PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision .308 Receiver set

Gaspipeshooter
18 July 2014, 17:46
My Aero Precision set showed up today. Please excuse the rank amateur pictures, but here is the set:

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/308A.jpg

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/308B.jpg

Haven't done a darn thing with it, but so far I am very happy with the look, feel, and quality of the set. Next on the agenda is putting together a parts build list. Suggestions welcomed...

UWone77
18 July 2014, 18:05
Well,

You decide on a LPK? You'll need some 308 take down pins and bolt catch. Otherwise it's the same as an AR15 LPK (in case you haven't put a 308 together before)

Looks great! Interesting that they put their STS markings on the safety, but it doesn't appear to be cut out for a 45 degree selector.

What purpose are you going to build this to? Or leaning towards?

Gaspipeshooter
18 July 2014, 18:29
UWone77, I am familiar with the differences in the platforms; I recently built a .308 gun on the CMT Billet receiver set, with the 20" Rainier Arms Select barrel for a friend of mine. Put a Timney trigger in it as it is basically a bench gun. I have all the small parts for the LPK, so the takedown pins, bolt catch, and the FCG are on the list. Probably going with a Geissele trigger set.

I haven't really decided on a specific purpose. Thinking maybe an 18" barrel, probably a Rainier Arms 18" Select barrel or possibly a Mega Arms. Sort of a semi - SPR/Bench/Whatever??? rifle. 20" of barrel is more than I want to deal with, especially with a muzzle device, but 16" just doesn't "feel right" to me for a .308 rifle. I've decided for one of my .223/5.56 Mega Arms billet sets I'm going to do a 5.56 gun with Rainier's MEDCON 18" barrel, so the 18" .308 seems like a good fit.

I've never owned a gun with a Magpul UBR or PRS, but those are on my consideration list, along with the ACS. That's about as far as I've gotten...

mustangfreek
19 July 2014, 02:15
Nice..

One day ill build a 308, and the aero set looks like a good value.

Gaspipeshooter
19 July 2014, 04:19
Mustangfreek, I agree completely on it being a good value, but time will tell for sure. As I said previously, I built a .308 gun on the CMT Billet Receiver set for a friend. For what I'm going to do with it, I don't see the need to spend the almost $200.00 more to get the billet set, and there is a good chance I'll Gun-Kote this or camo it in some fashion anyway. I like that the Aero set has the forward assist and dust cover capability; the CMT does not have forward assist but does accept a dust cover. Lots of folks see no need for either; to me personally they are just an essential part of an AR platform.

voodoo_man
19 July 2014, 06:37
damn it, this makes me want to start a 308 build.

UWone77
19 July 2014, 06:45
UWone77, I am familiar with the differences in the platforms; I recently built a .308 gun on the CMT Billet receiver set, with the 20" Rainier Arms Select barrel for a friend of mine. Put a Timney trigger in it as it is basically a bench gun. I have all the small parts for the LPK, so the takedown pins, bolt catch, and the FCG are on the list. Probably going with a Geissele trigger set.

I haven't really decided on a specific purpose. Thinking maybe an 18" barrel, probably a Rainier Arms 18" Select barrel or possibly a Mega Arms. Sort of a semi - SPR/Bench/Whatever??? rifle. 20" of barrel is more than I want to deal with, especially with a muzzle device, but 16" just doesn't "feel right" to me for a .308 rifle. I've decided for one of my .223/5.56 Mega Arms billet sets I'm going to do a 5.56 gun with Rainier's MEDCON 18" barrel, so the 18" .308 seems like a good fit.

I've never owned a gun with a Magpul UBR or PRS, but those are on my consideration list, along with the ACS. That's about as far as I've gotten...

I think the ACS-L is the best "carbine" type stock for a 308. If you're looking at a precision stock, check out the LUTH-AR Stock.

If you go with the Mega Arms Barrel, just know that it's too wide near the barrel extension to fit a Centurion Arms CMR Barrel Nut... that's if you were planning to go with that particular handguard.

Gaspipeshooter
19 July 2014, 07:15
UWone77, thanks for the input, and the information on the Centurion Arms handguard. I haven't gotten that far, but was leaning in the direction of something fairly light. Maybe the Midwest Industries Keymod rail: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1230 If I choose the Rainier Arms Select barrel, will that Centurion Arms fit that? Another question on the Centurion: does it have some type of anti-rotation tab built into the back that indexes on the receiver?

UWone77
19 July 2014, 20:31
UWone77, thanks for the input, and the information on the Centurion Arms handguard. I haven't gotten that far, but was leaning in the direction of something fairly light. Maybe the Midwest Industries Keymod rail: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1230 If I choose the Rainier Arms Select barrel, will that Centurion Arms fit that? Another question on the Centurion: does it have some type of anti-rotation tab built into the back that indexes on the receiver?

A Select barrel will fit a Centurion CMR. They also have an anti-rotiation feature, but it's similar to the NSR.

I do like the Midwest Industries Handguards. They've really stepped it up the last year or two. The Fortis SWITCH is also an option for a 308 handguard.

I have CMT Receiver set I'm thinking about building up here, but I'm undecided on the handguards as well, so I'll be watching your thread to see how you decide.

KevinBLC
20 July 2014, 17:56
I'd go with the full meal deal... PRS... Match or Ultramatch ra barrel, and a CMC or similar trigger.

Might as well go all out!!

robs_g23
12 September 2014, 09:23
Looks like a very nice set. Maybe a build for my next AR10 type...

WHSmithIV
14 September 2014, 23:18
I did some searching and research for .308 parts around 6 months ago just out of curiosity. the core components seem to be where all the differences from an AR 15 are. Barrel, receivers, BCG and magazine for the most part. Once past the receivers it was easy enough to find affordable parts to build one though the barrels tend to be a bit pricey. One of my customers just bought a .308 DPMS AR 10 for $1300 new. I guess he bought it from a gun shop down in Idaho falls since that's the closest place. I think he probably paid extra to put the Burris red dot sight on it - I'll have to ask him next time I see him. The rifle may have dome with the red dot.

I would very much like an AR as a hunting rifle. That would replace my old .303 Lee Enflied. Available AR calibers are excellent hunting calibers. It will be a while though before I can build one and even when I do it will end up having to be part by part. However, I think in the long run it's worth it. What length barrel are you thinking of putting on it? I'll probably go with a 20" barrel when I build one - especially if I build an AR in .338 Lapua. Probably go to 24" for .338 Lapua.

Update: Just did some searching - can't find ANY .338 Lapua barrels - do find barrels in .338 Federal though.

Slippers
15 September 2014, 00:20
I would very much like an AR as a hunting rifle. That would replace my old .303 Lee Enflied. Available AR calibers are excellent hunting calibers. It will be a while though before I can build one and even when I do it will end up having to be part by part. However, I think in the long run it's worth it. What length barrel are you thinking of putting on it? I'll probably go with a 20" barrel when I build one - especially if I build an AR in .338 Lapua. Probably go to 24" for .338 Lapua.

Update: Just did some searching - can't find ANY .338 Lapua barrels - do find barrels in .338 Federal though.

If you're referring to .338 lapua magnum, the round is too big to fit in a .308 AR receiver. It's almost twice as long as .308.

You'd have to go with something like a Nemo for an ARish platform for .338 lapua magnum. This isn't a recommendation - I have no experience with Nemo rifles.

.338 federal uses a .308 case and is necked up, but your barrel and factory ammo selections are limited compared to .308 and you'll only get a small ballistic gain. Most people will tell you that with the right ammo and shot placement, .308 can take down any game in north america.

WHSmithIV
15 September 2014, 01:36
If you're referring to .338 lapua magnum, the round is too big to fit in a .308 AR receiver. It's almost twice as long as .308.

You'd have to go with something like a Nemo for an ARish platform for .338 lapua magnum. This isn't a recommendation - I have no experience with Nemo rifles.

.338 federal uses a .308 case and is necked up, but your barrel and factory ammo selections are limited compared to .308 and you'll only get a small ballistic gain. Most people will tell you that with the right ammo and shot placement, .308 can take down any game in north america.

I've been curious about this and have been trying to research data on it. I can take down any game with my old .303 Lee Enfield. That's not why I've been wanting to build for a .338 Lapua though. I want to be able to make one mile shots with it reliably. Why? Just so I can. there is very little data available for building an AR platform for .338 Lapua. There are some complete rifles available and they are called AR -30's.

Certainly a .308 will take down any game, but even the 6.5 Grendel cartridge is better than the .308 for distance. 6.5 Grendel is accurate to 800 yards and at 500 yards the bullet is still supersonic. That's the point where it catches up to the .308 and actually passes it in flight. 6.5 Grendel though is an AR 15 platform cartridge, not an AR 10 platform cartridge.

I certainly have no objection to building an AR 10 in .308 - .308 is readily available and easy to get. I'd love to be able to reliable make one mile shots - granted, I'd probably need a couple grand worth of optics to do so just so I could see the darn target at that distance. It's nice to dream though :)

Slippers
15 September 2014, 02:01
Well you did lead the paragraph about .338 Lapua with the lines, "I would very much like an AR as a hunting rifle. That would replace my old .303 Lee Enflied." Definitely had me curious why you'd hunt with .338 Lapua Magnum. :)

Anyway, be careful with the AR-30 designation. Generally this refers to a bolt gun that isn't of the AR-15/10 pattern. Occasionally people try to call a .300 blackout rifle an "AR30," too, probably because KAC sells their SR30, which is .300 blackout.

Building an AR style rifle (not an AR30 bolt gun) for .338 Lapua Magnum yourself would be tough. Just look at the fragmentation of the AR10/SR25 realm with the different receiver sets, magazine compatibility, receiver heights, and barrel/bolt combinations. If you want a semi-automatic .338 Lapua Magnum you'll be buying a boutique gun.

Gaspipeshooter
15 September 2014, 05:07
One of my customers just bought a .308 DPMS AR 10 for $1300 new.

Before optics & bipod, the .308 gun I built for a good friend of mine set him back about $2,100. That was with high quality components all the way around; CMT Billet receiver set, Rainier Arms Select 20" polygonal rifled barrel, CMT BCG which was headspaced by CMT, (I sent the complete upper to them after it was built), Timney single stage 4 lb trigger, and a Midwest Industries Gen 2 15" handguard. He added a nice Leupold scope and a bipod. I'd rather build from the ground up and have exactly what I want, than buy and change a bunch of stuff out, and end up with the same or more money in a gun.

Dstrbdmedic167
15 September 2014, 05:26
Before optics & bipod, the .308 gun I built for a good friend of mine set him back about $2,100. That was with high quality components all the way around; CMT Billet receiver set, Rainier Arms Select 20" polygonal rifled barrel, CMT BCG which was headspaced by CMT, (I sent the complete upper to them after it was built), Timney single stage 4 lb trigger, and a Midwest Industries Gen 2 15" handguard. He added a nice Leupold scope and a bipod. I'd rather build from the ground up and have exactly what I want, than buy and change a bunch of stuff out, and end up with the same or more money in a gun.

+1... I swapped parts on my first AR.. ended up with almost twice as much in it by the time i got it like I wanted it. As far as 308 sized rifles are concerned to me its one of the times that not all parts are created equal...