldn't work in my .300blk build (long story) so I'm gonna try and reuse them on this build.

Ride4frnt
26 July 2014, 05:23
Fishing a fairly large bass tournament today. Hopefully come home with some rifle money.

Edit: placed 5th. Brought home a bit of pocket change. Now do I pay for my responsibilities or fun parts?

UWone77
26 July 2014, 21:10
Fishing a fairly large bass tournament today. Hopefully come home with some rifle money.

Edit: placed 5th. Brought home a bit of pocket change. Now do I pay for my responsibilities or fun parts?

Depends on what parts you're looking to buy.

How big are the prizes on the tourneys? Do you just go out and fish and whomever catches the biggest wins? Time limits?

Ride4frnt
27 July 2014, 08:03
Depends on what parts you're looking to buy.

How big are the prizes on the tourneys? Do you just go out and fish and whomever catches the biggest wins? Time limits?

Depends on how big the tourney is. Yesterday was a pretty big one for being a local thing. Some heavy hitters fished it, some from California, some from Alabama. Sometimes it is biggest heaviest total of 5 bass, sometimes heaviest 3, and also heaviest single bass. Fished from 6am til 3pm. We took home 300 bucks for 5th place, 1st place took 2000. That was only out of 35 boats, if we had more boats the pot gets bigger. The way it works is they pay 20% of the field so 1:5 boats get paid.

Sorry for the rant.

What it boils down to is I converted this green fish into some greenbacks.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/22364C44-E3CA-4B40-9C7B-470AFB1D13F1_zpsji4vqntl.jpg[IMG]

UWone77
28 July 2014, 06:58
So since you're going to spend the $300 in gun parts, what are you buying? [:D]

What do you guys do with the fish after the competition? Grill'em up for post event dinner?

Ride4frnt
28 July 2014, 07:34
So since you're going to spend the $300 in gun parts, what are you buying? [:D]

What do you guys do with the fish after the competition? Grill'em up for post event dinner?

No, the bass are sport fish. All of them are returned alive. We do catch Northern Snakeheads that are an invasive species and those are illegal to keep alive. We kill em and either throw them back for the turtles and other fish to eat or grill em up and eat em.

I may buy something this week, most likely my hex2 setup, but I have a truck payment to make first. Responsibilities suck.

Ride4frnt
28 July 2014, 10:54
Got my Rainier trigger guard today. Lower parts shipped this morning. Lower itself should come home tomorrow or the next day.

Hex2 is ordered as well. A trigger and my lower is done. Upper is gonna be a while. I'm thinking the faxon 10.5" barrel is gonna be the one I go with. At $120 it is very well priced. Then I'll need a bcg, charging handle and hand guard.

Mail call! Also pictured is the Black Devils patch from Travis over at the Not So Tactical blog.

This trigger guard is awesome! Such a small piece but so well thought out. Gone are the days of breaking the ears off your forged lowers.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/E64828EB-6306-4ABE-AB52-39AD7994E183_zpszfiiy8hw.jpg

Aragorn
28 July 2014, 21:01
Dude that trigger guard is sick...

Once things ease up, I'm planning on throwing together a build for a guy who helped me out a lot. Think I'll just start counting on using one of those guards right now...

Ride4frnt
28 July 2014, 21:22
Dude that trigger guard is sick...

Once things ease up, I'm planning on throwing together a build for a guy who helped me out a lot. Think I'll just start counting on using one of those guards right now...

It is awesome. I should buy a few more. They are on sale for a limited time at revolvr.com for $18.95 shipped to your door. Originally I thought the price was a bit steep for such a small item, but considering you can get it in 4 colors, it uses no pins, and includes shipping, I think it's a good deal.

Ride4frnt
29 July 2014, 08:11
Got another mail call today! This is when I start getting excited, when parts are flowing in.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/0B1842EC-A008-46B8-A836-93764B2D056E_zpsejbvc9jv.jpg

KevinBLC
29 July 2014, 08:30
Well crap, this project is just coming together quick. Like most of the build threads I see here!!

Computalotapus
29 July 2014, 09:42
I feel like my build thread is moving at a snails pace compared to this one haha. That brace is sick tho

KevinBLC
29 July 2014, 09:48
I'm interested to see you opinion of the Hex. I keep hearing the KAK industries tube is the one to go with when using the sig brace.

Ride4frnt
29 July 2014, 09:48
I feel like my build thread is moving at a snails pace compared to this one haha. That brace is sick tho

It's gonna halt soon. My lower parts will be here tomorrow, buffer setup after that and then I need to decide on where to have my cerakote done on the receivers, then it's just upper parts after that.

Aragorn
29 July 2014, 10:14

I feel ya. Same here.

Ride4frnt
29 July 2014, 11:07
Well, there's a reason this build is moving along quickly. I'm only 24, no children and no huge monthly bills. After this build I'll be taking a hiatus. The lady and I are house shopping out of state. I'm trying to get this done before Maryland turns their back on us again and makes these illegal too.

Not 100% sure if I want to cerakote or not, but if I do, I'm thinking satin aluminum receivers and black on everything else. What are your thoughts?

Image from google

http://gunsforsalegun.com/wp-content/uploads/x-werks-seekins-forged-lower-satin-aluminum-ar-15-4.jpg

Ride4frnt
30 July 2014, 09:32
Today's update: Got all my lower parts from Damage Industries. Need a K2 grip and ACT trigger and my lower is done.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/B42035F4-E2B8-49B2-B651-D8406E77BE19_zpsxezehwbk.jpg

Computalotapus
30 July 2014, 11:46
Sweet its all coming together.

Ride4frnt
30 July 2014, 14:52
I have too much time on my hands at work. I get paid to sit on my lazy rump for 8 hours and contemplate gun builds.

Today I've gone from "do I want 5.56 or .300blk" "nah I don't need another .300blk, I hardly shoot the one I have"

To "man, do I really wanna spend $150 on a muzzle device for a 'budget build'" after which I think I've decided I'm going to go with the KAK flash can. I'm fairly certain I don't need the benefits of the baffle in the noveske devices, and the price of the PWS device just kind of turns me off.

Any thoughts guys?

Ride4frnt
31 July 2014, 10:57
Another good mail day! Hex 2 came from Phase5 in 2 days. California to Maryland.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/7746DED4-50EC-448C-A262-2A0BDBD66666_zpsthwbauy9.jpg

And the piece I've been waiting on finally made it's return trip.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/0F800823-6D99-492A-9F92-AE39AE2CA782_zps4cl7yre6.jpg

Gaspipeshooter
31 July 2014, 11:19
Another good mail day! Hex 2 came from Phase5 in 2 days. California to Maryland.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/7746DED4-50EC-448C-A262-2A0BDBD66666_zpsthwbauy9.jpg

I'll be looking at that same exact box tomorrow according to UPS tracking, except mine will have a Sig Tac pistol brace in it as well! Congrats!

Ride4frnt
31 July 2014, 20:25
Put the lower together tonight just for kicks. Initial impressions: the sig brace, once on the phase 5 tube, is not coming off without persuasion. The gun is next to impossible fire accurately if the brace is being used as intended. And the brace in conjunction with this tube places it exactly the same length that I run my carbine stock.

Gaspipeshooter
1 August 2014, 14:34
Put the lower together tonight just for kicks. Initial impressions: the sig brace, once on the phase 5 tube, is not coming off without persuasion. The gun is next to impossible fire accurately if the brace is being used as intended. And the brace in conjunction with this tube places it exactly the same length that I run my carbine stock.

Gee, what a coincidence! Completely accidental, I'm sure...[:D]

Ride4frnt
1 August 2014, 14:36
Gee, what a coincidence! Completely accidental, I'm sure...[:D]

I know it was intentional on their part to make a longer LOP, just think it's cool that it places it exactly where I like it, with my CTR stock I run it on the second notch on a carbine tube

Ride4frnt
5 August 2014, 11:41
Anyone care to enlighten me on muzzle devices. With a 10.5" barrel and carbine gas system, will I need the added back pressure that a Kx3 or the PWS CQB device will give me? Can I get away with being cheap and using a kak flash can and put the extra $100 to something else?

Also still in the prowl for a barrel. I was thinking about Aero until the other aero thread on here came to light. Faxon is still a possibility. Those barrels have no chrome lining or anything, is this going to be a hindrance down the road?

Calengor
5 August 2014, 12:56
Anyone care to enlighten me on muzzle devices. With a 10.5" barrel and carbine gas system, will I need the added back pressure that a Kx3 or the PWS CQB device will give me? Can I get away with being cheap and using a kak flash can and put the extra $100 to something else?

Also still in the prowl for a barrel. I was thinking about Aero until the other aero thread on here came to light. Faxon is still a possibility. Those barrels have no chrome lining or anything, is this going to be a hindrance down the road?

The muzzle device bit will depend on whether or not the gas port is the right size, you're using the correct buffer, and the ammo you use. So essentially, multiple variables...

I have a centurion arms MK18 upper that wouldn't run properly with the H2 buffer that came with my LPK using good 5.56 pressure ammo, but once I switched to an H buffer it ran fine. Muzzle device on it is a KAC NT4.

Ride4frnt
6 August 2014, 16:52
Couldn't go a week without buying parts. NIB BCG from aim for 100 shipped on its way.

Ride4frnt
11 August 2014, 10:12
Got the AIM BCG in today. Initial impressions: for 100 it will do the job. The coating is not quite the same as the WMD unit I'm currently running in one of my rifles, but WMD also has a different coating process. The gas key could use a little better staking. And the one thing that was wrong, and it was easily fixed, the cotter pin though the bcg was bent to hell. One side of the pin went straight through, the other side was bent and sticking out the back with the rear of the firing pin.

Photo for comparison. AIM on right, WMD on left.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/226C0456-774A-42CC-AB75-EFC571A9CB94_zpswc9dudpu.jpg

Soisauss
11 August 2014, 14:41
Got the AIM BCG in today. Initial impressions: for 100 it will do the job. The coating is not quite the same as the WMD unit I'm currently running in one of my rifles, but WMD also has a different coating process. The gas key could use a little better staking. And the one thing that was wrong, and it was easily fixed, the cotter pin though the bcg was bent to hell. One side of the pin went straight through, the other side was bent and sticking out the back with the rear of the firing pin.

Photo for comparison. AIM on right, WMD on left.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/226C0456-774A-42CC-AB75-EFC571A9CB94_zpswc9dudpu.jpg

The AIM one looks air brushed..lolol

Thanks for sharing that pic!!! been contemplating on picking up an AIM NIB BCG.

Ride4frnt
11 August 2014, 15:20
The AIM one looks air brushed..lolol

Thanks for sharing that pic!!! been contemplating on picking up an AIM NIB BCG.

Don't get me wrong, the finish is very nice. No flaws in it. It's nice and slick. It could be just the fact that I'm basing it off of the proprietary NiB-X coating that WMD uses. They both feel equally as slick, just the sheen that is different.

Glad I noticed the cotter pin issue before use though.

UWone77
12 August 2014, 07:13
I have a couple WMD BCG's one with about 4k rounds though it. Ive been very pleased with it and the 2 or 3 others I've used. The coating is uniform and it hasn't discolored as bad as some of the other NiB carriers I've used. There definitely is a difference in NiB coatings out there.

GOST
12 August 2014, 15:53
I personally like NiB when it becomes dis-colored, gives it character.

UWone77
13 August 2014, 15:45

I don't mind either way. Whatever makes it easier to clean. I know that some people get freaked out when their new $200 BCG isn't as "pristine" anymore.

I have an AIM Nitride BCG, for sub $100, it's worked well, but I don't have enough rounds to make a call either way on it. I can't imagine there are too many NiB coaters out there doing mass coatings, so I wonder who is doing them. Most of the finishes I've seen aren't as good or evenly applied as the WMD ones.

Ride4frnt
13 August 2014, 16:01
I don't mind either way. Whatever makes it easier to clean. I know that some people get freaked out when their new $200 BCG isn't as "pristine" anymore.

I have an AIM Nitride BCG, for sub $100, it's worked well, but I don't have enough rounds to make a call either way on it. I can't imagine there are too many NiB coaters out there doing mass coatings, so I wonder who is doing them. Most of the finishes I've seen aren't as good or evenly applied as the WMD ones.

I will agree here. Again, the finish on this unit is very nice. It's even, it's slick, no flaws in the finish. It just doesn't look as nice as the WMD coating. Maybe I'm just being biased, and I'm sure it will work as well as a phosphate bcg, so for $100 I'm not complaining.

On another note, I'm trying to find a local NIB coater. Waiting to hear from my normal cerakote applicator. Haven't visited him in a while, he may do nib now. If not I'm looking to get my receivers cerakoted a light silver color, close to, maybe a bit darker than the AIM BCG pictured. I'm thinking either "satin aluminum" or "crushed silver"

Ride4frnt
25 August 2014, 11:24
Few more things coming this week. Got the 12" Rainier FORCE rail coming, and thanks to Comp and Mrs. Comp, they sent me a NTD Ti Fang fwd assist. I need a barrel, muzzle device and a trigger, then it's off to blowndeadline.

Ride4frnt
28 August 2014, 10:09
Two things in the mail this week. 12" FORCE rail came today, and the TiFang forward assist from Comp and his wife came yesterday.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/pistolrec_zpsccc811cf.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/cd2a1d6c-fc51-4f5d-9b95-02f129e02b66_zpsfd4cb044.jpg

UWone77
28 August 2014, 10:19
A NTD Titanium F/A makes for a nice gift!

Computalotapus
28 August 2014, 10:45
A NTD Titanium F/A makes for a nice gift!

Paying it forward. Thanks again on the Iron Viper USAF forward assist. It should come back from blowndeadline in a stainless steel color :)

Ride4frnt
28 August 2014, 11:05
Paying it forward. Thanks again on the Iron Viper USAF forward assist. It should come back from blowndeadline in a stainless steel color :)

Thank you guys again! And thanks to UW for sending you that USAF one. The iron viper units look sweet for sure.

Now to send these parts to blowndeadline. I'm pretty sure I've decided on titanium cerakote for the receivers. Not sure if I'll do the rail or not.

Gaspipeshooter
28 August 2014, 12:51
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Ride4frnt
29 August 2014, 12:56
Anyone have experience bead blasting barrels? I've read on arfcom that Rainier uses 80 grit glass to blast their barrels. I'm likely going to go with the 10.5" faxon 416r stainless barrel, which is not blasted. We have a cabinet at work that we blast stuff with. With the exception of using brand new beads, does anyone see a problem with blasting the barrel myself? Anyone done it?

KevinBLC
30 August 2014, 12:54
Why bead blast? Just don't want the barrel shiny?

UWone77
30 August 2014, 13:01
Anyone have experience bead blasting barrels? I've read on arfcom that Rainier uses 80 grit glass to blast their barrels. I'm likely going to go with the 10.5" faxon 416r stainless barrel, which is not blasted. We have a cabinet at work that we blast stuff with. With the exception of using brand new beads, does anyone see a problem with blasting the barrel myself? Anyone done it?

Why do you want to bead blast?

RA gets a matte looking finish when they bead blast their barrels, which I think looks better than traditional stainless barrels with a lot of "gloss" The RA bead blast looks very similar to the Noveske ones. I don't think there should be a huge issue if you try it yourself and know what you're doing. My only question is, why not just buy a bead blasted one from the get go?

Ride4frnt
1 September 2014, 09:16
Why do you want to bead blast?

RA gets a matte looking finish when they bead blast their barrels, which I think looks better than traditional stainless barrels with a lot of "gloss" The RA bead blast looks very similar to the Noveske ones. I don't think there should be a huge issue if you try it yourself and know what you're doing. My only question is, why not just buy a bead blasted one from the get go?

Well, particularly, budget. I could save up another week or so and buy a Rainier barrel that's already blasted. I've heard nothing but good things about Faxon's ARAK units, and I've heard good reviews on their 16" barrels. For $120 I figured I'd give their pistol barrel a try.

Ride4frnt
15 September 2014, 13:04
I need some opinions guys. I really cannot decide on cerakote. Originally I wanted to go with a lighter grey/silver. Now I'm not quite sure if I want something a bit darker. Keep in mind I'm only doing the receivers, everything else will be black besides the Ti forward assist (thanks Comp) and NiB BCG and Gas block. Tungsten and titanium are the two I've narrowed it to, and I can't tell which I like more. Here's a pic with both of them side by side, that John Sharps took of his hellbreaker lowers. Of course photos don't do the colors justice. Would you guys go lighter or darker?

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/19087A3A-1A34-4615-9A25-F31B2439A3D1_zpsi5evbmis.png

Computalotapus
15 September 2014, 13:18
Really it is up to you what you like. You have to be happy with the color doesn't matter what others think. With that said, I like the tungsten. You don't see a lot of people with it and its not going to show the character marks as much as the titanium will.

Ride4frnt
15 September 2014, 13:22
Really it is up to you what you like. You have to be happy with the color doesn't matter what others think. With that said, I like the tungsten. You don't see a lot of people with it and its not going to show the character marks as much as the titanium will.

Lol that's the problem. I like then both. I'll probably go darker so it's not as reflective. I just need to send it out and quit sitting on it and thinking about it.

okdonk
15 September 2014, 13:26
Tungsten is a must.. for me. :)

MO_AR
25 September 2014, 19:47
Silly question 5.56 or 300 BLK? I'm working on a 300 Seekins Billet.

DutyUse
25 September 2014, 20:17
I ran into the same dilemma choosing a color. I'm leaning towards the darker shades, but both look nice.

Great collection of parts so far! My wife wants us to build a pistol next so I'm keeping an eye on this build :D

camomike
25 September 2014, 20:39

This is what i'm banking on with my receivers... character [BD]

GaSwamper
26 September 2014, 05:26
Tough choice my man. I like em both, but Ive saw the tungsten in person and it's sweet. I bet for a unique look doing the lower in silver and the upper and handguard in grey would be slick. I guess if I had to pick i'd say tungsten trimed in black.

Ride4frnt
26 September 2014, 07:44
Silly question 5.56 or 300 BLK? I'm working on a 300 Seekins Billet.

5.56. I have a .300blk upper that I'm thinking of selling the barrel on and making a .300blk shorty too.

MO_AR
30 September 2014, 20:04
5.56. I have a .300blk upper that I'm thinking of selling the barrel on and making a .300blk shorty too.

I'm going the pistol route with the 300 blk (9").

Ride4frnt
4 November 2014, 16:50
Resurrecting this. Been thinking a lot about this build lately. I'm almost certain I am sticking to the original plan of 10.5" barrel. What I may have changed my mind about is the configuration.

The more I see them, the more in love I fall. A shorty with a A2 front post and a carry handle (both of which I have laying in the parts bin, A2 post and carry handle) Mmmmm. Can anyone tell me who makes a 10.5" barrel drilled for the taper pins on a A2 base? I see aero makes a complete barrel assembly with the base already pinned on (which I may go with if that's the route I choose) anyone else making pistol barrels with the FSB?

If I choose to go that route, I will sell my 12" brand new force rail on here for what I paid for it.

SINNER
4 November 2014, 17:17
Never seen a barrel or sight base come pre drilled. SOP is to drill the base when it is on the barrel. Then finish with a tapered reamer. Really helps to have a mill. Sometimes a drill press will have enough play to allow the bit to walk around the curve of the barrel. I drill into the base until the bit contacts the barrel, then spot face with a end mill to give the bit a flat spot on the hardened barrel. Stops the bit walk and blowing out the bottom of the sight base.

tirod
4 November 2014, 21:43
I'm going the same route, A2 front sight. I had bought and installed an Armalite clamp on for a disspator build, but with it's new Apex free float it's not getting used.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EU0240MPKIT

There are others, one in billet aluminum: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/JP-Adjustable-Gas-Block-Front-Sight-Base-p/jpgs-2fs.htm

I'm hoping to get the lower working before MO Alternative deer season as I can swap the 16" 6.8 upper on and use it as a pistol. Black Friday and SHOT 2015 should break out some shelf clearing deals that will be hard to pass up, in the meantime I surf the AR parts finder to see what's going on.

http://arpartsfinder.com/index.htm Lots of bargains these days, it's a buyers market.

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 13:58
Quick update.

This is no longer a pistol build. Things happened, NFA trust was bought, and now it's a SBR build, and I'm going to the dark side.

I'll be selling my sig brace and phase 5 tube and getting the stock and 6 pos tube.

Other than that, I need a trigger, barrel, muzzle device (need to pick what suppressor I want in the future, AAC or silencerco) and a grip (k2)

I'd also like to either trade my 12" rainier rail for the 9" model, or sell it and buy a 9" Midwest ssk rail.

Computalotapus
11 December 2014, 14:01
I am jealous of your SBR.... I must one day get into stamp collecting.... ONE DAY!!!!

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 14:19
I had to quit kidding myself. I'm a liar if I say I didnt buy the sig brace with intentions to shoulder it. Why have a non adjustable stock. I paid 190 for the brace and phase5 kit...I'll pay $200 for a stamp to SBR it

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 14:30
Quick update.

This is no longer a pistol build. Things happened, NFA trust was bought, and now it's a SBR build, and I'm going to the dark side.

I'll be selling my sig brace and phase 5 tube and getting the stock and 6 pos tube.

Other than that, I need a trigger, barrel, muzzle device (need to pick what suppressor I want in the future, AAC or silencerco) and a grip (k2)

I'd also like to either trade my 12" rainier rail for the 9" model, or sell it and buy a 9" Midwest ssk rail.

SBR is the easy part suppressor will run you dry lol

Ride4frnt
23 December 2014, 13:04
Think I've finally got this all worked out in my head. Trust gets notarized next week, form 1 gets filed that day most likely. I'll sell my sig brace and hex2 and have the money for a stock and the barrel.

When I finally get a 9" rail I'm thinking this upper is gonna be outfitted with a 10.5" Faxon nitrided barrel, and a VG6 epsilon. I'm still on the fence about the 10.5" vs 11.5" barrel though.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 December 2014, 13:51
10.5" barrel is my vote.

Gaspipeshooter
23 December 2014, 13:59
Think I've finally got this all worked out in my head. Trust gets notarized next week, form 1 gets filed that day most likely. I'll sell my sig brace and hex2 and have the money for a stock and the barrel.

When I finally get a 9" rail I'm thinking this upper is gonna be outfitted with a 10.5" Faxon nitrided barrel, and a VG6 epsilon. I'm still on the fence about the 10.5" vs 11.5" barrel though.

Two words for you" DWELL" & "TIME"...[:D]

UWone77
23 December 2014, 14:07
Two Words, "Get Both"

Dstrbdmedic167
23 December 2014, 14:09
Two Words, "Get Both"

You... I like you!!!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/23/6506ba4a658fe9ea63fcf9d3f8fafd85.jpg

JHoward
23 December 2014, 15:18
I have handled quite a few MAS Defense barrels and they all looked great. I owned their 10.5" 1:8 .223 Wylde barrel and loved it. My next will be the same barrel in stainless.

Ride4frnt
23 December 2014, 15:26
I have handled quite a few MAS Defense barrels and they all looked great. I owned their 10.5" 1:8 .223 Wylde barrel and loved it. My next will be the same barrel in stainless.

That barrel is also on my list.

JHoward
23 December 2014, 15:28
I didn't expect much at the price I got it. It was overstock or blem, I forget, but I know it was under $100, and when I got it, it was perfect. And it was the most accurate barrel I've owned in 5.56.

Ride4frnt
23 December 2014, 15:49
I didn't expect much at the price I got it. It was overstock or blem, I forget, but I know it was under $100, and when I got it, it was perfect. And it was the most accurate barrel I've owned in 5.56.

They are $109 now. Not too shabby, and I've heard great reviews. And the whole idea behind this build was budget friendly, than I had to go and add another $200 to the equation.

I'm thinking all black, Ti forward assist, NIB BCG, alg trigger, stainless barrel and stainless epsilon.

Ride4frnt
26 December 2014, 17:45
Form 1 eFiled today, 12/26. The wait begins.

Sold my sig brace and phase 5 tube. Now need to pick up the stock, trigger, barrel and muzzle device.

Ride4frnt
28 December 2014, 10:29
More updates. As a nice gesture, a member here and his wife offered to pick up my MFT stock for me if I promised to forego the ALG trigger in favor of a CMC... So looks like I'll be getting a cmc.

Upon the advise of UW to start with a H buffer. I'm gonna pick up a H2. If my gun prefers the h2, then I will leave it, if it's too much, I'll take the h2 and my spare carbine buffer apart and make 2 H buffers.

Then I'll need a barrel and muzzle device, and the gun will be ready to fire. Will likely get a red dot for my birthday.

DutyUse
28 December 2014, 11:42
More updates. As a nice gesture, a member here and his wife offered to pick up my MFT stock for me if I promised to forego the ALG trigger in favor of a CMC... So looks like I'll be getting a cmc.

Upon the advise of UW to start with a H buffer. I'm gonna pick up a H2. If my gun prefers the h2, then I will leave it, if it's too much, I'll take the h2 and my spare carbine buffer apart and make 2 H buffers.

Then I'll need a barrel and muzzle device, and the gun will be ready to fire. Will likely get a red dot for my birthday.

I have a rainer Flash Supressor I won back in the football contest on here. Your more then welcome to it.

I wish I could SBR the two pistol builds that are in the works :(

JHoward
28 December 2014, 12:45
I can say this... Don't get the ALG SCB... Unless you LOVE fireballs. The brake works great, but the flash is a little crazy on my 11.5. I will probably install it onto one of my other rifles.

Gaspipeshooter
28 December 2014, 12:55
Right now I have a standard A2 birdcage on my 11.5" barreled pistol. If I do anything different, it will likely be the new Lantac muzzle device.

Ride4frnt
28 December 2014, 14:39
I'm thinkin a vg6 epsilon.

Ride4frnt
31 December 2014, 10:20
UPDATE: all parts finalized
Anderson lower
Aero upper
Rainier Force rail (still need to swap my 12" for a 9")
AIM nib bcg
Damage industries lower parts
Rainier trigger guard
Magpul K2
CMC trigger
MFT minimalist stock
Low pro gas black and tube from red barn
MAS defense barrel
Vg6 epsilon
NTD Ti fang fwd assist (thanks comp)

With this being a budget conscious build, I think I hit the mark. All told, with some of these parts being free/gifts, I have $767 in this rifle, minus the stamp and optics. Hoping to try some of the optics from the t&e program before I settle on something.

Ride4frnt
2 January 2015, 10:19
UW is gonna feel some kinda way about this one. Here she blows, in all of her pending NFA gloriness. I shall call her "Mustang Sally"

Anderson lower, cmc trigger, Rainier trigger guard, damage industries 45 degree ambi selector, magpul k2

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/0D9B3C24-541F-4B31-B9FC-710B9C75368A_zpsjsaddoeg.jpg

UWone77
3 January 2015, 17:06
UW is gonna feel some kinda way about this one. Here she blows, in all of her pending NFA gloriness. I shall call her "Mustang Sally"

Anderson lower, cmc trigger, Rainier trigger guard, damage industries 45 degree ambi selector, magpul k2

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/0D9B3C24-541F-4B31-B9FC-710B9C75368A_zpsjsaddoeg.jpg

Ha...

Looks good, I would not have personally used an Anderson lower, but it's not my gun either.

Good start!

Ride4frnt
3 January 2015, 17:10
Ha...

Looks good, I would not have personally used an Anderson lower, but it's not my gun either.

Good start!

It was the first choice, but it's what I could get in maryland. I could've ordered a lower, but it's 75 extra for transfers. MD FFL's lost a lot of money through the ban, so they jacked online transfers up to recoup I guess. The lower actually has a really nice finish, and nothing is out of spec. I think the fit is better than my first forged lower as well, which is a spikes.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/DDD710CF-1104-4A44-B16C-242CFDE71A0A_zps6b0ocemo.jpg

UWone77
3 January 2015, 17:16
I forgot about your draconian MD laws. What barrel are you going with?

Ride4frnt
3 January 2015, 17:26
I forgot about your draconian MD laws. What barrel are you going with?

As I intended this the be a budget build from the beginning, and it's not a huge investment that will make me cry if I ever need to replace it, I'm gonna try the Mas Defense stainless 10.5". I've heard nothing but good reviews, so I'll give it a go.

Dstrbdmedic167
3 January 2015, 21:27
Don't worry UW I still give him hell about that long gone San Tan Tactical lower!!

Ride4frnt
4 January 2015, 08:09
Don't worry UW I still give him hell about that long gone San Tan Tactical lower!!

F off. That's true. Had the giveaway been a month later this would be a san tan SBR.

Dstrbdmedic167
4 January 2015, 08:12
F off. That's true. Had the giveaway been a month later this would be a san tan SBR.

Love Ya mean it!!

Ride4frnt
5 January 2015, 11:59
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/A74CFC21-08FD-4BB9-98B6-5F46BF5A9415_zpsjujvnntc.jpg

Down to needing a barrel and a stamp!

DutyUse
5 January 2015, 12:33
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/A74CFC21-08FD-4BB9-98B6-5F46BF5A9415_zpsjujvnntc.jpg

Down to needing a barrel and a stamp!

Skeet Skeet Skeet… omg so sexy ;)

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 11:31
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/7AE530E1-E2A4-48F3-B7FD-0AD13ED024E1_zpst8tg68fn.jpg

Mas defense 10.5" .223wylde 1:8 barrel. Vg6 epsilon

Pyzik
9 January 2015, 11:56
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/7AE530E1-E2A4-48F3-B7FD-0AD13ED024E1_zpst8tg68fn.jpg

Soooo purdy.

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 12:08
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/5CAE3893-29DF-4980-B8B8-90843D9D21B3_zpsbsuhldo5.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/9505F44C-B7C9-4B32-9505-2DC856A8C236_zpse6y6yt4e.jpg

Pyzik
9 January 2015, 12:33
Nooooo! What have you done!?
Just kidding.

I can't wait to see this thing together.

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 12:42
Nooooo! What have you done!?
Just kidding.

I can't wait to see this thing together.

Don't get me wrong, looks like an awesome barrel for the money, but I couldn't take the machine marks and all that shine. Left the gas block area shiny and blasted the rest. I call it "NO"veske.

DutyUse
9 January 2015, 15:49

Bling I like it

Edit: now not so bling lol ;)

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 16:06
Now yall are making me feel bad for blasting it. Jason made me do it!

DutyUse
9 January 2015, 16:10
No I like the matte

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 16:16
Me too. My thing was you're only gonna see an inch of barrel anyways. Why live with machine marks and scratches I wasn't happy with.

Gaspipeshooter
9 January 2015, 16:47
Nice job. Your blasted finish looks very uniform.

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 17:44
Nice job. Your blasted finish looks very uniform.

Thanks. Actually blasted it twice since that pic. Found a few small irregularities in my finish, touched it up.

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 19:33
Okay folks... How do you protect your stainless barrels? They show oils from finger prints line none other. I'm gonna give it a light coat of fireclean before I install the barrel. Is this a good idea? What do you do to protect them?

UWone77
9 January 2015, 19:39
Okay folks... How do you protect your stainless barrels? They show oils from finger prints line none other. I'm gonna give it a light coat of fireclean before I install the barrel. Is this a good idea? What do you do to protect them?

I've done nothing special to any of my stainless barrels, and haven't had any issues with them.

I'm sure a light coat of oil wouldn't hurt.

Ride4frnt
9 January 2015, 20:32
I've done nothing special to any of my stainless barrels, and haven't had any issues with them.

I'm sure a light coat of oil wouldn't hurt.

That's what I'm thinking. My noveske barrel didn't show fingerprints like this. Granted, this isn't a $450 barrel. I'll hit it with oil. Worst comes to worst I'll cerakote it. Recently got access to a shop with a huge oven (guy who owns it powder coats) and I have the rest of the equipment needed. 30 bucks buys me the stainless cerakote.

Which brings me to my next subject. Gonna coat the receiver set and rail in armor or graphite black, so I may just hit the barrel for shits and gigs.

JHoward
10 January 2015, 05:56
Just Krylon it. :D

Dstrbdmedic167
10 January 2015, 06:11

😱😱😱😱

GaSwamper
10 January 2015, 18:28
Hey, Krylon is just as good as Duracote, its the top finish that matters.

DutyUse
10 January 2015, 22:18

I sprayed my first AR the Rock River with a Krylon job and put it through hell… I mean it wasn't pretty but the spray paint was still mostly there when I sold it during the panic

Ride4frnt
4 February 2015, 18:53
Well, the day has come. My pistol turned into a SBR build. Some parts were bought, some were free, some were gifts. All told I'm in this rifle $944 including the stamp. Price does not include optics. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and cannot wait to shoot it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/15823772243_fca990a123_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/15821298474_d4a80b06bc_c.jpg

toolboxluis00200
4 February 2015, 19:00
congrats now shot the crap out of it

GOST
4 February 2015, 19:01
For rifle that nice $944 is very impressive.

Ride4frnt
4 February 2015, 19:35
For rifle that nice $944 is very impressive.

Yep I thought so too. I bought everything over the course of 8 months. The stock, grip, and forward assist were all given to me, and the stripped upper was free with a black hole weaponry barrel I bought for my SPR build. Everything else was bought on sale, or found for a sweet deal (nib bcg for 90 shipped for example).

Dstrbdmedic167
4 February 2015, 19:40
Yep I thought so too. I bought everything over the course of 8 months. The stock, grip, and forward assist were all given to me, and the stripped upper was free with a black hole weaponry barrel I bought for my SPR build. Everything else was bought on sale, or found for a sweet deal (nib bcg for 90 shipped for example).

Don't lie you stole the parts... Just think how much sweeter it'd be of it was a San tan lower... 😁

toolboxluis00200
4 February 2015, 19:50
Well, the day has come. My pistol turned into a SBR build. Some parts were bought, some were free, some were gifts. All told I'm in this rifle $944 including the stamp. Price does not include optics. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and cannot wait to shoot it.

is it me or is your castle nut is backwards

Ride4frnt
4 February 2015, 20:49
is it me or is your castle nut is backwards

Not backward.

toolboxluis00200
4 February 2015, 20:53
your wright silly me

Txfilmmaker
4 February 2015, 21:14
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutyUse
4 February 2015, 22:35

Wow makes it even more impressive :). Congrats on the stamp

mustangfreek
5 February 2015, 02:43
Nice...Me jealous!!!!

Kopis
5 February 2015, 07:54
wow, it looks so scary! [:D]

Ride4frnt
5 February 2015, 07:58
wow, it looks so scary! [:D]

It's the most threatening thing I've ever held, especially since I live in maryland...