PDA

View Full Version : Finishing touches on my first build

GR1M
18 July 2014, 19:05
So I finished my first ar build and now I'm looking at upgrades so I can polish it up and finally finish it. I'm leaning toward a tactical rifle (as a buddy of mine calls it) for when the "zombies" come knocking. Right now I'm trying to decide between a couple things......

Optic..... Aimpoint PRO vs Eotech EXPS2-0..... From the price point, both will cost around the same with an aftermarket mount for the PRO. I've tried both and want both but not sure about which one would have the advantage in an urban/cqb environment. I noticed that the "forces" use more aimpoints and law enforcement uses eotechs.

Trigger....... Geissele SSA vs Geissele SD-C..... Not sure if a single or double stage trigger would work better for getting the most rounds down range in the fastest amount of time.

....... After I finish this up I'll build a higher end rifle. Maybe in 6.8.

KevinBLC
18 July 2014, 20:11
This thread is worthless without PICS!

GOST
18 July 2014, 21:33
On the Aimpoint vs Eotech I would try both out and get what works best for you.

GR1M
18 July 2014, 23:45
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg536/k1ngc0ld/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/2B305772-B787-4BC4-BDE5-24FCA8A4B0A3_zpsohbwubtf.jpg (http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/k1ngc0ld/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/2B305772-B787-4BC4-BDE5-24FCA8A4B0A3_zpsohbwubtf.jpg.html)

The upper......
- BCM 16" 1:7 twist middy
- ares armor bcg
- Magpul moe handguard & vert grip
- Magpul rear mbus
- BCM gunfighter mod 3 charging handle

Coming soon...
- surefire mb556k brake
- Inforce 6vx flash light with an IWC 1" top mount in slot.... Mount
- BCM mpi/hp bcg
- a red dot

The lower......
- Anderson am-15 stripped lower
- PSA moe lpk
- Raddlock bullet button (Kalifornia)
- BCM buffer tube with spike's st-t2 buffer
- b5 bravo stock

Coming soon.....
- geissele trigger
- Magpul k2 grip with cr123 core
- BCM ambi safety lever

That's my xd 9mm that I'll get into later.

GR1M
18 July 2014, 23:57
I've tried both at the range and would be happy with either one. Having no real hands on experience with either one I'm open to hear anyone's opinion. For this rifle I want something that is "fast". I want to be fast on the target and have the ability to put rounds down range fast.

rob_s
19 July 2014, 04:49
You can't win the race if you're stuck in the pits. I've had multiple Aimpoints and multiple Eotechs, and seen plenty of both at the range. My last eotech, and EXPS, is sitting in a bin, broken. Evidently it "leaked" or something and it now won't get bright enough to be visible in daylight.

There are LOTS of supporters of Eotechs that will tell you about their sample of one that is "flawless" and "tier one operators" that swear by them (with an armory to support them) but I've seen more Eotechs fail than Aimpoints. The XPS was supposed to be the panacea that fixed the battery issues, which is why I bought one, but they aren't exactly so "flawless" after all.

As to which is "faster", that's a training issue. Some people will swear by one or the other, and I used to buy into that hype, but having used both I can't tell a difference.

GaSwamper
19 July 2014, 06:17
Nice lookin setup. The double stage triggers will do better for long range for most folks, save it for the 6.8. As far as optics it's pretty much like Gost said just gotta see what works for you. If you do get serious about 6.8 check out the 68forums, everything you need to know about the platform. It and this forum is about the only ones I recommend for useful info without the drama so it's GTG.

camomike
19 July 2014, 06:23
The exps2 has a 65 moa ring. It allows your eye to catch it faster than the 2 moa dot on the aimpoints. That can be trained out though.

The aimpoint has a 3 year battery life while switched on. The eotech has an auto shutoff after a couple hours. In my opinion, reaching for a rifle and having the sight on saves more time. I give the nod to the aimpoint for that reason alone. I'm not trying to find buttons to turn it on in a dark bedroom, while amped on adrenaline. YMMV

GOST
19 July 2014, 12:57
For RDS's I like Aimpoint, mainly for durability. Once I find a Trijicon SRS02 for cheap enough I'll probably try one of those next. For me the 65 MOA ring clutters my vision a little, but for some it helps out.

GR1M
19 July 2014, 13:03
I've been doing research on both for the passed few months and you're the only person that I've heard say anything about eotech failures. Now I'm leaning toward the aimpoint now.

camomike
19 July 2014, 13:11
GR1M, All electronic sights are capable of failing. That's why RTS, flip to sides and quick levers on mounts are so important. You want to be able to get at your irons quickly if the need arises. Bare minimum you want a large enough field of vision through/around your sight to still be able to use the rifle effectively.

gatordev
19 July 2014, 13:13
Interestingly, I was running some "tests" today (for no one other than myself) with a timer while shooting one gun with an EXPS and one gun with a PRO. I was actually running a couple of very simple drills to see the difference between the rifles and not the optics, but perhaps this is germane.

I don't really buy into the hype between one being "faster" than another as I'm more concerned with a) is it 1/3 co-witnessed (I find it more comfortable/easier to find the dot) and b) battery life (in that non-linear order...battery life is a nice to have but not the end all requirement for me). While I did find that I didn't feel like I had to lift the gun up quite as much for the dot to come on target for the PRO (in a Larue mount), guess what? My times were pretty much the same. For one of the drills between two targets, was running ~1.5-1.8 seconds. The specific numbers don't really matter, but what's important is that the only time I really got much below that spread was when I took my can off of the rifle with the PRO which made it much lighter and I could move the rifle a little faster (but only .1 seconds or so).

Either will work just fine. If you really want to get into the details, yes you can use the Eotech ring for different holds, but honestly, if you learn your holds for either optic, you can just put the dot where you need to make your POI where you want it.

UWone77
20 July 2014, 11:37
I've been doing research on both for the passed few months and you're the only person that I've heard say anything about eotech failures. Now I'm leaning toward the aimpoint now.

I've owned 6 or 7 EoTech's... they've all failed on me. Every single one had the battery compartment issue.

I haven't tried the new XPS, but even the XPS can't touch the Aimpoint in battery life. I keep my optic on at all times, so when you're ready to deploy, you don't have to dick around with the buttons on the EoTech to see that it's set at the correct brightness.

However, I like the EoTech reticle better.

FortTom
20 July 2014, 13:56
I've owned 6 or 7 EoTech's... they've all failed on me. Every single one had the battery compartment issue.

I haven't tried the new XPS, but even the XPS can't touch the Aimpoint in battery life. I keep my optic on at all times, so when you're ready to deploy, you don't have to dick around with the buttons on the EoTech to see that it's set at the correct brightness.

However, I like the EoTech reticle better.

I know it's just a vision and personal preference thing, but I'm just the opposite. I hated the reticle in the only EoTech I ever owned. Sold it for a loss, a week or two after I got it, just to get rid of it.

Also, felt the same way about the buttons on it than you do. Except for a LMT with a scope for plinking and coyotes, everything else wears an Aimpoint of one kind or another.

Holding my breath, hoping the T1's or H1's prices to fall with the release of the T2.

FT

UWone77
20 July 2014, 15:00
I know it's just a vision and personal preference thing, but I'm just the opposite. I hated the reticle in the only EoTech I ever owned. Sold it for a loss, a week or two after I got it, just to get rid of it.

Also, felt the same way about the buttons on it than you do. Except for a LMT with a scope for plinking and coyotes, everything else wears an Aimpoint of one kind or another.

Holding my breath, hoping the T1's or H1's prices to fall with the release of the T2.

FT

FT, H1's are already down to $485 shipped.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Aimpoint-Micro-H-1-200026-2-MOA-Red-Dot-Sight-p/200026.htm

Might see some $400 used ones by the end of the year if the T2 releases on time.

FortTom
20 July 2014, 15:48
FT, H1's are already down to $485 shipped.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Aimpoint-Micro-H-1-200026-2-MOA-Red-Dot-Sight-p/200026.htm

Might see some $400 used ones by the end of the year if the T2 releases on time.
UW. Wow! almost pulled the trigger on that, but I've got a little time, I need to finish the lower for the "ultra lite" I built. I did all the testing on an existing lower. Been dragging my butt a little between Trap and getting ready for hunting season. Also going to try to work in some plates at local club. I don't know when the T2 is supposed to be released (I'll google it), but I was hoping to see new H1's hit the $400 mark.

GOST
20 July 2014, 20:01
Come on $400 h1.

rob_s
21 July 2014, 03:27

Really? When I was actively participating in online forums at large that's all you heard about. Either things have changed or your not looking very hard.

I think the XPS line did correct some of the issues the older Eotechs had, which were largely due to the batteries being in-line with the recoil and thereby compressing the springs (not an issue with the smaller, lighter, legacy aimpint batteries). But there have always been build quality issues as well, as evidenced by mine which mostly sat in the safe and still developed a leak.

GR1M
24 July 2014, 17:25
UW. Wow! almost pulled the trigger on that, but I've got a little time, I need to finish the lower for the "ultra lite" I built. I did all the testing on an existing lower. Been dragging my butt a little between Trap and getting ready for hunting season. Also going to try to work in some plates at local club. I don't know when the T2 is supposed to be released (I'll google it), but I was hoping to see new H1's hit the $400 mark.

I heard the t-2 will be out in September

GR1M
24 July 2014, 17:55
Really? When I was actively participating in online forums at large that's all you heard about. Either things have changed or your not looking very hard.

I think the XPS line did correct some of the issues the older Eotechs had, which were largely due to the batteries being in-line with the recoil and thereby compressing the springs (not an issue with the smaller, lighter, legacy aimpint batteries). But there have always been build quality issues as well, as evidenced by mine which mostly sat in the safe and still developed a leak.

Haven't looked very hard..... An optic is on my list, after a muzzle device, trigger and flashlight set up.

Cobalt
24 July 2014, 18:47
Come on $400 h1.

One can only hope. If they come down to 400 I would sell my 517 and pick one up.

KevinBLC
24 July 2014, 18:56
One can only hope. If they come down to 400 I would sell my 517 and pick one up.

I wonder how many people are waiting for a huge drop that might or might not happen? If it does, I'm game for a $400 T1. If it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised, especially if, aimpoint wants some big markup like $800 for a T2

bzdog
24 July 2014, 19:21
While a price drop would be nice, I wouldn't bet on it. I could see the T2 replace the T1 and the H1 staying where it is. In that case, the T1 used market might be impacted but not the new market.

-john

Cobalt
24 July 2014, 19:27
I wonder how many people are waiting for a huge drop that might or might not happen? If it does, I'm game for a $400 T1. If it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised, especially if, aimpoint wants some big markup like $800 for a T2

It kind of makes sense they would drop the price. If the T2 is going to be sold at 800 then previous model should be lowered. This is all part of the "I hope" category. lol